Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010

spinst posted:

Alright dudes, it's January 1! Let's kick this year's rear end.

Waiting to close the the 2016 budget was more exciting to me that Christmas this year. The good and bad news is that my spending reductions for 2016 put me exactly where I wanted to be in 2014 for the plan I made in 2012. So we're moving a little slower than I planned, but still improving. It's more remarkable that we managed to do this while we were mostly asleep at the wheel, financially, for last 5 months of the year.

My big goals for 2017 are:
0) Wake up and get back on the budget wagon.
1) Reduce budget further by about 8-10%
2) actually use the budget part of YNAB, instead of just eyeballing it from the spending reports
3) home garden (This project includes at least 50' of concrete retaining wall.)
4) Finally consolidate my various retirement accounts.

Stretch goals
1) professional certification I've been putting off
2) Rental property? I need to run the numbers and see if I'm better off using pre-tax or post-tax money for this - I assume pre-tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I lurked this thread last year and it inspired me to create some written goals and report back this year!

Current savings:
- $10k liquid emergency fund
- $15k in liquid savings
- $5k in HSA w/ 5% employer match
- $9k in 401k w/ 6% employer match plus 3% "gift" from employer
- $28K in vanguard IRA
- No Roth IRA
Total Savings: $67K

Current debts:
- $9K in CC Debt @ 10%
- $26K Auto Loan @ 1.4%
- $28K Student Loans @ 5%
Total Debt: $63K

Net worth: $4k
Overall Income: 150K/yr + 30K/yr bonus

Q1 - Update at end of March
- (Q1) Acquire full bonus of 30K
- (Q1) Acquire tuition reimbursement from employer of 5K
- (Q1) Use bonus or reduced spending to pay off CC debt totally
- (Q1) Fund 401K @ 6% to get employer match
- (Q1) Fund HSA @ 5% to receive employer contribution
- (Q1) Reduce spending using budget caps, working with GF, and lifestyle alteration/reduction to free up 10% of income for other goals
- (Q1) Extend current spending planning from 1 month in advance to 2 months
- (Q1) Reach at net worth of $10K
- (Q1) Create a gift plan and budget so I don't go crazy on family gifts this year
- (Q1) Update my existing budget with caps on spending problem areas, enlist help of GF

Q2 - Update at end of June
- (Q2) Reduce spending using budget caps, working with GF, and lifestyle alteration/reduction to free up 25% of income for other goals
- (Q2) Extend current spending planning from 2 months to 4 months
- (Q2) Reach a net worth of $20K

Q3 - Update at end of September
- (Q3) Acquire tuition reimbursement from employer of 5-10K
- (Q3) Use remainder of bonus and reduced spending to pay off student loans
- (Q3) Fully fund 401K
- (Q3) Fully fund HSA
- (Q3) Create & Fully Fund Roth IRA
- (Q3) Reach a net worth of $30K
- (Q3) Help the GF find a paying job now that grad school is done to reduce household expenses

Q4 - Update at end of year
- (Q4) Extend current spending planning from 4 months to 6 months
- (Q4) Reach a net worth of 40K

Stretches
- Stretch: (Q4) Pay off Auto Loan
- Stretch: (Q2) Find a side gig
- Stretch: (Q4) If all debts paid, move completely off of CCs to become fully debt free
- Stretch: (Q4) Reach a net worth of 50K

This is my first time trying something like this - I maintain a full budget in YNAB and track it religiously. I have been crawling out of heavy debt from a year of unemployment several years ago that had me do heavy debt spending. I also have a separate, more detailed plan of how I want to achieve these goals.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Current Figures:
Retirement Funds: $114k
House Equity: $41k
Non-Mortgage Debt: $0
Net Worth: $155k

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 210k. (This seems insane, but this is just what my spreadsheet tells me should happen. Depends on 10% stock market gain).
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
3. Start brewing beer again, allowing for cheap fun with friends
4. Maybe buy one more bike @ -$1000~ and sell two others (+$400). Ideally this will be my only non-regular purchase aside from gifts and some home reno supplies...nothing major, hopefully.
5. Gain 10 pounds. Currently 142.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 26, 2017

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
2017 Goals:
* Save $14,000 in cash
* Invest $1,000 in Vanguard ETFs
* Continue alcohol sobriety
* Quit smoking
* Stretch - Finalize piecework contract with company I've been working with to begin side gig.

e: added some gray area financial goals since others are.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mad Wack posted:

I lurked this thread last year and it inspired me to create some written goals and report back this year!

