Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you...
turn left?
turn right?
keep straight?
im gay goku
do something else?
View Results

• Locked thread
Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I absolutely will not judge you for indulging in your fetish if that's what you want to do.

Then I'm plowing thru and backing up, 5 or 6 times (till the jobs done if you know what I mean!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

deadgoon posted:

i'm not gonna swerve onto a sidewalk full of people and i'm not gonna drive off a cliff so, i'm gonna run over that granny

but i would plead guilty to vehicular manslaughter and feel real bad while serving my sentence

(given time to think and accept the possibility of my own death i would gamble on the guard rail but it doesn't sound like i'd have that time and i know what my immediate reaction would be)

or i could just use the emergency break or shift into park but, since it took me this long to realize that, i'm a real bad driver

i would swerve into a tree or a wall or something but i would not go over a cliff, there should be trees everywhere

why aren't there any trees in your hellish dystopia

also, if the granny was a republican or a liberal i would accelerate

Thank you, this is a great answer. Most people would not be able to be this honest with themselves about how they'd react in a pinch to something like this.

The granny is not obviously political, other than the jaywalking.

There are trees, they're just not in front of any of the things I mentioned. I guess you could accelerate through one of the other options to try and land in/hit them though?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How old is this old lady, exactly? Because I'm not going to feel as bad about turning a 98 year old walking mummy into a cloud of crypt-dust by plowing into her as I would a youngish GILF.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

How old is this old lady, exactly? Because I'm not going to feel as bad about turning a 98 year old walking mummy into a cloud of crypt-dust by plowing into her as I would a youngish GILF.

She's old enough to be your mother, but no older. She doesn't even look like your mother/mother-in-law if you squint though so that's not a reason to/not to run her over.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

i'm a real bad driver, i'd try to keep straight and swerve out of the way of granny but i'd end up running myself off the ledge and killing her and all the pedestrians at the same time

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I close my eyes and pray to the Lord, placing all of my faith in Him to see me through this.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
What option allows for the sickest dashcam video

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i cut taxes for the richest americans

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

stephenfry posted:

The skills you have are going to be lost to humanity within a century. You're like a longbowman or a trireme oarsman.

I've only ever driven an automatic actually. Besides, as long as motorsports exist, driving skills aren't going to be lost. People still know fencing and archery for sporting reasons, even though they are entirely irrelevant for combat purposes these days.

Airline pilots are required because autopilot doesn't know how to drift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

Gimli Glider is a fascinating case and somewhat related to the thread since the pilot steered into a guard rail after landing to avoid running over kids on bicycles.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

logikv9 posted:

What option allows for the sickest dashcam video

Probably Chwoka's. I mean that'd be some impressive swerving.

Concordat posted:

I've only ever driven an automatic actually. Besides, as long as motorsports exist, driving skills aren't going to be lost. People still know fencing and archery for sporting reasons, even though they are entirely irrelevant for combat purposes these days.

Gimli Glider is a fascinating case and somewhat related to the thread since the pilot steered into a guard rail after landing to avoid running over kids on bicycles.

That's extremely cool, it reminds me of a show I've watched a few times called Air Disasters. Very well made and goes into great detail about the failures that led to crashing as well as the efforts of the pilots to mitigate the place they found themselves in.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Concordat posted:

well put me in the bad driver box, I don't know how to force a downshift in an automatic

Your implied comparison of motorsports being to driving skills as fencing and archery are to actual medieval skill-at-arms is more significant than you might know. We still have (fiberboard) triremes and nerds doing their best to row them, but we don't have battalions of longbowmen with bone spurs in their left shoulders and overdeveloped delts, and as I meant to say, we soon won't have defensive drivers who are practised in manual brake pulsing or other skills that are emergent. Our species is unlikely to be able to preserve obscure skills that probably won't have a legal opportunity for practise when a) combustion engines are banned b) ABS becomes mandatory c) better public transport, vehicular AIs, socioeconomic changes and telecommuting reduce congestion (I hope) d) et cetera

regenerative braking is the best that teslas offer. I'm not remotely a gearhead, but a lot will be lost with conventional ICE powertrains when they are no longer seen on our roads. Gear changes are cool.

