Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched the Darth Vader murder spree on youtube and meh. Star Wars just isn't my thing. Plus I think it would weird me the gently caress out seeing a young CGI Peter Cushing in the movie. I love the Hammer Dracula movies and I know that fucker has been dead for a long time. It seems like the kind of thing that would instantly take me out of the movie.

There's nothing young about him fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not like Star Wars hasn't always been a cash cow though, lol.

its impossible for something to be both good and profitable

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched the Darth Vader murder spree on youtube and meh. Star Wars just isn't my thing. Plus I think it would weird me the gently caress out seeing a young CGI Peter Cushing in the movie. I love the Hammer Dracula movies and I know that fucker has been dead for a long time. It seems like the kind of thing that would instantly take me out of the movie.

It's actually 65 year old CGI Peter Cushing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tinker Tankie Soldier Spy posted:

its impossible for something to be both good and profitable

I was merely commenting that Star Wars has always been a commercial vehicle and that Disney's exploitation of the series will be nothing new.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I want to take this moment to remind you all that Disney's greed is the only chance we have of making some of the hosed up poo poo from the fandom and Extended Universe canon.

Come on Disney, put the big tittied cat girl aliens in a movie. You can do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jenner posted:

I want to take this moment to remind you all that Disney's greed is the only chance we have of making some of the hosed up poo poo from the fandom and Extended Universe canon.

Come on Disney, put the big tittied cat girl aliens in a movie. You can do it.

The original EU is hilariously awful and the best thing Disney has done for star wars has been dumping it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a shame that in the scene where Jyn is on top of the antenna they didn't use the TIE fighter scene from the trailer:

Much more badass than a random starfighter coming in from the side only to attack once and never be seen again.

It would be great to see a proper director's cut of the movie.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

The original EU is hilariously awful and the best thing Disney has done for star wars has been dumping it.

Why do you hate fun?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They made a version of Star Wars more like a war movie, and it turned out I didn't actually want to see that. I don't hate hate it, and it was pretty exciting while I was watching it, but I kind of don't ever want to see it again either.

Palpek posted:

It would be great to see a proper director's cut of the movie.

It does sort of feel like that there was a better movie in there that got lost in the editing. The first 1/3 is pretty dang disjointed, and it feels like ideas are brought up in that part of the movie and then forgotten about entirely. The rebellion as more like "real" freedom fighters/terrorists idea was interesting, except that it just kind of gets dropped after barely being set up in the first place.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Comparisons between western coalition forces in Iraq and the evil space empire is exactly what people want from a star wars movie. God what a mess.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Agreed, having all that stupid Star Wars extended universe spinoff bullshit about dumb tertiary details in the original movies get sequestered to easily ignored books, comics, video games etc. was so bad. I'm glad Disney decided to scrap it all and redo it the smart way, by pumping out vapid annual spinoff flicks with multimillion dollar marketing campaigns so that I'm forced to continuously acknowledge their existence for a solid two months or so every year from now into eternity. That's much better lol.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I also really appreciate these new movies having a lot of intentional plot holes that will be revealed in the spinoff movie, or comic, or video game, and having my Facebook feed fill up with garbage listicles like WOW YOU WONT BELIEVE HOW DEEPLY ROGUE ONE TIES INTO THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS IN WAYS EVEN THE FILMMAKERS DIDMT NOTICE and WHAT COULD REYS OMINOUS FLASHBACKS POSSIBLY MEAN? HERES 27 OFFICIAL THEORIES is mothercucking epic winnery.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Could Kylo Ren's Mother Be The Creator Of C3PO's Unexplained Replacement Arm? Click Here To Find Out!

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

i loved this film. heres hoping they make another side spinoff. Im personally hoping they go back to their idea of Bo-ring resucing the flavanoids on persei9

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Looking forward to hearing the Star Wars theme play in the background of commercials for movies, cars, toys, apps, phone plans, sodas, fast food chains, snack brands, video game consoles, etc at least once in every ad break each November-December from now on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Looking forward to hearing the Star Wars theme play in the background of commercials for movies, cars, toys, apps, phone plans, sodas, fast food chains, snack brands, video game consoles, etc at least once in every ad break each November-December from now on.

- Someone posting from 1978.

Why are you acting like Star Wars just recently sold out and got commodified?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

WampaLord posted:

Disco Star Wars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3kV3Icm28

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It used to be that I had to put up with it every 3 years, instead of annually

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jenner posted:

Why do you hate fun?

What's fun about that bloated mess? It was universally awful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Plus a year of leadup beforehand and a year afterwards

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SimonCat posted:

Disco Star Wars!
Don't forget the Rebel Force Band from 1977. The Ballad of Obi Wan is epic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8NjEspThbE&t=1397s

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Is your life some kind of cycle of two years in a coma and one year awake?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This movie has a titular line for both itself and the next installment in the saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GrHGnFtg4

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

yeah I mean, why WOULDNT you want a new star wars movie every other year? or every single year? It's Star Wars.

Star Wars. Let that sink un for a second. Star Wars.

Awesome, just awesome.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
good movies > star wars

thankfully star wars has reasonably consistently been good movies, with the exception of 'literally a tv show pilot stitched together because george lucas thought it was that good' (and even that lead to a good tv show as a consolation prize), so here's hoping more star wars = more good movies anyway

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Being a pretty big Star Wars Stan, I saw it on the ultra-super-mega screen in my town's old Imax theatre and had a really fun time. Beat the poo poo outta the prequels, that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Warning Bad Movie

• Locked thread