Current savings:
- $10k liquid emergency fund
- $15k in liquid savings
- $5k in HSA w/ 5% employer match
- $9k in 401k w/ 6% employer match plus 3% "gift" from employer
- $28K in vanguard IRA
- No Roth IRA
Total Savings: $67K

Current debts:
- $9K in CC Debt @ 10%
- $26K Auto Loan @ 1.4%
- $28K Student Loans @ 5%
Total Debt: $63K

I like the rest of your plan but if you have both a $10K emergency fund, and a $15K savings account, I don't understand why you wouldn't just pay off the $9K in CC debt @10% interest right now. That would still leave you $16K in liquid emergency/savings funds.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spwrozek posted:

$8900 for me last year (probably a bit higher as I have a few days to reconcile). Having a GF is expensive.

As long as we're doing this whole self-shaming thing:

This year, we're aiming for (inclusive of literally all food, alcohol, groceries, etc) about half of that total covering everything. Absolutely utterly shameful, and my wife and I had the gall to wonder how we gained so much weight last year. The only saving grace on it is that "fast food" actually means "company cafeteria, which is so damned great it's basically a restaurant." Still, it doesn't change the fact that we spent a ludicrous amount of money on unnecessary calories.

New year, new fixes. gently caress 2016 and the gluttonous fatass me that went with it. :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

IllegallySober posted:

I like the rest of your plan but if you have both a $10K emergency fund, and a $15K savings account, I don't understand why you wouldn't just pay off the $9K in CC debt @10% interest right now. That would still leave you $16K in liquid emergency/savings funds.

Yeah I am probably going to end up doing that - was holding until the bonus came through in March but I feel pretty good about releasing that money now.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
There's a fine, fine line between self shaming and humble bragging.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

This year, we're aiming for (inclusive of literally all food, alcohol, groceries, etc) about half of that total covering everything. Absolutely utterly shameful, and my wife and I had the gall to wonder how we gained so much weight last year. The only saving grace on it is that "fast food" actually means "company cafeteria, which is so damned great it's basically a restaurant." Still, it doesn't change the fact that we spent a ludicrous amount of money on unnecessary calories.

New year, new fixes. gently caress 2016 and the gluttonous fatass me that went with it. :)

At least we all know versus blindly running out of money and being dumbfounded. I doubt I will spend much less this year but the goal is $6900.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spwrozek posted:

At least we all know versus blindly running out of money and being dumbfounded. I doubt I will spend much less this year but the goal is $6900.

Tell me about it. :( "Why do I never seem to have extra money?" Because I loving EAT IT.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
WOW! And here I was feeling self conscious of my food spending when the universal suggestion from BFC and r/personalfinance seems to always be $300/mo and I was working hard to keep mine under $500.

2017 Goals!
- Keep recording my expenses (spreadsheet is created and formula-ed)
- Keep to the budget I've laid out (last year's budget has been realistically adjusted for this year)
- Max his & hers IRAs (auto-transaction is set up)
- More than double my monthly contribution to brokerage (auto-transaction is set up)

Stretch goal: Convince my boss to get a 401(k) plan for the company even if they don't do any matching. It's been a while since I looked into it but it appeared to be really affordable for such a small company; <$1000/yr

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

WOW! And here I was feeling self conscious of my food spending when the universal suggestion from BFC and r/personalfinance seems to always be $300/mo and I was working hard to keep mine under $500.

