Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Mario Run, out now on iOS, "later" on Android:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTglyDBdp-A

It's a runner but it's not an endless runner, aside from the async multiplayer mode that's an endless runner!

It's free to download but there's a $10 paywall BUT there's no other microtransactions/IAP!

It's played entirely in portrait mode with one finger!

There's a tacked-on kingdom-building metagame that isn't interesting and also isn't trying to milk gullible people into spending more money so why is it even there?

It uses New Super Mario Bros. art/music because that's just what Mario is now, I guess!

Mario vaults over goombas if he runs into them but you probably didn't want to kill them anyhow!

Nintendo's stocks are crashing because all their stupid investors are mad it's not f2p!

Let's talk and have fun with Mario and friends, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It's good op.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Someone posted a guide to unlocking all the playable characters in one of the other Nintendo threads; but I can't track it down again. Anyone have it handy?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

jivjov posted:

Someone posted a guide to unlocking all the playable characters in one of the other Nintendo threads; but I can't track it down again. Anyone have it handy?

Peach: beat all the levels

Toad: link to My Nintendo

Yoshi: collect 30 Red Toads and 30 Yellow Toads in Toad Rally and buy the "Yoshi's House" item in My Kingdom

Luigi: collect 150 Green Toads and 150 Purple Toads in Toad Rally and buy the "Luigi's House" item in My Kingdom

Toadette: collect 200 Red Toads, 200 Blue Toads, 200 Green Toads, 200 Purple Toads and 200 Yellow Toads in Toad Rally and buy the "Toadette's House" item in My Kingdom

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's stocks are crashing because all their stupid investors are mad it's not f2p!

I thought this was a joke until I actually looked at their stock value from the last 24 hours. :wtc:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think this game is good for what it is but I have a feeling it won't do that well and Nintendo won't make many phone games after the ones they announced.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think this game is good for what it is but I have a feeling it won't do that well and Nintendo won't make many phone games after the ones they announced.

You can search for this game on Twitter or elsewhere and see endless complaints about how expensive it is and how people feel like they've been tricked because it's not f2p, but I think that'll dissipate pretty quickly.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

A+ thread title

I like how technical the game is, there is a lot of room for finesse in a game where the only control is tapping the screen

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
who do you think buys nintendo first - apple or disney

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Disney.

I think it's pretty mediocre. The fact that network lag pauses gameplay is just awful in an action game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Super Mario Run was downloaded 2.85 million times in its first day

It's unlikely to stay at the top of the charts due to its business model. It's sales will be frontloaded with spikes for any future expansion packs they release. It should download well throughout its lifetime since it's Free to Start.

The larger goal is to expose more people to the Mario brand and get them more active in purchasing other Nintendo products, similar to how Pokemon Go boosted 3DS and Pokemon Sun/Moon sales. Even now, New Super Mario Bros Wii, a 2009 game, is back in the top 100 Video Game Best Seller charts in Amazon US.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

So are we gonna add each other to this weird Mario game, I just found an iPad

I'm 4472-8230-4333 (yes this game uses Friend Codes)

Spellman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 17, 2016

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Spellman posted:

I sent a friend request. I have no real life friends who are dumb enough to buy this, but I sure am!

7717-9638-3401

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

I'm 2509-1762-6731

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sent friend quest to the ones posted here.

My code is 5836-4890-4032

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
Better than I thought it would be!

I've added everyone in thread so far. My code is 8366-1117-2912

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress MARIO, TOAD main here.

1308-9599-9931

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was really looking forward to unlocking Luigi, but given how rubbish I am at Toad Trails it's going to be a loooong time before I get enough mushroom peeps to unlock him. Also, I'm OCD as hell and I can't move on to the next level until I complete the pink, purple and green/black challenges in each previous level.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
are there seriously friend codes lmao

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Of course there would be friend codes even though they just made that Nintendo Account thing for Miitomo, My Nintendo, and in theory everything that would come after.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A tip, you can subdue the forward momentum on your jumps by tap-swiping backwards, so if the timing isn't quite right or you see yourself coming towards a fire bar, you can slow your roll by tap-flicking backwards. Can also get some color coins that are just out of reach in some cases, like that scenario where a pink coin is just out of reach of your wall jump, but if you could jump a little further back you could get it — this is a method.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Of course there would be friend codes even though they just made that Nintendo Account thing for Miitomo, My Nintendo, and in theory everything that would come after.

