Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Current Figures:
31/32 year old married couple. We've just started our real careers in the past 2-3 years, and got married last year. We're pretty high earners at this point, but our retirement/cash savings don't necessarily reflect that due to our careers starting late, and paying off ~$75k student loans over the last few years. Still, we're thankful and privileged to be in a good place financially.

Current monthly budgeted expenses: $2600-$3000, pending yearly budget reevaluation
Current emergency fund: $6.5k (plus another $10k or so cash on hand in various YNAB buckets)
No debt besides whatever credit card balance we PIF every month (thanks 2016!)
Current Net Worth: ~$76k, divided ~$60k in tax advantaged retirement accounts, ~$16k cash on hand
No real assets beyond retirement ($3k car in great shape and $1k car, which will be sold after winter. No house)

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (with one small exception) - That means no cars, unless ours gets totaled. It means no house (the exception being if we find something that's exactly what we want and are done or close enough to done saving our down payment)
2) Evaluate career change - I work Software QA, but have been gradually taking on some DevOps responsibilities. I'm going to take a week of vacation sometime in Q1 to brush up my coding skills and determine if I'd like to shift into DevOps/Dev full time
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Just have to actually do it.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - we could get our expenses down to $2k/month pretty easily in a job loss situation, so 12k is about 6 months of expenses. That plus our YNAB bucket balances should keep us afloat in all but the worst case scenarios
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - This would be the first year we've done that, and since we're considering early retirement, we really need to get on that
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - I'd love to max these, but I've stalled on buying a house as long as I can. The wife is itching to go (and truthfully, I am ready now too). Next year, maxing these is likely
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house - We're in a fairly low CoL area, $200k will get you a nice modestly sized house
8) Take a vacation - We're not extravagant spenders on vacations, but the wife has never been out of North America. We'd like to remedy that either this year or (more likely) next. Regardless, funding some sort of vacation this year is important
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - The savings rate is more important than the NW goal, since it's not dependent on the stock market's performance, but it's nice to have a single number goal too.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Really shouldn't be that hard, but that's what I said last year and here we are... I have some plans to make this easier this year, but that's out of scope of this thread.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Boring but good month. Just a lot of account opening/consolidating and getting the new budget set up. Sure is nice not to have to spend ~50% of our income paying student loans like last year. Keep it up everyone! Updates inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track
2) Evaluate career change - I work Software QA, but have been gradually taking on some DevOps responsibilities. I'm going to take a week of vacation sometime in Q1 to brush up my coding skills and determine if I'd like to shift into DevOps/Dev full time - Took the week last week. Still considering options, but enjoyed coding again.
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Just have to actually do it. - On track. Both other accounts have been linked to our main account, just need to move funds now.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Added $800/$5.5k. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - Opened a new account for the wife, added $1k, plus our monthly $458 each today. Technically these are 2016 contributions, but I'm counting this goal as $5500 for each of us this calendar year, NOT counting the initial $1k needed to open her account.
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house - Created a new savings account and made the first $3636 deposit yesterday.
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - $600/$3000 - We're thinking San Francisco this year, out of country next year, but still up in the air as of yet.
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Haven't done the math yet here, but I'm anticipating we're on track this month.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Lost 5 pounds in January. Ate like poo poo today. My eating is dumb. Back on the wagon!

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track, except for side gig, but I'm considering that a stretch goal

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 1, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

spwrozek posted:

The change was in June of 2013.

:thejoke:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Good month here. We almost failed our 1st goal, made substantial progress on our 2nd, completed our 3rd, and stayed on track for the rest. Updates inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track, but sort of on a technicality. We put an offer in on a house but were outbid. Because of this goal though, we bid asking only, despite knowing it was likely going higher.
2) Evaluate career change - Requested at least a part time DevOps transfer in my self-eval. Meeting with manager will take place in mid-March.
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Funds moved from both major accounts. Leaving the smallest account as is, for wife's divorce fund self-admittedly irrational emotional security reasons. Considering this done.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Added $1300/$5.5k. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $1832/$11000. On track.
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $7272/$40000. On track. Trying to do $3636 a month to finish with 12/1 paycheck. Adding as a stretch. $3333/mo puts us on track to finish with 1/1 paycheck.
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck - On track
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - $900/$3000. Might have to make a balloon payment here, depending on when we schedule our trip. We usually travel in Sept/Oct though, so it'll mostly be funded by then.
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - On track for both. At ~96k NW, which puts us ahead of schedule, but a lot of that is market gains. Savings rate is on track.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Lost 4.5 pounds in February for a total of 9.5 so far. On track, and I'm excited about that, but losing the weight is rarely my problem.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track. If I get this DevOps transfer, that's going to count as my side gig, as I have a bunch to learn there (but it should come with a bump in pay after training).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

