Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's out, has anybody seen it? Is it better than Star Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
You spelled it wrong on purpose. It's going to bother people. I'm sure that's the point.

Anyway, I'm seeing it this weekend.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I'm probably going to see it at some time in the future maybe. could be this weekend. could be next week, or maybe even the week after that but I tell you what I'm gonna see it.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
It was ok. it wouldve been great 20 years ago, but it was still "fun"

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ehh just got back from it. I'm a critical rear end in a top hat when it comes to movies and this is no different. Rolled eyes a number of times, but if you're just in it for some Star Wars action it'll probably sate your Star lust.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I thought it was really fun, the final action set piece was really well done in my opinion.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I'm going on Sunday dressed like Riker

I hope I make it back to respond to this post

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed it OP, it's a mixed bag with some stupid stuff in it but so is every single other Star Wars movie except like ANH and Empire

More entertaining than the prequels and more interesting to look at than TFA imo

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Bastard Tetris posted:

So you can sit in the handicap access theatre seat?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Bastard Tetris posted:

I don't think you have anything to worry about, sci-fi nerds rarely resort to physical violence or intimidation.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Darth Vader dies at the end.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I was entertained by the film :)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just saw it. Was entertained. The first 15 minutes where a big MEH for me but it turned out O.K. I'm also curious to see how many Star Warz nerds will flip their poo poo out at the lack of the normal text intro. Tarkin and Carrie where creepy uncanny as poo poo, but great try on their part.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The death star has a warp drive. That means the death star should of chased the millennium falcon just like the movie Space Balls in A New Hope.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It's a better sort of "Dirty Dozen" send-up than Suicide Squad was. I liked it. It's good, dark Star Wars-less Revenge of the Sith, more Empire Strikes Back

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked it. Wasn't sure at first cause the opening was a bit weak but it all paid off.

the chinese swordsman is super out of place but it okay cause his fights are rad

Did anyone else think Darth Vaders dad joke was a bit out of character?

But yeah def worth it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think its one of the best movies in the star wars universe since the first trilogy. Kinda sad it took that long. Showed the war affecting or effects on people. They didn't even put citizens in the first prequel movie on Nabu.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 17, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

free basket of chips posted:

Not really. I always read him as an outwardly smug character in the OT, probably because he knows he's the baddest motherfucker in the galaxy and has a greater power at his disposal than any fleet or whatever. He's not a comedian, but the confidence to make a joke in front of a subordinate (which is still an extremely dark joke about him killing the guy in question) is what really differentiates Vader from Kylo Ren and makes the latter seem so goofy and pathetic.

Also if "Father" is literally part of your name I think you get to make dad jokes. Same goes for Catholic priests, if they want to.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Was totally not expecting the huge space battle at the end of the movie and was really glad it happened. Overall I really enjoyed it, though the beginning is definitely weak. I wonder if that's the part of the film that got reshot.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

free basket of chips posted:

Anakin/Vader does that all the time. His name is "Dark Father" so, if anything, he's been showing admirable restraint by not quipping every line.

Definitely the best prequel, I'm glad we got to see the dark side of the Rebellion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked it as a whole but it does seem like a movie that kind of got chopped to hell in editing and reshoots. Also, maybe its just me but the Vader voice seemed a little off. Guess that's just what happens when your voice actor is in his mid 80s.

Kind of goofy though with those couple of shots where they literally just reuse footage from ANH introducing Gold and Red leaders.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

The death star has a warp drive. That means the death star should of chased the millennium falcon just like the movie Space Balls in A New Hope.

It did chase them. They were tracking the falcon like leia says they would but they have to see where they land at first.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

banned from Starbucks posted:

It did chase them. They were tracking the falcon like leia says they would but they have to see where they land at first.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

darth vader says an arnold pun after choking out ben mendelssohn

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ben mendelssohn constantly loving up and being out of his element is the one interesting part of the movie

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blew my load over the ending with Princess Leia having the last line in the film. "What is this?" "...A new hope." *credits start*

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Well, thanks to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them my bar has been set so low that it is practically in hell.