Remember that this is all food (eating in and out) and alcohol. This includes food and drinks on vacation for me as well. I used to split it out but it was kind of a hassle so I stopped. Still not great. But at the same time I am saving ~$37K per year so I don't know. I still want to enjoy life.

Also I don't know if it is just me or the fact that I have been supporting the GF through a job change a bit but food prices really have seemed to go up a bunch. I basically only buy cheese, produce, noddles, and eggs but it just seems like everything is ticking up 10 cents here and there. I am not even going organic or anything.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Sundae posted:

Holy cow. That's the total for both of you though? I spent about $6721 for myself on everything food-related. That includes *everything* purchased at the grocery store, mind you. I don't separate out toilet paper and other nonsense. Maybe that stuff would total $500 for the year? Soaps, bags, toilet paper / paper towel...

I seriously can see how things can easily get out of control. I mean, I hardly ever eat out ($500 on the year total, I think), and I still rack up that much of a bill for food. I eat a lot though.

I can't imagine what a yuppie DINK couple who eats out for every second meal and has a latte habit spends on food. Could easily top $25-30k

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 5, 2017

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

All this food chat is making me hungry but also curious. Looks like the wife, baby and I spend just shy of $8,000 last year.

I mostly blame the baby.

So for my first humble brag of the year (and a little advice seeking), I didn't realize my employer did their entire Health Savings Account contribution on the 1st of the year so I'm starting off with an unexpected $500. This is our first year using the HSA so that's all that's in the account so far. We have automatic contributions setup to max out the account by the end of the year.

We have $500 saved for medical expenses that I had initially intended to deposit into the HSA to help front load our own contributions. However, I'm now thinking that maybe that would be better used to pay down debt. In this case it would go towards the $3k balance on the credit card. We could also throw it at our measly emergency fund that's sitting at an $800 balance.

So what say you goon hive mind? $500 in unallocated savings: Front load HSA, pay down CC, emergency fund contribution or hookers and blow?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

TouchyMcFeely posted:

All this food chat is making me hungry but also curious. Looks like the wife, baby and I spend just shy of $8,000 last year.

I mostly blame the baby.

So for my first humble brag of the year (and a little advice seeking), I didn't realize my employer did their entire Health Savings Account contribution on the 1st of the year so I'm starting off with an unexpected $500. This is our first year using the HSA so that's all that's in the account so far. We have automatic contributions setup to max out the account by the end of the year.

We have $500 saved for medical expenses that I had initially intended to deposit into the HSA to help front load our own contributions. However, I'm now thinking that maybe that would be better used to pay down debt. In this case it would go towards the $3k balance on the credit card. We could also throw it at our measly emergency fund that's sitting at an $800 balance.

So what say you goon hive mind? $500 in unallocated savings: Front load HSA, pay down CC, emergency fund contribution or hookers and blow?

I think you'll end up better by saving it externally for now. Contributing through payroll is pre federal income as well as FICA. Direct contributions are only later deducted from income. So, it's like a 7% difference.

If you had expenses early you could pay it out of pocket and reimburse yourself later once payroll contributions catch up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I was also curious, I found ~$9400 worth of groceries / restaurant spending for a family of 4 (two younger kids). Sometimes if we go out with friends (infrequently) I categorize that differently, so that and all alcohol bought would probably put us around $10.5k maybe for the year. Not too bad.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I'd stick it in emergency fund, you can always put it in your HSA afterwards if you need to, you should get some sort of tax form at the end of the year if you're putting in post-tax money to your HSA.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

spwrozek posted:

Remember that this is all food (eating in and out) and alcohol. This includes food and drinks on vacation for me as well. I used to split it out but it was kind of a hassle so I stopped. Still not great. But at the same time I am saving ~$37K per year so I don't know. I still want to enjoy life.