March was an OK month, though I do feel like I'm losing some momentum, especially in the non-financial realm. The financial goals are largely on autopilot, as long as we stick to budget, and so far that has gone well. This month is bonus month, so I should make some progress here (though this company's bonuses are small and half in worthless private stock, so it won't be a huge boost). A business trip really hosed with my diet, but some of that was self-inflicted and should have been avoided. Still, hard to complain about a month where our net worth passed $100k for the first time ever. Updates inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - Outbid on another house. We've put in two conservative bids in the last two months in a hot market with this goal in mind. If we get the house, we've gotten a deal. More likely we don't and we keep saving.
2) Evaluate career change - Had my meeting. Manager was supportive in theory, but refused to commit to a schedule to move me, so I know that means he won't, at least for now. I've decided to stick around for the moment, because the DevOps team has taken it upon themselves to include and train me at least a little. I really like the work environment too. I am keeping my eyes open for a change still, but not actively seeking one.
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Added $1800/$5.5k. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $2751/$11000. On track.
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $10908/$40000. On track.
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - $1200/$3000. This will likely be where I put bonus funds, to shift the yearly budget cycle from a January 1st start, to a more realistic vacation date start.
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - On track for both. At ~102k NW. Savings rate is on track.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Had a business trip for a week which pretty much erased my month's progress. Silver lining is I didn't go up any, so I'm down 10 pounds from the beginning of the year still, but it is too early and I'm still too far from my goal to be losing momentum like this. I have another trip this weekend. I need to hold steady there. Then I will be able to restart losing when I'm back home and in my routine.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - Teaching myself Clojure and functional programming, which has been really interesting.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 12, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

April was good. I got a smallish bonus (as expected, this company doesn't give large ones). Used it to buy the wife a long needed computer upgrade (hers was about 8 years old and extremely loud under anything but the smallest load) and saved the rest in the travel fund. Also got back on track in the weight loss arena.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track. No house offers this month.
2) Evaluate career change - No progress on this.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Added $2300/$5.5k. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $3667/$11000. On track.
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $14553/$40000. On track.
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - $2700/$3000. Put an extra $1500 here to fill the category at a normal vacation time instead of the end of the year.
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - On track for both. At ~111k NW. Savings rate is on track, although the computer probably pushed this month's slightly under 60%.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Back on track! It wasn't always pretty, but I'm down another 5 pounds for 15 on the year total!

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - Still working on Clojure/functional programming, although work has gotten busy so I've made less progress than hoped.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

May was pretty decent. Bought plane tickets to Ecuador (this'll be my first time in a non-English speaking country, and my wife's first time outside of North America), nailed down some career goals, and kept the financial goals rolling. I didn't keep my weight loss momentum from last month, but still went down a bit.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track
2) Evaluate career change - Met with some people from my last company, that I really liked working for. They expressed interest in getting me back. I'm ready to go back, except I'd like to go back as a developer. I'm one step away (I currently write automated tests, with some operations and a little programming), so I'd like to use the summer to keep learning, and take advantage of my current company's excellent vacation policy, then switch back later in the year.
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $2800/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $4580/$11000. On track.
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $18180/$40000. On track.
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - $3000/$3000 - Made the last payment in there and scheduled a trip! Funds going forward funds are for next year's vacation (and various small things, like weekend camping)! Calling this goal done, even though the vacation in question isn't happening until August.
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - NW only went up about 3k this month, to roughly 114k. That is behind schedule for the month, but it is due to travel expenses all hitting at the same time. No abnormal/unbudgeted spending, and next month should bounce back to normal.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Only lost a pound or two, down to 16 lost on the year. Still on track, but not where I wanted to be this month.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - I'm very likely going to fail the stretch here. The energy I would put into that is being redirected to working out and learning programming. I've talked about early retirement, and the idea of going full remote and traveling for a few years sounds like a good bridge to that. It's way easier to find remote programming jobs than remote QA jobs, so I think working on that points in the same direction as what a side gig would.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

End of June update inline below. Reaching the halfway point of the year here, definitely feeling good about the progress we've made so far. All monetary goals are on schedule. Nearly all personal goals on schedule.