Autopilot can't drift... yet

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would repeatedly press the brakes, growing increasingly worried by the fact that they aren't working, until I clipped the old lady in a last second decision to swerve that only managed to send her flying off the cliff and me into the last of the pedestrians on the sidewalk, a pedestrian I hadn't noticed since I was so focused on the brakes not working and the woman I was about to hit. As the car comes to a crunching halt, pinning the pedestrian between my vehicle and the tree just beyond the sidewalk, windshield covered in blood, I would belatedly slam my hand against the horn, because the thought that I should be doing so finally managed to get somewhere in my brain responsible for actual bodily actions.

At this point, I would also be struck by a number of incredible ideas about what I should have done, like engaging the parking breaking and doing a sick skid along the guard rail. I wouldn't think of downshifting because who the hell knows how to do that, certainly not me. I would have considered jumping out of the car before impact, but that's, like, a separate thought from going over the cliff through the guard rail so that still probably would have left us with a dead lady or several dead pedestrians, probably good I didn't think of it until now.

At the very least I could have limited my destruction to one old lady but nope, no, couldn't even manage that. gently caress.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the pedestrians were all violently harassing a dog though and now the dog is free, they deserved it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I crank the steering wheel while putting on the hand break, causing my care to flip over the car ahead of mine. I land upright, and step out of the car to make out with one of the pedestrians, who is also a billionaire supermodel

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have an ethical thought experiment inspired by bad Star Trek.

Two separate individual people (Steve and Jeff) step into a machine* and through a freak chance instead of its intended purpose the machine fuses the two individuals into a new being (Jeve). This new being has physical features made of both the constituent people that made them and memories from both of them. However, it's personality, thought patterns, wants, goals, etc. are not simply an amalgamation of Steve and Jeff but are wholly unique and distinct from either of them.

Before using the machine both Steve and Jeff specifically stated that should this exact scenario occur both of them wish to be separated back into their individual selves. However, Jeve pleads against this, saying that he prefers being this way and rightfully arguing that to separate him back into component individuals will kill him. Which is more ethical, effectively killing Steve and Jeff to allow Jeve to continue or killing Jeve to bring back Steve and Jeff?

Addendum: Separating Jeve will bring back Steve and Jeff in a state where they somehow retain a continuous line of consciousness, making them the same people as before and not merely clones with the same memories.

*This machine is totally not a teleporter/transporter and does not (normally) kill its occupants. It's a... schmeleporter.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have an additional question for the original thought experiment, are any of the people on the street or the old lady secretly Nazis, or racists, or just general assholes that I could use to justify my choice to myself after the fact?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh if you guys were worrying about my increasingly worrying real life moral dilemma's from the last thread, I had some more but I think I made the right choice.

I was given the option of killing a monster that was trying their best to make things better for everyone and actually improving every day, and was mostly a monster because they were like, super poo poo at it and were kind of responsible for creating a living nightmare and condemning dozens of people to live in it for an unknown amount of time. This one ended up coming down to spite - a ghost told me to kill it, so I refused, and the ghost got eaten by a fish. I found this solution satisfactory.

I was given the option of "committing genocide", "being a dick", or "committing genocide while being a dick". I chose committing genocide. I think being a dick is morally wrong.

I was given the option of committing suicide or... not committing suicide? This was, like, presented as a big "thing", you know, but uh, I'll be honest, I picked the second option without much hesitation. Seems like an obvious "greater good" sort of situation.

There was also a choice between stuffing a bunch of people in a box and sending them into outer space, or sinking them to the bottom of the ocean. I picked space. I sort of regret this one, but I also kind of felt like the ocean thing was never really an option anyway, and picking space let me shoot a really cool gun.

