Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
welp

at least i died a dwarf, not a weredeer

also, the walled off weredeerdwarves will not die of starvation, thirst, illness, or wounds. they might manage to commit suicide but it's unlikely! otoh if they're well and truly walled off, then as long as they live, the fortress can receive migrants. :getin:

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

vanisher posted:

Subjunctive is traumatized after Piso Mojado died in front of him and won't do any of the work I've laid out for him to occupy his eternal existence.

I just need a minute, I'll be OK.

vanisher

:frogsiren:My year is up!!:frogsiren:

Luckily, it was pretty uneventful for the rest of the year so I could concentrate on my super secret master project! Super secret master project will be shown in later screenshots. Here's the fort!

We start with the entrance of the fort, which is actually 3 or 4 levels above the ground level.

You can see the safety lever for security into the fort and some basic traps, along with Subjunctive the Weredeer trapped in the old hospital. Subjunctive sleeps basically all the time. I've given him some tasks to do (like smooth walls), but he just sleeps. There's a couple workshops on this level.

You can see we have a hospital set up and it's empty (largely because the weredeer killed all our wounded). Oh my goodness I installed a mf well near the hospital! So that we don't need to run back and forth to the river over a hundred tiles to get water for our wounded! I must be some kind of dwarf genius. It's not quite built (waiting on masonry) but will be fully operational and awesome soon.

Right above this layer is a catwalk and fortification wall looking out onto the main gate for markdwarves to shoot at anyone approaching the fort. It's a pretty rad layout (not pictured).

Layer two!

Downstairs from layer 1 is more workshops and some wood storage on the right. Not a lot going on here.

Layer three!

Layer three has storage for food, goods, stone, and a bunch of rooms. I didn't have enough doors to wall them all up, since the Mason was busy making a bunch of coffins for our dead folks (FYI all dead folks are buried and GODSPEED JOHN GLEN is no longer haunting us after I made him a memorial slab).

On this layer you can see Darkman Fanpage's area. He had a bed and some nice things but when he converts into a Weredeer he destroys everything. So I basically had him dig out a couple rooms and told him to smooth and engrave everything. It will be fun to see the engravings when he is done.

Zoom in on DF area:

We have a relatively empty morgue! Yay!

Only the dead human Weredeer lays in the morgue.

Layer 4!

Kind of a boring layer. Some more storage and rooms. There's a dining room that is in sore need of being upgraded. This layer is ground level

Layer 5!

This is another boring layer. We channeled out the stream and it's doing some neat things in the fort that you'll see later. It's feeding a flood area for our farms and filling two pool areas for two wells in the base.

You'll see I installed a safety switch on the incoming river. In case we have a bad cave in or need to turn off the water all we do is throw that switch!

Layer 6!

You can see the farm setup, a switch controls flooding the farm spaces to irrigate them.

Oh snap we see the top of the room for the super secret master project I was talking about earlier. The room is two levels high, and as you can see water falls from the left of the room creating a waterfall (dwarves love to look at waterfalls).

Layer 7!

holy smokes I made a temple area!

It's really just a meeting area that we designate for worship of deities. The super excellent part is that foreign bards will not come in droves to live in our temple! It's got a waterfall on the left which the dwarves will enjoy the heck out of, and it has a well in it so they can get a little drink without going out of the fort. I also had them do engravings but I haven't even looked at what they have done yet!

This has tables and some chairs in it, but mostly it's just a meditation/unwinding area.

Layer 8!

Boring drainage layer for the waterfall and farm area. You can see we have a well in the Temple area and it goes down a bit to store water there.

That's it!!

I'll post the save here shortly.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Captain Billy Pissboy

by Nyc_Tattoo
awesome work! how many dwarves are we up to now?

vanisher

Getright downlo posted:

awesome work! how many dwarves are we up to now?

I think we have 50 folks

vanisher

While this save uploads to dropbox, here's some screenshots of the engravings:

Oh joke_explainer, how we will miss your bins.

Hmm, a letter represents our system of government.

'the ditch of insanities' is a neat name, but cut gems are boring

Mr.W: Here's my latest masterpiece 'The Confident Griffons'
These look like pigs
Mr. W: Look deeper
They still look like pigs
Mr. W: now you're beginning to understand

vanisher

'The Frame of Busts'

Pool is Closed was an excellent expedition leader, and was stacked in this reimagining of his prowess by the dwarves that lived on.

