Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Vexrm posted:

So the poo enemies now seem to drop corn? That pops when you shoot it?

Does it do anything else? I didn't notice that before.

I'm still mystified. It looks like a little yellow skeleton in red shorts to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm still mystified. It looks like a little yellow skeleton in red shorts to me.

Baby Shelleton?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you still get casings if you teleport out before they can fly into you?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm going to say this straight up; but not go into too much detail because it hasn't actually been shown off - I despise the second special level. Not just for its hardness, but for the fact that it unlocks an item that I think is the worst item in the whole game. I am honestly of the opinion that even if you get it for nothing, you shouldn't pick that item up.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Samovar posted:

I'm going to say this straight up; but not go into too much detail because it hasn't actually been shown off - I despise the second special level. Not just for its hardness, but for the fact that it unlocks an item that I think is the worst item in the whole game. I am honestly of the opinion that even if you get it for nothing, you shouldn't pick that item up.

Why do you hate style

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
can't talk about controller setups, but that item is the poo poo with KB+M, lets you get past locked doors and stuff, and combined with the watch, you're literally untouchable

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Samovar posted:

It has some really specific uses. As far as I know, none of these have been patched out.

- Can teleport through locked doors
- Can teleport behind Wallmonger out of reach of all his attacks
- Can use it to find secret rooms without spending ammo, since the cursor will be grey if you're hovering over the part that can be destroyed

It also increases reload speed, but that's not enough to make it worth picking up. You can't even sell the drat thing to the sewer creep for some arbitrary reason. The only item less useful is probably the Cartographer's Ring, but at least you can sell that to the creep.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Vexrm posted:

So the poo enemies now seem to drop corn? That pops when you shoot it?

Does it do anything else? I didn't notice that before.

Those little corn guys have a chance to spawn when a poopulon is killed. They don't do anything.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
BTW Scruffy, I've watched Northernlion play a few runs of this game back in the day, and I seem to remember that you get something if you destroy the skull of the high dragun after you kill it. I'll have to go back and double check though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

ManlyGrunting posted:

BTW Scruffy, I've watched Northernlion play a few runs of this game back in the day, and I seem to remember that you get something if you destroy the skull of the high dragun after you kill it. I'll have to go back and double check though.

iirc the only thing you can get is the Obsidian Shell Casing, part of the bullet to kill the past

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It has some really specific uses. As far as I know, none of these have been patched out.

- Can teleport through locked doors
- Can teleport behind Wallmonger out of reach of all his attacks
- Can use it to find secret rooms without spending ammo, since the cursor will be grey if you're hovering over the part that can be destroyed

It also increases reload speed, but that's not enough to make it worth picking up. You can't even sell the drat thing to the sewer creep for some arbitrary reason. The only item less useful is probably the Cartographer's Ring, but at least you can sell that to the creep.

I think it's more a reflex problem than a 'this is actually bad' problem. Said item, as far as I can tell, has literally zero recovery time and gives you iframes and a short range bullet clear upon reappearing. The thing is that it behaves very differently from the standard dodgeroll (and has its secondary aimed effect) which means your muscle memory is probably fighting against you when you get it. As a bonus, because it's a randomly spawned item that you have no guarantees of getting, you won't be able to get much practice with it. The margin of error on the item's blink is actually greater than the dodgeroll's, because if you end on a bullet with a dodgeroll you take a hit, while you clear all bullets in a fairly close range when you reappear using it.

I feel that it would be much better if there was some way to start a run with a certain item using Hegemony Credits, because it's definitely an item which seems like it would only be good when you got used to the unique mechanics.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

senrath posted:

Those little corn guys have a chance to spawn when a poopulon is killed. They don't do anything.

Don't do anything is great! I assume they will block a bullet, but that's not a big deal.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

MJ12 posted:

I feel that it would be much better if there was some way to start a run with a certain item using Hegemony Credits, because it's definitely an item which seems like it would only be good when you got used to the unique mechanics.

Just going to chime in and say that I've wanted a feature like this for a while. I've got a whole truckload of these credits at this point and nothing to spend them on other than dice runs.

Dice runs are... well we will get to it when we get to it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Vexrm posted:

Don't do anything is great! I assume they will block a bullet, but that's not a big deal.

