Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
A bunch of people want a 2017 thread, so here we are.

Current figures:

-$9k in savings.
-$7,200 in HSA.
-$65,000 in 401k.
-$18,000 in Roth IRA.
-$7,000 outstanding 401k loan.
Net worth: $95k

Goals for 2017:
-Pay off 401k loan and be debt free for the first time in 7 years.
-Increase emergency fund to $10k.
-Max out 401k.
-Max out IRA.
-Max out HSA.
-$20k to house down payment fund.
-Increase net worth to $150k(assuming no big market collapse). Of course this is just a combination of the above goals but it would feel good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Current Figures -
- Approximately $390,000 of student loans, of which only $20,000 not eligible for forgiveness through qualifying payments.
- Approximately 6 months into a $280,000 mortgage, $28,000 of which exists as a “second mortgage” which will require a balloon payment at year 5 and draws monthly interest payments of at 4% but has no penalty for prepayment, and $252,000 of which exists at 3.2% on a 5/1 ARM. Our long-term goal is to have this paid in full or refinanced in less time than it will take for the ARM to vary.
- Approximately $66,000 remaining in car loan at 2%. (Yes, it was a big loan, no, I don’t usually regret it).
- Second car paid in full, but now 13 years old and increasingly fickle. Aim to not replace this until MBA paid in full.
- Matched 403 (b)’s from our employer matched with 10% to our 5%, as well as post-tax money making up the rest to our maximum eligible.

By end of Q1:
- Down to 2 credit cards, neither carrying any interest.
- Savings to 16k.

By end of Q2:
- Personal CC debt free.
- Savings to 32k.

By end of Q3:
- Savings to 6 months expenses, max that we can earn 2+% on in our credit union checking.
- Wife private student loan retired.

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full (this may adjust as my work has decided to pay for graduate degrees - plan will be similar to others who have reported keeping the tuition in savings in case a change of jobs becomes likely before my tuition is forgiven by work)
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded.

Yearly Goals:
- No new debt.
- Be promoted to clinical assistant professor (slight pay raise).

Things we will not try to do:
- Pay anything beyond the minimum on our awful student loans - we are both eligible for PSLF in less than 5 years, so will be aiming to stick to this payment schedule, which this year accelerates to 10 year basic repayment.
- Mess around with the car situation - I’m happy with the car that I bought for my wife, although it was expensive and has a high monthly payment, it is under warranty and it feels safe for her and my daughter to get around.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting)
- 457 plan launched at work (I have requested this, CEO on board and benefits officer looking into cost/benefits to launch in 2017), fully funded by both wife and I
- Have my paid-off car last another year.

Juicef
Feb 14, 2009
I just bought 10 cans of pineapple for $10.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Figures -
- Approximately $66,000 remaining in car loan at 2%. (Yes, it was a big loan, no, I don’t usually regret it).

Things we will not try to do:
- Mess around with the car situation - I’m happy with the car that I bought for my wife, although it was expensive and has a high monthly payment, it is under warranty and it feels safe for her and my daughter to get around.

Stretch Goals

- Have my paid-off car last another year.

You know I hate your car loan but at 2% I'd just make sure you aren't underwater and then make your minimums.

edit: never mind, pretty sure I totally misinterpreted that whole thing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In 2017 I got a raise, which means I can bump up some numbers.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving
Max 401K
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage
Max IRA
Net worth goal: $225,000

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo
go on a cool vacation

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo

Preemptive congrats but get a prenup and don't take no for an answer!

Juicef
Feb 14, 2009
I'm going to get a credit card so I can buy a PS4.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Preemptive congrats but get a prenup and don't take no for an answer!

Screw that. Just marry someone who makes more than you do.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

potatoducks posted:

Screw that. Just marry someone who makes more than you do.

Well yeah that's the ideal. In that case don't let them make you sign one.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Here we go...

