Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

GORDON posted:

I will always wonder what the next word was going to be when the one stormtrooper said, "What the..." right before he blew up.

Maybe a rated-R word.

It was probably some lame Star Wars universe insult like frak or blip or deathstick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
WHAT THE NERFHERDER

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I couldn't tell if it was being held up or held back by the fact that it was a Star Wars movie.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I liked that they made a whole movie just to confirm a fan theory. (This is not true, they made a whole movie based on a fan theory for MONEY. :homebrew:)

I like that they made light sabers being powered by crystals canon. That poo poo was established in KOTOR.

Pushing buttons is just want Strong Female Protagonists do best.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jenner posted:

I liked that they made a whole movie just to confirm a fan theory. (This is not true, they made a whole movie based on a fan theory for MONEY. :homebrew:)

I like that they made light sabers being powered by crystals canon. That poo poo was established in KOTOR.

Pushing buttons is just want Strong Female Protagonists do best.

They also killed Kyle Katarn!

Dark forces - aka doom clone

First level Kyle Katarn steals the death star plans by HIMSELF BITCH!
Rest of the game he fights the dark troopers project, I wonder if the bad guy's guard unit was any relation to this because they talked in mumbled sounds just like dark troopers did. I doubt it was.

Dark forces 2 - I cant even remember what games were out but 3d fps games were now the norm

Kyle Katarn finds out hes also a jedi. There's a funny boss that had his whole lower body cut off, so hes like a flying robot man with no legs fighting you with a lightsaber. Its just the worse looking thing ever and I can not find a picture to show people. In the intro movie the guy gets cut in half to make him. Hes not even the main bad guy either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lah4fUDlp0

People complain that Disney is just gonna make a bunch of garbage content, but guess what the 90s of star wars games already happened!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it was a perfectly fine movie if you view Star Wars as dumb popcorn flicks and not a literal religion

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Tenzarin posted:

They also killed Kyle Katarn!

Dark forces - aka doom clone

First level Kyle Katarn steals the death star plans by HIMSELF BITCH!
Rest of the game he fights the dark troopers project, I wonder if the bad guy's guard unit was any relation to this because they talked in mumbled sounds just like dark troopers did. I doubt it was.

Dark forces 2 - I cant even remember what games were out but 3d fps games were now the norm

Kyle Katarn finds out hes also a jedi. There's a funny boss that had his whole lower body cut off, so hes like a flying robot man with no legs fighting you with a lightsaber. Its just the worse looking thing ever and I can not find a picture to show people. In the intro movie the guy gets cut in half to make him. Hes not even the main bad guy either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lah4fUDlp0

People complain that Disney is just gonna make a bunch of garbage content, but guess what the 90s of star wars games already happened!

Many turbo nerds were sad when Lucas declared the Extended Universe and video games non-canon and "just for fun." But now Disney is going to cherry pick and mine for gold* out of EU/Video game content to make more movies for mad cash.

Effectively making some of the crazy bullshit in those properties canon. Since Lucas said only things in the movies are canon.

*calling it gold is overly generous.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
hollywood needs to stop thinking they can just make CGI versions of dead actors, that poo poo is uncanny valley as gently caress and I couldn't loving concentrate on anything in those scenes except 'look at that weird loving animatronic wax sculpture'

Jenner posted:

Many turbo nerds were sad when Lucas declared the Extended Universe and video games non-canon and "just for fun." But now Disney is going to cherry pick and mine for gold* out of EU/Video game content to make more movies for mad cash.

Effectively making some of the crazy bullshit in those properties canon. Since Lucas said only things in the movies are canon.

I reread some of those a few years back and none of them were anywhere near as good as I thought they were when I was like 14 or whatever

Rogue Squadron books would make for a pretty decent netflix series though with the right director

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have no problem watching 3d characters, I finished the entire Shrek movie series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

it was a perfectly fine movie if you view Star Wars as dumb popcorn flicks and not a literal religion

I completely agree. I've wanted a Star Wars flick that doesn't focus on the space wizards for a long time and it's great to have one finally (my favorite Clone Wars series episodes focused on Capt. Rex and his crew).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Saw it today. I wouldn't have bet that Rogue One would be the better new Star Wars but it really is. People that say it's third best after 4 and 5 are spot on. I liked how a lot of stuff in the last battle referenced Vietnam of all things and how the badass sequence where Vader goes berserk on the rebels was shot like a scene from a ship catastrophe movie where people are being flooded in a corridor and can't get out but it's not water killing them, it's the freaking Vader. There were some problems with the movie as well but honestly I don't want to go into that because there was too much good stuff. I loved the nihilistic tone and grittiness they went for. Good times at the cinema.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also they killed a sea of stormtroopers. I actually started feeling bad for them, rebels are a bunch of maniacs. Does a stormtrooper armor do anything? They were getting killed with a stick here.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Palpek posted:

Also they killed a sea of stormtroopers. I actually started feeling bad for them, rebels are a bunch of maniacs. Does a stormtrooper armor do anything? They were getting killed with a stick here.

