Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I skipped last years goals due to things being too hosed and unpredictable with the infamous retaining wall of doom that I needed to have built. All the payments and debt relating to that were wiped out in December so it's a good time to get back on track.

My focus is back on my pitiful retirement savings: total retirement savings $36k

Retirement savings goal for EoY: $86k

Side goal: refinance the other half of my mortgage from 27 years to 15 years remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I skipped last years goals due to things being too hosed and unpredictable with the infamous retaining wall of doom that I needed to have built. All the payments and debt relating to that were wiped out in December so it's a good time to get back on track.

My focus is back on my pitiful retirement savings: total retirement savings $36k

Side goal: refinance the other half of my mortgage from 27 years to 15 years remaining.

My retirement savings are still pitiful but I have deleveraged a floating rate loan used to buy a block of shares. Progress that doesn't change any numbers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

i don't know if this is the thread for it, but my wife and i are buying a house this year. saved up $150k and it's going in on a down payment for a $750k fixer upper. hope to turn it around for $1M in 2-3 years. god bless.

Congratulations on purchasing your future money pit. Even if you bought new it would consume a lot of money. On the upside there is a level of satisfaction with owning your own house.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Retirement savings goal for EoY: $86k Currently $61k but with some debt to purchase underpriced shares

Side goal: refinance the other half of my mortgage from 27 years to 15 years remaining. This will be happening in March

Still a bit of work to do and I need to reserve cash for upcoming tax bills over the next few months.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Proposition Castle posted:

Down to $47,700 and my discipline is cracking real bad. Also I hate my job and am really close to walking out.

This is the toughest part of being in debt. You have less freedom to choose what you do. If you really want to leave you should line up another job prior to resigning.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Retirement savings $68k.

House refinancing will probably happen within the next two weeks.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm updating on a "when I feel like it" schedule. Time for a random update!

I think this is the best process for some. I'm only reporting relevant updates. If nothing has happened there's nothing for me to report.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

End of Quarter 1 Update!
New tales of BWM lay within!

How foolish, December EF was, to think his car would last another year.

The upside is that you used the car until it died. Gotta squeeze every last dollar out of everything.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Retirement savings: $72k+ I took a hit on a some shares where income was over reported leading to a 20% drop in share value. Fortunately a diverse portfolio is the correct way to invest. My index funds are doing alright too.

Mortgage was just about refinanced yesterday but there was a error in the documentation. Waiting on an updated mortgage contract to be emailed through today. I'm splitting between 1, 2 and 3 year fixed and the rates I've been offered are exceptionally good. The split allows for hedging against interest rate changes and balances potential for early repayments if interest costs start exceeding investment returns.
e: refinancing signed and good rates are locked in, and they're a lot better than I imagined they would be. I should really thank the Fed for making an incredible mess of the financial system for my benefit. Goal complete.

Overall: on track.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 6, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

My retirement savings have crossed over $88k exceeding the savings goal for this year. I didn't update for ages as I've been rapidly reducing floating rate debt that I've used for leverage. The gains have been good and I still have $15k to pay down after today's trades. It's time to buckle up for rough economic times in New Zealand.

The side goal was completed almost two months ago. Refinancing complete and the mortgage balance is going down at a substantial rate.

My secondary goal is reducing the floating rate debt but I expect that will be gone in a couple of months so it's not worth tracking at this time. I wasn't expecting to complete these goals so early but opportunities, income and some good trades have worked in my favour.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

- Pass PE exam on first attempt Preparations have begun. The realness is slowly setting in.

I hope that works out. Where I live it's more interview, project design and paperwork based. Different but it's a good achievement.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Potrzebie posted:

Yesterday we closed on a house. This is a good financial idea, no?

It's always difficult to say until you have the benefit of hindsight. My house value went up by about $170k in the two years after I bought it and is still at that value. Turns out it was a good idea.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

Commentary on me being Bad With Money is welcome and any suggestions on how to eliminate this poo poo quicker too

Late 2016: increased gross income from 35,000 to 48,250
At 25, 5 years ago: bought a house with ex-fiance
Shortly thereafter: she left and took her poo poo, which left me with an empty house and poor self-control
My mid-to-late-20's: racked up absurd credit card debts with hobbies such as PC gaming, watches, cigars, movies, and dating

I have been budgeting and have consistently paid down some accounts. Moving in my girlfriend of a year last month and sharing living expenses has my 2018 budget showing 4 accounts I pay monthly on now to be paid off by end of March. Having her around has helped me be more disciplined on spending as well.

Debt totals:

Current budget will have card 7 paid off by November, school loans paid by end of January, and cards 8 and 9 paid by end of March (three paychecks that month).

By Spring, with those four smaller accounts gone and the balances on the other small ones lowered, I figure I'll be able to move away from putting minimum payments on the big fuckers and charging small amounts to top em out again, to putting larger payments on them, keeping cash on the side as to not use them further, and finally start the grind to move away from being charged hundreds a month in interest as I slowly pay them down.

Apologies for the double post but I though this would be clearer as a separate post.

I'm assuming you are in the US so you do not have the same banking flexibility otherwise I'd suggest moving some of the debts to an overdraft/revolving credit (HELOC) against the house. Looking at your credit cards and school loan you seem to be a in a cash flow bind. I'd say just proceed with what you are a currently doing. What you are proposing to do is effectively shift some of the debt to lower interest cards. I think that is your best option now that you are moving away from only being able to pay minimum payments each month.

Do stick with it as it's a painfully slow seeming process at the start. However if you keep this up your debts will look a lot better in a few years time. Sometimes I would suggest paying off the lowest balances first (snowball repayment) but you seem to be able to handle the administration of all of these debts. Along with the four small ones being repaid early next year anyway it's a moot point.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah we have loans and/or credit that can be taken against home equity, but in my case I bought a cheap house with little down and even after 5 years in this house I only have about 10k in equity.

It takes a long time to get any significant equity on 30 year mortgages. There's not much you can do other than what you're planning already as the sum of your minimum payments must be considerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I hit my goals and exceeded them. I even managed to eliminate the floating rate debt that I'd used as leverage for my investments. Next year is going to be interesting as I've cleared out a number of goals that I'd planned on for many years.

• Locked thread