Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That was fun. Issues with pacing, but Star Wars was never well written, so nobody in their right mind should be complaining. Especially after the other prequels.

Palpek posted:

Also they killed a sea of stormtroopers. I actually started feeling bad for them, rebels are a bunch of maniacs. Does a stormtrooper armor do anything? They were getting killed with a stick here.

Some of the stormtroopers who got whooped with the stick were visibly moving afterward. Probably realized they just got taken to school by a blind guy and were waiting for him to leave so they could escape with their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The blind guy I can understand because he was set up to be this kung fu master who could probably channel force into those hits but the protagonist wasn't really and she too was owning them with a club. I thought those helmets would be at least protecting against basic stuff like that but it's like they're wearing nothing at all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Palpek posted:

The blind guy I can understand because he was set up to be this kung fu master who could probably channel force into those hits but the protagonist wasn't really and she too was owning them with a club. I thought those helmets would be at least protecting against basic stuff like that but it's like they're wearing nothing at all.

Stupid sexy stormtroopers.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

I dont get why people are mad about the darth vader puns?

Tell me about it, its perfectly in character. Some people just hate fun.

Palpek posted:

They're considerably more alive than if they took the beating unarmored, I reckon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Rogue One is a good movie and definitely better than The Force Awakens.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Empress Brosephine posted:

my problem was with darth vaders walk. he was slow and menacing iirc in the ot now he walks like he's 20

He just walks like a regular dude in the opening of A New Hope

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
honestly stormtrooper armor being lovely makes perfect sense with what we know about the empire imo

it's probably mass-produced garbage (like tie fighters, which are strictly inferior to the fighters the alliance uses) because the empire is about soulless industrial militarism, and it's important for them to look intimidating and project power even if they're inept and lovely soldiers because the empire is fascist (so the look means more than the functionality)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just got back in from seeing it and it was ok. Like, yeah, it's a film set in the star wars universe doing Star Warry things, but it just didn't seem to have the gravity it was trying to have with the tragic main characters that i really didn't give a poo poo about.

It was obvious it was trying to play up the doomed heroes who's sole act is what allows the galaxy to be saved thing, but it's like we didn't really have enough time to get to know the characters to really care when they bit it. In fact, that's the major problem, other than blind non-jedi and the sassy android the others are just bland, almost interchangeable, cogs used to move the plot along.

All the film has really done is put me in the mood to go back and play Halo: Reach. It's basically the same plot with different McGuffins but with enough badass setpieces to make me give a gently caress about the characters as they die off one by one.

In fact, the bloody trailer evokes more tragedy than Rogue One did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_04E6IkcUQ

CGI Tarkin/Leia were also quite jarring. I thought Disney made Tron, did they have the B team in to do the human animation or something? Their movements and animation were like something out of Star Wars Rebels.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 23, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The score was a major weakpoint. You can make me care about just about anything with a good score.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

i kept falling asleep during it i was in and put during most of it maybe ill try to see it again but idk it was pretty boring

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You might have diabetes, and be in need of an insulin shot.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

actually i had some bloodwork done not too long ago so i think i would know if that was the case.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

The score was a major weakpoint. You can make me care about just about anything with a good score.

I wonder if that's a big part of why people give the characters a big "meh". Star Wars movies typically have a fantastic score, this was mediocre.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Tenzarin posted:

I dont get why people are mad about the darth vader puns?

Seriously. Vader is Super McCoolguy Edgelord Supreme. He is literally a character a 12 year old boy would create when asked or inspired to make just the coolest and most badass character ever.

Of course he's gonna make some loving puns. He's so drat cool, you guys!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Stupid sexy stormtroopers.

:golfclap:

Halo: Reach guy is right btw.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
what's the odds that the people saying 'pfft, these characters are so flat who cares about the film ending' would be posting 'wow, way to kill absolutely everyone and waste all that time on characters who would just die anyway'

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

what's the odds that the people saying 'pfft, these characters are so flat who cares about the film ending' would be posting 'wow, way to kill absolutely everyone and waste all that time on characters who would just die anyway'

Very low. Most people can like tragic hero stories as long as they have good characters.

Sarcastic robot = was funny and emotive, got a lot of laughs out of the audience = was sad when he died.
Not-Han Solo = Generic Broody McBrood man, = not sad at either of his deaths.
Generic white female daughter protagonist = Cared so little for her i don't remember her name = not even forced 'romancy shots' with her and Not-Han Solo could make me sad for her dying.
The pilot = So generic a character that i can't remember if they even gave him a name. = Plugged in a cable and died. Yawn.
The Blind-Not Jedi = was pretty badass and showed a fair bit of character = his home was destroyed, his Blind (get it, he's blind) faith guided him, his death was sad.
Mr Blaster = again, a character defined by his one thing, he shot a gun and had a thing on his back = his death was only sad because he was Not-Jedi's friend.