It is interesting to see where people draw their categorization lines for ambiguous purchases: Dinner and drinks on vacation? For you: food category; for me: vacation category. I also put toiletries and cleaning supplies purchased at the grocery store under "groceries" because that would be annoying to break receipts up each time. I hope I didn't imply negativity toward any posters with bigger food spending, it was intended neutral and personally eye-opening. Maybe the $300/mo figure is mostly for people trying to get out of a hole, and since I am not in a hole I think I'll bump up our restaurants/bars/groceries budget category to $600/mo in this year's budget. Husband has been a good sport about my cooking attempts, but he'll be thrilled about the restaurant wiggle room.

Folly
May 26, 2010
I thought shaming ourselves and each other was what BFC was for? That and charts, like this: https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/CostofFoodNov2016.pdf

Cheap cooking is practically a lost cultural skill in the USA. Most people can cut a ton out their food budget without even realizing it. Simple recipes and techniques using the most basic ingredients can make some of the very best food for very little cost. It really should have it's own thread.

PS. SNAP benefits are calculated by what percentage of your income it would take to reach the Thrifty plan. (Thrifty plan - 0.3 * <your income> = your benefit)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There is this: Goons With Chickencheese › Help! I'm poor and want to make good food!

Folly
May 26, 2010

Ooh, lot of good info in that thread. It could use some structure, though. But I guess that's expected. Every culture in the world has a history of sustenance cooking, so there is literally thousands of ways to do it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm a little late to the party, as I just got back from one of the weirder economies I've experienced. Where a great dinner for two can be under $10 while a 750 square foot not-luxury condo nearby can be $1.4 million. Shanghai

2016 was pretty successful for me, goal-wise. Cleared a lot of debt and built a positive net-worth. But I quit my job! The full-time one, at least. I need to finish the CPA exam, and 60 hour weeks were not helping. I don't have many monetary goals because my income will only be around $1,200 a month after taxes.

Monetary goals:

1. Pay off $3,000 credit card debt by June when it loses the 0% into APR

2. Keep around $6,000 to pay cash for first grad school semester in the summer or (probably) fall

3. Limit dining out, including fast food/prepared meals, to one meal a week max, with all the extra time I'll have to plan meals.

Non-monetary:

1. Pass the CPA exam.

2. Pass the CPA exam.

3. Lose some weight. Same old story- long hours sitting at a desk, getting fat. I know I just mentioned fast food, but it's more the lack of exercise what I've been eating.

4. Get a new job once I finish all or most of the CPA exam

5. Improve my mandarin. That was a poor showing around my girlfriend's family. 马马虎虎 :downs:

6. Work on career skill development. LinkedIn/networking thread, salary negotiation thread, Toastmasters, etc

Stretch goals: On the off chance I get a new full-time job and can spare money for retirement, I'll contribute to 401k for the match, or my IRA. We'll see!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

It is interesting to see where people draw their categorization lines for ambiguous purchases: Dinner and drinks on vacation? For you: food category; for me: vacation category. I also put toiletries and cleaning supplies purchased at the grocery store under "groceries" because that would be annoying to break receipts up each time. I hope I didn't imply negativity toward any posters with bigger food spending, it was intended neutral and personally eye-opening. Maybe the $300/mo figure is mostly for people trying to get out of a hole, and since I am not in a hole I think I'll bump up our restaurants/bars/groceries budget category to $600/mo in this year's budget. Husband has been a good sport about my cooking attempts, but he'll be thrilled about the restaurant wiggle room.

You are all good, I didn't think you were being negative at all. I did the same as you though when I was digging out of the student loan debt. Now that I am debt free and saving a ton I am more willing to open it up a bit.