Darkman Fanpage

vanisher posted:

Subjunctive bit the transformed piso mojado weredeer, and piso bled out. Now subjunctive is alone in the room with the two bodies.

Darkman Fanpage carved himself out some rooms, and he's made a mason's workshop to busy himself with his eternal life. He's begun smoothing his tomb, and will engrave some pictures soon for us to view.

stone is my life now

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

"Poetry Fragment from the lost fortress of Great Dank" posted:

It was now midnight, and my task was drawing to a close.
I had completed the eighth, the ninth and the tenth engraving. I had finished a portion of the last and the eleventh; there remained but a single stone to be fitted and plastered in.
I struggled with its weight; I placed it partially in its destined position. But now there came from out the niche a low grinding of antlers that erected the hairs upon my head.
It was succeeded by a sad voice, which I had difficulty in recognizing as that of the noble Darkman Fanpage. The voice said--

"Ha! ha! ha! --he! he! he! --a very good joke, indeed --an excellent jest. We will have many a rich laugh about it at the Tavern --he! he! he! --over our Amontachillado--he! he! he!"

"The Amontachillado!" I said.

"He! he! he! --he! he! he! --yes, the Amontachillado. But is it not getting late? Will not they be awaiting us at the Tavern, the Lady Darkman Fanpage and the rest? Let us be gone."

"Yes," I said, "let us be gone."

"For the love of Armok, Vanisher!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of Armok!"

But to these words I hearkened in vain for a reply. I grew impatient. I called aloud --

"Darkman Fanpage!"

No answer. I called again --

"Darkman Fanpage!"

No answer still. I thrust a torch through the remaining aperture and let it fall within.
There came forth in return only a stamping of hooves. My heart grew sick; it was the dampness of the Fortress that made it so.
I hastened to make an end of my labour. I forced the last stone into its position; I engraved it over.
Against the new masonry I engraved a scene depicting Dwarf and a Deer. It is of excellent craftdwarfship. It bristles with antlers and bones. It depicts a Dwarf laughing at a dead deer. The deer is frowning For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them.
In pace requiescat!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

vanisher posted:

GODSPEED JOHN GLEN is no longer haunting us after I made him a memorial slab

Now if only real life would do the same for me, I could finally have some rest

Fish and Chimps

mmmfff
off to a good start I'd say! only a single horrible dwarf containment cell...

...yet

Darkman Fanpage

lol

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the cask of dwarven wine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

POOL IS CLOSED

i've got the save and i'm workin on getting df to actually recognize the h*ckin thing

e. okay now this weedcat is rollin

2e. post if you need an update on YOU DWARF

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED

WELL. Greatdank has a real crisis on its hands: there's no goddamn booze in this entire fort! But the byobbers are hanging in there anyways.

death sext has had a baby girl! Congratulations, death sext and MrWillsauce.

Darkman Fanpage turned into a weredeer. During his tantrum, he wrecked he very own masonry workshop. Rude, he.

Scathach was elected mayor. He's pissed about not having an office -- this must be corrected posthaste!

It's snowing like poo poo outside basically all the time.

As of the 20th of Granite, year 425, Historical Wizards has graduated from infancy to childhood. drilldo squirt became a lil' squirter on the 21st. How nice it is to have such close birthdays! Too bad it was snowing, but real dwarves don't go outside anyway.

POOL IS CLOSED

After mostly catching up on the fort layout, the first order of business is figuring out where everyone sleeps. Scathach, a Very Important Mayor, will have no more of this sleeping wherever business.

He designates the old expedition bunks as a dormitory for anyone without a room, like migrants. Then he designates all the rooms with beds in them as... bedrooms. REVOLUTIONARY! So what if there aren't enough doors to go around yet?

It's also time to cut down more trees. Everyone will want nicer beds and bigger mugs someday, and the new smelting industry needs more charcoal. Plus all this sand and clay is giving the craftier dwarves Ideas.

Those Ideas are gonna require more workshop space.

Scathach also issues orders for a central shaft to be sunk off the main staircase. This place won't be civilized until there are cave spider silk sheets for every man, woman, and hen.

A well is erected in the drinking room, but unfortunately, the water is so shallow that the bucket only picks up mud. Everyone's getting pissed about drinking the mud the other dwarves are washing off. Dammit, GODSPEED JOHN GLENN II. It's not like there's soap!

The first set of workshops are completed by the end of Granite. The next are in progress as of the 24th of Slate.