Let's just say I learned a lot more about ethical dilemmas this week than I ever expected to, and I feel like I'm a lot wiser than I once was.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You sure this was Star Trek and not a cartoon about alien rocks? I don't think it's ethical to talk about cartoons feature alien rocks in this thread, btw.

Anyway, I was in a similar situation a couple years back in the space game with the puppets, except that the people wanted to be fused before they fused and didn't want to be unfused but I unfused them anyway. I don't remember why, I think it was important?

I guess to be consistent I should do it again here.

Edit: But then, I remember someone said something once about consistency and goblins, so I dunno.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Dec 15, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think it's ethical to talk about cartoons feature alien rocks in this thread, btw.

Excuse you but Star Trek: Voyager was not a "cartoon".

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I have an additional question for the original thought experiment, are any of the people on the street or the old lady secretly Nazis, or racists, or just general assholes that I could use to justify my choice to myself after the fact?

The most you would ever learn about them is what you'd get about them on the news after the accident. If they're Nazis, racists, or assholes, they don't have anything more to show for it than any other pedestrians you'd drive by would.

As for Jeve, well... I don't suppose there's a way to upload his consciousness to a robot before separating him is there? I'm not much for murder as a means to save people from an accident, but it might be ethically wrong to dignify a show about Janeway and Paris having hot alien lizard sex above a cartoon anyway.

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh if you guys were worrying about my increasingly worrying real life moral dilemma's from the last thread, I had some more but I think I made the right choice.

I was given the option of killing a monster that was trying their best to make things better for everyone and actually improving every day, and was mostly a monster because they were like, super poo poo at it and were kind of responsible for creating a living nightmare and condemning dozens of people to live in it for an unknown amount of time. This one ended up coming down to spite - a ghost told me to kill it, so I refused, and the ghost got eaten by a fish. I found this solution satisfactory.

I was given the option of "committing genocide", "being a dick", or "committing genocide while being a dick". I chose committing genocide. I think being a dick is morally wrong.

I was given the option of committing suicide or... not committing suicide? This was, like, presented as a big "thing", you know, but uh, I'll be honest, I picked the second option without much hesitation. Seems like an obvious "greater good" sort of situation.

There was also a choice between stuffing a bunch of people in a box and sending them into outer space, or sinking them to the bottom of the ocean. I picked space. I sort of regret this one, but I also kind of felt like the ocean thing was never really an option anyway, and picking space let me shoot a really cool gun.

Let's just say I learned a lot more about ethical dilemmas this week than I ever expected to, and I feel like I'm a lot wiser than I once was.

The ghost was probably a jerk anyway.

I think 'being a dick' can be morally right, I mean if that's the only way to stop a lot of people from being dicks why not? Also if you can do it in a funny way that's got to be more moral than just being boring.

Space has a lot cooler stuff to see in it, you made the right choice.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Who What Now posted:

I have an ethical thought experiment inspired by bad Star Trek.

Two separate individual people (Steve and Jeff) step into a machine* and through a freak chance instead of its intended purpose the machine fuses the two individuals into a new being (Jeve)...
Let Jeve live, for research purposes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stephenfry posted:

Let Jeve live, for research purposes

So you're saying you want to...

*puts on sunglasses*

Ask Jeve?

YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

I would repeatedly press the brakes, growing increasingly worried by the fact that they aren't working, until I clipped the old lady in a last second decision to swerve that only managed to send her flying off the cliff and me into the last of the pedestrians on the sidewalk, a pedestrian I hadn't noticed since I was so focused on the brakes not working and the woman I was about to hit. As the car comes to a crunching halt, pinning the pedestrian between my vehicle and the tree just beyond the sidewalk, windshield covered in blood, I would belatedly slam my hand against the horn, because the thought that I should be doing so finally managed to get somewhere in my brain responsible for actual bodily actions.