I mean let's be honest no matter how good you are of a cook there is just something nice about getting good food from a restaurant. The biggest cost savings I think are not going out for lunch. you can do good lunches for under $5 from home (leftovers even cheaper) and lunch out just really burns a who in the wallet.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Goals for 2017:
- Max out IRAs
- Max out i401ks
- Get tax poo poo together on time this year for business
- Apply for new health care with subsidies before Trump poo poo hits the fan
- Track spending and passive income to get a clearer picture of what we should be budgeting for to spend down less than $30k of our savings annually after this year
- Paint the outside of our house ourselves to get it done cheaply (the last major project for our house)
- Start a blog for fun/profit/keeping my writing skills sharp. One post per month at least.
- Write one novel (only one!) by Christmas time for my MIL
- Get involved in the homeschooling community to see what it's like and to build my social network out.
- Invite more people over to our house for dinner/potlucks.

I'm basically a stay at home mom now, and it's weird to not have a ton of stuff going on, but babies take a lot of work!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm quitting my job that I've outgrown for a GWL 6 month travel opportunity.

2017 Goals
* Return to Colorado after travelling and find a good and affordable shared house to live in
* Get new IT job paying at least 65K + benefits that is interesting and challenging with room to grow
* Get back into rock climbing after 6+ months off, return to old level of skill by years end for future growth in 2018

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 6, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Current Figures:
Retirement Funds: $114k
House Equity: $41k
Non-Mortgage Debt: $0
Net Worth: $155k

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 210k. (This seems insane, but this is just what my spreadsheet tells me should happen. Depends on 10% stock market gain).
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
3. Start brewing beer again, allowing for cheap fun with friends
4. Maybe buy one more bike @ -$1000~ and sell two others (+$400). Ideally this will be my only non-regular purchase aside from gifts and some home reno supplies...nothing major, hopefully.
5. Gain 10 pounds.

How the gently caress are you and I the same age but you have 50x the retirement savings :negative: Tell me your secrets

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

How the gently caress are you and I the same age but you have 50x the retirement savings :negative: Tell me your secrets

Haha. Well, I pretty much have no life by traditional standards. I spend money on cycling and my dog, and that's about it.

I have three roommates, which leaves me paying only about $100 for housing. Factoring in the principal payment and I'm a net positive on housing. Most people can't handle roommates, but my situation is actually pretty sweet. I've had 6 different roommates (one mainstay - childhood friend) over the past few years, and all have been very chill. I also have my own decently-sized room that is two floors away from the other three bedrooms, with en-suite bath.

Aside from killing it on housing, I sold my car two years ago in favour of biking and eBiking. And finally I meal-prep, so I never eat out except for social occasions. My upright freezer probably has about 25 meals in it right now ready to go.

Most people could in no way handle my lifestyle. But it's not that hard for me. Since you mentioned it, looking at that number is pretty shocking even to me. It seems like the number grew huge all of a sudden, but it's been about three years since I sunk all of my money into my house purchase and then started saving.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Keep up the good work and you're going to hit FI in no time.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Hi everyone, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

My goals for 2016 were way more aggressive than my 2017 goals. I wanted to save a butt ton, and came reasonably close through a combination of 401k contributions and investing through my Vanguard account. But my priorities shifted midway through the year and I ended up wanting to beef up my emergency cash reserves, so I started dumping most of my non-retirement savings into an Ally savings account. I essentially hit my numbers goal but not my new mid-year cash savings goal.

2017 financial goals:
* Max out my 401k.
* Contribute to savings until my net worth is 9% cash (currently 6.4%).
* Hit the 9% cash goal by mid-year, then switch back to buying Vanguard funds.
* Chill out on saving a little. I was too aggressive in 2016 and my hobbies and interests languished as a result.

2017 life goals:
* Learn some hard piano pieces.
* Write some music and learn music theory. I just turned 30 loving 1 and I've been interested in it for too long and I'm not getting any younger dammit
* Exercise, eat better, stick to a mostly vegetarian diet for a year

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Haha. Well, I pretty much have no life by traditional standards. I spend money on cycling and my dog, and that's about it.

I have three roommates, which leaves me paying only about $100 for housing. Factoring in the principal payment and I'm a net positive on housing. Most people can't handle roommates, but my situation is actually pretty sweet. I've had 6 different roommates (one mainstay - childhood friend) over the past few years, and all have been very chill. I also have my own decently-sized room that is two floors away from the other three bedrooms, with en-suite bath.

