Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

The last several posts posted:

In-game strategies and synergies

I think it's working, Scruffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So here's a question. How does the game work with a controller? More standard top-down twin stick shooter, where your character aims in the direction you push the right stick?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
On sale for eight bucks?

Well god drat it, I can't not buy it...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I managed to get past the first floor on my first run, which honestly surprised me. Wound up with the Void Shotgun and the Lil' Bomber, which was interesting but unwieldy.

Then I had to turn the game off because I'm a working adult and can't stay up until 12 o'clock in the morning playing videogames like I could when I was twenty. :negative:

(The game was being pretty generous with ammo drops. Don't know if that's the Supply Drop update in effect, or if I was just lucky...)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lazy Bear posted:

Not mine, but a quick Google search brought this up:

I'm late on this, but how are you supposed to differentiate walls that aren't facing the in-game camera? It's easy to see on a north wall, but how is it visually represented on an east, south, or west wall?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it works this way on KB+M, but on a controller you can reload just by pulling the trigger when you've got an empty magazine. Saves having to take your finger off said trigger.

Only thing I haven't quite figured out is what to assign the map to... only button I've got left is down on the D-pad, which makes quick-selecting teleporters kinda difficult.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even ventured into The Gungeon Proper yet. Still in the deep freeze after my second run of the first floor, considerably less well-armed than my first go-around. We'll see how badly I get my rear end handed to me when I get off work this afternoon.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have a fairly good track record clearing the first floor, but floor two is pretty consistently wrecking my poo poo. My last run of it had Lead Maidens everywhere. :gonk:

On the other hand I've seen Gatling Gull, the Bullet Twins and King Bullet on the first floor and not died to any of them. So I've got that going for me, which is nice...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm getting progressively worse at the game as I play it, paradoxically.

I also had a run yesterday night wherein I found a black chest on floor one... in a secret room after I'd already cleared the rest of the floor (minus the boss), had no keys left, and not enough casings to get a key from the shop. :shepicide:

Thought perhaps the boss would drop a key, but I didn't live long enough to find out.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Hearing all these success(?) stories makes me feel like I've really accomplished something here :allears:

I've got the video and audio recorded for the next video, just need to find time to chop together the audio. It should be up in the next day or so! It's a real nailbiter of an episode!

Looking forward to it, Scruffy. I desperately need to watch someone better at this game than I, to cleanse my palate.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Glacier's actually automatic believe it or not, for a C rank and 45 casings base price it's really quite nice especially if you find it on the first floor. I don't know if you'd have gotten the Wallmonger on the ammo you had for it at the time but it deals 8 damage base + 6 for the explosion which is actually 5 more points of damage than the Void Marshal. It's 5x slower to shoot, sure, but you might not have taken that hit thanks to bullet destruction.

Glacier's one of my favorite guns so far. It carried me through my longest run yet (that is to say, getting the Beholster down to a sliver of health before eating a bullet myself).

As for guns that do and don't work, I'm starting to think of this game like Dark Souls, appropriately enough. You can make anything work, if you're good and/or persistent enough.

Edit: Or lucky enough. Can't forget plain old blind luck.

Apropos of nothing, I've had two runs in a row where I'm finding red chests in the Lair of the Lead Lord. :stare:

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 1, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just got done watching the video. The last fight pretty well sums up most of my boss fights...

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Man, I thought you had it. After all that Nikita bullshit and the accident of perfect aim on the Pilot...

How do remote bullets work in a twinstick mode, anyway?

Pretty much the same way. They turn whatever direction you're pushing the stick, and how far you push it determines how sharp they turn. If you let go, they stop turning.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Hunter definitely seems like the best starting character, at the very least. I've spent all my time with the game so far playing as her. Solid starting weapons and Junior is an animal (both literally and figuratively).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had to remind myself you're playing on a separate save file for the LP, there.

I got a Master Round for the first floor this morning, against the Bullet King. Of course then I died like three rooms into the second floor, and have spent the entire rest of my morning dying in multiple unceremonious ways before I can make any significant progress.

I got the loving Dueling Pistol as a drop from the floor one boss in my last run. I think the game is literally just taunting me at this point.

