Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
WOW! And here I was feeling self conscious of my food spending when the universal suggestion from BFC and r/personalfinance seems to always be $300/mo and I was working hard to keep mine under $500.

2017 Goals!
- Keep recording my expenses (spreadsheet is created and formula-ed)
- Keep to the budget I've laid out (last year's budget has been realistically adjusted for this year)
- Max his & hers IRAs (auto-transaction is set up)
- More than double my monthly contribution to brokerage (auto-transaction is set up)

Stretch goal: Convince my boss to get a 401(k) plan for the company even if they don't do any matching. It's been a while since I looked into it but it appeared to be really affordable for such a small company; <$1000/yr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

spwrozek posted:

Remember that this is all food (eating in and out) and alcohol. This includes food and drinks on vacation for me as well. I used to split it out but it was kind of a hassle so I stopped. Still not great. But at the same time I am saving ~$37K per year so I don't know. I still want to enjoy life.

It is interesting to see where people draw their categorization lines for ambiguous purchases: Dinner and drinks on vacation? For you: food category; for me: vacation category. I also put toiletries and cleaning supplies purchased at the grocery store under "groceries" because that would be annoying to break receipts up each time. I hope I didn't imply negativity toward any posters with bigger food spending, it was intended neutral and personally eye-opening. Maybe the $300/mo figure is mostly for people trying to get out of a hole, and since I am not in a hole I think I'll bump up our restaurants/bars/groceries budget category to $600/mo in this year's budget. Husband has been a good sport about my cooking attempts, but he'll be thrilled about the restaurant wiggle room.

• Locked thread