At this point, I would also be struck by a number of incredible ideas about what I should have done, like engaging the parking breaking and doing a sick skid along the guard rail. I wouldn't think of downshifting because who the hell knows how to do that, certainly not me. I would have considered jumping out of the car before impact, but that's, like, a separate thought from going over the cliff through the guard rail so that still probably would have left us with a dead lady or several dead pedestrians, probably good I didn't think of it until now.

At the very least I could have limited my destruction to one old lady but nope, no, couldn't even manage that. gently caress.

remembering my training (fast and furious movies (VHS, DVD, and blu-ray), grand theft auto multiplayer) i'd do a sick nasty donut 360 powerslide skid and car flip over the old ladies head to land safetly on the other side, then i'd rev my engine and peal out while ride out blares over my speakers and i shout 'i live for this poo poo!!!' at the top of my lungs

for all men die

but not all men, truly live.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That's extremely cool, it reminds me of a show I've watched a few times called Air Disasters. Very well made and goes into great detail about the failures that led to crashing as well as the efforts of the pilots to mitigate the place they found themselves in.

I'm pretty sure that clip is from that exact show, or at least a British rebroadcast of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcOyfxuWvo
If you want to watch the full episode that was trimmed from.

stephenfry posted:

well put me in the bad driver box, I don't know how to force a downshift in an automatic

Your implied comparison of motorsports being to driving skills as fencing and archery are to actual medieval skill-at-arms is more significant than you might know. We still have (fiberboard) triremes and nerds doing their best to row them, but we don't have battalions of longbowmen with bone spurs in their left shoulders and overdeveloped delts, and as I meant to say, we soon won't have defensive drivers who are practised in manual brake pulsing or other skills that are emergent. Our species is unlikely to be able to preserve obscure skills that probably won't have a legal opportunity for practise when a) combustion engines are banned b) ABS becomes mandatory c) better public transport, vehicular AIs, socioeconomic changes and telecommuting reduce congestion (I hope) d) et cetera

regenerative braking is the best that teslas offer. I'm not remotely a gearhead, but a lot will be lost with conventional ICE powertrains when they are no longer seen on our roads. Gear changes are cool.

Autopilot can't drift... yet

Downshifting in an automatic usually involves moving the shifter past drive. Every automatic I've driven has numbers past it on the shifter, though maybe some don't? My current car has a dumb "Geartronic" feature in it, namely it is an automatic transmission but if you move the shifter to the right of D, there's a little spot you can push up or down to change gears one at a time, but there's no clutch and it limits what gears you can shift to based on your speed, so its pretty much pointless.

If you drive a car with a continuously variable transmission (they exist and are kinda weird) or no transmission at all (Teslas and other electric cars mostly) I guess you're hosed in a "brakes cut" situation.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo and thought of downshifting cause I often have dreams where I'm driving and my brakes stop working and I'm left trying to stop the car with other means.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 17, 2016

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Concordat posted:

Downshifting in an automatic usually involves moving the shifter past drive. Every automatic I've driven has numbers past it on the shifter, though maybe some don't? My current car has a dumb "Geartronic" feature in it, namely it is an automatic transmission but if you move the shifter to the right of D, there's a little spot you can push up or down to change gears one at a time, but there's no clutch and it limits what gears you can shift to based on your speed, so its pretty much pointless.

If you drive a car with a continuously variable transmission (they exist and are kinda weird) or no transmission at all (Teslas and other electric cars mostly) I guess you're hosed in a "brakes cut" situation.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo and thought of downshifting cause I often have dreams where I'm driving and my brakes stop working and I'm left trying to stop the car with other means.
the main innovation of teslas and musk's other ~disruptive technologies~ is immense charge throughput and energy storage orders of magnitude better than what came before. The brake force is pretty good so you might not even have to touch the handbrake in this situation, but I am interested in reading up to see what they've done to reduce the need for a fallback in case of a pressure failure

