Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you...
turn left?
turn right?
keep straight?
im gay goku
do something else?
View Results

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Downshift, handbrake, powerslide around old woman, blue spark boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Seriously though am I the only one that knows how to slow a car down by downshifting?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

stephenfry posted:

The skills you have are going to be lost to humanity within a century. You're like a longbowman or a trireme oarsman.

I've only ever driven an automatic actually. Besides, as long as motorsports exist, driving skills aren't going to be lost. People still know fencing and archery for sporting reasons, even though they are entirely irrelevant for combat purposes these days.

Airline pilots are required because autopilot doesn't know how to drift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvt7hP5a-0

Gimli Glider is a fascinating case and somewhat related to the thread since the pilot steered into a guard rail after landing to avoid running over kids on bicycles.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That's extremely cool, it reminds me of a show I've watched a few times called Air Disasters. Very well made and goes into great detail about the failures that led to crashing as well as the efforts of the pilots to mitigate the place they found themselves in.

I'm pretty sure that clip is from that exact show, or at least a British rebroadcast of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcOyfxuWvo
If you want to watch the full episode that was trimmed from.

stephenfry posted:

well put me in the bad driver box, I don't know how to force a downshift in an automatic

Your implied comparison of motorsports being to driving skills as fencing and archery are to actual medieval skill-at-arms is more significant than you might know. We still have (fiberboard) triremes and nerds doing their best to row them, but we don't have battalions of longbowmen with bone spurs in their left shoulders and overdeveloped delts, and as I meant to say, we soon won't have defensive drivers who are practised in manual brake pulsing or other skills that are emergent. Our species is unlikely to be able to preserve obscure skills that probably won't have a legal opportunity for practise when a) combustion engines are banned b) ABS becomes mandatory c) better public transport, vehicular AIs, socioeconomic changes and telecommuting reduce congestion (I hope) d) et cetera

regenerative braking is the best that teslas offer. I'm not remotely a gearhead, but a lot will be lost with conventional ICE powertrains when they are no longer seen on our roads. Gear changes are cool.

Autopilot can't drift... yet

Downshifting in an automatic usually involves moving the shifter past drive. Every automatic I've driven has numbers past it on the shifter, though maybe some don't? My current car has a dumb "Geartronic" feature in it, namely it is an automatic transmission but if you move the shifter to the right of D, there's a little spot you can push up or down to change gears one at a time, but there's no clutch and it limits what gears you can shift to based on your speed, so its pretty much pointless.

If you drive a car with a continuously variable transmission (they exist and are kinda weird) or no transmission at all (Teslas and other electric cars mostly) I guess you're hosed in a "brakes cut" situation.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo and thought of downshifting cause I often have dreams where I'm driving and my brakes stop working and I'm left trying to stop the car with other means.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 17, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

stephenfry posted:

that is weird. car dreams are often about psychological progress. if you never get out of the car (or any other form of personal transport) it apparently means a lot of work unbroken by leisure or play in your future. And trouble with one particular system of a vehicle (that can't be easily anthropomorphised, like wheels for limbs) apparently signifies forthcoming bad news from a friend. It sounds like you have had emotional trauma and a serious self-assessment coming to a head for a long time. I think it means you are gay.

I was in a car accident where someone hit my front left tire while I was making a right turn into the right lane of a two-lane road (they made an illegal lane change in the intersection) and despite holding my foot on the brake, drove over the curb and into a shrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Self driving cars are going to be poo poo for a long rear end time just like how touchscreen displays, portable phones, and VR were played around with in the 80s and 90s but were too godawful to be used for anything till almost 20 years later.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Dec 23, 2016

• Locked thread