Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
2017, like most of my annual goals are not very challenging. We make ok money, have a mortgage but no other debt, two kids in daycare, and we're saving moderately for retirement and kid's education so I feel we're hitting all the high points.

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me. Fullsize truck or SUV to replace our second car / truck (both vehicles high miles and truck cannot fit family). Hoping to only finance about half of it. Have ~$3500 saved thus far.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k
5. Stretch goal: Pay off newly acquired vehicle from step 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TouchyMcFeely posted:

All this food chat is making me hungry but also curious. Looks like the wife, baby and I spend just shy of $8,000 last year.

I was also curious, I found ~$9400 worth of groceries / restaurant spending for a family of 4 (two younger kids). Sometimes if we go out with friends (infrequently) I categorize that differently, so that and all alcohol bought would probably put us around $10.5k maybe for the year. Not too bad.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

So what say you goon hive mind? $500 in unallocated savings: Front load HSA, pay down CC, emergency fund contribution or hookers and blow?

I'd stick it in emergency fund, you can always put it in your HSA afterwards if you need to, you should get some sort of tax form at the end of the year if you're putting in post-tax money to your HSA.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
February update:

dreesemonkey posted:

2017, like most of my annual goals are not very challenging. We make ok money, have a mortgage but no other debt, two kids in daycare, and we're saving moderately for retirement and kid's education so I feel we're hitting all the high points.

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings - On track
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me. Fullsize truck or SUV to replace our second car / truck (both vehicles high miles and truck cannot fit family). Hoping to only finance about half of it. Have ~$3500 saved thus far. - Been going back and forth a lot with what to do. Saved about $8500 so far, should be over $10k in march with a third paycheck. Likely going to try to find something and pay cash so we can concentrate resources on house projects.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments - $100 so far
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k from about $13k - Not much doing here
5. Stretch goal: Pay off newly acquired vehicle from step 2. - Might be a moot point.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

--Finish one new book each month. Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. I don't know if I actually liked it? Definitely want to re-visit it sometime in the future, this was my first Vonnegut so maybe I just don't "get" his style.

I too just read this as my first Vonnegut book (a month or two ago) in an attempt to read some "classics" that I've heard of and I had more or less the same overall reaction to it. I'm not a real serious book literary dude so maybe I'm just not into it enough to "get" it. This is all I could think of while reading it:

If you're looking for something else to read, the other books/novellas on this streak (before going back to stephen king) so far have been:

To Kill A Mockingbird - 5/5
1984 - 3/5
Animal Farm - 4/5
Of Mice and Men - 5/5
Slaughterhouse Five - 2/5
Fahrenheit 451 - 5/5

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

And "so it goes" most definitely happened. Have you never hung out with college students?

Oh I'm sure it did, I just meant for me, I thought t me it just seemed self-referential or pretentious or something. I get it, I just didn't care for it.

ON-TRACK FINANCIAL TOPIC:
Aligning with my 2017 financial goals, I'm hopefully going to look at a vehicle this weekend. It's not exactly what we were looking for, but it's too cheap ($8100) to not check it out. If it could last us 5 years that would be a big win (shouldn't be a problem since it's a secondary vehicle), and I could move forward with buying a big ol' shed for our house this year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me. Fullsize truck or SUV to replace our second car / truck (both vehicles high miles and truck cannot fit family). Hoping to only finance about half of it. Have ~$3500 saved thus far.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k

Updates:
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me.

Bought a car for < $10k, so both of these are killed. Going cheap is going to allow us to do some home improvements this year. Right now trying to sell the car that we've replaced.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Q2 update:

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings - Yea sure
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me - Bought a cheaper vehicle. Still trying to sell the car we replaced but it's crap and no one wants it.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments - Less than $300 so far :-/
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k - No progress, though we are saving for other, more specific things.

6. New shed for the house - This is a new goal, if I ever get our other car sold (or wait until September, our next 3 paycheck month) we'll be most of the way there. If not this year then definitely next.

Overall I think we're doing pretty good. We're closely involved in two weddings this year and that's been taking a decent amount of excess money, as are other specific savings goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Late for a Q3 update, but whatever. This year has been financially *fart noise*

2017 Goals
1. Continue moderate retirement / 529 savings - Yea sure
2. Acquire a newer ~$20k vehicle for me - Bought a cheaper vehicle. Tried to sell the car it replaced but no one wanted to buy it so I still have it. Somewhat of a blessing as I've been doing a decent amount of travel so I'm just hammering the miles on the unwanted vehicle. Hopefully I'll hit a deer and total it.
3. $1200 in principal-only mortgage payments - Yea, no. I think around $300 and that was mostly from the beginning of the year.
4. Bump up emergency fund to $15k From about $13k - Not even close, we actually spent some of that so it's probably closer to $12k now.
5. Stretch goal: Pay off newly acquired vehicle from step 2. - Well hey we did that, however:

Quick e/n story about cars:
My wife and I bought our first brand new car 3 years ago, a Hyundai Sonata with the intent of keeping it for a long time (long warranty and whatnot). We paid it off quickly so we've been car payment free for most of that time. Well, a few months back the engine "blew up". It was driveable, but there was bad valvetrain damage. No worries, that's what a warranty is for! We get our "new" engine (not new) and a week later there is a fire in the engine bay because the tech didn't tighten the charging cable on the alternator enough, it backed off and arced against the engine and bingo bango engine fire. It wasn't "car engulfed" type fire or anything, but it did some damage.

Well, the wife, probably rightfully so, put her foot down and gave me the "I'm not driving our children around in that car" speech so we replaced that car with another brand new car which is going to be roughly $16k out of pocket to "upgrade". So now we have a car loan. On the bright side it's at .9% and it was only for $10k so interest will be minimal, we should be able to get it paid off by summer-ish hopefully if we can stop spending friggin' money.

• Locked thread