The only major speed bump (besides just maintaining discipline) to achieving everything would be an acceleration of the wife's goal for a career transition to something less manual labor intensive. The loose schedule was to reevaluate that after this year, but we may be moving that date forward. If we do, there will likely be a period of one income for an unknown amount of time. It wouldn't mean drawing down savings or anything of that sort, but the house goal would likely be delayed to early/mid next year.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track - Signed apartment lease, so the major debt possibility (house) is much less likely this year.
2) Evaluate career change - Current job has been increasing my responsibility, so that's nice, but I'm still leaning towards looking in September. We'll see what the next few months entail.
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $3200/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $5496/$11000. On track.
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $21816/$40000. On track.
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck - On track - this is going to get harder unless we get some incidental income. Doing the normal amount is fine, but hitting the full $3636/mo has been cutting it close with our budget the last few months.
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done! Saving towards next year's at this point
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Haven't done the final math yet here, but it's looking like NW will be ~$121k, which bounces back from last month nicely.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Tomorrow is official weigh in day, but it's looking like I have officially hit -20 pounds for the year! I'm pretty good at weight loss and less good at weight maintenance, so the challenge of this goal remains ahead of me. Still, feeling good.
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - Adding this stretch. This should be doable. Setting a final goal weight is hard for someone who has been at least a little overweight for my entire adult life, but I think this would be it/close to it. Excited to find out!

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

July update inline. 2 major things happened in the last couple of weeks, the first of which caused my late update here.

First, we completed goal 8, and took our vacation to Cuenca Ecuador. It was absolutely fantastic. A great BFC vacation. Pretty cheap (we went a little over budget, but it was due to helping out my cousins we were visiting), great adventures and sights. Cajas National Park, Turi overlook, and the Cuenca zoo were highlights. I've attached a picture of the city from the Zoo.

Secondly, I'm taking action on goal 2 - Evaluate career change. I have been contacted to take over for my old boss at my previous employer. I'm strongly considering it, both because I really like my previous employer, and because it would be a clear step forward in my career (the position would be the lead of a software QA department, with reports and such). The only hesitation is that for the last several months, I've been working towards becoming a developer, and have a possible opportunity in that direction, as well as another possible opportunity to interview for a Sr release management position. A good problem to have. Hopefully more updates to come next month!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
2) Evaluate career change - I'm actively exploring several opportunities, including a lead position in my current field (Software QA), or moving to a different field (software development or release management/devops)
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $3700/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $6412/$11000. On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $25452/$40000. On track
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - On track. At 127k this month
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Weight lost, still on track keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - Just got back from vacation, so regained a little, but still 2 lbs lost for the stretch goal

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 8, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

August update inline. Nothing too exciting, except I talked to the company who was looking at me for a QA lead position, and I told them of my developer ambitions. I have history with them, and they really liked me, so they're seriously considering taking me on. They've given me a take home project, since my dev portfolio is so slim. If this works out, it'd be really exciting!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
2) Evaluate career change - See above - Working on a take home project for a chance to get a developer job at a company I really enjoyed working for!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $4200/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $7328/$11000. On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $29088/$40000. On track
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - So close to the NW goal! $134k this month. Obviously the savings rate goal is more important (and less prone to stock market whims). Still trucking on the savings rate.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Weight lost, still on track keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - I got really sick, which sort of messed with this, but I also got sloppy with my eating. Gained 1 pound for a total of 21 lost this year, 1/10 lost for the stretch.

Misc goals

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

September update here and inline. It's a big one!

First off, in the last update, I was talking to an ex-employer about getting a developer job there (switching from QA, which would be the culmination of goal 2). They were encouraged by my work, but thought I was a bit too green for the position they had in mind (true!). However, they gave me a list of stuff to improve and told me to check back in, in a way that I really believe wasn't a brushoff. As such, I'm calling goal 2 complete. I will be working on skills, and a goal for early next year will be to change fields, hopefully with this company, but elsewhere if that doesn't work out.

Secondly, we bought a house! This means there will be big changes to goals 1, and 7. Our down payment was in order, and this is the exact scenario I was envisioning when I put the exception for goal 1 in, so I'm not calling it failed, and will just adjust the goal to be no car, no debt for house projects. I'm considering goal 7 done. We'll be using the saved money as a down payment, and some of the money going forward for house projects & furniture.