that is weird. car dreams are often about psychological progress. if you never get out of the car (or any other form of personal transport) it apparently means a lot of work unbroken by leisure or play in your future. And trouble with one particular system of a vehicle (that can't be easily anthropomorphised, like wheels for limbs) apparently signifies forthcoming bad news from a friend. It sounds like you have had emotional trauma and a serious self-assessment coming to a head for a long time. I think it means you are gay.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You are driving in your car when one of your tires blow out. You try to stop only to find your brakes have failed. To your left is a guardrail which will probably stop your car, but it's overlooking a ravine and you don't know whether your car will go over or not. To your right is a walkway that will definitely stop your car without sending you over the side, but probably not before also hitting some of the five people walking there. In front of you is an older woman who you might be able to stop in time for and not run over, but you were going too fast to begin with to be sure of that. What do you do?

Kill yourself for letting your car get so neglected that the loving brakes don't even work. In this constructed and perfectly rational world I hope the death squad comes and kills the driver regardless of what choice he made.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The brakes failed because they were cut by the CIA after mistaking your vehicle for someone elses

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zen death robot posted:

I'd use the handbrake and blare my horn

:agreed:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's not THAT big. She's past where the ravine is at any rate. This is why I said you might actually be able to stop by the time you reach her, but you can't be sure because you were going too fast and might be off by like a hundred feet (you don't need to be going real fast to smack a pedestrian hard).

So there's a slim chance I'd be beyond the ravine if I swerved toward it. Either way I'd probably be too panicked to remember my surroundings enough to make a moral judgement and would probably swerve in the direction my instincts took me.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

504 posted:

Then I'm plowing thru and backing up, 5 or 6 times (till the jobs done if you know what I mean!)

That's how they do it in China. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...it_china_s.html

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

stephenfry posted:

that is weird. car dreams are often about psychological progress. if you never get out of the car (or any other form of personal transport) it apparently means a lot of work unbroken by leisure or play in your future. And trouble with one particular system of a vehicle (that can't be easily anthropomorphised, like wheels for limbs) apparently signifies forthcoming bad news from a friend. It sounds like you have had emotional trauma and a serious self-assessment coming to a head for a long time. I think it means you are gay.

I was in a car accident where someone hit my front left tire while I was making a right turn into the right lane of a two-lane road (they made an illegal lane change in the intersection) and despite holding my foot on the brake, drove over the curb and into a shrub.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
oh sweet -- model s and later teslas have regen brakes, friction brakes, hydraulic and electromechanical parking calipers. all are brake-by-wire but the system can interpret a single button press and use all of them in concert to brake as suddenly and efficiently as possible in an emergency.

Concordat posted:

I was in a car accident where someone hit my front left tire while I was making a right turn into the right lane of a two-lane road (they made an illegal lane change in the intersection) and despite holding my foot on the brake, drove over the curb and into a shrub.

well a curb is like a wall, and that is a very obvious dream analogy -- our subconsciouses often really do drop the anvil. Bushes are a signal to action -- you will have work to do. They obscure. Damage one, and you will have to reconcile yourself with societal mores. It's time you came to terms with being gay

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You are driving in your car when one of your tires blow out. You try to stop only to find your brakes have failed. To your left is a guardrail which will probably stop your car, but it's overlooking a ravine and you don't know whether your car will go over or not. To your right is a walkway that will definitely stop your car without sending you over the side, but probably not before also hitting some of the five people walking there. In front of you is an older woman who you might be able to stop in time for and not run over, but you were going too fast to begin with to be sure of that. What do you do?

how loving wide is this old woman that she is evidently obstructing so much of a 2 lane road that hitting her or another object is a foregone conclusion? even if she was perfectly centered in the middle of a two lane road, I have more than enough room to either swerve left or right around her, saving her from fatality and not actually exposing myself to risk from the ravine or further committing vehicular manslaughter w/r/t the pedestrians; if she is closer to one edge or the other, I definitely have a window to easily swerve through on her opposite side. like, even if she was laying prostrate and was 7 feet tall and in the middle of the road I would still have room to swerve.

