Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sundae posted:

Goals for 2017

Expense oriented for both Sundae and Wife
2 - Limit our at-home alcohol purchases to $30 per month. (2 bottles of wine per month, basically.)

You need to lower your standards :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Retirement Savings Goals
  • My Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • Her Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • My 457(b): $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)
  • Her TSP: $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)

We should definitely be able to max out all accounts this year unless something goes seriously sideways.

File my taxes by April 15th
For the past few years, I have always been ready to file by the end of March except for the K-1 I needed for the family partnership I was a part of. My aunt is a terrible person, and doubly terrible about finances, so I never received this form before like April 12th every year. Stressful!

This past year, my family miraculously (if acrimoniously) charted a path out of the partnership, selling our shares to my aunt. There is one final hurdle to clear: receiving the final K-1. Will my aunt get this to us in a timely fashion? Will she vindictively delay the release of the form, forcing us all to go through the headache of filing for an extension? I sure hope not! Timely filing this year will feel wonderful and will snip the last financial tie I have with my aunt. :pray:

Get my parents to update their will

My one failed goal from 2016. My folks are in great shape, thank goodness. Nevertheless, they are approaching 60. They have not updated their wills since before my brother--a sophomore in college (!)--was born. The goal for this area is to get my parents to update their will.

Don't apply for any credit cards until July at the earliest
I've posted a little bit about how my wife and I have aggressively applied for credit cards such that we will be taking a trip around Asia with nearly free first class airfare on some great airlines (ANA, Korean, Cathay Pacific) this summer. We stopped applying to credit cards on June 1st, 2016 in advance of applying for a mortgage later in the year. We got our mortgage and bought the house a couple weeks ago, so technically we're clear to start applying again. Nevertheless, I would like to wait til at least July so that we have a year between apps. Credit card issuers are tightening up rules on churners and we already still have a surplus of points, so waiting is no big deal.

Stretch goal: Don't apply for any credit cards in 2016. We'll see about this one. Depends on what offerings are out there.

Use the home gym!
We are in the process of building a gym in the basement of our new house. It's relatively inexpensive. Nevertheless, I don't want that money to go to waste. The goal for this area is to workout in the home gym at least 90 times in 2017. The stretch goal is to workout in the home gym at least 120 times in 2017.

Track home purchase expenses
Before we purchased our home, we set aside $60,000 for the down payment, furniture, and moving expenses. I have already been tracking every house-related purchase so far and plan to continue doing so in 2017. The stretch goal is to stay within that $60,000, which I think we'll be able to do fairly easily, but it's good to write it here to hold me to it.

Sell my co-op
My co-op is a pretty cheap place to live, so I'm under no immediate pressure to sell it. Nevertheless, the sooner it's sold, the better. There are some minor repairs to do before listing, but I would like to get it sold sometime before the end of the year. The stretch goals are to list it by the end of March and sell it by the end of June.

Make a plan for when we're going to have our first kid
My wife and I both turn 30 this year. We know we want kids, although it still hasn't been "the right time" (whatever that means) yet. Sometime this year, we need to have at least one serious conversation about when exactly we want to start trying for a family. The clock is ticking!

Fence the backyard
The new house has a great backyard, but it's only partially fenced in. This year I want to finish the fence so the dog has a nice place to play.

Expand the driveway to create a turning pad for the car
One of the biggest knocks on the new house is that the detached garage is not only very narrow, but also slightly offset from the driveway. The result is that backing out is difficult and I keep putting the front right tire in the landscaping when I back out. At some point this year, I want to rip out the area of the landscaping that's at risk and widen the paved area so that I can back out more easily.

Get an annual physical and go to the dentist
This is a goal for both my wife and me. Neither of us did either of these things in 2016. Gotta do better.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 3, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Good-Natured Filth posted:

2017 Goals (January update):

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet She quit her job, money will be fine, and most importantly, she's not unnecessarily stressed every day for the first time in two years.
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- meet company match on 401k on track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money with her business idea (gotta start small)
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

Not a lot of progress yet. With the first goal being hit, I want to wait for things to settle out and see how our financial stream compares to my math.

Tell me about your wife's business idea. I'm intrigued.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I suppose I was a bit cryptic, and it sounds more grandiose than it actually is. She's a very crafty person and makes her own decor for everything (our wedding, birthday parties, her sister's baby shower, etc.). She always gets compliments on stuff she makes, so she wants to start a store to sell it. Not a new concept for a business by any stretch.

That's really great! Best of luck to her.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

100,000 points CSR is dead sorry

Can still apply in branch through March 12, unless I missed some news

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rocks posted:

i don't know if this is the thread for it, but my wife and i are buying a house this year. saved up $150k and it's going in on a down payment for a $750k fixer upper. hope to turn it around for $1M in 2-3 years. god bless.

Congrats and RIP in advance

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DJCobol posted:

One of my bucket list items is to buy a new car and take delivery in Europe (BMW, MB, and Audi all do this program)

How does this work? You fly to Europe, pick up the car, drive it around for awhile, drop it off at a port, and ship it back to the US?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Very impressed with everyone's progress so far! Keep it up BFC :peanut:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Original Post | First Quarter | Second Quarter | Third Quarter | Year End

Retirement Savings Goals

Progress: Both IRAs have been maxed out. I have contributed ~$13,000 to my 457(b), she is at ~$11,000 on her TSP. This goal should be done by the Q2 update.

