Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2017 Goals:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k
- 50/month in daughter's 529
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money with her business idea (gotta start small)
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

No stretches this year. I didn't think they were worth having last year. If we do anything better than stated above, it's a stretch in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (January update):

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet She quit her job, money will be fine, and most importantly, she's not unnecessarily stressed every day for the first time in two years.
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- meet company match on 401k on track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 on track
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

Not a lot of progress yet. With the first goal being hit, I want to wait for things to settle out and see how our financial stream compares to my math.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

Tell me about your wife's business idea. I'm intrigued.

I suppose I was a bit cryptic, and it sounds more grandiose than it actually is. She's a very crafty person and makes her own decor for everything (our wedding, birthday parties, her sister's baby shower, etc.). She always gets compliments on stuff she makes, so she wants to start a store to sell it. Not a new concept for a business by any stretch.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (February update):

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Decided on a cruise. Going to book next month
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment) We're going for it. My wife got a new part-time job at the local YMCA, so we can get heavily discounted child care if we need that in the budget

A little bit more progress. But still seeing how things shake out with my wife's new job situation.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (March update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Cruise and travel booked. We're about $200 under budget. We'll see if we stick to the drink limit we've set for ourselves in said budget.
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) We cleaned up and added storage to the garage instead. Basement coming soon.

Slow-and-steady wins the race. I'll probably knock out the IRAs after my bonus hits in a couple days.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (April update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs Done
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Coming in July.
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) I have a wife and child free weekend in May that I'll be using to tackle this.

Met the Roth goal. Not much else.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (May update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Coming in July.
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Partially cleaned up. Needs a lot more work, though.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Budgeted for. Need to find time to go to a dealer. Maybe wait all the way until New Year's Eve? I've read you can get good deals on that day. I hate negotiating though.

Pretty much no updates other than staying the course. Finding time to do things is hard.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 6, 2017

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (June update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Coming in 2 weeks.
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Partially cleaned up. Needs a lot more work, though.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Budgeted for. Need to find time to go to a dealer.

Pretty much no updates again.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (July update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Took a cruise. Saw 5 different countries. Read a lot of books. Ate a lot of food. Left the kid at home. It was glorious.

We took a vacation. Staying the course until Fall, since everyone decides Summer is when they want to have parties, so I have no free time to do anything around the house.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (August update):

At the end of the month, we were informed that our company lost its funding and was shutting down. I was part of a sizable layoff (40 people), so I'm currently on the hunt for a new job. This has impacted the budget a bit.

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA Surprisingly, I hit this with my last paycheck. I was going to re-assess if I wanted to over-fund my goal. I guess I won't be.
- meet company match on 401k I met this. Assuming whatever job I find has a 401k match, I will continue it.
- Help my wife make money on Etsy

Looking over this, I suppose my job loss hasn't impacted our goals too much. Most of the stuff is budgeted and allocated, and we have a 5-month emergency fund to cover a major occurrence like this. The thing that has surprised me (and wasn't included in my initial emergency fund budget) is the cost of COBRA continuation coverage or insurance on the Health Exchange. After I get a new job, a new goal will be to replenish the emergency fund with the healthcare stuff in mind.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (September update):

Currently still unemployed, but I have an offer on the table with one or two more coming in by the end of the week. I should have a job by the end of the month (with a >10% salary increase :woop:). On a political side note - the social safety net in the US is hosed up. I feel very bad for people that can't afford to save an emergency fund because being unemployed here is not a great experience.

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k The companies I'm getting offers from all have 401k matches, so I'll definitely start this again.
- Help my wife make money on Etsy

Most of my free time has been spent on job hunting, interviews, or doing unproductive activities. I'll get back on some of those goals shortly, but I'd wager a few of them will not be achieved this year.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2017

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thanks! planning a wedding: it is so much work why

The trick is to not have family or friends. Then, it's super easy. :) But yeah, wedding planning is the worst.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (October update):

I started my new job towards the middle of this month. The pay schedule is a bit weird, so I won't get my first paycheck until next week. But being employed is a good thing!

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k Setup my new 401k to meet the potential match (the wording around it is very much "we may or may not match due to whatever business reasons").
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) This could happen before the end of the year depending if we can arrange a weekend at my parents for our daughter.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash My wife is really ready for this. It's budgeted, but I'm not a fan of negotiating, so I've been pushing off going dealer shopping.
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She has her store page setup. I'm trying to encourage her to get a single item listed, but she's 3 months pregnant and very tired most days.
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) This isn't going to happen.

I've been reading a lot of Early Retirement Now recently. He makes a solid argument against having an emergency fund that I'm going to mull over a bit more. I'll make re-arranging that part of next year's goals, but it's food for thought.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Someone started playing Christmas music at work yesterday, and I threw their computer in the garbage.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (November update):

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Done, but spent $75 more than budgeted. We needed one more shelving unit than I anticipated, and we decided to spend a bit more on shelves that looked nicer.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Unless some crazy deals happen in December, this will be pushed to 2018.
- Help my wife make money on Etsy This won't happen until 2018.
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) This isn't going to happen.

I met most of my goals. I don't think I'll hit any of the not-on-track ones this month, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (End of year update):

Successes

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet She went from a full-time job, to a super part-time job at 8 hours a week. We're good financially, she is much happier now, and her anxiety has decreased significantly
- 6000 in Roth IRAs Found budget to max them out
- 2000 in HSA
- Meet company match on 401k
- 50/month in daughter's 529
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Went on a Caribbean cruise before it was destroyed by hurricanes
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment) Baby boy due in May

Not successes

quote:

- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) Partially complete, but spent $325
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash Will take this on in 2018. Ideally, it'll be purchased before baby #2 arrives
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She's resolved to post at least one item in January, so this will become a 2018 goal
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) I don't think I will be doing this at all anymore

Considering I was laid off in August and unemployed for 2 months, this wasn't a bad year.

• Locked thread