I'm sure it protects against environmental hazards (besides the biggest one in star wars- shear drops with no railings). They got a gorillion troops tho, cant give them all power armor

If you're interested in the IRL equivalent look up ceramic "dragonscale armor" under plating. The idea was that it would better absorb explosive impacts, in reality at best it did nothing and at worst should shrapnel into your body- still got used because govt contracts and replacing poo poo is expensive.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I completely agree. I've wanted a Star Wars flick that doesn't focus on the space wizards for a long time and it's great to have one finally (my favorite Clone Wars series episodes focused on Capt. Rex and his crew).

yeah that was my thinking too

coulda done without the kung fu dude but I get why he's there

other than that it's a diet version of the Dirty Dozen or Kelly's Heroes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Palpek posted:

Saw it today. I wouldn't have bet that Rogue One would be the better new Star Wars but it really is. People that say it's third best after 4 and 5 are spot on. I liked how a lot of stuff in the last battle referenced Vietnam of all things and how the badass sequence where Vader goes berserk on the rebels was shot like a scene from a ship catastrophe movie where people are being flooded in a corridor and can't get out but it's not water killing them, it's the freaking Vader. There were some problems with the movie as well but honestly I don't want to go into that because there was too much good stuff. I loved the nihilistic tone and grittiness they went for. Good times at the cinema.

Yeah, it was really excellent. Best use of a lightsabre in a while.

Jenner posted:

They're never going to make movies based on the old EU books, that would be dumb and also really awful. At most they'll let the cartoon reuse old characters, like T. Zahn's super tactical, force proof villain, Thrawn.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Vader scene was like a scene from Alien and it loving owned

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, it was really excellent. Best use of a lightsabre in a while.

They're never going to make movies based on the old EU books, that would be dumb and also really awful. At most they'll let the cartoon reuse old characters, like T. Zahn's super tactical, force proof villain, Thrawn.

They are linking all of the new canon together with the movies, of which the Rebels stuff is a part of. They also have a new canon Thrawn book coming out written by Zahn. He's gonna be in the movies at some point, I would bet. He's a pretty well imagined villain for this sort of thing. Since they are keeping the idea of the Empire as human supremacist the idea of an alien who outshines the rest of the Imperial officers has a lot of interesting potential story directions behind it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

coulda done without the kung fu dude but I get why he's there

I thought that character would have been more convincing if played by Tilda Swinton.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GORDON posted:

I thought that character would have been more convincing if played by Tilda Swinton.

Yeah i couldn't figure out what they were going for, transman? butch activist? Kendo gym coach dyke? it was lost on me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FuriousxGeorge posted:

They are linking all of the new canon together with the movies, of which the Rebels stuff is a part of. They also have a new canon Thrawn book coming out written by Zahn. He's gonna be in the movies at some point, I would bet. He's a pretty well imagined villain for this sort of thing. Since they are keeping the idea of the Empire as human supremacist the idea of an alien who outshines the rest of the Imperial officers has a lot of interesting potential story directions behind it.

If Thrawn appears in any films I will be upset

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Too bad about Zahn writing a book. I haven't read anything he's written but based on everything I've absorbed from the larger EU stuff, he really doesn't "get" Star Wars. Especially the Force as a concept and not a mechanism.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

GonSmithe posted:

The Vader scene was like a scene from Alien and it loving owned
Yeah and the star destroyer ramming scene was completely bonkers like something out of Fast and Furious 7 or what. I was grinning with amusement during it.

Another badass moment was when all the rebels were like 'ok guys it's done, let's get the hell out of here' and then they hyperspace their faces straight into a star destroyer.

Insane badass things like these should have made it into Star Wars a long time ago.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I went and saw this during the weekend and was surprised to loving love it! Like, the only bad part was the pun Darth Vader made because, well, it's Darth Vader, puns don't make any sense. But that being the only bad part is basically saying there were no bad parts. Movie loving rocked.

Seeing as how I hate episode 7 this was a huge surprise for me. Gonna go see it in theaters again in January, probably.

