Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just watched the race, both mains were much more exciting than last week, IMO. It looks like Dungey might have had a tiny bit more pace in the closing laps, but just couldn't get it done. Great racing from him and Roczen.

Here's the standings after two rounds

My perverse joy of seeing Webb struggle in the heats and main continues, he finished 14th. Truly earning that $2.5M/yr from Yamaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I thought these were really exciting races.

Our local boy, Jimmy D lead a lionshare of the 250 main event laps, which was really cool to see. Unfortunately, it's my opinion that that happened only because
1. Reardon, a 'B' rider somehow was 2nd around the first curve, and was riding really wide
2. The big boys were fighting eachother while trying to get around Reardon

Either way, it's his best career result. He said on FB he's super disappointed though.

I felt physical pain when Dungey set up Roczen on the last lap and make a mistake. I thought he had his number.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm wondering how much Hansen plowing into the start gate screwed J-Mart. He was right next to him, I'm not sure if it effects the nearby gates or it just made him flinch. Of course, J-Mart was like 20th on the first lap.

In other funny start shenanigans, Blake Baggett's loop out in the heat race looks like something I'd do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQlcK3QXfM

It really seems like the 250 class is wide open after the first two rounds, though McElrath's points lead is going to really help.

Dungey and Roczen being so close makes me hopefully it's going to be a good fight this year, they seem by far in their own league. I think maybe pure speed Anderson could be there with them if he gets a good start, but I don't know that he can keep their pace for 20+1.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Malcolm is back!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Headscratcher for my lineup, I'm not sure what the track conditions are, it was very wet this week apparently.

Roczen
Dungey
Musquin
Anderson
Seely
9: Bogle

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Headscratcher for my lineup, I'm not sure what the track conditions are, it was very wet this week apparently.

Roczen
Dungey
Musquin
Anderson
Seely
9: Bogle

Roczen
Dungey
Anderson
Seely
Musquin
Reed

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
:aaa:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pretty much. 250 class heating up and the 450 class is pretty much over.

I did not see that crash coming, I flinched bad.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

God damnit kenny/anderson.

I had Malcolm sitting in 9th (just like he was for sooo long), but he must have crashed because he finished in the back. Bummer.

Jimmy D. had a good start again in the 250 main. I was really hoping he'd get around Davalos to 5th, but he (again) stuck right in 6th place. I think he's been top Geico Honda finisher though, so that's not bad at least.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I made a gif

http://i.imgur.com/Qor9rMo.gifv

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't know much about dirt-bikin', but I can see the rear get kicked to the side a little and - to me - it looks like Roczen just did not expect that and panicked. I guess it also looks like his feet came off and he couldn't muscle it back into place.

Like that side movement in the air seems like nothing compared to if they were scrubbing or throwing a whip.

What a friggin' bummer for the series, for real.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I made another gif

http://i.imgur.com/gHoOUOs.gifv

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
More gifs please

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't know much about dirt-bikin', but I can see the rear get kicked to the side a little and - to me - it looks like Roczen just did not expect that and panicked. I guess it also looks like his feet came off and he couldn't muscle it back into place.

Like that side movement in the air seems like nothing compared to if they were scrubbing or throwing a whip.

What a friggin' bummer for the series, for real.

Doesn't the rear kick up and kick him off? Otherwise, no way his feet would be up in the air like that, I'd think.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I thought I saw a classic butt-slap kind of like a newbie trying to cross a log.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If anyone wants to know what the inside of Roczen's arm looks like, head over to instagram, good thing it's lunchtime :barf:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

If anyone wants to know what the inside of Roczen's arm looks like, head over to instagram, good thing it's lunchtime :barf:

Came to post this. I hope he recovers.

Dungey
Musquin (hey, look at my 1/2 for the next six races)
Anderson
Tomac (come on little guy, you can do it)
Seely
12 - Reed

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Canard
Webb

....Is Canard racing tomorrow or is he injured

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I switch between Reed and Millsaps for my wildcard, and it always seems to be the opposite of who I picked.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EX250 Type R posted:

Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Canard
Webb

....Is Canard racing tomorrow or is he injured

I think he's still injured and as much as I'd love it, he would not be in my top 5 :( Bogel is also injured if anyone was planning on using him.

