Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Who are the directors whose work you unintentionally started collecting?

For me, I do not and have not considered myself a Wes Anderson fan. But I must be, because I own five of his movies. I never saw any of his stuff in the theater and usually picked up a movie after a friend recommended it or after watching it at a friend's. And I don't really feel like getting rid of them because I feel like I'll probably watch them again later.

Another one for me was John Carpenter. I went out of my way to get The Thing but didn't really concern myself with getting anything else by him. But looking now I have at least 4 of his movies and will totally buy more of his stuff as I stumble upon it in the wild.

The opposite for me would by Miyazaki films from Stuido Ghibli. I always tried to get his new movies and sought out theaters that showed them when they came out. Another is the Coen Brothers, I always try to see their stuff as it comes out.

What directors do you intentionally and unintentionally collect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I intentionally collect a bunch of directors: Carpenter, Spielberg, Kurosawa, Ford, Kubrick, P.T. Anderson, Villenueve, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Recently I noticed that I had unintentionally started to collect Luc Besson movies. I only have three(Lucy, The Fifth Element, The Professional) so far, but its probably enough of a start that I'll grab a few more just for the hell of it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sergio Leone and Ridley Scott, mostly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo I forgot about Leone, I have almost all of his Westerns. I think the only one I'm missing is Fistful of Dynamite(AKA Duck You Sucker!)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 14, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Jodorowsky

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Troy Duffy

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just finished getting all of Kubrick's films on Blu-Ray. Even got the UK edition of Fear and Desire so I'd have all three of his short films.

Working on Welles. I have all of his main features except for The Trial. Got all the US Blu-Rays, while The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger, and Mr. Arkadin are DVDs. I'm meaning to import The Trial and The Stranger soon. Plus, I have rips of the Criterion laserdiscs of Ambersons and Othello.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've heard Fear and Desire really does suck. Confirm/Deny?

Thinking now that is the only one keeping me from having all of Kubrick, besides the documentaries.

E: I do not own Spartacus

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've heard Fear and Desire really does suck. Confirm/Deny?

Thinking now that is the only one keeping me from having all of Kubrick, besides the documentaries.

E: I do not own Spartacus

Fear and Desire resembles a nicely shot Ed Wood film. It's barely over an hour long, though.

Get the restored Spartacus Blu-Ray. I wasn't crazy about the film when I saw it a while ago, but the new restoration looks incredible. It's seriously one of the best looking Blu-Rays ever made.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Fear and Desire resembles a nicely shot Ed Wood film. It's barely over an hour long, though.

Get the restored Spartacus Blu-Ray. I wasn't crazy about the film when I saw it a while ago, but the new restoration looks incredible. It's seriously one of the best looking Blu-Rays ever made.

Is that the Criterion or a different version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is that the Criterion or a different version?

Universal put it out directly. It has a new interview with Kirk Douglas, a short piece on the new restoration, and some of the Criterion extras (mainly just the deleted scenes, trailer, and a newsreel). Kind of a pity they didn't work with Criterion to either borrow the commentaries (like how Sony and MGM borrowed Scorsese commentaries for Taxi Driver and Raging Bull).

The movie looks and sounds amazing, though. They used the camera negative this time when it was unusable for the 1991 restoration. The difference now is that they were able to use the faded camera negative and digitally replace the missing color from the corresponding B&W color separation.

(Also, I got the Masters of Cinema version of Fear and Desire since it has all three of Kubrick's short films and a visual essay that aren't on the Kino edition)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 15, 2016

• Locked thread