Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I'm always late to the party.

2017 Goals:

* Already maxed out both of our 2017 Roth IRAs
* Save $35,000 by end of year for house down payment ($40,000 stretch goal)
* Get a raise at work (hopefully $10k)
* Decide on a place to move (Leaving California for a better COL environment and raise a family. Have already visited a few options)
* Get work to allow me to be 100% remote (transitioning from being at the office every day to 60% (3 days a week) starting in April. Plan is to keep my job for the move)
* Stretch Goal - Save for 2018 Roth IRA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Dustoph posted:

I'm always late to the party.

2017 Goals:

* Already maxed out both of our 2017 Roth IRAs
* Save $35,000 by end of year for house down payment ($40,000 stretch goal)
* Get a raise at work (hopefully $10k)
* Decide on a place to move (Leaving California for a better COL environment and raise a family. Have already visited a few options)
* Get work to allow me to be 100% remote (transitioning from being at the office every day to 60% (3 days a week) starting in April. Plan is to keep my job for the move)
* Stretch Goal - Save for 2018 Roth IRA

2017 turned out to be pretty interesting for me.

Took the in-laws offer to move in with them (who live 3 hours from us) for roughly 12-15 months to save some dough. That lasted roughly 3 months before we had to move out - who would have guessed haha. Moved back to our home city. As part of all of this, my wife was forced to turn down 2 job offers. One when we moved, and one when we moved back. I then got her pregnant during all of this, so she hasn't been back to work. Between the moves and that, it has been a huge blow to our income this year.

Now at year end, I have twin new borns and wife still isn't working. We don't have help close by and the numbers don't work out for her to go back to work and put the kids in childcare. Our current rental lease is up next summer and we will move then. Where? Still haven't figured it out. Could move near my mom who could help with child care, but the COL there is about 30% more. I already live somewhere that I think is way too expensive. So maybe we will move out of state and have my wife just stay at home for the time being since it would be easier to afford. The thought of zero help with the kids is daunting though but we will see how it goes over the next few months and I get back to work (still on paternity leave right now).

So in terms of my goals earlier this year:

- Save the $35k? Lol, no. I think we managed to save $5k. I did sell my sports car for $15k and that went into the house pot, but I didn't originally plan to do that.
- No raise yet. Boss did commit to trying to get it done within 3 years. I love my job so I'll give her the opportunity and leave in 3 years if I don't have it by then (more like 2.5 years now)
- Decide where to move - Narrowed it down a lot but still haven't made a decision. Got the Southwest credit card with their companion pass for buy one get one free plane ticket for an entire year, so will try to visit some places more soon.
- 100% work remotely - accomplished. This will make moving easy.
- Stretch goal - Nope!

At least I accomplished one thing, even though it didn't really have anything to do with money. More importantly I need to figure out the long term goals out now and get cracking on making it happen.

• Locked thread