I have avoided the stress of having to enter people's friend codes by posting mine first. Now I can truly play with one hand.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Where the gently caress do I get my other toads at. I don't wanna burn my rally tickets on nothing but reds.

Also does the :10bux: come with any future packs or just the first six worlds.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

widespread posted:

Where the gently caress do I get my other toads at. I don't wanna burn my rally tickets on nothing but reds.

You'll get mostly reds, but the other colors come from stages that match their color, ex. you can win yellow toads from deserts and purple toads from Ghost Houses. Airships have some of every colored Toad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

are there seriously friend codes lmao

A ton of Japanese phone games rely on ID number bullshit, it's not just Nintendo being dumb. You can import people from twitter/facebook.

widespread posted:

We don't know and noone bothered to ask Miyamoto about this on his recent press tour.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

We don't know and noone bothered to ask Miyamoto about this on his recent press tour.

God dammit. Thought that'd be- y'know- a good question.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that it's a solid amount of content for $10, but I'm very keen on the coin challenges, so that counts for a lot to me.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
I like this game, but it's one of those games that has a problem where there's a part they put a lot of thought into (the main campaign), and a part where they didn't (the Toad Rallies)... and nearly all the unlockables are in the latter part. If you want to play as Toadette, have fun grinding the random airship stage 100 times, hoping you get the paths with the stars.

It's not terrible, but it's a bit of a slog, and there's more crapshoot luck involved than there should be. And for the part of the game that's ostensibly multiplayer, it doesn't feel much like a competition. You're battling the other player's ghost, with no way to interact, grief, or hinder their progress so in the end it's really just a random 1-player course wth a random score you need to beat in the end; one that hopefully isn't too high.

But yeah, the main game is fine, and I like the multiple coin challenges as well. Would be nice if they added a way to get Toads in that mode!

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome
Add me to your friends so we can both get our sweet coin bonus:
0964-9375-9685

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can't play this till the exclusivity runs out but I'm curious, what's Toad and Toadettes "power?"

I heard Luigi jumps higher and Peach has her float but dunno what those two do.

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I have no friends!
8813-6911-7018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can't play this till the exclusivity runs out but I'm curious, what's Toad and Toadettes "power?"

I heard Luigi jumps higher and Peach has her float but dunno what those two do.

Toad runs faster.

Toadette controls identically to Mario but playing as her in Toad Rush will convert some of your opponents' toads to your side during the score tally or something.

Peach/Toad/Yoshi/Toadette are all one-hit characters that don't grow when they collect mushrooms like Mario and Luigi.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Friend codes are the dumbest thing in the world and somebody at Nintendo should get fired for including them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Roadie posted:

Friend codes are the dumbest thing in the world and somebody at Nintendo should get fired for including them.

We can't fire all of Japan.

We've tried.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Things to ruin your day: Ghost House Toad Rally

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Spellman posted:

Things to ruin your day: Ghost House Toad Rally

Go for they pink coins and try the at least hit the flag first. Your opponent is just as lost as you are and most of the runs I had in ghost houses I won because my opponent skipped out on the pink coins.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
The airship Toad Rally was a ton easier before I cleared World 3. Because up until then, all the random sections contained guaranteed stars. Now that I beat the game, it's a total crapshoot and I keep running into opponents who somehow get the star from the random blocks 80% of the time when I only ever get mushrooms.

So basically, the game punishes you for getting far in the game, lol.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This game is fun because I have Mario on my phone.

Friend Code: 4995-4041-0928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I ain't payed Nintendo my MARIO ransom yet, do the tickets come fast and easy with the full game?

• Locked thread