That's about when a huge migrant wave washes up against the hill fort, bringing along cave wheat and more animals! One of the migrants tumbles into the fort's territory while fighting an animal or something, which results in the first meat the fort has seen in quite a while.

That reminds Piso Mojado to make some wooden bolts.

The influx of migrants brings in some very talented administrative dwarves. Suddenly, Greatdank experiences bureaucracy!

And the weather is at last warm enough for the fruit trees to blossom.

The dwarven roster. The baby list is cut off, but eh.

death sext

I've finally realized my dream of becoming a dwarven warrior mother

joke_explainer

Did you accidentally free our imprisoned weredeer soldier? I thought he was supposed to be near that dorm section.

POOL IS CLOSED

joke_explainer posted:

Did you accidentally free our imprisoned weredeer soldier? I thought he was supposed to be near that dorm section.

Nope, he's stuck there... For now!

vanisher

joke_explainer posted:

I think maybe we made a dormitory out of the new hospital, but it shouldn't effect the use of the hospital so long as a couple beds aren't converted into bedrooms.

The blue exclamation point is Subjunctive the weredeer! He looks contained for now

POOL IS CLOSED

vanisher posted:

I think maybe we made a dormitory out of the new hospital, but it shouldn't effect the use of the hospital so long as a couple beds aren't converted into bedrooms.

The blue exclamation point is Subjunctive the weredeer! He looks contained for now

There's now a new new hospital, as I am easily lost and confused. :v:

Fish and Chimps

mmmfff
i... i am a fisherdwarf. i guess it suits the name.

POOL IS CLOSED

Towards the end of spring, Plebian Parasite begins acting rather strangely.

He kicks Lizard Wizard out of a masonry workshop and starts muttering about materials, occasionally punctuating the unnerving babble with shrieks of "I NEED LOGS! I NEED YARN CLOTH!"

Just one floor down, redneck nazgul is studiously ignoring all the hubbub thanks to ears crammed full of llama wool. Instead, he refines his craft. Soon, he'll be pumping out masterfully woven bolts like nobody's business. Sadly, the cloth always smells a bit... fishy.

As soon as nazgul's first masterpiece cloth is set aside, Parasite bursts in all wild-eyed and unchill, snatches it up in both arms, and thunders back upstairs.

Shortly thereafter, a victorious shriek shakes some dirt off the ceiling.

Plebian Parasite begins the next stage of his strange and arduous craft. As soon as the debts from betting whether or not he'd go mad are settled, new odds are given on what sort of awful thing he'll craft.

Life goes on. Picks strike the stone off the fort's entry hall to cut out a chamber for the fort's sole squad of defenders to equip and practice in. It's not going to be the grandest armory, but it'll do. GODSPEED JOHN GLENN II is nowhere to be seen during the process, but everyone suspects that he's still trying to scrub all the dirt and blood off. What's he worried about, turning into a weredeer?

Plebian Parasite finishes the coffin as the last blocks are cut free from the armory.

THE NICE COFFIN posted:

This is a gneiss coffin. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It: is encrusted with round sphalerite cabochons and encircled with bands of llama wool. This object menaces with spikes of gneiss and schorl. On the item is an image of two briolette cut gems in rose quartz. On the item is an image of warthog men in willow.

The NICE COFFIN is politely stored downstairs.

The Beerdrinkers of Greatdank have made an important step forward in husbandry. Down on the agricultural level, a new clay room has been cut out and all the poultry has been stuffed in along with some nestboxes. Now all the byobbers can enjoy eggnog and omelets! Turkey eggs turn out to be a fantastic source of protein and an invaluable hangover remedy, especially when paired with more millet beer.

Some rando no one knows from the recent migrant wave announces that she's now the baroness of Greatdank. No one has the heart to tell her that they don't care.

Meanwhile, the redundant horses, donkeys, and male llamas are slaughtered, and all their bits and bobs are broken down and disseminated throughout the workshops. Soon, the kitchen is churning out lavish meals, the tannery is putting out decent leather, the leatherworker is finally making waterskins and backpacks, and the craftsdwarf shops are making awful bone trinkets.

She's still invited to the ribbon cutting ceremony for the new armory. Plebian Parasite, now a master mason, contributes the first armor rack, which is a true masterpiece and the highlight of the otherwise rough chamber. It's scheduled to be smoothed, but it's near the end of the list of areas the engravers have been assigned to.

