Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years. Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November).

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease.

Put myself into position to be completely debt free at some point in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I've for the most part stopped drinking (I haven't bought anything at the stores and I went out once with my gf for a packer game and spent a total of $15) this month and I'm surprised at how much it has affected my budget. I've never been a big drinker but even casually drinking adds up.

I've also lost weight which I'm sure cutting out the drinking has done.

I think if you really try to cut down on the alcohol you can save a lot of money there.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I really really want the CSR, but I'm having trouble hitting $500 for the unlimited freedom card, so I probably shouldn't apply for a card that I would need to spend $4,000 on.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Are those the order of your goals? I'd put company match 401k first.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years. Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November).

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease.

hard to tell if if my specific goals are progressing the way I want them to, but I am working a lot of overtime, and I've been paying very little for parking so far this year because I've been taking the bus or working at another location where I can drive and park for free. I also just opened an ally saving account so I can put my savings into something that earns more than .03% annually. And my emergency saving is up to $7150, so I'll hit my goal easily.

my ynab reports make it look like it's working though.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Got my emergency fund to my goal of $7500. Now to start throwing all the money that was budgeted for the emergency fund each month at my student loan debt!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Two smallest loans currently standing at ~900 each. Other two at ~$2400 and ~$2900. Emergency fund currently at $7700

Got a 6% raise in April and turned it down because it would have moved me back to salary and I was making more getting overtime. Regional manager found out about it and gave me an 11.1% raise to $50,000. I did get moved back to salary, but with my new position the workload is much less and I wouldn't have been able to rack up the same amount of overtime anyway.

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease. Don't use the bus any more, but still don't use much fuel either. It's the 15th of July and I still haven't put any gas in my car this month.

On track. Girlfriend moved in with me and bills/rent have been cut in half and grocery spending has gone up, but since we split it my portion has gone down.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Good-Natured Filth posted:

2017 Goals (August update):

At the end of the month, we were informed that our company lost its funding and was shutting down. I was part of a sizable layoff (40 people), so I'm currently on the hunt for a new job. This has impacted the budget a bit.

Looking over this, I suppose my job loss hasn't impacted our goals too much. Most of the stuff is budgeted and allocated, and we have a 5-month emergency fund to cover a major occurrence like this. The thing that has surprised me (and wasn't included in my initial emergency fund budget) is the cost of COBRA continuation coverage or insurance on the Health Exchange. After I get a new job, a new goal will be to replenish the emergency fund with the healthcare stuff in mind.

Sorry to hear about your job, and I never thought about the cost of COBRA or buying a plan on the Health Exchange. I should probably recalculate what I need for my emergency fund...

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years.Retirement savings up to $23.5k Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).Paid off three student loans this year, only $2491 remaining. Emergency fund at $8000

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November). Got an 11% raise this year, up to $50,000. Will be expecting another larger one this year, it's good to be on my regional managers good side. Don't really get why he likes me, but he does.

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease. Drive to work now, but I usually only have to fill up on gas once a month. Live about 2 miles from work

Will be in a good position to be debt free in a few months!

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
How fast do you have to be going to get a several thousand dollar speeding ticket?

• Locked thread