2017 Goals:
- $50K into 401k (via mega backdoor Roth)
- $20k into eventual house down payment fund
- $6k to max out family HSA
- Cross $950k in total savings (retirement and non-tax advantaged) - currently at $850k
- Increase gross income from $250k to at least $275k

Assuming ~$250k in income, this will be:
~$80k in taxes
~$65k in spending (total, all in)
~$50k in retirement
~$55k in other savings

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
:stare:

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Eh. This is already the forum sanctioned brag thread. I'm sure others can go higher.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Meh, I think we covered this earlier. Finance / tech in NYC. Jokes on me because after cost of living I probably make closer to $125k compared to everyone outside Manhattan and when you consider I work 70+ hours a week on a per hour basis I'm about on part with someone pulling down $65k in Dallas.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Proposition Castle posted:

Putting this in writing so I can hit this goal and hopefully next year's:

2016:
Get student loan payments down from $1304.62 to $1200 per month.
Bad napkin math (85 months left * 104.62) shows about a $9000 overpayment needed by the end of the year. This is only doable with a lot of butt-clenching.

2017:
Maintain $2400 per month on the loans.
Put all overtime towards loans with a goal of reducing the payment to $970 per month.
Why $970? More bad math shows this would allow me to continue paying the loans off with double the monthly payment while automating contributions to a Roth IRA.

With two paychecks in 2016 left the loan payment is down to $1100. Edit: after submitting the recalculation request the payment is $1050

I SAY, gently caress YOU JO-BOU, I DO IT MYSELF.

new 2017 goal: Dave Ramsey the gently caress out of the rest of the loans. $62000 to go.

Proposition Castle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 2, 2017

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Bring it, 2017.

Current Figures:
Savings: $11k (5.5k e-fund, 1.7k vacay, 1k car stuff, 2.5k house, the rest is misc.)
Retirement Funds: $45k (401a + Roth)
Debt: $0
Net Worth: $72k

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 94k.
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k.
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k.
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k.
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA.
6. Stay debt free.
7. Lose 15 pounds.

spinst fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 26, 2016

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am struggling a little bit on what to have as goals for next year at this point. I have basically am in auto pilot on most of my list below. This generally makes me feel adrift a bit as I have been working so hard on knocking down all the goals the last 5 years. I could try to spend less of food or even save more but I just am not up for that. I will probably have to put in some workout goals or life goals outside of this list to motivate myself.

1) Max 401k
2) Max Roth IRA
3) Max HSA
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxable account
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement

One thing I need to look into is if I could get my mom to open an IRA and I contribute to that since she is working. Not sure the legality of it but it would be nice to be tax advantaged with that money. E: Looks like this is doable and it looks like based on my mom's income (need to verify) a TIRA will be deductible for her but this might be the best approach. I am doubtful she is contributing anything to an IRA currently.

I will keep pondering this stuff over the next few weeks but I am also open to suggestions.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2016

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2017 Goals:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k
- 50/month in daughter's 529
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money with her business idea (gotta start small)
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

No stretches this year. I didn't think they were worth having last year. If we do anything better than stated above, it's a stretch in my mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got kind of lazy about posting in the 2016 thread but I still stuck with my goals and hit quite a few (but not all) of them. Definitely better off financially now than I was this time last year. New standing/goals-

--Pay off 3k of student loan (6k remaining; $250/mo payments)
--Pay off 5k of auto loan (13k remaining; $:420:/mo payments)Stay up-to-date on car payments.
--Save up remaining $2500 owed to parents for wedding in 2015 (saved up first 2.5k as 2016 goal, parents only asked for 1.5k back for now so the other 1k from that in still in savings)
--Hit $750/mo minimum in side work. Put at least $500 OR half of each side check into savings, whichever is greater.
--Merge 401ks from previous job and current job. Stretch: do it before I get a new job :v:
--Start using some sort of actual budgeting program/software for my wife and I (recs welcome!)
--Maintain an "entertainment" budget of $100/month (video games, tabletop gaming stuff, movies, shows, etc. Kind of a nebulous idea, and that initial number may be too high)

Non-monetary goals:
--Continue lifting twice a week.
--Run another road race after not doing one in 2016.
--ReadFinish one new book each month (because I started this with a book I was reading in 2016, but still had a few hundred pages to go)
--Get rid of something every day. Can be one of the many unnecessary papers from my desk, or some of the clothes I've been meaning to donate for months, or maybe I will finally sell off my old video game collection (:lol:). Basically, I gave away a huge chunk of my Magic: the Gathering collection towards the end of last year and want to keep the de-clutter train rolling.

