Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I'll play again this year

Goals for 2017:
Max out HSA contributions of $3,400
Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,000
Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second
Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job
Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time)
Spend tax return on hookers and blow in Vegas
Vacation to a continent that isn't North America
Sell my current motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Let's see how I'm doing

DJCobol posted:

I'll play again this year

Goals for 2017:
$279.16 transferred monthly into this account will max this out by December, so on-track

$211.53 coming out of each bi-weekly paycheck will take care of this, so on-track.

Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second
Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job
Done, with a decent amount left in checking and other savings as well. Previously it was all just lumped together

Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time)
Upping to 12.5% puts me at my budget savings goal, so I'm leaving it there

I bought house stuff and boosted my primary savings after splitting out the 2 above emergency funds

Budgeting for Christmas in Europe again this year, so on-track

loving motorcycles

New goal:

Start saving for a new car.
Done, see above screenshot

One of my bucket list items is to buy a new car and take delivery in Europe (BMW, MB, and Audi all do this program), so I budgeted a $500 a month car payment. Right now it's going into a a down payment savings account, but that also gets me used to having a car payment in my budget again. And all the changes put me pretty much right where I want to be for my different spending categories. I started using the 50-30-20 budgeting system a few years back, but I've gradually changed from 30% wants and 20% savings to 20% wants and 30% savings.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

1) we used to play a lot of CoD together and it makes me happy to finally find out where you post but
2) Volvo does this also, and I really cannot say enough good things about the new line of Volvos starting with the S90/XC90 in 2016 and rolling out to include the V90 and so on going forward. I don't know what you're looking for, but if it's a luxury car and not a sports car, I think you could do a lot worse than Volvo. The interiors are as well appointed as I've ever experienced, the tech is A1, the autonomous driving scales from absolutely amazing (adaptive cruise etc.) to pretty cool future tech (highway "autopilot"). Plus instead of being in Germany you get to go to Sweden!

I am a doctor IRL? Nice! What's up man?

I like some of the Volvos. My old boss had an XC90 that was very, very nice. But they don't offer a discount on their cars like the other programs do. I priced out the Audi S5, MB C-class coupe, and BMW 4 series/M4 and the discounts range anywhere from 5%-10% off a lower MSRP price than US MSRP.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
End of Q2 update:

Goals for 2017:
On track. Right now I'm contributing post-tax with an automatic transfer every 2 weeks when I get paid, but I'll probably switch over to payroll deductions next year. Either way, I'm maxing out my contributions for 2017

On track. Contributions are split up into monthly recurring transfers to hit the max amount by the end of the year.

Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second.
Done, $2,500 chillin' in an Ally account collecting interest

Done, $10,000 chillin' in an Ally account collecting interest

Compromise! 12.5% puts me at my savings goal of 30% of net pay, so thats where it will stay for now.

Fail. I bought lame house poo poo and saved the rest

Weihnachten in Berlin! Christkindlmarkt und Glühwein für alle!

So much fail. Not only did I not sell my first one, I bought another one.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rocks posted:

edit: oh and here's a snippet from a check i wrote, one i'll definitely never forget

How much horse equity is that?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
End of Q3 updates

DJCobol posted:

Max out HSA contributions of $3,400 - On track with monthly contributions. Right now I'm contributing post tax and taking the deduction on my taxes, next year it will be pre-tax payroll deductions.
Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,500 - On track with bi-weekly transfers to match my pay periods from work.
Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second - Completed earlier this year.
Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job - Completed earlier this year.
Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time) - Halfway there, upped it to 12.5% after I got my tax return back. Planning on upping it to fully max out my 401(k) next year.
Spend tax return on hookers and blow in Vegas - Fail. Bought stupid house stuff
Vacation to a continent that isn't North America - On track. Berlin is still booked for Christmas, and Dubai is suddenly in play as well.
Sell my current motorcycle - Fail. loving motorcycles.

One extra bit to add:
Bought a new-ish car. The transmission on my old one was on its way out, and I had gotten way more out of it than what I originally paid for it, so I picked up a 2015 Ford Edge Sport. Between my trade in and a cash down payment, my monthly payments are still totally within a reasonable amount for my 50-30-20 budget, and my insurance actually went down. Came with a 5 year/100k MaxCare warranty so for the next 5 years I only have to worry about gas, oil changes, and tires. :feelsgood:

Edit: Roth contribution limit is $5,500 not $5,000. Still on track with bi-weekly transfers.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 11, 2017

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got engaged woo
Plan wedding substantive stuff is done

Congrats!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread.

I'll try to put one together tonight.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Sheesh, you guys are worse than the Christmas music before Thanksgiving people! It's still November! 2017!

(I also support a 2018 thread, I just probably won't post in it until then)

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now, and my tree has been up since last weekend.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Deck the halls motherfuckers. Get in that Christmas spirit!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842261

2018 thread up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nope, just over 30 simple speeding on open interstate in good conditions. My state wouldn't play ball on the ticket, it stunk.

Your state sucks since all there is to do on a flat, corn-lined interstate is speed like crazy. I drove from Des Moines to Omaha once and I don't think I ever went less than 85.

• Locked thread