Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You think Musquin and Tomac over Anderson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

braaaap, cant wait to come in not-last again!

bro did you even watch redbull straight rhythm?

Yes, that's how I know js7 is winning everything forever and an electric bike is going to finish 4th.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I always like being contrarian so I think Marvelous Marvin is going to shake it up over Kenny.

Great OP!

EDIT: Apparently there was a preview show today according to this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTIcMrT32Q

:sad:

dreesemonkey posted:

Just a gut feeling Marvin will do well this year and Tomac NEEDS to be in front of Anderson. But it could really go either way. I think those are the top 5 talents in the sport right now in whatever order you put them in.

I think Anderson has the highest likelihood of losing spots due to his aggressive riding, chances are he'll have beef with a rider or 3 this year and they'll constantly be taking each other out. I'd like to see him go at it with Cooper as a welcome to the 450 class, but that's just me being a jerk.

I just don't see what's changed from last year w/r/t Musquin or Tomac that would suggest they can consistently beat Anderson. Otherwise, yeah I think it's Dungey/Roczen at a clear 1/2 and then Anderson 3 with Tomac and then Musquin and those three rotating around in the bottom half of the top five with the occasional Chad Reed appearance. Extra laps is just going to make Dungey and Roczen even more better than everyone else.

Last year, nobody could catch Anderson even if they were mad at him. I really hope that he does something to make Cooper mad because when Webb sees red he doesn't care about anything else and switches from race mode to search and destroy mode and that would be hilarious (and well deserved). But, I agree that he's not going to do as well as everyone seems to think.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I don't think anything has necessarily changed, I just can't abide the molest-stache he's constantly rocking, so I choose to downplay him.

You should join the Webb-Anderson deathmatch bandwagon, then.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Dungey
Roczen
Tomac
Anderson
Musquin
7-Reed

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, I just have no idea who's going to come out strong so I figured Dungey was going to be pissed about all of Roczen's good publicity and missing outdoors so he'll want to prove he's still the champ. Then roczen is just good. After that? No idea.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Well, I got the top five correct, just all in the wrong order. Musquin, if you go sucking now you're dead to me.

Roczen looked great. I think it'll be tough to pick anyone else for first unless something goes wrong. Maybe if Dungey can get a better start he'll be more competitive, but it seemed like Roczen just pulled away this race and then kept pulling even when he and Dungey were both out front alone.

No surprise that Webb isn't setting the world on fire. It'll be interesting to see if he gets top 5 better or if he gets podium better because in 250s he did kind of just outlast people and here he'll be hard-pressed to do that. Why would you ever fight with Peick? Come on now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwNmNo5ce0

re: milsaps - nobody except the most popular internet radio show ever about supercross...

e:
RIP Canard. From the racerx preview:
Trey Canard: The rub with Canard is well-known—he’s ultra-fast, can win races, and can challenge for a championship as long as he’s able to avoid getting hurt, which has been an issue for him in the past. He’s on a new team now—Red Bull KTM—but recording 17 solid rounds needs to be the primary focus.

oops.

e2: a three piece suit has a waistcoat/vest. That's a regular suit.

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 9, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Don't pick Canard for anything the week, he's out with a shoulder injury (trying to carry the load of my expectations, no doubt)

I admit I never saw the original, but Honda had Kenny recreate MC's "Terrafirma" video using the same bike and wearing MCs pants. Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hUQdr8aYk

fiiiiine

Roczen
Dungey
Tomac
Anderson
Musquin
11-Webb

Now I'm rooting for Webb to get good enough so he can catch up with Anderson and they can fight each other to the death.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Headscratcher for my lineup, I'm not sure what the track conditions are, it was very wet this week apparently.

Roczen
Dungey
Musquin
Anderson
Seely
9: Bogle

Roczen
Dungey
Anderson
Seely
Musquin
Reed

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
:aaa:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
More gifs please

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't know much about dirt-bikin', but I can see the rear get kicked to the side a little and - to me - it looks like Roczen just did not expect that and panicked. I guess it also looks like his feet came off and he couldn't muscle it back into place.

Like that side movement in the air seems like nothing compared to if they were scrubbing or throwing a whip.

What a friggin' bummer for the series, for real.

Doesn't the rear kick up and kick him off? Otherwise, no way his feet would be up in the air like that, I'd think.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

If anyone wants to know what the inside of Roczen's arm looks like, head over to instagram, good thing it's lunchtime :barf:

Came to post this. I hope he recovers.

Dungey
Musquin (hey, look at my 1/2 for the next six races)
Anderson
Tomac (come on little guy, you can do it)
Seely
12 - Reed

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I think he's still injured and as much as I'd love it, he would not be in my top 5 :( Bogel is also injured if anyone was planning on using him.

Dungey
Anderson
Musquin
Tomac
Seely
12: Weimer

Why Anderson over Musquin?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Watching live tonight. 450 heat 1: The Webb and Anderson blood feud may have just started! Ground floor!

Same, for at least this much. That was great. I'm so excited for this.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I was actually taunting BC because he quit IRC in a fit of roid rage and its about time for his return. So many topics to discuss with him >:O

I actually had
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Reed
Grant

before finalizing with
Dungey
Musquin
Seely
Anderson
Piecke
Webb

Could have been better but oh well, still in 2nd

Gonna drive to your house and punch you like you were Vince Friese.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

My 70 year old grandma is all aboard and full steam ahead on building a dirt track for the kids and cannot wait to break ground and start working as soon as the weather gets nice so you better get ready to give your city mouse son some country mouse friends to ride bieks with

Just try me. I'll teach your daughter all the words to Hamilton.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I've always found it interesting that the 250 is so dominant and the 450 is.... less so. This is even despite the 450 winning many magazine shootouts. I wonder what's up?

