Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

discworld is all I read posted:

There's actually a good reason to blow up brown chests in the Supply Drop update. A very good reason but it's a secret.

To be fair, it's only really worth it if you're dedicating a run to it and destroying just about every chest you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

White Coke posted:

I propose the ultimate challenge: Scruffy must open every brown chest he finds!

As an added condition, he must destroy every other quality of chest he comes across.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Just finished this run (had to get the picture before the actual end of the run because I was going to kill a past)

This is the most poo poo I've ever had in a single run by a large amount. Just crazy amounts of stuff.

Was this a clone run or did you just get a crazy amount of chest drops at the end of rooms or something? Hell, you were one piece away from transforming into Cormorant which I've never managed to do in over 120 hours of play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I know one of those awkward guns that I just super love seeing is the alien engine. Extremely short range and super awkward to use but it absolutely tears through your normal rooms, with a bit of practice you can use the recoil from firing it intentionally well and do it and run attacks fairly safely.

Heavy boots will also remove the recoil entirely, so you can walk right up to enemies and melt them without blasting yourself around the room. Most of the "unusable" guns have some sort of synergy that will make them good, even the pea shooter.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Eh, I knew I should have just called it "The Dumb Alphabet Gun" instead. It was hilarious to use at first and it carries an ungodly amount of ammo, but I was spending so much time pulling the trigger that even the "BLAM" that pops out of bullet impacts started to lose its charm. I think finding out that it did so little after fighting Gatling Gull may have been what soured me so much, though...

Just wait. Once you fully complete the elevator challenges and beat the boss rush, you unlock an active item that has synergy with the Lower Case R and boosts its damage by an incredible 25%.

Also hunter is the best character by far. The only time I ever play anyone else is if I'm forcing myself to play someone else due to playing the hunter so much.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Atomikus posted:

Try a Ring of Triggers with a Makeshift Cannon and a jetpack. That is some hot bullshit right there.

Haven't unlocked the Makeshift Cannon, but from the Wiki it looks like it would probably one-shot a boss. Does anyone in this thread actually have it unlocked? I've played this game to the point that I've unlocked everything besides the last few hunting quest guns and am still only part way through the one that requires me to kill 30 Shelletons. Did people actually grind out that quest using the shortcuts or just use a cheat engine or something?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

^^^^^
e: That text fuzz is weird and shouldn't be happening. Another site suggested adding "-force-d3d9" to the launch options in Steam to force it to run DirectX 9 which might fix it. Otherwise do the usual suggestion and update your graphics drivers.

Olesh posted:

As tedious as the hunting quests are to intentionally unlock, I find them less egregious than the elevator because you don't do anything special for the hunting quests. You just kill monsters, and you'll eventually come across the things the hunting quest wants for you to kill.

You can use the shortcut to speed it up if you know what floor certain enemies appear on, but really, unless you're desperately trying to 100% the game as fast as possible, think of the hunting quests as less of a specific goal and more of "a thing unlocks after you play enough".

I'll finish them eventually, it just seems like a much more long-term quest than anything else in the game. If they all tracked simultaneously it would go relatively quickly, but only starting to count the kills once you've finished one part of the quest means it's going to take a really long time through normal play. You're likely to still have a few guns left to unlock even if you've long since completed everything else the game has to offer.

Kind of a good thing I guess, otherwise right now I would be at the point where there's no longer any sense of working towards anything. Besides the hunting quests the only achievements I have left are the one for killing enemies with chandeliers (moving very slowly towards complete) and the one for killing enemies while riding a mine cart (I will probably never get this).

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 8, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Olpainless posted:

Grind, grind, and grind again.

And I've unlocked almost everything bar a couple of items from Supply Drop that require killing certain enemies a lot of times, with a 51/51 achievement count.

Yeah, I decided to actually focus on grinding the hunt items and it's not that bad if you're committed to it. For something like Shelletons it would take a really long time if you're just playing normally. You probably won't always make it to the fourth floor, and if you do it will only get you one or two per run since you won't be cheesing the summoners for more. When you start taking the shortcut down and looking for them specifically it doesn't take all that long. Shroomers weren't hard to finish off either once I started hunting them on the fifth floor instead of going to the Oubliette.

Only ones left to do are the weapons for hunting the Kill Pillars and Dragun, but I figure I'll just get those through normal play since I don't want to bother with hunting them.