A lot of this hinges on my wife's job status- she's a postdoc now but did a ton of interviews this fall and is supposed to hear back soon about positions starting late spring/summer. If she gets the job she wants I'll have divert some money into moving/settling in a new city, after which point she will be making double what she makes now. If that pans out like we're hoping it will I should be able to pick up a higher-paying job as well, at which point I can go hard at this debt. She claims she'll even help me with my student loans! We'll see.

E: Taking some advice from elsewhere in the forum and focusing on the smaller debt first. There's an outside chance I may sell my car this year and recoup the rest of the payment but those student loans will haunt me until they've actually been paid off.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 16, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

2017 goals:

-Slowly get a full financial picture of my wife's assets and draw out a manage plan with her for taking care of them (she's let her parents do it for her up till now)
- Max out her 403b and my TSP (18,000 each? Does the limit apply per household? Not positive on this)
- Max out IRAs (same question as above. $5,500 apiece)
-figure out how to transfer contributions from old pension plan over to new employer (this is only like $2,000)
-Hit $10,000 rainy day fund goal.
- move towards $10,000 parental emergency coverage rainy day fund
-start saving for house down payment?

Not goals:
Don't buy a house
don't have kids
don't have your old & poor parents get sick or hurt!
Don't get fired!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
2017 Goals:

Continue to max my TSP and IRA
Max Healthcare FSA and Childcare FSA
Complete financial planning (will, medical directives)
Continue on IBR on my student loans for PSLF
Establish and fund 529 plan, minimum $100/month. I expect to contribute more but we don't gain anything from the state tax deduction so it's not a huge priority compared to the retirement savings.

Stretch goals:
Pay off wife's student loans (approx $29K)
Max wife IRA
Contribute to wife 401k once it's established

Tyro fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 20, 2016

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I'll play again this year

Goals for 2017:
Max out HSA contributions of $3,400
Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,000
Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second
Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job
Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time)
Spend tax return on hookers and blow in Vegas
Vacation to a continent that isn't North America
Sell my current motorcycle

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Goals for 2017

Habit oriented
1 - My wife and I are going to start using YNAB and regularly track our expenses actively instead of passively with Mint after the fact. By end of January, build the habit to religiously record everything we spend.
2 - My wife and I need to better structure our outside-of-work businesses. By end of January, build a schedule for our at-home projects that we can adhere to at 50%. By end of March, 80% adherence. Stick at 80% average level from March to December.
3 - I need to get more structured with my workouts and not go from great performance to weeks of lovely adherence. By end of January, build a workout schedule I can adhere to at 50%. By end of February, 80%. Stick at 80% average level from February to December.

Expense oriented for both Sundae and Wife
1 - Right now, life is great because my company is paying most of my rent in the Bay Area. In June 2018, that subsidy supposedly ends. GOAL: Put aside $2,500 a month in savings each month in 2017 to simulate ability to live within budget in bay area without the rent subsidy.
2 - Limit our at-home alcohol purchases to $30 per month. (2 bottles of wine per month, basically.)
3 - Limit eating out (including lunch and dinner) to $148 a month. ($100 dinner, $48 lunch)
4 - Greed Limit (ooh shiny purchases): $200 for both per month.
5 - Glutton Limit (ooh tasty purchases): $100 for both per month.

Business Oriented
1 - Publish three new stories per month, minimum. Wife will assist.
2 - Publish two new novels in 2017, minimum.
3 - Grow short story author mailing list by 500 names in 2017.
4 - Grow novel author mailing list by 500 names in 2017.
5 - Put aside all non-tax and non-expense income from side business as savings. (AKA, live entirely within the bounds of the day job salary.)