Yeah, they'll block a shot or two. Otherwise they just wander around and be one of the oddly cute things in this game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The big question is:

Is there a limit to how many times you can use spice?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, you'll only find a finite number of Spice on any given run, so I guess that's the limit.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

MJ12 posted:

I think it's more a reflex problem than a 'this is actually bad' problem. Said item, as far as I can tell, has literally zero recovery time and gives you iframes and a short range bullet clear upon reappearing. The thing is that it behaves very differently from the standard dodgeroll (and has its secondary aimed effect) which means your muscle memory is probably fighting against you when you get it. As a bonus, because it's a randomly spawned item that you have no guarantees of getting, you won't be able to get much practice with it. The margin of error on the item's blink is actually greater than the dodgeroll's, because if you end on a bullet with a dodgeroll you take a hit, while you clear all bullets in a fairly close range when you reappear using it.

I think if the short range blink triggered quicker, like a dodge roll (and you can short-range blink, just pretend you're rolling!) it wouldn't be as bad either, but the timing itself changes, and THAT screws you more than anything.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Shei-kun posted:

The big question is:

Is there a limit to how many times you can use spice?

Apparently not. As [REDACTED] doesn't have their health changed by it, if you don't mind the growing curse you can turn into a truly scary damage dealer if you just kept taking it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Even if you are not playing the secret character in question you can't actually die by taking spice, you'll only have the one heart container but you can still keep eating spice. Shot spread continues to increase as you eat spice which dampens the extra damage somewhat if you don't have the right types of guns but the practical limit to a maximum spice playthrough's spice consumption comes from curse - an enemy we haven't seen yet only shows up once you hit 10 curse and simply put it makes the entire rest of the Gungeon extremely unsafe on top of curse's effects on chests and item drops. You can't eat more spice if you're dead after all!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of, I think it's about time to do a full curse run, Scruff. You should show off what the game does to you.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can't Junior 2 dig up Spice?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, apparently Gun Reaper can get jammed. That's neat. I mean, I know anyone can get jammed, but to see it...

I have a question about two things we haven't seen in the LP yet, specifically, but it is just item stuff. Does the Rad Gun synergize with the Cog of War?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Cog is a passive that adds a little tick mark to your reload bar. If you click reload or fire when the line gets to the mark, you get a bonus to damage and possibly fire speed (and a faster reload too, I guess). As long as you keep reloading and getting the timing right, you keep the bonus

The Rad Gun is a gun that wears sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap. It has this gimmick baked into it, but each successive good reload increases the bonus. I don't know the numbers, but it does get faster/more powerful up to at least 3 levels. The bonus timing also gets faster as you go up in levels.

It's not great for boss fights, as I tend to need to focus on other things like not getting hit, but if that stacks I can only imagine the bonus.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cog and Rad stack, yes.

Also, scruffy, you keep calling the Dark Marker the wrong name.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Started bullet shark hunt and found one (1) in 5 runs.

gently caress you too game.

CzarChasm posted:

So, apparently Gun Reaper can get jammed. That's neat. I mean, I know anyone can get jammed, but to see it...

I have a question about two things we haven't seen in the LP yet, specifically, but it is just item stuff. Does the Rad Gun synergize with the Cog of War?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Cog is a passive that adds a little tick mark to your reload bar. If you click reload or fire when the line gets to the mark, you get a bonus to damage and possibly fire speed (and a faster reload too, I guess). As long as you keep reloading and getting the timing right, you keep the bonus

The Rad Gun is a gun that wears sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap. It has this gimmick baked into it, but each successive good reload increases the bonus. I don't know the numbers, but it does get faster/more powerful up to at least 3 levels. The bonus timing also gets faster as you go up in levels.

It's not great for boss fights, as I tend to need to focus on other things like not getting hit, but if that stacks I can only imagine the bonus.

Not sure about them stacking, but Rad Gun is really good room cleaner -- if you do 4 reloads before going into a room, you get magazine full of one shot kill for 3 or 4 floors and it has enough ammo that the 4 bullets don't hurt your supply much.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

I believe the Rad Gun can stack up its power infinitely, but reloading past 5 or 6 is pretty much a chore. It is a really good room clearing weapon, fire off a few shots and reload up to four before you start a new room and watch the fireworks fly. If you can manage to get up to 8 reloads the damage gets downright insane.

There's not a specific synergy between the two like there is for having Trashcannon and Junk, but the two do have mechanical effects that will occur together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xarn posted:

Started bullet shark hunt and found one (1) in 5 runs.

gently caress you too game.

I'm on that too. Are bullet sharks just the big ones or do the small count?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I'm on that too. Are bullet sharks just the big ones or do the small count?