Haven't found the Makeshift Cannon in a chest yet but the Shellegun was kind of a letdown really. I was expecting something really powerful but instead it's just a decent weapon with a somewhat inconvenient transformation aspect.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Casey is the best thing added to the game in the Supply Drop update. I just finished a run where I got so much curse the Lord of the Jammed showed up, and was still destroying entire rooms full of jammed enemies with that bat down on the fifth floor. Had bonus damage from Stout Bullets, and could one-shot a jammed Spectral Gun Nut with it. It's an absolute beast of a weapon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Samovar posted:

I'm going to say this straight up; but not go into too much detail because it hasn't actually been shown off - I despise the second special level. Not just for its hardness, but for the fact that it unlocks an item that I think is the worst item in the whole game. I am honestly of the opinion that even if you get it for nothing, you shouldn't pick that item up.

It has some really specific uses. As far as I know, none of these have been patched out.

- Can teleport through locked doors
- Can teleport behind Wallmonger out of reach of all his attacks
- Can use it to find secret rooms without spending ammo, since the cursor will be grey if you're hovering over the part that can be destroyed

It also increases reload speed, but that's not enough to make it worth picking up. You can't even sell the drat thing to the sewer creep for some arbitrary reason. The only item less useful is probably the Cartographer's Ring, but at least you can sell that to the creep.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Thanks for the great LP - it helped me achieve my first victory against the Dragun! Well, that and a rainbow chest, anyway. Unfortunately I have a terrible track record against Wallmonger - I can get to him while only taking a couple hits total, but the last time I fought him he took me straight from 5 hearts and an armor to 0. Am I missing something about the fight, or is it really just that more "get good at reading the bullets" than anything else in the game?

The most important part is that when it fires the big wall of bullets on either side, it's just wide enough that you can roll through it. Try to stick to one side and avoid going through the column of fire it spawns in the middle periodically, it will save you from having to panic roll into a bullet while trying to put out the fire. Unless of course you get something that makes you immune to fire, in which case stand right in the middle and shoot at him since there are fewer bullets in that area to worry about.

Once you get used to dodging through the wall of bullets it's probably the easiest of the floor 4 bosses. High Priest is the real problem, I don't really have any tips for that battle besides hoping you have some good items by the time you get there.

e: Best part is that the Dragun has set modifiers, so you get those two every time. Had a bunch of runs before I finally beat it where I would get to the Dragun and then take two hits in succession to throw away an otherwise good run. Still never playing that mode again.
vvvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 15, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

So...Protip: Don't open glitchy chests

I don't know what the actual chances of seeing one are, I'm guessing low. Like 1% kind of low. It's a bad time.

It wouldn't be so bad, but every glitch chest I've ever found has spawned on the first floor before you really have anything to deal with what happens if you open it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Skrewtape posted:

When you come across a mimic with a fuse, what happens if you let the fuse burn all the way down?

It explodes, killing the mimic and destroying the item inside.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

You use the Wax Wings to cheat at Winchesters game and get the BSG, a gun which kills every enemy in the room with a single shot. You then proceed to clear every room down to the Dragun with the Witch Pistol. You then go down to Bullet Hell, openly state that it's not the place to conserve your ammo needlessly, then proceed to clear it out with all your guns other than the BSG besides one or two rooms.

Why must you do this? It's like getting Gunther out of a chest and then finishing the rest of the game with your starter pistol.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

The best thing I can think of to describe it is this:
Jade Star is doing XCOM 2 and he usually doesn't use a lot of his shitwrecker options. He calls it Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. As soon as you use your shitwrecker option, something will come along that will make you wish you saved it.

Saving your trump card for a moment where it will do the best good feels really good, until you die before you can use your trump card. I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT POINT YET.

Sort of like me having an inventory full of megalixirs at the end of any given Final Fantasy game, then. Thing is, the BSG isn't really good against the giant threatening enemies and really shines clearing out giant rooms full of relatively weak enemies. I get why you're doing it, but it's not going to stop me from yelling at my screen when you're in that Bullet Hell room with every different type of Blobulon and using everything but the one option you have that would kill everything immediately.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

The Huntsman is probably the closest you're gonna get to a straight-up Nomura Brand Nonsense gunblade. There are a couple other melee weapons that haven't been discussed yet: one of them is much like Blasphemy, while the other one... well, it might be my favorite weapon in the game and I'm desperately hoping Scruffy gets ahold of it just to show it off. :getin:

If the Supply Drop Update had added nothing else but the weapon you're referring to, it would still be a good update. If I see it on a run I'll buy it every time, then probably die somewhere in Bullet Hell because I'm still trying to clear everything using only that weapon even though it's a really bad idea.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Samovar posted:

Is there an unlock for a cursed run?