Lifestyle Oriented
1 - Lose 12 pounds at minimum. If I fail at this, I loving suck. 12 pounds should be so goddamned easy that it's shameful. Stretch Goal: Lose 24 pounds.
2 - By end of February, schedule and attend a meeting with my day job company's financial advisor to determine how much, exactly, I'm allowed to put away for retirement in each eligible type. (I have a fairly complicated income package, with salary, self-employed income, RSUs and SARs. I'm maxing my 401(k) and putting some into a Roth IRA, but I want to figure out what I'm eligible to do and max things appropriately. I'm not using his suggestions, but I want dollar amounts.)
3 - STRETCH GOAL: If applicable from #2, increase my retirement contributions by no less than 5% to eligible non-401(k) sources in 2017.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 20, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sundae posted:

Goals for 2017

Expense oriented for both Sundae and Wife
2 - Limit our at-home alcohol purchases to $30 per month. (2 bottles of wine per month, basically.)

You need to lower your standards :colbert:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

You need to lower your standards

She already married me. What more do you want of her, you monster?

:downsrim:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Big one is to clear out all I owe in collections. Which is only about 3k. So not an insurmountable amount.

Stick to my budget.

Build a halfway decent emergency fund.

Pull my husband's credit report and figure out what we need to work on first for him.

Do the math to figure out if it's more cost effective for him to go back to work lose Medicaid and have to go on my health insurance, or stick with just his disability check and leave him on Medicaid. He wants to work, but he's on two meds that don't have a generic.... So it's a giant mess of math to figure out how much he'd have to make to break even with increased premiums and copays.

Save down payment for a new car, since I don't know if my 99 voyager has another Midwestern winter in it.

Start a 529 for the kiddo.

We clear around 2k combined, and only need half of that for bills. (Grocery spending can be a splurge for us if we do steak 3x/week, but we can trim our essentials down to:

Rent/utilities: 650
Insurance: 75
Gas: 50
Groceries: 250

And stick to 40/week each spending money. Which is 320 tidal

So that leaves us with like 500 a month left over which means 400 into the e fund, and 100 towards debts. So definitely some doable stuff.)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne's 2017 Financial Goals!
1. No. New. Debt.
2. Increase 401k contributions to 12% (from 10%)
3. Pay off remainder of furniture loan ($1488)
4. Build emergency fund to $12,500 (from $8,200)
5. Lower the 6.8% student loan to $7,500 (from $11,600)

Stretches:
6. Lower the student loan to $5,000
7. Build medium-term savings fund to $2,000

There are two potential events that could upend these, but I'm sticking to them for now!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k
2) Max both IRAs
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me
4) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate)
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 95k currently)
6) Take at least a week's vacation

Stretch

1) Update kitchen (15k max)
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max)

Details

I am giving up my traveling consulting career and taking a FTE remote job with my consulting company in Jan. Without getting too into it, this past year we found out (not unexpectedly) that my husband has a very rare disease and will eventually be completely disabled and require memory care. We want to be around each other as much as possible and make good memories while we still can. We have decided to keep to the plan and fund our retirement, pay off the house, and keep cash in reserve to hedge against whatever may come. He's going to keep working his government job for as long as he can (difficult to get fired from is a perk now) and he's enrolled in a clinical trial starting this spring, so we're cautiously optimistic, but realistic at the same time.

Having stated financial goals to work towards helps TREMENDOUSLY with the stress of the unknown. We can't complain; our life now is fairly good and we will keep living and enjoying each day as it comes.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Damnit all, we still have 10 days left in 2016. Do we really need to be thinking about 2017 already?

gently caress yes we do!

Goooooooaaaaaalllllls for 2017
1. Pay off credit card
2. Max out flexible spending account contribution
3. Maintain 401k contribution
4. Purchase rental property number 3
5. Don't take on any additional consumer debt.

Personal Goal for 2017
Go get my balls cut because babies are expensive and one is enough.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
2016 was my first year doing something like this. The results were mixed, but a major win was to write down what I wanted. This ment that most of the important stuff was done by February. Now I will try to create goals that will force me to focus all year long. Here goes.