On the other side of the hall, a grumbling weredwarf sits next to his sole companion, the rotten skeleton of POOL IS CLOSED.

The season turns, and with it comes some fresh excitement.

The humans have come! After sighting them, mister magpie spreads the news to everyone. Any dwarf without higher priorities starts fishing up every worn-out bit of clothing they can find, plus all the creepy totems and bone crafts Scathach ordered.

The humans are inordinately excited by secondhand dwarven clothing and hideous bone scepters, so Greatdank makes out with barrels of cheese, strawberries, yarn, and cloth, plus some new liquors to titillate and amuse.

A little about Mayor Scathach!

And about our broker, Joke Explainer II!

While arrangements are made for the offices of Scathach and the fort's bookkeeper, new designations for noble quarters are also made. The baroness has been complaining about sleeping in dirt rooms, and if the fort does well, it'll probably end up with more leeches nobles moving in. Plebian Parasite gets to work on more tables, thrones, cabinets, and coffers.

The baroness is not pleased by the slow progress on her rooms, so she imposes an export ban while the human merchants haggle outside. Everyone ignores her. There's no hammerer here anyway!

The workshop expansions are finally complete. Clay boulders have been stacked up in the storage room by the kiln. Unfortunately, a cloth bag shortage has put sand collection on hold, so the glass industry gets off to a rocky start.

Another, smaller migrant wave arrives, dumping fewer than a dozen bright-eyed dwarves into the fort. All non-poultry, unclaimed animals are immediately rounded up and marked for slaughter. Greatdank eats meat tonight and wears leather shoes tomorrow!

Outside, preliminary fortifications are finished. This curtain wall will help funnel invaders while containing livestock. The two broad gaps in the wall allow wagon traffic in and out. Future modifications will likely include a dry moat around the northern and eastern walls and the additions of extra drawbridges.

The short supply of sand has prevented trap madness so far.

The new new hospital is cut out of the rock near the cistern access and the mudwell. One probably should have designated it closer to the actually functional well, but, well... At least two of the four beds have tables and traction benches, and there are facilities for storing stuff!

One of the recent arrivals snaps...

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
hot dang! every little dwarf's dream is to grow up to be an "animal dissector"

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

vanisher posted:

I might redecorate in here a bit. just some paint, a rug to cover the bigger bloodstains, maybe some throw pillows

that ok?

POOL IS CLOSED

Subjunctive posted:

I might redecorate in here a bit. just some paint, a rug to cover the bigger bloodstains, maybe some throw pillows

that ok?

you do you, dwarf-deer

it's not like you've got anywhere else to go

POOL IS CLOSED

The no-name rando migrant creates an apricot wood toy hammer which is promptly tossed into the horrible crafts pile for which Greatdank will one day be known.

The NICE COFFIN is assigned to be the baroness's tomb. She's unsurprisingly overjoyed to have her very own royal mausoleum and legendary artifact.

As the warm summer days turn to gilded autumn afternoons, the outpost liaison from the mountainhome is spotted.

He meets with Mayor Scathach and they discuss a little of what's been going on in the world since last year.

DNN posted:

A few months ago Datan Daublanced became mayor of The Great Pillar, replacing Zulur Lushtests. A few months ago Goshud Minedromance became mayor of The Hot Bolts, replacing Stinthad Chamberwhirls.

Noting the troublesome shortage of crop seeds, Scathach negotiates with the liaison. In exchange for prioritizing pigtail seeds, cave wheat, and other agricultural staples, the mountainhome expects weapons of war -- Greatdank is notable for having not just flux, but also native ores of iron, and steel weaponry is sorely needed.

The smelter is already fired day and night to make iron bars, pig iron, and most importantly, steel.

The great herds in the area also don't escape the liaison's notice. Quivers, waterskins, and other such goods that might make a moving army's life not only possible but easier are in high demand.

While Greatdank swaps jewels and bone bracelets for grains and beer, another army of migrants passes through the fort's doors. With this latest batch, more than a hundred souls live in Greatdank. The shortage of beds and space goes unaddressed while other even more basic needs are seen to.

Wine, cider, and beer casks dominate the storage cellar beneath the farms, stacked floor to ceiling. The kitchen works day and night to turn eggs and meat into fine meals before the butcher's work can spoil. Great vats of tallow are rendered from mountains of fat, and these become roasts well before the soap master can even lay his hands on a single barrel.

Far above, the carpenters saw, sand, steam, and bend the native sand pear wood into barrels, bins, and wheelbarrows. Piso Mojado the Second finds he has a knack for such work.

