Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Figures -
- Approximately $66,000 remaining in car loan at 2%. (Yes, it was a big loan, no, I don’t usually regret it).

Things we will not try to do:
- Mess around with the car situation - I’m happy with the car that I bought for my wife, although it was expensive and has a high monthly payment, it is under warranty and it feels safe for her and my daughter to get around.

Stretch Goals

- Have my paid-off car last another year.

You know I hate your car loan but at 2% I'd just make sure you aren't underwater and then make your minimums.

edit: never mind, pretty sure I totally misinterpreted that whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In 2017 I got a raise, which means I can bump up some numbers.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving
Max 401K
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage
Max IRA
Net worth goal: $225,000

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo
go on a cool vacation

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new Volvos are the way to go for people with more money and taste than they know what to do with, unless you really want performance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Apparently the combination electric gas engines are real monsters (like 450 horsepower) but for the price they'd charge you, you could get a C63, an M3 or a lightly used E63.

Volvo has never really figured out/cared about the handling part of the equation even if they occasionally build a fast car. Even the Polestar stuff isn't quite up to par.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

How does this work? You fly to Europe, pick up the car, drive it around for awhile, drop it off at a port, and ship it back to the US?

Yes, usually the company puts you up for a bit or gives you some track time, a tour of the manufacturing facility, etc. the shipping to the US is covered.

The terms are different for each company but if you look up European Delivery Programs for any of the major Euro luxury brands you'll find out a lot more than I can provide.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Bro, it's not an emergency fund if it's risk-exposed. Your emergency fund - literally the financial cushion between you and ruination - should be cash or short term cash-stable equivalents, and should contain at least several months of living expenses. If it's more than that, by all means invest, but make sure you're not going to take a 20% haircut if the market drops.

If you have family to lean on, it might shrink this pot a little, but one of the hallmarks of balanced finances is that you're okay only drawing 2% on your emergency fund because you realize that the highly correlated nature of financial slowdowns and meltdowns will destroy you if you get cute with your emergency fund. (You don't lose your job in a boom).

You could lose your job in a boom but you'll be able to get a new one relatively quickly. It's not the job loss that kills you, it's the long-duration unemployment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - on track
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving TBD, August
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage nothing done yet, have just configured auto deposit monthly
Max IRA nothing done yet, have just configured auto deposit monthly
Net worth goal: $225,000 currently at 198K, based on defined savings plan above should be at $247K in December.
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got ring now 4 proposal
go on a cool vacation tbd

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. currently my performance against my bonus criteria indicates that i will get a very good bonus. fingers crossed!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 22, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

End of Quarter 1 Update!
New tales of BWM lay within!

How foolish, December EF was, to think his car would last another year.

what'd you get?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

CPO 2015 VW Golf R :getin:

Something something fuel efficiency, and while it wasn't FREE it wasn't like a brand new S4 or something.

I very nearly bought a Subaru Impreza which probably would have been better with money but whatever, I like driving fast to and from work.

Lmao I thought you wanted reliability

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Partial update:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2017 Goals:
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage Caught up through March and have auto deposit going
Max IRA Auto deposit on schedule
Net worth goal: $225,000 currently at 203K, based on defined savings plan above should be at $247K in December.
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

More updates:

2017 Goals:
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Hopefully deciding on a place this week, all places represent between $100 and $700/mo decrease
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage Got autodeposit configured, on track and caught up
Max IRA auto deposit configured, on track
Net worth goal: $225,000 currently $221,000, well on track
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 currently $221,000, well on track

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got engaged woo
go on a cool vacation not sure this one is gonna happen - i guess I'm going to CA for a friend's wedding but that isn't really a Cool Vacation to me.

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. probably on track, we just got an early bonus payment which only happens if we have really good bonuses

Edit: made my catchup payment

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

More updates:

A bit of a change. My fiancee got in to a very good graduate program with decent financial assistance, but since even Stafford rates on loans for terminal masters degrees are like 5.8% we've decided to pay the rest in cash, at least for this year. The stretch net worth goals and car goals might be a bit harder as a result but we are still gonna try. I may reduce my taxable brokerage contributions in order to throw money at school.

2017 Goals:
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving As of Aug 15, in a new place for $350/mo less, but also including utilities, so it's probably about $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage On track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 currently $221,000, no change from last month due to some cash out for school and we also moved which was somewhat not cheap, although budgeted for
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 currently $221,000, not so on track

Random poo poo:
Ditched cable, now we pay $40/mo flat for internet. Feels good man.

Non monetary:
Plan wedding holy poo poo this is so much work
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. On track for this, but a bit dependent on the school thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good luck, moving friend. Sounds like the move is paying off at least on the top line.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Trying to make this "paying for grad school without taking loans" thing work without compromising other things. We are having a really good year at work so this should be OK.

2017 Goals:
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done! About $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $247,800
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 On track, currently $247,800, due to some advanced bonus payments

Random poo poo:
Ditched cable, now we pay $40/mo flat for internet. Feels good man.

Non monetary:
Plan wedding substantive stuff is done
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October Partial failure, my "time off" in October was actually spent working

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. On track for this; have received target bonus as advanced payments

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Congrats!

thanks! planning a wedding: it is so much work why

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2017 Goals:
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done! About $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $247,800
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 On track, currently $247,800, due to some advanced bonus payments

Non monetary:
go on a cool vacation good enough I guess, will do better next year

Stretch goal:
If I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. got the bonus figures last week, had a really excellent year and was compensated for it, the car search begins!

edit: I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you gotta have goals to paper at least a month out so you can EXECUTE

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on your upcoming matrimony!

thanks friend, it is a wild ride!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now, and my tree has been up since last weekend.

You monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Final tally, near enough. I have a record of all my incoming payments to the end of the year.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - Did this, savings account balance increased by $26,000 so I'll count it
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done
Max 401K Done
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage Done
Max IRA Done
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $274K

Non monetary:
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October do better next year, honeymooon!!!

Stretch goals:
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 Beat this one too, 274K
Max fiancee Roth IRA check is written, I'll call it done

• Locked thread