Goals
Keep savings as % of income at or abve 25%
2016 will end with me saving 29.7% if nothing changes in the last week of the year. With a kid though, I'm leaning towards my wife's idea of a completely joined economy, and a tentative savings plan gives us a combined saving power of 36-odd percent of post tax earnings while maintaining a comfortable and undemanding lifestyle. We could probably save around 50% and hate our lives, but that seems pointless. With one of us at home on benefits all year though 25% seems more feasable.

Open a tax-advantaged account for baby, buy index funds monthly
ISK is a Swedish insane savings/investment account that has an extremely low (about 1%), flat tax on assets, regardless of profits/loss. I'm thinking I could save $100 or so every month and start the nest egg for the future generation. The way we treat each other and the planet, she's going to need it. Cold war bunkers are not going to be cheap come climatepocalypse.

No more online gambling
This is some shameful BadWithMoney.exe-poo poo. Many years ago I used to gamble and drink a lot. Then I quit doing both for a while. After baby arrived I started playing and losing money on online poker during my sleepless nights. Not much, but it's the dumb and it will end now.

Learn a thing; see if thing can be used to create side income
I'll be on paternal leave from june until the beginning of 2018. Time to get my learn on! Ukulele? Writing classes? Language? Knitting? Stone Masonry? Who knows what crazy things could be learned while carrying a baby harness?

Start to transition portfolio from individual stock to index funds
I am no market wizz; I just like gambling. I have no stomach for it on this level though so I should probably quit.

Get wet and cold
I have spent about two hours training since baby arrived in late september. Soon she'll be old enough for me to take her to "infant-swim." I need to find a way to get back into the pool 2-3 times a week so that I can go back to being an Open Water Boss. Finally, in a few months I'm going to ski for 90kms, so I need to get in shape for that as well.

Other stuff
Have a nice vacation
Doing a fun with baby will be great!

Sleep
Lol, this will fail.

Go debt free
Not sure that this is a good idea tax (or investment) wise; but if we have been good and lucky enough by the end of 2017 when our morgage is due to be renegociated it might be nice to just pay it off and never look back.

Make baby 2
Baby 1 needs sibling to boss around.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
2017, like most of my annual goals are not very challenging. We make ok money, have a mortgage but no other debt, two kids in daycare, and we're saving moderately for retirement and kid's education so I feel we're hitting all the high points.

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me. Fullsize truck or SUV to replace our second car / truck (both vehicles high miles and truck cannot fit family). Hoping to only finance about half of it. Have ~$3500 saved thus far.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k
5. Stretch goal: Pay off newly acquired vehicle from step 2.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I slacked a little on the savings front in 2016. Did a lot, but didn't manage to really optimize because my housing situation was up in the air. Now I'm in a steady living situation that I love and am almost done with my schoolin'.

2017 Financial Goals
- Max 401k
- Max ROTH IRA
- Keep video game spending to less than $40/mo
- Keep at-home alcohol spending to under $40/mo
- Take a vacation without feeling guilty.

2017 Career Goals
- Finish Masters on-time w/associated raise
- Pass PE exam on first attempt
- Uh... don't get fired, I guess?

2017 Stretch goals
- Save $10k beyond 401k/IRA
- Help my siblings organize their finances for their budding careers

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Awesome, I welcome the new thread, and the hopes for a new year!

Honestly, the list is usually boring because I do so much on autopilot, but there is a bit of drama to start the year that (for once) has nothing to do with my family.
I'm going to make more money and be miserable for Q1! How does that happen? I'm doing double the work, but I get paid extra to do so!