A third field is dug out near the new farmer's workshops and plump helmets are planted. Scathach orders the kitchens not to cook the fungus and to set the spawn aside for the fields. He also bans the kitchens from roasting the fort's supply of booze.

Many children are born in the year 425, which, while not quite as great a year as 420, nevertheless seems quite auspicious. No raids or invasions or gnarly beasts visit the fort, no one starves, and if the halls are packed with damp, unwashed dwarves, well, nobody's starving and everybody's drunk.

Things could be worse!

A primitive library is hewn from the rock and packed with roughly-carved stone bookcases. There's only one tome now, but when the paper industry gets up and running, the new librarians will no doubt author many a tome and treatise on the best ways to get down.

A second armory is cut out of the rock and more hematite is mined.

Piso Mojado the First haunts the halls and watches.

The migrants and young children of Greatdank all whisper dark rumors about the ghosts of the fort. Everyone knows where accursed Subjunctive and Darkman Fanpage wait for blood.

The library proves popular with the fort's denizens, even if they're illiterate.

And though weredeer are sealed within the walls, Greatdank prospers.

The noble quarters proceed apace. Though the rooms aren't dripping with engravings yet, they're well-appointed. The mayor and baroness have bedrooms, audience chambers, and dining rooms that include masterwork furniture from Plebian Parasite.

Commoner quarters are slowly improving, with more storage options for the earliest occupants.

Plans are outlined for a windmill with a stone enclosure to protect the delicate wooden mechanism.

Nosfereefer becomes a master chef. Behold his mighty roasts and despair!

death sext has at least one more kid.

Pregnancy might be contagious. The fort is 1/3rd children and infants now.

Most importantly, Piso Mojado is laid to rest with the completion of a memorial. The engraved slab is displayed in the new hospital, not to be confused with the new new hospital.

A future overseer may wish to knock down a wall and turn the new new hospital into a library expansion and recommission the new hospital for its superior water supply.

The smoothing of the nobles' quarters is nearly completed. Once finished, the best engravers the fort can offer might be tasked with decorating them.

The stone walls are mostly finished. TOOT BOOT II tires of making wooden bins, but instead of constructing the windmill, he decides to blow some glass. Piso Mojado II gets the job and quickly assembles an only slightly crooked windmill. It's more than good enough to start milling flour and refining sugar, so the final three blocks are erected to seal the windmill off from evildoers.

The year winds to a close. Winter storms in with ice and snow.

Please cut one more stone slab.

Please let me rest.

Who's the next overseer? Also, I'm pretty sure I need to be interred before I go all poltergeisty.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

does selling masterpieces still cause the creator to lose his or her h*ck?

POOL IS CLOSED

Subjunctive posted:

does selling masterpieces still cause the creator to lose his or her h*ck?

i don't think they can be traded anymore! which is a real bummer. all the cool kids beat each other with real metal toy hammers, not wood. :(

vanisher

Excellent job with the fort Pool is Closed! Great fortifications set up. Maybe we can have more bridges installed that can secure those outer walls as a first line of defense. e: haha just kidding I can see you did that already!

I hope the wells I set up are working properly. We might need to make a zone for the water area. It would be good to get a serious effort at training some super soldiers to defeat whatever is thrown at us.

MrWillsauce you should take another year bro!

vanisher fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 24, 2017

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
You should build a door me mechanism that funnels any invaders into the Catacombs of the Wandering Buck-wight.

MrWillsauce

the fortress is not ready for me yet.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i could do it a bit later on? maybe it will be more eventful than last time

Nosfereefer

i promise to clad every dwarf man, dwarf woman, and dwarf child in the finest of steel, and also cook amazing meals

POOL IS CLOSED

welp here's the link for those of you what ain't got plat! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6w7zmKs7M6CWkotRC1tUFpZVHM

Nosfereefer

plat is a borgoise excess

POOL IS CLOSED

Nosfereefer posted:

plat is a borgoise excess

say that to my double platinum bridges :colbert:

and the brass chains i had forged

(because im a ghost, boo)

Nosfereefer

wait how do i chose to download? :saddowns:

POOL IS CLOSED

Nosfereefer posted:

wait how do i chose to download? :saddowns:

click the arrow after Dwarf Fortress - Copy. it'll give you a drop down menu. last option is download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

it seems like i can only download singular files, not the entire folder

• Locked thread