Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ApexAftermath posted:

We're introduced to his character just as he does one of these bad things in the name of the rebellion by murdering that guy he just screwed over. Then you have him taking secret assassination orders later. It's right there in the film clear as day.

Ya, sorry, not believable. poo poo character. Deal with it, sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Jenner posted:

Well, thanks to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them my bar has been set so low that it is practically in hell.

I was not so horribly offended and sickened by it that I asked for a refund.

Storm Troopers still have poo poo accuracy.
Why do they even WEAR armor it doesn't protect them from anything.
Appreciated that the Rebels are no longer ultimate goody good guys and it's established that they definitely did their own version of hosed up poo poo.
Did not appreciate the girl and the guy kind of falling in love pretty much out of nowhere.

About this last part, it seemed ambiguous at best, unless I blinked and they kissed. It felt more like she finally felt she could trust him, after he had had a lot to make up for. Also, if you're obviously about to die in an oncoming blastwave, hugging the friend next to you seems downright normal. So yeah, was fine with it.

Also, I agree with the people saying the music score was dull is gently caress. I mean, it wasn't actively bad like Prometheus' score or anything like that, but it just was sort of was there. Huge step down from John Williams, and this is from someone who thinks John Williams is overrated.

Kin posted:

Very low. Most people can like tragic hero stories as long as they have good characters.

Sarcastic robot = was funny and emotive, got a lot of laughs out of the audience = was sad when he died.
Not-Han Solo = Generic Broody McBrood man, = not sad at either of his deaths.
Generic white female daughter protagonist = Cared so little for her i don't remember her name = not even forced 'romancy shots' with her and Not-Han Solo could make me sad for her dying.
The pilot = So generic a character that i can't remember if they even gave him a name. = Plugged in a cable and died. Yawn.
The Blind-Not Jedi = was pretty badass and showed a fair bit of character = his home was destroyed, his Blind (get it, he's blind) faith guided him, his death was sad.
Mr Blaster = again, a character defined by his one thing, he shot a gun and had a thing on his back = his death was only sad because he was Not-Jedi's friend.

I can't even remember if there were any other 'main' characters who are even worth remembering.

Agree with all of these except I thought British Katniss Everdeen was perfectly fine. I liked how she seemed realistically uninvested in everything up until the holomessage from her father and then Forrest Whittaker dying.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

KyloWinter posted:

Ya, sorry, not believable. poo poo character. Deal with it, sucker.

Sorry that you didn't pay attention, I guess

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

it was stupid how they had the guy purposely build a flaw in the death star system rather than it just being a random flaw in the system.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This movie is antidaoist whereas the original Star Wars was Daoist through Zen Buddhism. The Useless Tree is no longer useless but rather a willful construct created through human means.

It's not the Suzuki that originally inspired Lucas to create a Campbellian narrative. It's positively Smithian.

I'm going to build an insane gimmick around this one particular reading and make everyone love me and despair because clearly that is the only way to actually enjoy movies

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm going to build an insane gimmick around this one particular reading and make everyone love me and despair because clearly that is the only way to actually enjoy movies

Right this way, sir, your table is ready: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3755790

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

it was stupid how they had the guy purposely build a flaw in the death star system rather than it just being a random flaw in the system.

I like to think that was like his 15th attempt to introduce a catastrophic flaw, but his engineering team kept catching them. Finally he did one so small and subtle, it got through QA.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Actually that was good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's good propaganda to fool plebes into voting Democrat. The system is hosed but just maybe if you work within it you can right the wrongs!
So it's a typical modern disney movie.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Man how awkward would the end of this movie had been if Carrie Fisher died before the release?

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC70DRp7KE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

It's good propaganda to fool plebes into voting Democrat. The system is hosed but just maybe if you work within it you can right the wrongs!
So it's a typical modern disney movie.

Ah yes, the movie about a violent rebellion is also about working within the system

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Actually that was good.

how the gently caress was that good

and what the gently caress is a "U-Wing"

why does this movie need hipster-rear end new ships that are never mentioned again in the series

and i hate those hipster rear end tie fighters too. this movie was hipster bullshit dude.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

how the gently caress was that good

and what the gently caress is a "U-Wing"

why does this movie need hipster-rear end new ships that are never mentioned again in the series

and i hate those hipster rear end tie fighters too. this movie was hipster bullshit dude.

This is a good post.

Also this movie would have been better with Kyle Kattarn killing everybody DOOM-style.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KyloWinter posted:

Also this movie would have been better with Kyle Kattarn killing everybody DOOM-style.

I also agree.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Kyle Katarn was such a garbage character, lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I wonder what the Death Star cafeterias were like

Did they have free space-coffee?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
OK I finally saw it.
So why is the pilot wearing shop glasses the entire movie? Did they think we wouldn't know what they were?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ApexAftermath posted:

We're introduced to his character just as he does one of these bad things in the name of the rebellion by murdering that guy he just screwed over. Then you have him taking secret assassination orders later. It's right there in the film clear as day.