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

3 - MAX THE HSA! I have access to an HSA! Finally! (Nobody at work really knows why this made me so excited during open enrollment)

4 - Continue funding 529 at 250/month

5 - STRETCH - pay off that ~20K car loan. I'm taking this one back on myself; based on family dynamics, getting rid of this by the end of next year will recreate the type of cash flow that will allow a bit more breathing room and use as an unofficial family emergency fund. I don't think Trump got my letter to get an exemption from economic policy and outsource my parents/siblings/in-laws.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Current Figures:
31/32 year old married couple. We've just started our real careers in the past 2-3 years, and got married last year. We're pretty high earners at this point, but our retirement/cash savings don't necessarily reflect that due to our careers starting late, and paying off ~$75k student loans over the last few years. Still, we're thankful and privileged to be in a good place financially.

Current monthly budgeted expenses: $2600-$3000, pending yearly budget reevaluation
Current emergency fund: $6.5k (plus another $10k or so cash on hand in various YNAB buckets)
No debt besides whatever credit card balance we PIF every month (thanks 2016!)
Current Net Worth: ~$76k, divided ~$60k in tax advantaged retirement accounts, ~$16k cash on hand
No real assets beyond retirement ($3k car in great shape and $1k car, which will be sold after winter. No house)

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (with one small exception) - That means no cars, unless ours gets totaled. It means no house (the exception being if we find something that's exactly what we want and are done or close enough to done saving our down payment)
2) Evaluate career change - I work Software QA, but have been gradually taking on some DevOps responsibilities. I'm going to take a week of vacation sometime in Q1 to brush up my coding skills and determine if I'd like to shift into DevOps/Dev full time
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Just have to actually do it.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - we could get our expenses down to $2k/month pretty easily in a job loss situation, so 12k is about 6 months of expenses. That plus our YNAB bucket balances should keep us afloat in all but the worst case scenarios
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - This would be the first year we've done that, and since we're considering early retirement, we really need to get on that
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - I'd love to max these, but I've stalled on buying a house as long as I can. The wife is itching to go (and truthfully, I am ready now too). Next year, maxing these is likely
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house - We're in a fairly low CoL area, $200k will get you a nice modestly sized house
8) Take a vacation - We're not extravagant spenders on vacations, but the wife has never been out of North America. We'd like to remedy that either this year or (more likely) next. Regardless, funding some sort of vacation this year is important
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - The savings rate is more important than the NW goal, since it's not dependent on the stock market's performance, but it's nice to have a single number goal too.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Really shouldn't be that hard, but that's what I said last year and here we are... I have some plans to make this easier this year, but that's out of scope of this thread.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Retirement Savings Goals
  • My Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • Her Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • My 457(b): $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)
  • Her TSP: $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)

We should definitely be able to max out all accounts this year unless something goes seriously sideways.

File my taxes by April 15th
For the past few years, I have always been ready to file by the end of March except for the K-1 I needed for the family partnership I was a part of. My aunt is a terrible person, and doubly terrible about finances, so I never received this form before like April 12th every year. Stressful!

This past year, my family miraculously (if acrimoniously) charted a path out of the partnership, selling our shares to my aunt. There is one final hurdle to clear: receiving the final K-1. Will my aunt get this to us in a timely fashion? Will she vindictively delay the release of the form, forcing us all to go through the headache of filing for an extension? I sure hope not! Timely filing this year will feel wonderful and will snip the last financial tie I have with my aunt. :pray:

Get my parents to update their will

My one failed goal from 2016. My folks are in great shape, thank goodness. Nevertheless, they are approaching 60. They have not updated their wills since before my brother--a sophomore in college (!)--was born. The goal for this area is to get my parents to update their will.

Don't apply for any credit cards until July at the earliest
I've posted a little bit about how my wife and I have aggressively applied for credit cards such that we will be taking a trip around Asia with nearly free first class airfare on some great airlines (ANA, Korean, Cathay Pacific) this summer. We stopped applying to credit cards on June 1st, 2016 in advance of applying for a mortgage later in the year. We got our mortgage and bought the house a couple weeks ago, so technically we're clear to start applying again. Nevertheless, I would like to wait til at least July so that we have a year between apps. Credit card issuers are tightening up rules on churners and we already still have a surplus of points, so waiting is no big deal.

Stretch goal: Don't apply for any credit cards in 2016. We'll see about this one. Depends on what offerings are out there.