Who What Now posted:

Before using the machine both Steve and Jeff specifically stated that should this exact scenario occur both of them wish to be separated back into their individual selves. However, Jeve pleads against this, saying that he prefers being this way and rightfully arguing that to separate him back into component individuals will kill him.

I follow the terms of their resuscitation order which would be legally binding if properly filed. if they have a legally valid resuscitation order, then Jeve gets chopped back into Jeff and Steve, no questions asked; I don't want to be responsible for having to re-litigate the validity of their legal paperwork. if they do not have a legally valid resuscitation order, then Jeve gets to decide whatever terms he/they/it prefer; in this case I am assuming that Jeve gets to keep living.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrPdfHuhsw

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Actually I'm taking an uber so who do I get to sue for harming or traumatizing me?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

how loving wide is this old woman that she is evidently obstructing so much of a 2 lane road that hitting her or another object is a foregone conclusion?

It's not a two lane road. I can't help you with how or why you're driving on this road if you go out of your way to avoid them normally or live where single lane roads don't exist though.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Actually I'm taking an uber so who do I get to sue for harming or traumatizing me?

Pretty sure Uber would say you should sue the driver. It's not like they have any money though and you don't have the money to fight Uber's lawyers so what's the point?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's not a two lane road. I can't help you with how or why you're driving on this road if you go out of your way to avoid them normally or live where single lane roads don't exist though.

Pretty sure Uber would say you should sue the driver. It's not like they have any money though and you don't have the money to fight Uber's lawyers so what's the point?

ok lets sue the driver and uber, sounds good. After all, if their app hadn't routed their part-time gig economy worker next to the cliff, I wouldn't have grounds to sue them.

Who loving needs money to fight someone when ya have really good friends willing to take the case? gently caress yeah American jurisprudence!

Bigger question, what if it was a Tesla you was riding in which decided to veer off the edge of the cliff?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

ok lets sue the driver and uber, sounds good. After all, if their app hadn't routed their part-time gig economy worker next to the cliff, I wouldn't have grounds to sue them.

Who loving needs money to fight someone when ya have really good friends willing to take the case? gently caress yeah American jurisprudence!

Bigger question, what if it was a Tesla you was riding in which decided to veer off the edge of the cliff?

These 'friends' happen to usually give you money for your 'friendship' by any chance? Or come from a different planet? I'm just saying I don't know if your johns or illegal aliens are gonna be good at trial is all. Doubly so if they're the impossible breed of honest lawyer, somebody's bound to shoot 'em for a trophy on their wall and then where will you be?

Tesla seems like the type to send you a bag of money before you woke up if you lived through that. Otherwise well RIP, better luck next life

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

when you say "one lane road" are you meaning something like this:

code:
l  ^  l
or something like this:

code:
l v l ^ l
because i've seen people call the latter a "two lane road" and that's not what a two lane road is

code:
two lane road
l v l v l ^ l ^ l
either way though, a one lane road isn't exactly as wide as a vehicle, unless i am driving some kind of enormous moving van. if the old lady is somehow completely preventing me from swerving past her, she's at that point actively trying to jump into my path, and in that case I have a dash cam installed because i've seen enough youtube videos about driving in Russia to know that they protect you from liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

when you say "one lane road" are you meaning something like this:

code:
l  ^  l
or something like this:

code:
l v l ^ l
because i've seen people call the latter a "two lane road" and that's not what a two lane road is

code:
two lane road
l v l v l ^ l ^ l
either way though, a one lane road isn't exactly as wide as a vehicle, unless i am driving some kind of enormous moving van. if the old lady is somehow completely preventing me from swerving past her, she's at that point actively trying to jump into my path, and in that case I have a dash cam installed because i've seen enough youtube videos about driving in Russia to know that they protect you from liability.

I mean like the first one. I never did say you were certain to hit her anyway, just that you couldn't be sure you wouldn't. If you're confident you can swerve past her accurately with a blown tire and going a bit too fast to be sure when you'll stop without brakes anyway though then go nuts (or employ one of the other tactics people brought up).

• Locked thread