Aside from killing it on housing, I sold my car two years ago in favour of biking and eBiking. And finally I meal-prep, so I never eat out except for social occasions. My upright freezer probably has about 25 meals in it right now ready to go.

Most people could in no way handle my lifestyle. But it's not that hard for me. Since you mentioned it, looking at that number is pretty shocking even to me. It seems like the number grew huge all of a sudden, but it's been about three years since I sunk all of my money into my house purchase and then started saving.

$100/mo for housing is nuts, do you live in the Yukon or something? I also haven't had a roommate since my sophomore year of college that isn't my wife because I'm an rear end in a top hat. I'd definitely meal prep if I could though, I love to make a big slow cooker's worth of stuff and pick away at it over a week but my wife hates eating the same thing too many days in a row. Maybe if she complains enough I will start asking her to pitch in more on our grocery bills each month :v:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

$100/mo for housing is nuts, do you live in the Yukon or something? I also haven't had a roommate since my sophomore year of college that isn't my wife because I'm an rear end in a top hat. I'd definitely meal prep if I could though, I love to make a big slow cooker's worth of stuff and pick away at it over a week but my wife hates eating the same thing too many days in a row. Maybe if she complains enough I will start asking her to pitch in more on our grocery bills each month :v:

Ironically housing in the North can be very expensive! My sister lives in the Northwest Territories and it's quite pricey.

I'm in Halifax. It's amazing what I can charge per-room here. I live next to a community college, so I've mostly been renting to students, and they're willing to pay a nice premium to live <10 minute walk from school. So with three roommates, my mortgage, taxes, condo fees (townhouse), electricity, Internet and insurance are all covered except about $100. Subtract the principal payment and I'm in the money about $500 on housing.

As for meal-prepping, my trick is to have a huge stock on-hand in my freezer. Right now I have an assortment of pasta (sausage & chicken, differing noodle types), stir fry (beef & chicken with differing sauces and rice-types), lasagna, chickpea curry, left-over pizza, fajitas...I think that's it. I also keep cooked/chopped frozen chicken in the freezer so it's easy to throw together a delicious wrap. I also only freeze the chicken/peppers/onion/sauce portion of the fajitas. Fresh avocado, pita wrap, lettuce and salsa goes with!

This primarily works because I have a huge upright freezer. It's awesome! Most meal-preppers do eat the same thing all the time, but I can't handle that. I'd rather pay for the freezer space to have some variety. So, tell her to buy you an upright freezer is the real answer here! :v:

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 7, 2017

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
Doing poo poo for myself:

-Grow and maintain emergency fund at $15K. Nearly there ($13.5K).
-Automatic deposit into separate savings account for semiannual expenses like home/car repair, vet bills, etc. $150/mo.
-Save up $1.7K in cash for a ring (should complete by next month).
-Put $3K in Roth IRA (already 2/3 there).
-Grow side business to minimum 1/3 of my net annual income. Pay business expenses entirely from the business itself and not my personal funds.
-Save up $1K for Dragon Con and a couple other trips. When I've saved up for my ring, I can divert some of those savings here, I guess.

I originally planned to quit my day job and work full time on my own business, but I don't think that's feasible now, and tbh I'm reluctant to give up a steady income and benefits in the forthcoming Age of Darkness.

Doing poo poo for others:

-$100/mo. for my niece's college fund.
-$30/mo. for a friend's phone bill until she's back on her feet.
-$50/mo. for charity bc poo poo I care about is in trouble now.
-Go to my sister's wedding and be a bridesmaid :woop:

I'm not good at tracking my spending down to the last penny, and honestly I'm not gonna try this year. I know what I spend on average in a month, and I almost always come in under budget. My day-to-day life is pretty spartan so I don't spend a lot of money.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I bought a house and had one roommate for a couple years; the cash flow was negative but I turned a small profit after collecting mortgage equity and filing my taxes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been holding off on posting 2017 goals because I work in an energy research job for the government so it remains to be seen if I'll still have a job in a month or two :roflolmao:

But I think I'm just going to be optimistic and post them assuming I'm going to have a job. And if I don't then I'll update the goals accordingly.