I was not so horribly offended and sickened by it that I asked for a refund.

Storm Troopers still have poo poo accuracy.
Why do they even WEAR armor it doesn't protect them from anything.
Appreciated that the Rebels are no longer ultimate goody good guys and it's established that they definitely did their own version of hosed up poo poo.
Did not appreciate the girl and the guy kind of falling in love pretty much out of nowhere.

In general it was eh. Not bad. But eh.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The fan-theory is that stormtrooper armor saves lives but leaves them incapacitated.

I wish they didn't hug at the end.

I was really really impressed at how good they were at reproducing the faces of actors from 30 years ago. Though they overused Tarkin and you started to see the faults.

It was kinda jarring in the big battle to have the couple of rebels who dressed like extras from a 'Nam movie wandered into set.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fernguppie posted:

Was totally not expecting the huge space battle at the end of the movie and was really glad it happened. Overall I really enjoyed it, though the beginning is definitely weak. I wonder if that's the part of the film that got reshot.

By the sounds of it, the reshooting was exactly that. Originally, it seems like it might have been that Jyn was on planet working with Saw Gurerra and his terrorist militants which is when she meets Cassian who is there to find the pilot and is hauled to Mon Mothma and co. on Yavin in chains, press-ganged to go and get the Death Star plans but Disney was apparently worried that the film would be seen as 'pro-Terrorist'.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

How do you think it got into position to blow up Alderan and later to try and blow up the Yavin moon?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was a good movie

Donnie was awesome, Whitaker had a lot of presence in the like 4 minutes of screentime he has

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

It was a good movie

Donnie was awesome, Whitaker had a lot of presence in the like 4 minutes of screentime he has

I liked how they said he was too hardcore for the rebellion. That added some spice to the universe.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I saw it. it was good for the most part.

Milky Moor posted:

By the sounds of it, the reshooting was exactly that. Originally, it seems like it might have been that Jyn was on planet working with Saw Gurerra and his terrorist militants which is when she meets Cassian who is there to find the pilot and is hauled to Mon Mothma and co. on Yavin in chains, press-ganged to go and get the Death Star plans but Disney was apparently worried that the film would be seen as 'pro-Terrorist'.

that would have made more sense.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I liked the climax where the main character used her wit and ingenuity to push a button, and then push another button, I was on the edge of my seat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Apparently stormtroopers can kill people so long as they skip using their rifles and just clumsily throw or accidentally drop grenades. They should've used this critical battle data in the rest of the movies.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I will always wonder what the next word was going to be when the one stormtrooper said, "What the..." right before he blew up.

Maybe a rated-R word.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Improbable Lobster posted:

How do you think it got into position to blow up Alderan and later to try and blow up the Yavin moon?

Then why did it move all slow during A New Hope, they were attacking the deathstar. They should just WARPSPEED for 1s! That would of rammed all the x wings! They were all fighting in that canyon. Luke would of been crushed. It would be the perfect defense from small fighters.

The death star should be flying around at almost warp speed just ramming all small fighter jets and even battleships and shooting lazers. It should of been the DEATH COMET.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 19, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

Then why did it move all slow during A New Hope, they were attacking the deathstar. They should just WARPSPEED for 1s! That would of rammed all the x wings! They were all fighting in that canyon. Luke would of been crushed. It would be the perfect defense from small fighters.

The death star should be flying around at almost warp speed just ramming all small fighter jets and even battleships and shooting lazers. It should of been the DEATH COMET.

Hyperspace doesn't just make you go really fast

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Apparently stormtroopers can kill people so long as they skip using their rifles and just clumsily throw or accidentally drop grenades. They should've used this critical battle data in the rest of the movies.

this is true for real life soldiers as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

should of would of
Star Wars incosistency

• Locked thread