For the past few years, I have always been ready to file by the end of March except for the K-1 I needed for the family partnership I was a part of. My aunt is a terrible person, and doubly terrible about finances, so I never received this form before like April 12th every year. Stressful!

This past year, my family miraculously (if acrimoniously) charted a path out of the partnership, selling our shares to my aunt. There is one final hurdle to clear: receiving the final K-1. Will my aunt get this to us in a timely fashion? Will she vindictively delay the release of the form, forcing us all to go through the headache of filing for an extension? I sure hope not! Timely filing this year will feel wonderful and will snip the last financial tie I have with my aunt. :pray:

Progress: After ignoring several emails and phone calls, the accountant has finally promised to distribute the tax forms by the end of this week. Here's hoping!

My one failed goal from 2016. My folks are in great shape, thank goodness. Nevertheless, they are approaching 60. They have not updated their wills since before my brother--a sophomore in college (!)--was born. The goal for this area is to get my parents to update their will.

Progress: Mostly done, largely without any prodding from me.

I've posted a little bit about how my wife and I have aggressively applied for credit cards such that we will be taking a trip around Asia with nearly free first class airfare on some great airlines (ANA, Korean, Cathay Pacific) this summer. We stopped applying to credit cards on June 1st, 2016 in advance of applying for a mortgage later in the year. We got our mortgage and bought the house a couple weeks ago, so technically we're clear to start applying again. Nevertheless, I would like to wait til at least July so that we have a year between apps. Credit card issuers are tightening up rules on churners and we already still have a surplus of points, so waiting is no big deal.

Stretch goal: Don't apply for any credit cards in 2016. We'll see about this one. Depends on what offerings are out there.

Progress: No applications so far

Use the home gym!
We are in the process of building a gym in the basement of our new house. It's relatively inexpensive. Nevertheless, I don't want that money to go to waste. The goal for this area is to workout in the home gym at least 90 times in 2017. The stretch goal is to workout in the home gym at least 120 times in 2017.

Progress: We moved into the house in late January and found mold (not the bad kind, but still) in the workout room in late February. I've only worked out in this room five times. Gotta pick up the pace after we treat the mold this week.

Before we purchased our home, we set aside $60,000 for the down payment, furniture, and moving expenses. I have already been tracking every house-related purchase so far and plan to continue doing so in 2017. The stretch goal is to stay within that $60,000, which I think we'll be able to do fairly easily, but it's good to write it here to hold me to it.

Progress: Doing well so far and still have a few thousand left in the budget.

Sell my co-op
My co-op is a pretty cheap place to live, so I'm under no immediate pressure to sell it. Nevertheless, the sooner it's sold, the better. There are some minor repairs to do before listing, but I would like to get it sold sometime before the end of the year. The stretch goals are to list it by the end of March and sell it by the end of June.

Progress: Not going to meet the stretch goal, but hoping to list by Memorial Day.

My wife and I both turn 30 this year. We know we want kids, although it still hasn't been "the right time" (whatever that means) yet. Sometime this year, we need to have at least one serious conversation about when exactly we want to start trying for a family. The clock is ticking!

Progress: Uhhhhhh tbd

Fence the backyard
The new house has a great backyard, but it's only partially fenced in. This year I want to finish the fence so the dog has a nice place to play.

Progress: This will probably be done by the Q2 update. Have already had a good preliminary discussion with the neighbor.

One of the biggest knocks on the new house is that the detached garage is not only very narrow, but also slightly offset from the driveway. The result is that backing out is difficult and I keep putting the front right tire in the landscaping when I back out. At some point this year, I want to rip out the area of the landscaping that's at risk and widen the paved area so that I can back out more easily.

Progress: Removed from goals as we have decided to not park the car in the garage.

This is a goal for both my wife and me. Neither of us did either of these things in 2016. Gotta do better.

Progress: We've both made it to the dentist already this year! Next up is a physical for each of us.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Original Post | First Quarter | Second Quarter | Third Quarter | Year End

Retirement Savings Goals

Progress: Everything is maxed :toot:

Progress: Getting close to filing. Didn't get the tax forms til June, right before my big trip abroad. Should hopefully finish this weekend, although I'm sure this will generate an audit at some point :smith:

Progress: Largely done without any prodding from me, but I should do a final check.

Progress: I've applied for two and she's applied for one. Whoops. Gotta take your shots when the good ones appear.

Use the home gym!

Progress: We've been doing most of our workouts outside since the weather got nice, so this goal is kind of derailed.

Progress: Doing well so far and still have a few thousand left in the budget.

Sell my co-op

Progress: Been listed for ~45 days. Some decent visitation but no offers yet.

Progress: Uhhhhhh tbd

Fence the backyard

Progress: Done as of this afternoon! Took longer and cost more than the contractor projected though :argh:

Progress: Removed from goals as we have decided to not park the car in the garage.

Progress: We've both made it to the dentist already this year! Next up is a physical for each of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rocks posted:

i don't really know where else to post this, but my wife and I have been using YNAB for a couple years now and it's changed our lives for the better... just such a game changer. Was able to put away almost $4k/mo while all our friends blew their wad on drinking and going out, while we just bought a baller house!

It was a really tough go for the last little while (making money while not being able to spend it), but looking out at my super sweet ocean view right now i think we made the right choices. cheers goons :3:

edit: oh and here's a snippet from a check i wrote, one i'll definitely never forget

Congrats! Delayed gratification is extra sweet.

• Locked thread