Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Awesome, I welcome the new thread, and the hopes for a new year!

Honestly, the list is usually boring because I do so much on autopilot, but there is a bit of drama to start the year that (for once) has nothing to do with my family.
I'm going to make more money and be miserable for Q1! How does that happen? I'm doing double the work, but I get paid extra to do so!

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

3 - MAX THE HSA! I have access to an HSA! Finally! (Nobody at work really knows why this made me so excited during open enrollment)

4 - Continue funding 529 at 250/month

5 - STRETCH - pay off that ~20K car loan. I'm taking this one back on myself; based on family dynamics, getting rid of this by the end of next year will recreate the type of cash flow that will allow a bit more breathing room and use as an unofficial family emergency fund. I don't think Trump got my letter to get an exemption from economic policy and outsource my parents/siblings/in-laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So, at the start:

balancedbias posted:

Honestly, the list is usually boring because I do so much on autopilot, but there is a bit of drama to start the year that (for once) has nothing to do with my family.
I'm going to make more money and be miserable for Q1! How does that happen? I'm doing double the work, but I get paid extra to do so!

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

3 - MAX THE HSA! I have access to an HSA! Finally! (Nobody at work really knows why this made me so excited during open enrollment)

5 - STRETCH - pay off that ~20K car loan. I'm taking this one back on myself; based on family dynamics, getting rid of this by the end of next year will recreate the type of cash flow that will allow a bit more breathing room and use as an unofficial family emergency fund. I don't think Trump got my letter to get an exemption from economic policy and outsource my parents/siblings/in-laws.

Updates!

1 - On Track

2-DONE (actually it was done the first week in January because there's no reason to wait on IRAs if you know that you will make enough to cover them)

3 - :derp: The rules for HSA eligibility include not being covered by other insurance before you would meet the high deductible.
"Honey, am I still on your plan?
"Yeah, in case you rage quit work one day"
"Well, poo poo."
I got her to drop me from her plan (surprisingly painless) and it's retroactive to the start of the year (she was told they do this regularly and its usually either for an HSA or divorce).

4-On track

5-HAHAHAHA no progress, at least not officially. All of the HSA deposits will be my responsibility, so I have to pick my own custodian and I'll just deposit the full contribution. After that's done, I'll put dents in this one. Inefficient tax refund ahoy!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

I haven't updated this since February?! Holy poo poo!

balancedbias posted:

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

JUNE UPDATE!

1 - Still on track!

2 - done as noted before

3 - Got a grand in :woop: but it's just sitting, not "invested" per se :effort:

4 - smooth sailing

5 - Just need about 5K more to smash this thing :pray:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

1 - Ahead. Thanks to a brutal schedule (we're shot one staff member) that "extra work" has continued for much of the year. This also has meant more pay for me, and subsequently I should have both maxed at the next paycheck.
Some of you savvy folks may say "but won't that mean you're losing out on some of your match?" Nope! My company has done an excellent job reconciling the match at the end of the year no matte what!

2 - has been done

3 - Finally have the money set aside, and I chose a company, so I'm all set! (Note: my company doesn't automatically contribute or match an HSA, so my "benefit" comes at tax time).

4 - smooth sailing.

5 - My wife comes up to me about 2 weeks ago: "Well, I saved some extra money, because I know you want that loan paid off."
Me: How much?
Wife: about $15000
Me: :wtf: :circlefap:
So this is DONE AS OF THIS MONTH!

I'm beside myself. I really didn't think this would get done because of so much family drama, and I didn't think my wife cared about debt as much as I did. I consider this year a financial success, and then some. Now for some big audacious goals next year. I won't post them yet though (because I haven't quite figured them out yet).

• Locked thread