Third, we finally sold the car that constituted a (half) failed goal from 2016. I finally got off my rear end and did the repairs needed, and listed it. It sold, so we're back down to 1 car, as it should be.

Lastly, I'm in line for a raise and possible promotion at work. This isn't really goal related, but my boss is forgetful, so I'm putting this here to remind myself to remind him if this doesn't happen.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - Bought a house! See above for modifications to this goal
2) Evaluate career change - See above, will be learning in Q4 and applying in 2018. Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $4700/$5.5k added so far. On track. This will need to come up more with a house, but that's a 2018 goal!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $8244/$11000. On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Down payment used on a house! Done!
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - At $135k+ now! Going to consider this done, and re-calibrate the savings rate. Should still be high, but calculating this with mortgage payments and house projects is going to get confusing.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - On track for keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - No excuses here, only lost an additional 1 pound for stretch for a total of 22 lost this year, 2 out of 10 lost for the stretch.

Misc goals

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 8, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

October mini-update inline. Swamped with house projects, but so far all have been minor and fun. Now that I've said that, I assume the sewer is overflowing into my basement right now.

Got a minor raise (4%). In line for a promotion in 6 months, which will come with a still minor, but less minor raise. Not 100% sure I'll still be working here in 6 months, but if I am, that'll be nice.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - On track. Spent a poo poo-ton of money last month, but none of it was debt, and all was planned.
2) Evaluate career change - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $5200/$5.5k added. Final payment set for 12/1!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $9160/$11000. On track, final payment set for 1/1!
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done![/s]
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Done
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Unsure, scale is packed still, but should be good
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year

Misc goals

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sheesh, you guys are worse than the Christmas music before Thanksgiving people! It's still November! 2017!

(I also support a 2018 thread, I just probably won't post in it until then)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now, and my tree has been up since last weekend.

:getout:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

EDIT: /\/\/\ Congrats on your tax cut plutocrat! (Just kidding, nice work)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

TL;DR:

1. Increased personal net worth by 12% in 10 months.
2. Got $3,000 of available credit card potential
3. Got current on all my loans, and started making avalanche payments to them, with a current payoff of January 2021 for currently 84k in debt. I started off at 94k in February or so. (I realize my previous post says 80k, but that was incorrect information.)
4. Stopped smoking and started vaping, reduced drinking somewhat.
5. Food budget went to $230 from $250
6. Paid off 2 medical bills I forgot about since 2015.

Great work here! The first steps are often the hardest, and it sounds like you're putting yourself on a much better track.

Boring but good November update inline. On track to complete 10 major goals, 1 stretch goal, and fail 1 stretch. Pretty great year, just gotta finish out strong!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - On track
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Done! E-Fund is up to $12.4k
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $10072/$11000. On track, final payment set for 1/1!
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done!
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - On track
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year - Only down 3/10 here, so I'll likely fail the stretch, but I should be within striking distance.

Misc goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

EoY update

It was a good year overall, with room for improvement next year. Still, hard to complain when the final goal tally is 10/10 major goals, 1/2 stretch goals.

We easily made our $135k NW goal this year, finishing at around $145k, even with buying a house this year instead of next. This was a combination of slightly higher than expected salary, and of course the stock market over-performing.

We both maxed Roth IRAs for the first time this year. In fact, when I set this goal, I intended that we both contribute $5500, which because we hadn't maxed 2016 and the first several payments were 2016 contributions, wasn't technically a 2017 max. But because of an unexpectedly high bonus, we were able to make a balloon payment to properly max 2017, for a total of $14748 contributed this year. Feeling really good about that.

The sort of failure was again in the health department. While I did technically lose 20 pounds this year, which was my goal, I had basically lost that by July. The second half of the year I made no progress at all. This is the second year in a row I've made a fairly easy health goal with the intention of exceeding it, and instead JUST BARELY squeaking it out. Overall, I am healthier than I was 365 days ago, and that's what really matters, but I should have done better for sure. Needless to say, the "extra 10 pounds lost" stretch goal was a complete failure.

Looking forward to posting 2018 goals shortly!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - Done!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - Done with a bullet!
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - Done!
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done!
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Done, barely
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year - Extreme fail!

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - Mostly done!

• Locked thread