Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k
2) Max both IRAs
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me
4) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate)
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 95k currently)
6) Take at least a week's vacation

Stretch

1) Update kitchen (15k max)
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max)

Details

I am giving up my traveling consulting career and taking a FTE remote job with my consulting company in Jan. Without getting too into it, this past year we found out (not unexpectedly) that my husband has a very rare disease and will eventually be completely disabled and require memory care. We want to be around each other as much as possible and make good memories while we still can. We have decided to keep to the plan and fund our retirement, pay off the house, and keep cash in reserve to hedge against whatever may come. He's going to keep working his government job for as long as he can (difficult to get fired from is a perk now) and he's enrolled in a clinical trial starting this spring, so we're cautiously optimistic, but realistic at the same time.

Having stated financial goals to work towards helps TREMENDOUSLY with the stress of the unknown. We can't complain; our life now is fairly good and we will keep living and enjoying each day as it comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - On track
2) Max both IRAs - On track
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me - Done
4) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Probably going to do this in 2018 instead and do the kitchen this year since I'm currently working from home
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 80k currently) - On track
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Scheduled for August

Stretch

1) Update kitchen (15k max) - I started taking bids on this and it's going to be more like 25k to get it done... :(
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max) - Done. Contributed 1.7k to buying him a safe, modern car

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - On track
2) Max both IRAs - On track
4) Update kitchen (15k max) - This will be ~30k including appliances - demo starts in a month! I was way off in my estimate of how much this would cost and that became very apparent once I started taking bids. I also thought I would have nervous breakdown over spending this much money, but I am actually having zero issues with it; my chosen contractor is very professional and reliable and there's a huge peace of mind in knowing everything will be done correctly. Also, not only is this something that we need to do, it's something that I want to do and I think that matters a lot. I'm really excited, guys! :3:
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 75k currently) - Done
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Done

Stretch

1) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Swapped w/ kitchen remodel goal, this won't happen until 2018
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max) - Done. Contributed 1.7k to buying him a safe, modern car

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - Done
2) Max both IRAs - Done
4) Update kitchen (15k max) - Done - This ended up being 33k total because I had no idea how much remodeling cost when I first made this goal, but once I started taking bids I revised this estimate up to ~30k. I actually ended up going with the most expensive contractor, but they were the most professional by far; the whole thing ended up being so easy and stress-free for me, and everything was done correctly and on time, so I think that was absolutely the right choice. Also now the illegal and poorly done wiring in the kitchen is no longer in danger of spontaneously catching on fire.
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 72k currently) - Done
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Done

Stretch

1) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Swapped w/ kitchen remodel goal, this won't happen until 2018

Not bad!! I made much less money this year due to the contract switch but I got to spend the year at home. Now that my house is in literal and proverbial order, I am ready to return to travel consulting and knock out that mortgage in 2018!!

• Locked thread