Use the home gym!
We are in the process of building a gym in the basement of our new house. It's relatively inexpensive. Nevertheless, I don't want that money to go to waste. The goal for this area is to workout in the home gym at least 90 times in 2017. The stretch goal is to workout in the home gym at least 120 times in 2017.

Track home purchase expenses
Before we purchased our home, we set aside $60,000 for the down payment, furniture, and moving expenses. I have already been tracking every house-related purchase so far and plan to continue doing so in 2017. The stretch goal is to stay within that $60,000, which I think we'll be able to do fairly easily, but it's good to write it here to hold me to it.

Sell my co-op
My co-op is a pretty cheap place to live, so I'm under no immediate pressure to sell it. Nevertheless, the sooner it's sold, the better. There are some minor repairs to do before listing, but I would like to get it sold sometime before the end of the year. The stretch goals are to list it by the end of March and sell it by the end of June.

Make a plan for when we're going to have our first kid
My wife and I both turn 30 this year. We know we want kids, although it still hasn't been "the right time" (whatever that means) yet. Sometime this year, we need to have at least one serious conversation about when exactly we want to start trying for a family. The clock is ticking!

Fence the backyard
The new house has a great backyard, but it's only partially fenced in. This year I want to finish the fence so the dog has a nice place to play.

Expand the driveway to create a turning pad for the car
One of the biggest knocks on the new house is that the detached garage is not only very narrow, but also slightly offset from the driveway. The result is that backing out is difficult and I keep putting the front right tire in the landscaping when I back out. At some point this year, I want to rip out the area of the landscaping that's at risk and widen the paved area so that I can back out more easily.

Get an annual physical and go to the dentist
This is a goal for both my wife and me. Neither of us did either of these things in 2016. Gotta do better.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 3, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My big picture goals for the year are to increase family net worth to 220K and stick to a budget. We currently have about 180K between savings/roth/401 and are aiming to save ~24k, throw our ~10k tax return at it (we went from zero to maxed 401k after sitting on a lot of cash), and expecting 5-6k in gainz/dividends.

I recently moved from lovely public housing (which allowed me to save like a boss) to an actual house worth living in (which costs twice as much but allows me to actually like where I am). Between that and an imminent babby expenses will go up, but I want to keep spending under control and know where my money is going.

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle.

Non-financial goal is to regularly work out to get (back) in shape, also to maintain some semblance of work/life balance.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 30, 2016

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years. Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November).

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease.

Put myself into position to be completely debt free at some point in 2018.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

My 2017 goal is to become debt-free by paying off $17,129.33 in debt.
(Stretch goal- do this by my birthday, August 20).
(Stretch goal #2- also max out my Roth IRA).

$3,539.21 in student loan remains.
$13,590.12 in credit card debt remains.

Do not rack up any new debt (besides unavoidable interest charges on the above).

Other personal goals:

Lose 20 lbs (so I'd weigh 170)

Decrease restaurant/bar/alcohol expenses by 30% from 2016. Just ran the numbers for 2016 and holy poo poo. I spent $5,007.99 on restaurants and bars and alcohol. That's $417.33 a month. Every month. Jesus Christ.

30% decrease would be $3,505.59, or $292.13 per month. That's a non-negotiable for me. Has to happen. Stretch goal here is to spend less than $2,500 in both categories combined.

Referee fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 1, 2017

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Alright dudes, it's January 1! Let's kick this year's rear end.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

spinst posted:

Alright dudes, it's January 1! Let's kick this year's rear end.

One day closer to being out of debt :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IllegallySober posted:

Decrease restaurant/bar/alcohol expenses by 30% from 2016. Just ran the numbers for 2016 and holy poo poo. I spent $5,007.99 on restaurants and bars and alcohol. That's $417.33 a month. Every month. Jesus Christ.

30% decrease would be $3,505.59, or $292.13 per month. That's a non-negotiable for me. Has to happen. Stretch goal here is to spend less than $2,500 in both categories combined.

$8900 for me last year (probably a bit higher as I have a few days to reconcile). Having a GF is expensive.

• Locked thread