Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been holding off on posting 2017 goals because I work in an energy research job for the government so it remains to be seen if I'll still have a job in a month or two :roflolmao:

But I think I'm just going to be optimistic and post them assuming I'm going to have a job. And if I don't then I'll update the goals accordingly.

~*~my 2017 goals~*~
1. Max Roth IRA
2. Increase cash emergency fund from 3 to 6 months living expenses at current living expenses rate (meaning i could stretch it out more than that if I was in trouble and cooled my spending)
3. Put 1/3 1/4 of salary towards retirement savings by end of year (stretch goal 1/3)
4. Get better details of wife's finances and figure out a plan for her / combined plan for us
5. Teach a class adjunctishly
6. Get new windows installed in house

e: revised #3 slightly because i thought it was too ambitious

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:ducksiren:Q1 Update!:ducksiren:

I've been holding off on posting 2017 goals because I work in an energy research job for the government so it remains to be seen if I'll still have a job in a month or two :roflolmao:
But I think I'm just going to be optimistic and post them assuming I'm going to have a job. And if I don't then I'll update the goals accordingly.
Q1: So far so good :ohdear: the situation actually looks a good bit more promising than I had feared

~*~my 2017 goals~*~
1. Max Roth IRA
Q1: Done!
2. Increase cash emergency fund from 3 to 6 months living expenses at current living expenses rate (meaning i could stretch it out more than that if I was in trouble and cooled my spending)
Q1: I'm changing this goal, kinda. Now saving 1/4 of my salary in low-risk assets (short term bonds) as a combination emergency fund + money for a planned "emergency" that my wife and I hope will happen roughly 2-3 years from now.
3. Put 1/4 of salary towards retirement savings by end of year (stretch goal 1/3)
Q1: On track for 1/4 so far
4. Get better details of wife's finances and figure out a plan for her / combined plan for us
Q1: Only just now starting to do tax preparation (lol) and using this as an opportunity to get a handle on her finances, which are not bad but in a bit of disarray organization-wise
Q1: Unless something goes wrong at the registrar's office, I am slated to teach a grad-level class this fall! The pay is meh but I still have my main job and I really want to teach. I'm very excite :peanut:
Q1: Called around for estimates, but haven't done much else on this one. Hoping to get it done this summer while it's nice out.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ugh, so jealous of everyone with more than 5,500 per year of tax advantaged space

e: and happy for them of course! :kiddo:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:ducksiren:Q2 Update!:ducksiren:

Q1: So far so good :ohdear: the situation actually looks a good bit more promising than I had feared
Q: Still good on this front, though the prez budget proposal doesn't look good for me, BUT
I make it a rule to never worry too much about a federal budget until it's already undergone a few passes thru congress. My field has been zero'd out before in presidential budget proposals only to be restored fully by congress. Plus even Rs in congress have already loled about how DOA this budget proposal is.

~*~my 2017 goals~*~
1. Max Roth IRA
Q1: Done!
Q2: Tax disaster! Had to remove all of 2016 AND 2017 IRA contributions because of being married filing separately plus my weird bizarre income category :( paid tax and penalty and now all that money is invested in my taxable retirement account so it's not the end of the world. It turns out getting married is actually horrible for taxes and I don't know why everyone says the opposite. Still glad I got married though :kiddo:

Side note: Vanguard customer service is good as h*ck

Q1: I'm changing this goal, kinda. Now saving 1/4 of my salary in low-risk assets (short term bonds) as a combination emergency fund + money for a planned "emergency" that my wife and I hope will happen roughly 2-3 years from now.
Q2: Done technically, but in spirit there's a little more to go. The bond fund is at the 3 months of living expenses mark, and i still have 3 in my savings account, for 6 total. Going to keep adding to both until the savings account is at 6 months, so that i can start considering the bond fund as purely earmarked for the thing that might happen a couple of years from now and keep contributing to it at current rates.

3. Put 1/4 of salary towards retirement savings by end of year (stretch goal 1/3)
Q1: On track for 1/4 so far
Q2: Still managing 1/4 despite the tax hiccup

Q1: Only just now starting to do tax preparation (lol) and using this as an opportunity to get a handle on her finances, which are not bad but in a bit of disarray organization-wise
Q2: Signed wife up for her job's 401k, and maxed her IRA for the 2016 just before the deadline. Well, actually maxed her Roth IRA for 2016, then had to recharacterize it as traditional at the last minute because of being married filing separately lol. Still more work to be done to get a complete picture and plan everything but things are coming together.

Q1: Unless something goes wrong at the registrar's office, I am slated to teach a grad-level class this fall! The pay is meh but I still have my main job and I really want to teach. I'm very excite :peanut:
Q2: Course is on the schedule and I am reviewing course materials!

Q1: Called around for estimates, but haven't done much else on this one. Hoping to get it done this summer while it's nice out.
Q2: On hold, hoping to take care of this late summer.

• Locked thread