Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Big one is to clear out all I owe in collections. Which is only about 3k. So not an insurmountable amount.

Stick to my budget.

Build a halfway decent emergency fund.

Pull my husband's credit report and figure out what we need to work on first for him.

Do the math to figure out if it's more cost effective for him to go back to work lose Medicaid and have to go on my health insurance, or stick with just his disability check and leave him on Medicaid. He wants to work, but he's on two meds that don't have a generic.... So it's a giant mess of math to figure out how much he'd have to make to break even with increased premiums and copays.

Save down payment for a new car, since I don't know if my 99 voyager has another Midwestern winter in it.

Start a 529 for the kiddo.

We clear around 2k combined, and only need half of that for bills. (Grocery spending can be a splurge for us if we do steak 3x/week, but we can trim our essentials down to:

Rent/utilities: 650
Insurance: 75
Gas: 50
Groceries: 250

And stick to 40/week each spending money. Which is 320 tidal

So that leaves us with like 500 a month left over which means 400 into the e fund, and 100 towards debts. So definitely some doable stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

AA is for Quitters posted:

Do the math to figure out if it's more cost effective for him to go back to work lose Medicaid and have to go on my health insurance, or stick with just his disability check and leave him on Medicaid. He wants to work, but he's on two meds that don't have a generic.... So it's a giant mess of math to figure out how much he'd have to make to break even with increased premiums and copays.

So, did the math, he'd have to make 600 a week to break even with the health insurance offered through my job. Which would mean he'd have to go back to construction...which is great money, but how he wound up on disability in the first place. He could clear that easy, but I don't think it's worth it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Welp, finally got approved for a (secured) credit card, vantage score 3.0 instantly jumped by 100pts. It's sad when even the Discover It didn't want me, so I picked the one with the lowest annual fee ($29).

Low interest rate, but no intentions of carrying a balance. Strictly for day-to-day spending (ie, pop at work)

One step closer to having decent credit by the time I have enough saved for the downpayment on a house.

Also, I got the IBR consolidation for my loans done. Hooray for $0.00 payments!

• Locked thread