Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010

spinst posted:

Alright dudes, it's January 1! Let's kick this year's rear end.

Waiting to close the the 2016 budget was more exciting to me that Christmas this year. The good and bad news is that my spending reductions for 2016 put me exactly where I wanted to be in 2014 for the plan I made in 2012. So we're moving a little slower than I planned, but still improving. It's more remarkable that we managed to do this while we were mostly asleep at the wheel, financially, for last 5 months of the year.

My big goals for 2017 are:
0) Wake up and get back on the budget wagon.
1) Reduce budget further by about 8-10%
2) actually use the budget part of YNAB, instead of just eyeballing it from the spending reports
3) home garden (This project includes at least 50' of concrete retaining wall.)
4) Finally consolidate my various retirement accounts.

Stretch goals
1) professional certification I've been putting off
2) Rental property? I need to run the numbers and see if I'm better off using pre-tax or post-tax money for this - I assume pre-tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folly
May 26, 2010
I thought shaming ourselves and each other was what BFC was for? That and charts, like this: https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/CostofFoodNov2016.pdf

Cheap cooking is practically a lost cultural skill in the USA. Most people can cut a ton out their food budget without even realizing it. Simple recipes and techniques using the most basic ingredients can make some of the very best food for very little cost. It really should have it's own thread.

PS. SNAP benefits are calculated by what percentage of your income it would take to reach the Thrifty plan. (Thrifty plan - 0.3 * <your income> = your benefit)

Folly
May 26, 2010

Ooh, lot of good info in that thread. It could use some structure, though. But I guess that's expected. Every culture in the world has a history of sustenance cooking, so there is literally thousands of ways to do it.

• Locked thread