Not specifically, but there's an unlock for killing a cursed boss which doesn't happen unless you have a lot. I don't think Scruffy has done it yet but I might be forgetting. Also an achievement for getting max curse, at which point something special happens.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Cartographer's Ring and Bloodied Scarf in one run. If they threw in a Ruby Bracelet you could have had the trifecta of useless garbage.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Does the robots electricity combo as hilariously as I think it does with water based weapons like barrel of fish/super soaker?

Yes. With the super soaker you can spray a 360 degree stream around yourself and electrify the entire room.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Samovar posted:

What's the maximum number of gluon stones one can have?

From last page, but there's no max as far as I can tell. There's a Gungeon mod you can download which lets you use console commands for any item you want, and you can give yourself enough guon stones that they form a complete circle around you and no bullets can get through.

Giving yourself 100 wolves and a Battle Standard is also good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lord of the Jammed doesn't deal contact damage, it's just the occasional wave of bullets you have to worry about. You can also buy stuff from a shopkeeper if you're fast enough and purchase the item before he enters the room, they hide and take down all their items as soon as he shows up rather than when he fires a wave at you. Spending another 40 at the shrine probably would have been your best bet since all the stores are basically unusable once LotJ shows up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Not sure who these people are that don't like Casey, but I hope to never meet them.

Now that you have Mod the Gungeon, an all passive run would be good. Play it like a normal run, but every time you open a chest and it gives you a gun or active item, ignore it and spawn chests of the same rarity until one of them gives you a passive.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

I want to see how many glass guon stones it takes to make the game break completely.

Based on my testing, somewhere between 1,000 and 10,000. After 1000 it was running at about 1 FPS, when I tried 10,000 the console seemed to hang indefinitely and I had to force quit out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe they nerfed muscle relaxants. That's such an edge case and the guns it modifies aren't even that good. Why would they do that? What do they have against fun?

Muscle relaxant was hilariously overpowered. Especially on Hunter, suddenly having your crossbow do 3x as much damage meant it would one-shot just about anything all the way down to the forge. Even after being nerfed, a 50% damage bonus on a good number of weapons is great and it still increases accuracy a bunch if you don't have one of them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

IMJack posted:

I killed the Pilot's past last night, hoping if I could see Ammonomicon entries for his ship's guns and missile pod (there are none). I wonder if you could cheat yourself those weapons and the ship transformation. Start the game as that, maybe add Wingman, and pick up no other items throughout the run. Call it "Honey, I Shrunk Our Ship".

Not sure if they patched it, but there used to be a bug where you would still be the ship if you did a quick restart during the Pilot's past. I think the game was predictably glitchy if you did it though, I doubt you could use the trick as a gimmick for a complete run even if they didn't fix it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

You could have gone way more overpowered with six items, but I guess it's better to take a few general powerups like Riddle of Lead and still leave some semblance of challenge. Once you have something like Ring of Triggers + Railgun + Sense of Direction, the game is kind of a joke.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Presenting: My proudest video game screenshot

This was from shortly after the Supply Drop update released, before they nerfed Challenge Mode. The Lich had three modifiers for each phase, which changed between phases. There were some more items than what's shown there, the Owl being one of the more important ones.

Challenge mode is hosed up bullshit and I haven't touched it since I beat it even though it's different now. No way in hell I'm even trying double challenge mode. Been looking forward to this video for a while and it will be neat to see how you handle it once I'm home from work.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Surprised you made it to the Dragun given how boned you got on items in general. Not sure I agree with destroying green chests to power up Junkan, but you were scraping by anyway having to use garbage weapons like the Corsair. They buffed it a while ago so that shots curve towards enemies whereas before they just went straight and bounced around, but it still does low damage and isn't the sort of thing you want during the hassle of challenge mode. It's only worth using if you can also get the synergy with the Balloon Gun, really. Buying the glass guon stone was an obvious mistake but you ended up dying to the Dragun high stress combo anyway so I doubt it would have mattered much what you did before that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Good LP, I agree that it's a good time to end things since there isn't much left to see. Glad you showed off the Railgun + Ring of Triggers + Sense of Direction combo I posted a few pages back, it's one of the more laughably overpowered combos even if there's an internal cooldown on the ring. Makeshift Cannon and Corsair was good as well for obliterating bosses, the Yari Launcher is the other weapon that ignores boss armor but it's not nearly as dramatic.

Devolver have said they plan to work on another, more complete expansion for Gungeon in the future which will have much more content than the supply drop update. Maybe we'll get some more videos whenever that happens.

• Locked thread