Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My hairline's receding. I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to go for the super-short look to match the length of my beard and I was curious if there was any way I could work with someone to get a rendering or semi-decent photo of what I'd look like in that style.

Is there a market for this? Professionals? I mean, other than just a Photoshop job, I'd like someone who'd at least understand basic hair styles for guys so I could evaluate what to me is a fairly big step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There are actually some decent-ish apps to do just that, assuming you're white. Other skintones tend to fair a lot worse.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Plenty of apps can do this http://infinigeek.com/top-10-apps-that-let-you-try-on-different-haircuts/

No idea how well they work.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shave your head. It'll look sexy. Do it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
As someone who's 95% certain he's going to go bald sooner or later, I recommend just shaving it short. Don't have a skullet.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you are german you can pull off the balding in front/long in back look. you gotta grow a mustache and wear a leather jacket though

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's hair, it grows back. Unless you're getting married in the next month or so just do it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Kazvall posted:

Shave your head. It'll look sexy. Do it.

I would wait until winter is over if it's cold where you are

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Just get it cut short. Use a trimmer or pay a barber to do it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want to see what it looks like before I do that, though.

None of the apps really had the very short hairstyle anyway.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
grow a pair and shave your hair

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In my early 20's when my hairline first started receding (it fortunately stopped receding by around 22/23*, so there's still hope it won't just continue indefinitely!) I had a terrible time with finding a stylist who wouldn't gently caress up and give me a haircut that didn't suit my hairline. I finally ended up finding someone, but I had a bunch of terrible haircuts in the interim.

* I'm 31 now, so I'm pretty confident at this point that my current hairline is probably my permanent one. Which is good, because it's still low enough that I can have medium length hair (my face is very poorly suited to super short hair).

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MJP posted:

If it's receding there is a 99.9% chance that it will look better than whatever you are currently doing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MJP posted:

Post a decent photo here and I am sure someone will do it for you

Or they will photoshop your head into a penis.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If you do end up shaving it, have a beard. A bald man without a beard looks like a progeriatic baby.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

If you do end up shaving it, have a beard. A bald man without a beard looks like a progeriatic baby.

Agreed.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

If you post a picture of yourself, I bet a lot of goons would be really excited to try to help you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doverhog posted:

Progeriatric is an interesting word, I gotta look it up. I do have a beard, I figured it would look better than the goatee I used to have when the inevitable short hair day came.

Here's a quick album, showing my normal look and where the hairline really is. If fyad leaks, oh well

https://imgur.com/a/5B4gD

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Just ask a barber what they think. If they want to go for it, then try it out. Worst case scenario is you can go back to you usual look in a month or two.

Keg fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 25, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MJP posted:

Progeriatric is an interesting word, I gotta look it up. I do have a beard, I figured it would look better than the goatee I used to have when the inevitable short hair day came.

Here's a quick album, showing my normal look and where the hairline really is. If fyad leaks, oh well

https://imgur.com/a/5B4gD

eh, imo that hair still looks good and fortunately you have a decent beard, so both options would work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's pretty normal hair for a dude tbh.

Makes you look smart.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's a decent barber by where I work and I know what # trimmer length I like for my sides, so it's usually just like "#3 on the sides, proportionate on the top, whatever looks good with the hairline" and I shut up and let him do his work.

My wife thinks I'd look good with the Very Short Shave given the beard, but I've been on the fence the last year or so. If I had bristly hair on the beard I could probably pull it off, but my hair's not bristly and if my beard gets much shorter it looks too peachfuzzy.

I'll keep it as is, because I could use the look-smartness. At least for this year.

Now I just gotta give in and order a wool watchcap, because my head gets cold D:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

doverhog posted:

and FFS do not shave both to the same length. I don't care which is longer, but having the exact same length all over your head looks like you just finished chemo or something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You're a guy. Shave your hair off, and evaluate is as it grows back to find the length you like. At worst, it'll be back to "guy length" in about a month and a half.

If you can't live with that for a month and a half, a receding hairline is the least of your problems.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Your hair looks pretty normal. But cut it short, and it will grow back

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Listen to your wife. Buzz that poo poo and hit the gym. Turn 40 looking like some scary rear end motherfucker.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Listen to your wife. Buzz that poo poo and hit the gym. Turn 40 looking like some scary rear end motherfucker.
Yeah well if you really want to sport that angry bodybuilder with a violent temper look. You really gotta be careful with shaving.

I think your hair looks fine, but if you do shave, keep the beard so you don't look like the aforementioned maniac.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Use hair simulation software.

Worked for Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Short hair or bald needs to be on a fit dude. Otherwise you look like a slug thing if you're fat and some loving gawky weirdo if you're skinny.

Just like chicks. Banging body and short hair? Amazing. Fatty with short hair? Omg get away from me you dyke pig thing

• Locked thread