That was such a bland, generic scene.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, let's be fair.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was such a bland, generic scene movie.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

FedEx Mercury posted:

OK I finally saw it.
So why is the pilot wearing shop glasses the entire movie? Did they think we wouldn't know what they were?

I think he forgot he had them on after being probed by lena dunham.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FedEx Mercury posted:

OK I finally saw it.

It's a visual shorthand to help constantly remind the audience he's a pilot, without giving him actual Red Baron style aviator goggles and a stylish scarf.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm more confused on how he recovered his mind after the squid took it

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I had assumed that everyone who lost their mind got them back when the tentacle thing died in jedahsalem.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

It's a visual shorthand to help constantly remind the audience he's a pilot, without giving him actual Red Baron style aviator goggles and a stylish scarf.

He never actually wore them over his eyes. Not a single time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FedEx Mercury posted:

He never actually wore them over his eyes. Not a single time.

Well yeah, that would look silly.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Wow this movie sucked rear end and I hated it. I'd explain more but I don't wanna violate the forum rules

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the only thing I was worried about was whether the Ghost was one of the ships that didn't get smashed by Vader's Star Destroyer. That and I was really weirded out by using old footage of the X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots from A New Hope. Like, this was a huge problem I had with TFA, I would rather have new Star Wars films that TRY to be different instead of just towing the line and meeting the fan standard.

I mean, this is why I'm :geno: about MCU films but hey they print money so I have to put up with 4 new ones each year

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i agree with a lotta whats been said but yea having the ending be a string of nested mcguffins that came down to pushing a button to make it possible to push another button at the top of a loving teetering satellite was incredibly silly bordering on cringey. still fun, light fair that'd have been better with fifteen minutes cut out and less of an ensemble cast. also discount-Pedro Pascal/Oberyn Martell was distractingly weak and underdeveloped, and i even found the actor to be relatively likable despite being massively underwritten. words.

best parts: jeddafghanistan with rebels hiding amongst civies before an ambush against occupation forces replete with the bamiyan buddha-jedi statute and then the loving epic shots of what it looks like on the ground when the death star is fired on your planet

also im willing to admit that i'd probably have been blown away had this been released before or in place of the force awakens

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 30, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Saw it, was fun, now we know what to expect in episode 9 when Leia shows up. Rip Carrie.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Aces High posted:

I mean, this is why I'm :geno: about MCU films but hey they print money so I have to put up with 4 new ones each year

No one is forcing you to watch movies.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well I kinda don't watch MCU movies, I love Star Wars and even though the Prequels sucked I always look at them as being something and it had substance and I didn't feel that way watching The Force Awakens and here with Rogue One I feel like punches were pulled.

I think I may be in the wrong thread for expressing these things but I can't find the Rogue One thread in CD so hey :v:

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Just got back from this. What a poo poo show.

Last night I watched Eyes Wide Shut for the third or fourth time and while it isn't exactly pure excitement it is literally more entertaining than Rogue One. Reminds me of the time I watched The Mummy Returns and The Turin Horse back to back and concluded that MR was the most boring movie ever.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Aces High posted:

well I kinda don't watch MCU movies, I love Star Wars and even though the Prequels sucked I always look at them as being something and it had substance and I didn't feel that way watching The Force Awakens and here with Rogue One I feel like punches were pulled.

I think I may be in the wrong thread for expressing these things but I can't find the Rogue One thread in CD so hey :v:

Its still the Millenial Trash discussion station. Also the spoiler thread and currently the comic book movie thread, too.

Clouded by the dark side, CD is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
CD needs to take their collectives heads out of their collective asses when it comes to comic book/fantasy/svi-fi films.

As much as I hate the how the MCU pumps out movies, I think I'll be okay if all the Star Wars spinoffs are as good as Rogue One.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's not like Star Wars hasn't always been a cash cow though, lol.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Since we're getting tons of feature films and TV shows instead of just toys and games of varying quality, I consider it an improvement.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
I thought it was horrible because it was as good as a made for tv movie and the cgi faces looked retarded. I'm thinking since the cgi faces worked well for people they might as well recreate the OT with all faces cgied and it wouldn't make a difference because noone seemed to care.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched the Darth Vader murder spree on youtube and meh. Star Wars just isn't my thing. Plus I think it would weird me the gently caress out seeing a young CGI Peter Cushing in the movie. I love the Hammer Dracula movies and I know that fucker has been dead for a long time. It seems like the kind of thing that would instantly take me out of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed this movie a lot but I'm not nearly as protective of Star Wars as some people. They're simple morality plays in space for babies, and Rogue One checked those three boxes for me just fine.

• Locked thread