Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

1) we used to play a lot of CoD together and it makes me happy to finally find out where you post but
2) Volvo does this also, and I really cannot say enough good things about the new line of Volvos starting with the S90/XC90 in 2016 and rolling out to include the V90 and so on going forward. I don't know what you're looking for, but if it's a luxury car and not a sports car, I think you could do a lot worse than Volvo. The interiors are as well appointed as I've ever experienced, the tech is A1, the autonomous driving scales from absolutely amazing (adaptive cruise etc.) to pretty cool future tech (highway "autopilot"). Plus instead of being in Germany you get to go to Sweden!

What's up former MW goons. Maybe we can go play Hush sometime and relive of days of spamming various soundboards through XBL. GT was TraderStavros if you recall.

Now my post vvvvv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Missed the start of the year so will kick it off now. Here is where we were at on December 31. Will post an update in the next day or so.

Current Figures
Emergency Fund: $1K
Current Salary $112K + 15% variable comp
Monthly Savings Rate: $ -
401k $61K
Retirement Accounts $91K
Unvested Perf. Shares $27.5K - ~12% of my comp is paid out in after-tax performance shares that vest after a few years. First payout is 2018
529s $40K
House $306K
Mortgage $(202K)
Student Loan $(31K)
Auto Loan $(20K)
HELOC $(6.5K) - Furnace/AC replacement last summer, being paid off with March bonus/tax check
0% Credit Card $(800) - Cursed impulse purchase, done with these purchases
Net Worth: $265K - Excludes working capital like checking accounts

Goals
Increase Emergency Fund to 1 month after-tax income - $6K (on fence to include YNAB categories or not... I sock away a lot for expenses that occur infrequently like insurance, travel soccer for my son, etc.)
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $250/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects)
Increase 401k Match to 3% by year-end - pulled out on this as we weren't saving each month and burning cash to get stability Increase taxable investment rate to 3% by year-end - Goal is to bring in some investment income that I can tap into before age 59.5
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $250/mo in income
Question all assumptions and look for opportunities to make big headway - I have some ideas that I'll share when I get them fully formed

Stretch Goals
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $500/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects)
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $500/mo in income
Increase Emergency Fund to 2 month income - $12K

We have been 'budgeting' for years. But it's more like we've been tracking in YNAB since 2011 and not holding to our budget. At the end of the year my wife and I finally got on the same page and decided to start approaching our finances correctly and are already making great headway in Jan/Feb. With some different changes we have made and are about to make, on top of an upcoming raise I think we are on the brink of being able to achieve the first monthly savings goal pretty quickly.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

January Update

2017 Goals
Increase Emergency Fund to 1 month after-tax income - $6K - Up to $1,700
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $250/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) - Saved $311 this month!
Increase 401k Match to 3% by year-end - No movement, waiting to free up more cash flow / get annualraise
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $250/mo in income Pursuing options and vetting ideas
Question all assumptions and look for opportunities to make big headway - Got some movement on this that will free up >$400 a month in cash flow! Will share details shortly

Stretch Goals
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $500/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects)
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $500/mo in income
Increase Emergency Fund to 2 month income - $12K

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A little late on this month, but here we go.

February Update

2017 Goals
Increase Emergency Fund to 1 month after-tax income - $6K - Up to $1,500 (had to pull a little to cover the overspending this month)
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $250/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) - Overspent by $274 this month. Lots of family birthdays and Valentines day threw the budget off. This has not been an uncommon occurrence in our budget life. Which we need to change!
Increase 401k Match to 3% by year-end - No movement, waiting to free up more cash flow / get annual raise
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $250/mo in income - Cranking up travel hacking hobby which will on average produce around $150-200 per month throughout the year after paying annual fees and other expenses. Brought in $57 this month (not included in above number, keeping all the funds internal to pay for future expenses for it)
Question all assumptions and look for opportunities to make big headway - I'm certain that this will be a controversial topic, but after much deliberation my wife and I decided to repurpose our children's 529 plans to cover some of the outstanding debt that we have that is preventing us from making headway each month. By doing so, we are able to free up :siren: $550/month :siren: which we absolutely cannot and will not use for lifestyle inflation. The main idea we had was that the stronger we get now the more able we will be able to cash flow their college if needed. The future is bright for my income at my company over the next ten years so we'll likely be able to replenish the funds anyway. It felt awkward to be continuing to pay down my own college education while struggling to save for theirs.

Stretch Goals
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $500/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) -
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $500/mo in income -
Increase Emergency Fund to 2 month income - $12K -

Looking ahead to March, this will be an interesting month. This is the month that tax returns and my annual bonus hit our budget as well as we are taking a family vacation to Disney World (60% already paid for out of my wife's side business). I put into place the cash flow saving ideas but those will really hit in April. Should start seeing aggressive saving then!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 20, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not keeping up with regularly updates, but here's as ad-hoc:

2017 Goals
Increase Emergency Fund to 1 month after-tax income - Up to 25%. Balancing paying down some debt and building this up.
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $250/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) - At 3% of take-home. Getting to 4% will hit this goal. Each month I'm ratcheting it up while we tighten the budget
Increase 401k Contribution to 3% by year-end - Completed. Like the savings, ratcheting this up each month.
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $250/mo in income - Pause on this. Work is all encompassing right now.
Pay down all variable interest debt (HELOC: ~$6K) - On track, will be down to $1K at the end of the month and should be able to knock it out before year end

Stretch Goals
Increase Monthly Savings rate to 5% (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) -
Increase 401k contribution to 5% by year-end -
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $500/mo in income -
Increase Emergency Fund to 2 month income - $12K -

Wife and I got really serious about making inroads on our savings/goals. Have a lot of momentum right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm ready for the 2018 goals thread. I sketched mine out during a meeting the other day and very happy that they're building on my 2017 goals instead of starting from scratch. What a good feeling to have the visible improvement YoY!

• Locked thread