Edit: I say that, and then I have a run where I find the Red Guon Stone and Sniper Rifle on floor one and use it to trounce the Bullet King, find the Potion of Gun Friendship and the Magic Sweet and Hot Lead and the Blue Guon Stone on floor two, which allows me to clear the entire floor with the Rusty Sidearm and vaporize the Ammoconda with the Sniper Rifle. Then things proceed to get even more insane and I pick up the VertebraeK-47 as a drop from Ammoconda and proceed to decimate the entire third floor, including the Mineflayer.

I'm heading back into the game after a quick break. Buckle up...

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 5, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I have sort of noticed this game isn't really as heavy on the emphasis on the Active Use items, which i kind of appreciate. ONe less thing to worry about.

While that is true, it may lead one to forget to use the active items they do get (something Scruffy has noted a few times). Bit of a mixed bag in that respect.

Klaus88 posted:

I did it, I loving did it, I killed all the pasts! I took me 130ish deaths but I did it! Now I just need to conquer bullet hell. Joy.

I'm sitting on 40 deaths and I've only ever made it as far as the Hollow with one character. Sadly, by the time I got to the Kill Pillars (in that aforementioned insanely lucky run), I was completely out of ammo for absolutely every gun I had and down to one heart.

On the plus side, I can actually get to the mines every third run or so now.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That was a hell of a run, Scruffy. Can't wait for the next one.

...I really should not be surprised there's a proton pack in this game. Yet, here I am.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've found that I seem to be able to progress more consistently if I stick to the Hunter's starting weapons. I might break out a chest weapon against the bosses, but for the most part I can make it through the first two floors a lot easier with the Rusty Sidearm and the Crossbow. I think the Sidearm's damage falls off too much at the third floor to do the ENTIRE thing with it, though if I happen to pick up something like Fat Bullets or Gun Friendship I can stretch it out further.

I don't know what it is, but I just seem to struggle when I'm using other weapons, even if it's functionally similar stuff like Smiley's Revolver or what have you.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Very stylish Lich kill. The Sling does some impressive damage even when you aren't banking the shots, although I wonder how much of that was Silver Bullets.

And my god, the Witch Pistol looks powerful. It was still clearing rooms quickly even in Bullet Hell.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

The gunsword/revolversword is a neat touch. :3:

I think you mean "gunblade." :colbert: But yes that artwork is amazing.

Even when you're off your commentary game, Scruffy, you're still entertaining to listen to. Just putting that out there.

Now, I'm unclear on something. Every time you want to do a past, you have to buy the bullet that can kill the past, correct? But you only need to gather the materials for it the one time?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Everything gets me killed, sooner or later.

Glad to see you back, Scruffy. Not even for the LP update--which is always appreciated regardless--but it sounded like you were having a rough time. Good to know you're doing okay. :)

Kinda sucks about having no time off, though. I am not a military man, and yet I feel your pain.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Glacier has also carried me through my longest runs at this game (I think the one time I got down to the Forge was when the game gave me the Glacier early on).

I'll give you the Nailgun though; that was some hot bullshit.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Siren is another one of those guns that can carry me for a good long while.

Argh, I wish I had the reflexes for Gungeon. I love the game, but I'm absolutely terrible at it. I've died 60 times and haven't completed a single run.

Edit: I love the lowercase r conceptually, but it is hot garbage as you say. A gun that hilarious, they could at least make it useful.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 16, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

The Rad gun is super good and also really funny. It makes it one of the best guns in the game by far.

I just noticed the skateboard does a kickflip when you reload it, too. (Posted this before I heard Scruffy point it out in the video, obviously...)

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 17, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That video was absolutely magical, Scruffy. An obvious no-win situation, but oh my god, the suspense.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to challenges, Scattershot seems like it would be very good if you had, say, Remote Controlled Bullets to go with it.

Edit: Holy poo poo, the Super Meat Gun. :eyepop:

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 11, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That was amazing. I had a feeling Bullet Hell would be the death of you, but I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man, that Beholster combo you duct tape together is like the RYNO from Ratchet & Clank. It's hilarious and wonderful.

Thanks for showing off the game, Scruffy; it was a fun romp. I do love this game even if I'm terrible at it.

• Locked thread