Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if you've ever enjoyed a musical, film or otherwise, you owe it to yourself to see it

it's a fairly straight forward "boy and girl meet antagonistically then fall in love" romcom plot but it moves along quickly enough to keep the pace light, the musical numbers are all excellent, and just when the movie starts to feel too long it ends with one of the best film sequences all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Just moved to LA from NYC and I don't usually gravitate toward musicals, but this absolutely blew me away. Couldn't stop grinning (and tearing up at points). Jammed the soundtrack on my drive to work and not even the traffic could get me down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

oscar bump

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd like to see it. Ryan Gosling is one of my favourite actors.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
it's a musical about jazz for people who don't really love musicals or jazz, but it was pleasant enough. good beginning and ending but weak middle.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My friend was an extra on a Woody Allen film and he got to talk to Emma Stone for a few minutes, she said he looked like a Wes Anderson character.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is this a chick flick, or is this something a manly man such as myself can enjoy

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is this a chick flick, or is this something a manly man such as myself can enjoy

gently caress you, is what i say. gently caress ou in the rear end.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

You could say it has broad appeal

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it was just ok

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I absolutely disliked it. Oscar bait with no personality, originality and character. Hard pass!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I want to smooch Ryan Gosling

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

quote:

"Who are we? And, you know, what is Hollywood anyway? It's just a bunch of people from other places." These words from actress Meryl Streep after accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards were an appeal to the importance and the power of the arts – the power of movies to fight back against real violence in the world. "Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners," she said, "and if we kick them all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts."

But what is the power that movies have over us? What power do dreams have? I think I found the answer in La La Land.

The movie opens with an energetic musical scene that evokes the bustle of the LA freeway, and its magic had me immediately captivated thanks to its joyous music and dazzling colors. These vibrant and extravagant early scenes are a powerful reminder of the golden age of post-WWII musicals like An American in Paris, Singing in the Rain or The Band Wagon.

Modern Hollywood movies rarely include the kinds of scene compositions that really shine here. Immediately it demonstrates that this isn't our Los Angeles, but instead is a whimsical dreamland where movie fantasies and the American dream live hand in hand. It's here where an aspiring jazz pianist (Ryan Gosling) and a hopeful actress (Emma Stone) meet, fall in love and chase their dreams together. It’s a classic, bittersweet and heart-swelling tale that I think anyone can relate to.

This dreamland vision of LA in the movie is depicted passing through four distinct seasons, and as time passes, the two lovers grow closer, encounter hardship, and gradually edge closer and closer to achieving their dreams. With each step toward their goals though, the vibrant colors of the fantasy world steadily fade away. As the dream becomes reality, the real LA seeps in. The fading colors of the world communicate that dreams can't be made reality without sacrifice – but what does this leave? Just an innocuous reality? I really don’t think so, and I think that is the real message of the movie.

Viewing the two on their journey, the movie leads the audience to the realization that this is not actually a dreamland after all. In the end, we see Emma Stone’s character riding in a car as it leaves the freeway, and heads back into LA, and we're left to wonder what awaits her there.

Musicals – which I think are the embodiment of the Hollywood dream – began to fade out in the late 1960s. America was knee-deep in the Vietnam war, and classic cinema gave way to New Hollywood, but this change didn’t signify the end of movies all together. Although musicals are all but extinct, movies continue to show us new dreams. Had La La Land been a simple Hollywood golden age revival film that just touched on America’s ideological past, it may have passed me by, but it pulled me in because it zips along the highway of dreams and races through the real LA before heading off toward a new dream.

La La Land shows us both the sweet and bitter sides of both creating and viewing a movie as inhabitants in our modern world, of having a dream and making it a reality. That’s why there’s the urge to watch it again and again. It’s the story of an unflinching modern day dream that only a movie can portray.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
it was a pleasant movie. there's no violence really and no one ever threatens another person's life.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if it loses Best Picture it'll be an even bigger shock than when Brokeback Mountain lost to Crash

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This movie was good, and I liked it. I liked the actors. I liked the songs. The story was...there. But man. Through no fault of its own, yet another movie *about* white people struggling in Hollywood is going to sweep the awards season. If they're not going to give awards to the objectively best movies (which everyone recognizes and accepts) then maybe something like Moonlight should win.

gently caress it, though. Everyone knows they're all just popularity contests and most of the voters don't even see half of the nominated movies.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

This movie was good, and I liked it. I liked the actors. I liked the songs. The story was...there. But man. Through no fault of its own, yet another movie *about* white people struggling in Hollywood is going to sweep the awards season. If they're not going to give awards to the objectively best movies (which everyone recognizes and accepts) then maybe something like Moonlight should win.

gently caress it, though. Everyone knows they're all just popularity contests and most of the voters don't even see half of the nominated movies.

PleASE DONT BE A SALTY HATER sorry caps lock

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm not. I liked the movie and I'm glad a lot of people have watched it and liked it and it made a lot of money and Ryan Gosling was so pretty. And Emma Stone was pretty too I guess.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I mean of the oscars. Theyre fine. It's a cool spectacle that gets normies to watch good movies. Of course their not fair but no art contest is. It doesn't matter if moonlight or la la land wins, both are fine.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the reason La La Land will win is not because ~white people~ but because it's a movie about Hollywood, and there is no better way to guarantee a major awards haul than to play to the egos of Academy voters. see also: Birdman, The Artist

i haven't seen it since movies are too expensive in NYC. i'm sure it's a pleasant way to kill some time, but it screams that it's pandering

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It definitely panders (a lot), but that didn't stop me from really enjoying it. It made me have a theater experience I wasn't used to having with both happy and sad beats played different than a lot of other movies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im a sucker for Busby Berkeley sized spectacles and in an age where stuff like that simply doesn't exist it was awesome to see. It has a very weird fetishization of Hollywood's Golden Age that rings especially bizarre considering the guy who wrote it was born in the 80s but whatever. People love pining for old crap.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HP Hovercraft posted:

it's a musical about jazz for people who don't really love musicals or jazz, but it was pleasant enough
I generally *hate* jazz unless it's something dank, oldschool with a recognizable artist.. I loved this movie a lot more than it had any right to entertain me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

try the new taco place posted:

it was a pleasant movie. there's no violence really and no one ever threatens another person's life.

yeah, that kinda sucked

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I generally *hate* jazz unless it's something dank, oldschool with a recognizable artist.. I loved this movie a lot more than it had any right to entertain me.

saying you hate jazz is like saying you hate all rock music

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i hate all rock music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

i hate all rock music

the raspy school of trolling

• Locked thread