Edit: By the way, could one of you nerds tell me why the AT-ATs broke so easily to shipfire in this movie while the ones on Hoth had shields too strong for blasters? They kind of looked like prototypes, maybe? Or do X-Wings just have better guns?

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 21, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Man with Hat posted:

I went and saw this during the weekend and was surprised to loving love it! Like, the only bad part was the pun Darth Vader made because, well, it's Darth Vader, puns don't make any sense. But that being the only bad part is basically saying there were no bad parts. Movie loving rocked.

Seeing as how I hate episode 7 this was a huge surprise for me. Gonna go see it in theaters again in January, probably.

Edit: By the way, could one of you nerds tell me why the AT-ATs broke so easily to shipfire in this movie while the ones on Hoth had shields too strong for blasters? They kind of looked like prototypes, maybe? Or do X-Wings just have better guns?

Think of X-Wings like crazy fighter jets and the snowspeeders like a technical. The X-Wings were also covering the transports during the Hoth evacuation.

I think these weren't AT-ATs but AT-ACTs or something. Basically cargo carrying variants (which is why some of them have big empty spaces in the main hull, that's where the cargo goes).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The movie was pretty awesome. Some quations/things I missed, how come calamari man bought leia to the battle? How did calamari man know thats where Jyn was going unless he also decided to go of his own accord after the meeting? E: i know her adopted dad was gunna use her as a messenger to Obi but whyd she go to the battle?

The reprogrammed droid owns, laughed hard when he walks up to the guard at the archive and just boops him in the head.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Milky Moor posted:

Think of X-Wings like crazy fighter jets and the snowspeeders like a technical. The X-Wings were also covering the transports during the Hoth evacuation.

I think these weren't AT-ATs but AT-ACTs or something. Basically cargo carrying variants (which is why some of them have big empty spaces in the main hull, that's where the cargo goes).

Plus, the only thing really attacking the AT-AT's on Hoth were Snow Speeders, which I guess might have lighter blasters than an X-Wing or whatever

e- that's literally what you said, I read it, and I still made this post..... I had two cups of coffee already so I think my brain is just broke as gently caress, no excuses

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

underage at the vape shop posted:

The movie was pretty awesome. Some quations/things I missed, how come calamari man bought leia to the battle? How did calamari man know thats where Jyn was going unless he also decided to go of his own accord after the meeting? E: i know her adopted dad was gunna use her as a messenger to Obi but whyd she go to the battle?

The reprogrammed droid owns, laughed hard when he walks up to the guard at the archive and just boops him in the head.

Having a trained diplomat to credibly negotiate surrender in case things go real south isn't a bad idea.

Plus, Leia seems to like to be in the thick of it and is trained for combat so this is probably just what she does. After the War, she kept the title "General".

She has a place in the attack as both a diplomat and a soldier. Why wouldn't she be there?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

"Starwars are hell, but that's not the half of it, because starwars are also mystery and terror and adventure and courage and discovery and holiness and pity and despair and longing and love. starwar is nasty; starwar is fun. starwar is thrilling; starwar is drudgery. starwar makes you a man; starwar makes you dead.” - tim o brien

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this was ok movie i grow kidna tired of invincible characters though like dam you bitch rear end stormtrooper army of 500 couldnt kill atleast one of them?

also if the blind guy is blind how did he know he was beeing knapsacked before the knapsack was on his head? shouldnt his voice have been muffled?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah i couldn't figure out what they were going for, transman? butch activist? Kendo gym coach dyke? it was lost on me.

Blind ascetic monk would be my guess.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Jenner posted:

Bast Castle, Darth Vader's fortress from Jedi Academy, was in this movie and that was very cool

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

Blind ascetic monk would be my guess.

that is the joke

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

they better get fukkin tony jaa to star in the next one

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

that is the joke

Hey man, Star Wars is serious business. Absolutely no puns or jokes allowed.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

they better get fukkin tony jaa to star in the next one

well they got the crew from The Raid for The Force Awakens and then they didn't do any martial arts so anything is possible I guess

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Filthy Casual posted:

Hey man, Star Wars is serious business. Absolutely no puns or jokes allowed.

I dont get why people are mad about the darth vader puns?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 22, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It was a fun sad movie and worth watching

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

I dont get why people are mad about the darth vader puns?

yeah this one I don't get, Vader is totally a big enough douche to say something that dumb

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my problem was with darth vaders walk. he was slow and menacing iirc in the ot now he walks like he's 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

my problem was with darth vaders walk. he was slow and menacing iirc in the ot now he walks like he's 20

Old canon Vader was a pathetic cripple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

• Locked thread