Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am struggling a little bit on what to have as goals for next year at this point. I have basically am in auto pilot on most of my list below. This generally makes me feel adrift a bit as I have been working so hard on knocking down all the goals the last 5 years. I could try to spend less of food or even save more but I just am not up for that. I will probably have to put in some workout goals or life goals outside of this list to motivate myself.

1) Max 401k
2) Max Roth IRA
3) Max HSA
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxable account
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement

One thing I need to look into is if I could get my mom to open an IRA and I contribute to that since she is working. Not sure the legality of it but it would be nice to be tax advantaged with that money. E: Looks like this is doable and it looks like based on my mom's income (need to verify) a TIRA will be deductible for her but this might be the best approach. I am doubtful she is contributing anything to an IRA currently.

I will keep pondering this stuff over the next few weeks but I am also open to suggestions.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IllegallySober posted:

Decrease restaurant/bar/alcohol expenses by 30% from 2016. Just ran the numbers for 2016 and holy poo poo. I spent $5,007.99 on restaurants and bars and alcohol. That's $417.33 a month. Every month. Jesus Christ.

30% decrease would be $3,505.59, or $292.13 per month. That's a non-negotiable for me. Has to happen. Stretch goal here is to spend less than $2,500 in both categories combined.

$8900 for me last year (probably a bit higher as I have a few days to reconcile). Having a GF is expensive.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

As long as we're doing this whole self-shaming thing:

This year, we're aiming for (inclusive of literally all food, alcohol, groceries, etc) about half of that total covering everything. Absolutely utterly shameful, and my wife and I had the gall to wonder how we gained so much weight last year. The only saving grace on it is that "fast food" actually means "company cafeteria, which is so damned great it's basically a restaurant." Still, it doesn't change the fact that we spent a ludicrous amount of money on unnecessary calories.

New year, new fixes. gently caress 2016 and the gluttonous fatass me that went with it. :)

At least we all know versus blindly running out of money and being dumbfounded. I doubt I will spend much less this year but the goal is $6900.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

WOW! And here I was feeling self conscious of my food spending when the universal suggestion from BFC and r/personalfinance seems to always be $300/mo and I was working hard to keep mine under $500.

Remember that this is all food (eating in and out) and alcohol. This includes food and drinks on vacation for me as well. I used to split it out but it was kind of a hassle so I stopped. Still not great. But at the same time I am saving ~$37K per year so I don't know. I still want to enjoy life.

Also I don't know if it is just me or the fact that I have been supporting the GF through a job change a bit but food prices really have seemed to go up a bunch. I basically only buy cheese, produce, noddles, and eggs but it just seems like everything is ticking up 10 cents here and there. I am not even going organic or anything.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

It is interesting to see where people draw their categorization lines for ambiguous purchases: Dinner and drinks on vacation? For you: food category; for me: vacation category. I also put toiletries and cleaning supplies purchased at the grocery store under "groceries" because that would be annoying to break receipts up each time. I hope I didn't imply negativity toward any posters with bigger food spending, it was intended neutral and personally eye-opening. Maybe the $300/mo figure is mostly for people trying to get out of a hole, and since I am not in a hole I think I'll bump up our restaurants/bars/groceries budget category to $600/mo in this year's budget. Husband has been a good sport about my cooking attempts, but he'll be thrilled about the restaurant wiggle room.

You are all good, I didn't think you were being negative at all. I did the same as you though when I was digging out of the student loan debt. Now that I am debt free and saving a ton I am more willing to open it up a bit.

I mean let's be honest no matter how good you are of a cook there is just something nice about getting good food from a restaurant. The biggest cost savings I think are not going out for lunch. you can do good lunches for under $5 from home (leftovers even cheaper) and lunch out just really burns a who in the wallet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IllegallySober posted:

Halfway through January and I'd be doing pretty good on this if it weren't for a $72 bar tab my dumb rear end decided to pick up when I only racked up about $15 of it. I'm way too nice sometimes.

Instead, I'm at $205.75 so far in January. :sigh:

:hfive: I do this poo poo all the time. Pro friend con budget. Also part of my outrageousness last year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

3 - Exercise Goal: ACCEPTABLE FAILURE / DELAY. I'm currently being evaluated for a potential aneurysm, and I've been told I can't exercise at all until the hospital has sorted out wtf is happening. By mid-Feb, I expect to have clarity on this.

Dang, I hope you are OK!

Also monthly updates? What happened to quarterly.... :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Doesn't PMI stay on FHA loans the entire time though? I guess you could refinance but rates are really low now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Thanks Obama Trump!

The change was in June of 2013.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Still on auto pilot at the moment. I guess the only thing really going for me is I am reading the Four Pillars of Investing. Update below.

spwrozek posted:

I am struggling a little bit on what to have as goals for next year at this point. I have basically am in auto pilot on most of my list below. This generally makes me feel adrift a bit as I have been working so hard on knocking down all the goals the last 5 years. I could try to spend less of food or even save more but I just am not up for that. I will probably have to put in some workout goals or life goals outside of this list to motivate myself.

1) Max 401k - On track, $6200 contributed
2) Max Roth IRA - On Track, $1800 contributed
3) Max HSA - On Track, $680 contributed
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement - On track
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement - On track
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxableIRA account - Haven't got this done yet, 15 days left....
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement - Done

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Max 401k
2) Max Roth IRA
3) Max HSA
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxable account
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement

1) Will be maxed this coming quarter
2) On Hold, $2290 contributed but I am going to be over the limit but not sure by how much. I should be somewhere in the phase out so I will contribute the rest or remove if needed come tax time.
3) On track
4) Mostly on track, I need to get my mom to fill out a form so I can continue to contribute directly.
5) Haven't been contributing. It is just sitting in my checking account. I am trying to figure out my various allocations.
6) Done but in a Roth IRA
7) Done

Also took a new job with a $14K raise and a bigger bonus potential.

Highlight of the quarter was my friends deciding to do a shot at a rockies game and them being drunk and I for some reason picking up a $60 tab.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Max 401k Done
2) Max Roth IRA Trying to figure out how much I can put in
3) Max HSA Done
4) $300/mo into Mom's Retirement Done
5) $500/mo into Taxable Retirement Done
6) Transfer Mom's Retirement money from Ally bank to Vanguard taxable account done but I need to do a bunch of paperwork to continue to contribute. Back to the savings account for now
7) Open Vanguard account for my Taxable Retirement Done

Net Worth $200,495 :whatup:

• Locked thread