I can't even remember if there were any other 'main' characters who are even worth remembering.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 23, 2016

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can't wait to see this movie so it can help me fall asleep on a long distance flight a few months from now, like The Force Awakens did.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I liked the climax where she pushed a button.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought not jedi was mr blasters brother

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I kinda want to see the movie all the shots from the trailer that weren't in the film were from

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kin posted:

Very low. Most people can like tragic hero stories as long as they have good characters.

It's actually very high, if Halo Reach is your cultural touchstone for tragic scifi, lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked the couple of body horror scenes in the movie: Vader's decapitated body in the tank and the mind-reading penis monster. They were shot in a way that I didn't expect Star Wars to use. The paranoid extremist rebel leader was also cool with his oxygen mask: on one hand they were invoking Vader's breathing early and on the other it was creepy in itself and I was getting some Blue Velvet vibes from it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Palpek posted:

I was getting some Blue Velvet vibes from it.

I turned to my wife the first time Guerrero huffed some air and whispered "Baby wants to fuuuck" and ruined the scene for her and maybe my marriage. I gave in to the dark side :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Blue velvet has darth vader? :wtc:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Palpek posted:

I liked the couple of body horror scenes in the movie: Vader's decapitated body in the tank and the mind-reading penis monster. They were shot in a way that I didn't expect Star Wars to use. The paranoid extremist rebel leader was also cool with his oxygen mask: on one hand they were invoking Vader's breathing early and on the other it was creepy in itself and I was getting some Blue Velvet vibes from it.

Speaking of, before the camera focused on him in the cell, did anyone else mistake the pilot's black goggles for giant skull holes? I was expecting everyone to huddle to get his attention, he turns his head and looks braindead, and everyone freaking out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

Blue velvet has darth vader? :wtc:

Lynch was tapped as a potential director for Empire IIRC

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Fabricated posted:

Apparently stormtroopers can kill people so long as they skip using their rifles and just clumsily throw or accidentally drop grenades. They should've used this critical battle data in the rest of the movies.

Canonically one of them actually said that in basic training and they had him taken out behind the shed and shot for defeatism unbecoming a representative of the Empire. I'm not joking, this literally happened in the EU. (okay not literally it was actually "why don't we have the giant walkers kneel down so the rebels can't fly landspeeders between their legs" but still though)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's actually very high, if Halo Reach is your cultural touchstone for tragic scifi, lmao

A bar Rogue One didn't even reach.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kin posted:

A bar Rogue One didn't even reach.

Press X to pay your respects

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Press X to pay your respects

Press square to make a new Star Wars film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How did 3cpo and r2-d2 get on the ship at the end? Didn't they watch all the x-wings take off?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

How did 3cpo and r2-d2 get on the ship at the end? Didn't they watch all the x-wings take off?

They watched the X-Wings take off but not the bigger ships. Presumably they were brought on with Leia.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

They watched the X-Wings take off but not the bigger ships. Presumably they were brought on with Leia.

Yea but the ships all got to the place at the same time. A transport went down and got them then boarded the battle fleet? At that point why would they go back for 2 droids?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

The fleet got halfway to the target and then Leia said "Aw, poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something," so they had to turn around and get the droids.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Only the last third of the movie was any good. Most of it was jumping around from place to place for no reason.

CGI Tarkin was creepy.

The Spanish/Latino guy was uninteresting, and I didn't believe his "I've done bad things in the name of the Rebellion" bullshit. Didn't really believe any of the main characters motivations. Except Donnie Yen. He was the most interesting character. Woulda liked to see him disappear like Obi-wan.

Felt like a Marvel movie just like the other one except less polished.

Would have been better on drugs.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 26, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Saw it for the second time. Tarkin looks much better in IMAX 3D as opposed to Real 3D.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lynch was tapped as a potential director for Empire IIRC

Yeah it's interesting, way Lynch describes it he was never actually interested in directing it but met with Lucas anyways because he admired him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Saw it for the second time tonight.

First viewing I was entertained and enjoyed it as much as, possibly more than TFA. Mainly because of the third/final act.

Second viewing its flaws definitely are more glaring and detract a lot from the movie. Lackluster score (seriously when the two star destroyers crash into each other is one of the most exciting and satisfying moments of the entire movie and the music that accompanies it is a limp rendition of the forgettable Rogue One theme.) Mostly uninteresting characters with arcs and motivations that were either weak or nonexistent.

Overall a competent movie that will go down in history as absolutely no one's most or least favorite Star Wars movie.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

The Spanish/Latino guy was uninteresting, and I didn't believe his "I've done bad things in the name of the Rebellion" bullshit.

We're introduced to his character just as he does one of these bad things in the name of the rebellion by murdering that guy he just screwed over. Then you have him taking secret assassination orders later. It's right there in the film clear as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ApexAftermath posted:

We're introduced to his character just as he does one of these bad things in the name of the rebellion by murdering that guy he just screwed over. Then you have him taking secret assassination orders later. It's right there in the film clear as day.

When I saw it again, he pauses after he kills the guy too. Making it believable that he came to terms with it there. The guy was yelling the plans that there was a pilot that knew what is and how to maybe stop the death star, that guy was gonna die to someone.

• Locked thread