Dungey
Anderson
Musquin
Tomac
Seely
12: Weimer

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I think he's still injured and as much as I'd love it, he would not be in my top 5 :( Bogel is also injured if anyone was planning on using him.

Dungey
Anderson
Musquin
Tomac
Seely
12: Weimer

Why Anderson over Musquin?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Why Anderson over Musquin?

I think the start is really long, Anderson seems to do well with those, like MEC 2015. I think he'll have extra motivation this week too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Watching live tonight. 450 heat 1: The Webb and Anderson blood feud may have just started! Ground floor!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Watching live tonight. 450 heat 1: The Webb and Anderson blood feud may have just started! Ground floor!

Same, for at least this much. That was great. I'm so excited for this.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
im watching right now, come to irc, we can party

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, I forgot to put pix in last night, but it wouldn't have mattered.

drat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EX250 Type R posted:

im watching right now, come to irc, we can party

Sorry I didn't end up checking the thread much after I posted and actually went to bed before the mains last night.

That was a cool track, it really looked like if you weren't quading those two(?) sections you were losing tons of time. Lot's of really good battles, though. Happy Eli finally got a win.

Cool Dungey power wheelie on lap one, that was a really good passing spot.
http://i.imgur.com/XwjCiE9.gifv

Standings: Looks like no real movement

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

Sorry I didn't end up checking the thread much after I posted and actually went to bed before the mains last night.

I was actually taunting BC because he quit IRC in a fit of roid rage and its about time for his return. So many topics to discuss with him >:O

I actually had
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Reed
Grant

before finalizing with
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Piecke
Webb

Could have been better but oh well, still in 2nd

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had a feeling coming into it that it was a race that Reed would randomly do well in, but I wasn't expecting a 2nd and beating Dungey. I wonder if Dungey is just gonna play it safe with Roczen out of the picture for a while.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I was actually taunting BC because he quit IRC in a fit of roid rage and its about time for his return. So many topics to discuss with him >:O

I actually had
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Reed
Grant

before finalizing with
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Piecke
Webb

Could have been better but oh well, still in 2nd

Gonna drive to your house and punch you like you were Vince Friese.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Gonna drive to your house and punch you like you were Vince Friese.

My 70 year old grandma is all aboard and full steam ahead on building a dirt track for the kids and cannot wait to break ground and start working as soon as the weather gets nice so you better get ready to give your city mouse son some country mouse friends to ride bieks with

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

My 70 year old grandma is all aboard and full steam ahead on building a dirt track for the kids and cannot wait to break ground and start working as soon as the weather gets nice so you better get ready to give your city mouse son some country mouse friends to ride bieks with

Just try me. I'll teach your daughter all the words to Hamilton.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Looks like Deano found himself a factory ride. I'm not sure he deserves it, but he seems like a cool dude, so I'll allow it.

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/dean-wilson-to-rockstar-energy-husqvarna/#CJHSOHZvOt4Wfmbu.97

Also, if you haven't seen some dipshit reporter asking Chad Reed if the injury of Roczen crowned Dungey the winner for this year, I suggest you watch the press conference from last week. It's glorious.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Looks like Deano found himself a factory ride. I'm not sure he deserves it, but he seems like a cool dude, so I'll allow it.

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/dean-wilson-to-rockstar-energy-husqvarna/#CJHSOHZvOt4Wfmbu.97

Whoa, cool for Deano. Bare minimum he's doing way better than Pourcell on a privateer bike, and brand that hasn't had much success lately no less. He should feel right at home on that Husky since it's basically the same bike as his KTM from last year.

Also, if you haven't seen some dipshit reporter asking Chad Reed if the injury of Roczen crowned Dungey the winner for this year, I suggest you watch the press conference from last week. It's glorious.