Both big and small ones count for that hunting quest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I checked the wiki re: Frifle's quests, and a fair number of them have a pool of enemies that grant progress. Blobulon includes all of the large-size blobs, pretty much, for example. Higher tier versions of the same enemy count, basically.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, it counts both. 6 runs (2 all the way to bullet hell), 2 sharks -- 1 large, 1 small.

This is getting dumb.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks for the great LP - it helped me achieve my first victory against the Dragun! Well, that and a rainbow chest, anyway. Unfortunately I have a terrible track record against Wallmonger - I can get to him while only taking a couple hits total, but the last time I fought him he took me straight from 5 hearts and an armor to 0. Am I missing something about the fight, or is it really just that more "get good at reading the bullets" than anything else in the game?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Prop Wash posted:

Thanks for the great LP - it helped me achieve my first victory against the Dragun! Well, that and a rainbow chest, anyway. Unfortunately I have a terrible track record against Wallmonger - I can get to him while only taking a couple hits total, but the last time I fought him he took me straight from 5 hearts and an armor to 0. Am I missing something about the fight, or is it really just that more "get good at reading the bullets" than anything else in the game?

The most important part is that when it fires the big wall of bullets on either side, it's just wide enough that you can roll through it. Try to stick to one side and avoid going through the column of fire it spawns in the middle periodically, it will save you from having to panic roll into a bullet while trying to put out the fire. Unless of course you get something that makes you immune to fire, in which case stand right in the middle and shoot at him since there are fewer bullets in that area to worry about.

Once you get used to dodging through the wall of bullets it's probably the easiest of the floor 4 bosses. High Priest is the real problem, I don't really have any tips for that battle besides hoping you have some good items by the time you get there.

e: Best part is that the Dragun has set modifiers, so you get those two every time. Had a bunch of runs before I finally beat it where I would get to the Dragun and then take two hits in succession to throw away an otherwise good run. Still never playing that mode again.
vvvv

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 15, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dragun Rage + High Stress.

The dice roll run does not even pretend to be fair. :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's too bad that Cursola didn't show up doing the spice run, because that would have been good time to do an impromptu curse run.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Had probably my best run so far. Made it to the Dragun for the first time (had only half a heart so died to his second attack. Oh well.)

Found my new favorite combination. Bouncing Bullets, fat bullets, with Crown of Guns. It basically turns you into a boss character, with omni directional firing with a single trigger pull, plus they have great distance, so they hit a wall and come back. It pretty much melted Treadnaught and Kill Pillars. All you have to really do is keep the attack held down and focus on dodging. No aiming needed. Plus a generous 3000+ magazine with no reloading means no need to let up.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Finally got all four past kills tonight, so the advice offered in the videos is obviously working. Now to hit a brick wall with Bullet Hell I suppose.

Shotgun Full of Hate is some, uh, real good times with Shock Rounds.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I did it! I beat a run with the scarf! Got it on the third floor. I dunno if this works for the mouse, but with a controller, if you release the aim stick and do a teleport, it will be a fixed distance roughly the same length as a normal dodge instead of futzing around with the phantom. As long as you can get used to briefly releasing the aim direction like that, it becomes a vastly superior dodge roll that also lets you go through walls or clear across the room.

Edit: The Dragun's fire wall actually becomes pretty funny because you can basically just make your own holes in it if you just keep dodging.

Edit 2: Decided to put it in spoilers because people had been intentionally vague about it earlier. Related to unlock from beating the second secret floor

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That sounds like it works quite a bit differently with K+M.

Anyway, almost got 5 master rounds, thanks to lucky AU gun find on floor 2, but I hosed up Dragun's 2nd phase. :suicide:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I deleted my commentary again but it shouldn't take so long to deal with it this time around, considering I have already recorded the extra commentary with a special friend!

But that's not this video! :v:

Cut Short/Polsy

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doggone it, Doug's name has a gun pun in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The chance to get items after clearing a room goes down by 1% per point of curse but the chance to get ammo after clearing a room goes up by 5% per point. Multiply 1 by both of those and you get a ~132% chance to find ammo after finishing a room for 9 curse (this is before the bonus for not finding anything after clearing a room, which stacks, factors in). Hunter is of course the best choice for an intentional curse run partly for starting with a gun that actually takes ammo but also because the crossbow paired with the silver bullets deals an extra 50% damage to jammed on top of the 225% extra damage you get out of silver bullets to begin with (for a whopping 337.5% more damage, more than enough to obliterate their extra health). That said it wouldn't be nearly as deadly exciting as watching you clear a cursed run with the Pilot so people probably aren't going to vote for it. :v:

• Locked thread