~*~my 2017 goals~*~
1. Max Roth IRA
2. Increase cash emergency fund from 3 to 6 months living expenses at current living expenses rate (meaning i could stretch it out more than that if I was in trouble and cooled my spending)
3. Put 1/3 1/4 of salary towards retirement savings by end of year (stretch goal 1/3)
4. Get better details of wife's finances and figure out a plan for her / combined plan for us
5. Teach a class adjunctishly
6. Get new windows installed in house

e: revised #3 slightly because i thought it was too ambitious

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I skipped last years goals due to things being too hosed and unpredictable with the infamous retaining wall of doom that I needed to have built. All the payments and debt relating to that were wiped out in December so it's a good time to get back on track.

My focus is back on my pitiful retirement savings: total retirement savings $36k

Retirement savings goal for EoY: $86k

Side goal: refinance the other half of my mortgage from 27 years to 15 years remaining.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
2017 Goals:

Pre Tax 401K: $18,000 in contributions, with a $9,000 match
After Tax 401K: $26,000 in contributions.
HSA: $3,400 in contributions

Investments and Savings: $50,000 in contributions into investment/housing fund.
Total Savings (retirement/nonretirement): $1,000,000 in total by EOY
Other: Avoid tax penalties for not enough withholding due to AMT/Obamacare again this year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Personal Capital says we just passed the quarter mil mark for net worth.

1. Net worth 250k -> 300k, a smaller targeted jump from last year since we moved to Germany which meant I took a salary cut and also we're planning on lots of travel with my new 6 (!) weeks of vacation.
2. Establish some kind of budget and review process, anything dear god we are horrible at this
3. Establish a pattern for date nights that's not super expensive.
4. Visit at least a few other countries in Europe.
5. Become very swole, or at least as much as my skinny genes allow.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

3. Establish a pattern for date nights that's not super expensive.
4. Visit at least a few other countries in Europe.
5. Become very swole, or at least as much as my skinny genes allow.

Take up rock climbing together. I'm not even joking, I just recently did this with my wife.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do the math to figure out if it's more cost effective for him to go back to work lose Medicaid and have to go on my health insurance, or stick with just his disability check and leave him on Medicaid. He wants to work, but he's on two meds that don't have a generic.... So it's a giant mess of math to figure out how much he'd have to make to break even with increased premiums and copays.

So, did the math, he'd have to make 600 a week to break even with the health insurance offered through my job. Which would mean he'd have to go back to construction...which is great money, but how he wound up on disability in the first place. He could clear that easy, but I don't think it's worth it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Decrease restaurant/bar/alcohol expenses by 30% from 2016. Just ran the numbers for 2016 and holy poo poo. I spent $5,007.99 on restaurants and bars and alcohol. That's $417.33 a month. Every month. Jesus Christ.

30% decrease would be $3,505.59, or $292.13 per month. That's a non-negotiable for me. Has to happen. Stretch goal here is to spend less than $2,500 in both categories combined.

Halfway through January and I'd be doing pretty good on this if it weren't for a $72 bar tab my dumb rear end decided to pick up when I only racked up about $15 of it. I'm way too nice sometimes.

Instead, I'm at $205.75 so far in January. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IllegallySober posted:

Halfway through January and I'd be doing pretty good on this if it weren't for a $72 bar tab my dumb rear end decided to pick up when I only racked up about $15 of it. I'm way too nice sometimes.

Instead, I'm at $205.75 so far in January. :sigh:

:hfive: I do this poo poo all the time. Pro friend con budget. Also part of my outrageousness last year.

• Locked thread