Yea, pretty stupidly worded question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNF0fQkvPuk

Rumors are that Reed has been unhappy with the bike and he finally convinced Yamaha to try <whatever>. I mostly just think that it was a track that suited him, just like it suited Tomac. The track map from this week looks like back to the usual baseball stadium track, no super-long rhythm sections or anything. I expect it to be back to normalish this week where Dungey wins, Marvin is closer, and Reed and Tomac are slightly further back. drat, last week was fun.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Rumors are that Reed has been unhappy with the bike and he finally convinced Yamaha to try <whatever>.

I've always found it interesting that the 250 is so dominant and the 450 is.... less so. This is even despite the 450 winning many magazine shootouts. I wonder what's up?

I've ridden a few days on the YZ250FX which shares a lot with the YZ250F, and it's a pretty drat slick machine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I've always found it interesting that the 250 is so dominant and the 450 is.... less so. This is even despite the 450 winning many magazine shootouts. I wonder what's up?

I've ridden a few days on the YZ250FX which shares a lot with the YZ250F, and it's a pretty drat slick machine.

More separation of talent at the 450 level and yamaha has olllllld chad reed and new webb vs. Dungey, Roczen (RIP), Tomac, Seely, Musquin, Anderson, etc who are all, arguably, way better riders and it's not like any of the factory bikes are bad. Like, nobody is running OEM suspension in these so who cares if the forks out of the box are better when you're putting in 5k worth of cone valves.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

More separation of talent at the 450 level and yamaha has olllllld chad reed and new webb vs. Dungey, Roczen (RIP), Tomac, Seely, Musquin, Anderson, etc who are all, arguably, way better riders and it's not like any of the factory bikes are bad. Like, nobody is running OEM suspension in these so who cares if the forks out of the box are better when you're putting in 5k worth of cone valves.

Not to go crazy off topic, but have you ever ran WP's with cone valves? I always wonder if A-Kit suspension is meaningful if you don't have an engineering to complete the package for you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Not to go crazy off topic, but have you ever ran WP's with cone valves? I always wonder if A-Kit suspension is meaningful if you don't have an engineering to complete the package for you.

No, but I really want to. I've heard it's supposed to be great. I would think it's the other way around though? Suspension always helps, but other stuff is really limited by being able to put power down without falling or slipping.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Apparently the 250 and 450 frame are the exact same unit. In an interview with Peick after A2, he said that the Yamaha (when JGR ran them) had a really narrow setup window. It was either great, or you were chasing a good setup. He said the Suzuki is much more predictable and consistent. On the Pulp show this week Grant Langston thought maybe the motor setup, which is apparently more centrally located, could be part of the problem.

Apparently the 2018 RMZ450 is being unveiled today on facebook, if anyone cares.

builds character posted:

More separation of talent at the 450 level and yamaha has olllllld chad reed and new webb vs. Dungey, Roczen (RIP), Tomac, Seely, Musquin, Anderson, etc who are all, arguably, way better riders and it's not like any of the factory bikes are bad.

I think this is mostly it. No real top-tier talent there for some time. I think I heard the last time Yamaha won a premier class supercross main event was with James Stewart or Josh Grant.

The guys at the very top of this sport are just plain better than the next tier of guys.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

No, but I really want to. I've heard it's supposed to be great. I would think it's the other way around though? Suspension always helps, but other stuff is really limited by being able to put power down without falling or slipping.

I went back and read what I wrote and jesus.... I spent too much time yesterday in mathmagic land and lost my brain.

What I meant to ask is, is A-Kit suspension any good unless you have an expert to set it up for you? I would love to see some comparisons from a mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I went back and read what I wrote and jesus.... I spent too much time yesterday in mathmagic land and lost my brain.

What I meant to ask is, is A-Kit suspension any good unless you have an expert to set it up for you? I would love to see some comparisons from a mag.

That's a fair question. I think probably not if they're using pro racer setup just because I don't need anything to deal with jumping 60 feet in the air or quadding anything, but I would think that whoever you get it from would talk with you about it and set it up accordingly. Either way, I still want it.

This week
Dungey
Musquin (I feel pretty meh about this)
Tomac (I think he's going to get a boost from his performance but still think Dungey is better)
Anderson (please try not to hit anyone this week)
Seely (I don't like this either but I don't know who to move down for him)
8th - Reed (old men get tired)

• Locked thread