Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Current Figures:
Retirement Funds: $114k
House Equity: $41k
Non-Mortgage Debt: $0
Net Worth: $155k

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 210k. (This seems insane, but this is just what my spreadsheet tells me should happen. Depends on 10% stock market gain).
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
3. Start brewing beer again, allowing for cheap fun with friends
4. Maybe buy one more bike @ -$1000~ and sell two others (+$400). Ideally this will be my only non-regular purchase aside from gifts and some home reno supplies...nothing major, hopefully.
5. Gain 10 pounds. Currently 142.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Sundae posted:

As long as we're doing this whole self-shaming thing:

This year, we're aiming for (inclusive of literally all food, alcohol, groceries, etc) about half of that total covering everything. Absolutely utterly shameful, and my wife and I had the gall to wonder how we gained so much weight last year. The only saving grace on it is that "fast food" actually means "company cafeteria, which is so damned great it's basically a restaurant." Still, it doesn't change the fact that we spent a ludicrous amount of money on unnecessary calories.

New year, new fixes. gently caress 2016 and the gluttonous fatass me that went with it. :)

Holy cow. That's the total for both of you though? I spent about $6721 for myself on everything food-related. That includes *everything* purchased at the grocery store, mind you. I don't separate out toilet paper and other nonsense. Maybe that stuff would total $500 for the year? Soaps, bags, toilet paper / paper towel...

I seriously can see how things can easily get out of control. I mean, I hardly ever eat out ($500 on the year total, I think), and I still rack up that much of a bill for food. I eat a lot though.

I can't imagine what a yuppie DINK couple who eats out for every second meal and has a latte habit spends on food. Could easily top $25-30k

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 5, 2017

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

How the gently caress are you and I the same age but you have 50x the retirement savings :negative: Tell me your secrets

Haha. Well, I pretty much have no life by traditional standards. I spend money on cycling and my dog, and that's about it.

I have three roommates, which leaves me paying only about $100 for housing. Factoring in the principal payment and I'm a net positive on housing. Most people can't handle roommates, but my situation is actually pretty sweet. I've had 6 different roommates (one mainstay - childhood friend) over the past few years, and all have been very chill. I also have my own decently-sized room that is two floors away from the other three bedrooms, with en-suite bath.

Aside from killing it on housing, I sold my car two years ago in favour of biking and eBiking. And finally I meal-prep, so I never eat out except for social occasions. My upright freezer probably has about 25 meals in it right now ready to go.

Most people could in no way handle my lifestyle. But it's not that hard for me. Since you mentioned it, looking at that number is pretty shocking even to me. It seems like the number grew huge all of a sudden, but it's been about three years since I sunk all of my money into my house purchase and then started saving.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

$100/mo for housing is nuts, do you live in the Yukon or something? I also haven't had a roommate since my sophomore year of college that isn't my wife because I'm an rear end in a top hat. I'd definitely meal prep if I could though, I love to make a big slow cooker's worth of stuff and pick away at it over a week but my wife hates eating the same thing too many days in a row. Maybe if she complains enough I will start asking her to pitch in more on our grocery bills each month :v:

Ironically housing in the North can be very expensive! My sister lives in the Northwest Territories and it's quite pricey.

I'm in Halifax. It's amazing what I can charge per-room here. I live next to a community college, so I've mostly been renting to students, and they're willing to pay a nice premium to live <10 minute walk from school. So with three roommates, my mortgage, taxes, condo fees (townhouse), electricity, Internet and insurance are all covered except about $100. Subtract the principal payment and I'm in the money about $500 on housing.

As for meal-prepping, my trick is to have a huge stock on-hand in my freezer. Right now I have an assortment of pasta (sausage & chicken, differing noodle types), stir fry (beef & chicken with differing sauces and rice-types), lasagna, chickpea curry, left-over pizza, fajitas...I think that's it. I also keep cooked/chopped frozen chicken in the freezer so it's easy to throw together a delicious wrap. I also only freeze the chicken/peppers/onion/sauce portion of the fajitas. Fresh avocado, pita wrap, lettuce and salsa goes with!

This primarily works because I have a huge upright freezer. It's awesome! Most meal-preppers do eat the same thing all the time, but I can't handle that. I'd rather pay for the freezer space to have some variety. So, tell her to buy you an upright freezer is the real answer here! :v:

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 7, 2017

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I'm updating on a "when I feel like it" schedule. Time for a random update!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Current Figures:

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 210k. (This seems insane, but this is just what my spreadsheet tells me should happen. Depends on 10% stock market gain).
The market has been roaring so far this year, so I'm apparently ahead of schedule on this. At 173k now.
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
Maxed TFSA. Waiting until year end to max RRSP.
Still being lazy on this one. I really need to get around to this...
4. Maybe buy one more bike @ -$1000~ and sell two others (+$400). Ideally this will be my only non-regular purchase aside from gifts and some home reno supplies...nothing major, hopefully.
I beat the bike thing! I don't need another bike after all, and I'll still be selling two of my current bikes. So I'll be down to 3, and one is really just a backup bike. Yay for being sorta normal.
I've spent some money on renos so far, but not a lot. Might spend another grand before the year is up, hard to say.

Already at 150. Not sure what % of the gain is muscle, but definitely some. A revised goal should be more like "gain 30 lbs" at the rate I'm going. Hopefully I can keep this up, bros. Chest day eva-ree-day.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 20, 2017

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Seems like a good time to update.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Current Figures:

2017 Goals:
At $186k now. Seem to be on track.
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
Maxed TFSA. Waiting until year end to max RRSP. Also starting throwing a bit of money at risky things like weed stocks and crypto currencies. YOLO.
Still being lazy on this one. Ugh...so lazy
Sold my other two bikes at fire sale price of $260 total. Glad to have them gone. But I did end up buying another battery for my eBike to increase range. Negative about a grand. Cheaper than a car though, and much more fun!
Still planning on spending a bit of money on renos too if I ever get around to it. Hopefully not much more than a couple grand. Fortunately I've put in some overtime this year that will pretty much pay for this extra spending I think. But I'm not too worried about it. I feel as though I'm on such a good path now, I'm being a bit more free with my money. It feels nice.

Gains have slowed since earlier in the year, but I think I'm up to around 155 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

It's been a while since my last update!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Current Figures:

2017 Goals:
Just finally crossed $200k! Might fall short of the $210k mark though.
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
Maxed TFSA. Waiting until year end to max RRSP. In my last update I mentioned I threw some money at crypto and weed stocks. Those are actually doing fairly well. Yay.
I am primed to start this up again once my renovation is done.
Have mostly kept bike and reno expenses under control, thankfully.
I gained 25 lbs, which was clearly not all muscle. I cut back down to 152 now. I figure I have indeed gained at least 10 pounds of muscle this year, maybe more. I'd like to lean down a bit more while still building muscle.

• Locked thread