I've ridden a few days on the YZ250FX which shares a lot with the YZ250F, and it's a pretty drat slick machine.

More separation of talent at the 450 level and yamaha has olllllld chad reed and new webb vs. Dungey, Roczen (RIP), Tomac, Seely, Musquin, Anderson, etc who are all, arguably, way better riders and it's not like any of the factory bikes are bad. Like, nobody is running OEM suspension in these so who cares if the forks out of the box are better when you're putting in 5k worth of cone valves.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Not to go crazy off topic, but have you ever ran WP's with cone valves? I always wonder if A-Kit suspension is meaningful if you don't have an engineering to complete the package for you.

No, but I really want to. I've heard it's supposed to be great. I would think it's the other way around though? Suspension always helps, but other stuff is really limited by being able to put power down without falling or slipping.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I went back and read what I wrote and jesus.... I spent too much time yesterday in mathmagic land and lost my brain.

What I meant to ask is, is A-Kit suspension any good unless you have an expert to set it up for you? I would love to see some comparisons from a mag.

That's a fair question. I think probably not if they're using pro racer setup just because I don't need anything to deal with jumping 60 feet in the air or quadding anything, but I would think that whoever you get it from would talk with you about it and set it up accordingly. Either way, I still want it.

This week
Dungey
Musquin (I feel pretty meh about this)
Tomac (I think he's going to get a boost from his performance but still think Dungey is better)
Anderson (please try not to hit anyone this week)
Seely (I don't like this either but I don't know who to move down for him)
8th - Reed (old men get tired)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
My dream of a Webb-Anderson feud is dead. RIP.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea that was fun chattin' with you dudes and having incorrect assumptions made about my marital status. A+++ would #bieks again.

Overall standings after 5 rounds. buildscharacter with a nice week shoots up to 2nd.

Oakland results:
buildscharacter - 69pts
rifkin (EX250 Type R?) - 44pts
dreesemonkey - 44pts
VTNewb (shacked up with Brenda?) - 15pts
Deeters - 15pts

My genius plan of getting 4, 5 and 8 right is working perfectly. The podium is for suckers.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That's great. Isn't his spine OK so he'll probably (eventually) be able to walk again?

This week sucks.

1. Dungey
2. Musquin
2. Tomac
4. Anderson
3. Webb
4. Musquin
5. Anderson
11 - Bogle

I don't really know what to do with 2-5. Musquin can take second if he gets a decent start. It's been a while since Anderson got a good start and if he does I think he can win. Webb seems to be getting better and better so I was thinking about him in second or third but then who do I move down for that? Tomac was passing everyone because he was riding great but also because he was hitting that jump that Dungey et al weren't and I don't think that'll be the case this week.

e: ugh, putting tomac in second and webb third. Sorry, Seely.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What the heck is happening this season. Dungey losing to Musquin, tomac stuffing the front end, mookie uh, well, I guess that's normal now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

How did deano get 5th? That's absurd. I got 15 points this week and I think I actually moved up in the overall standings (not in our group ex250 :argh:).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm pretty pumped about the 250 East. I'm wondering if A mart can put in some results, the bike seems good. I also hope AC does well, he deserves some success. Savatgy is probably the main guy I would think, unless he does have epstein barr or whatever (his second half of 2016 outdoors was not at all good, that was a theory). I guess Christian Craig is the other "guy", but I dunno how much I buy into that yet. AC or Savatgy is my pick, I think.

Yeah, just chiming in - I think it's probably going to be the Savatgy show as well.

Don't love my picks for this week either.

Dungey (making the comeback, it's been a while since he won and I think he still has the speed to do it.)
Tomac (fast without the front brake issue)
Seely (ugh, what am I doing with my picks?)
Webb (just off the podium)
Anderson (just doesn't seem to be able to get a holeshot and lead a race this year, but still fast)
7 - Musquin (he's either going here or in first/second again and I have no idea which)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have no idea who's going to win anymore, but is tomac really going to win eleventeen in a row? If dungey doesn't finish top two I'm done picking him above third (unless someone gets injured).

Dungey
Musquin
Tomac
Seely
Anderson
10-Tickle

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I am a failure at life. All hail rifkin.

Atlanta results:
rifkin (EX250 Type R?) - 57pts
VTNewb (shacked up with Brenda?) - 57pts
buildscharacter - 40pts
dreesemonkey - 33pts
Deeters - 15pts

Decent race, considering the lack of passing. That sand section wall was brutal

Metaphorically, I am #36 and rifkin is #17.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I'm catching up to you punks

I meant to put Tomac in for first this week but didn't manage to get picks in so it resubmitted the same picks for last week. That's my excuse.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Tomac
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
Musquin
9 - Reed

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Musquin
Tomac
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
11-Baggett

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

I'm like the chad reed of this fantasy season.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Reed got fined for it.

But boy, Dungey has seemed awfully whiny recently.

Definitely more than usual, but usually he's winning so I think it's understandable that he's getting more frustrated with stuff like this. Plus, this seemed pretty bad to me. That said, I definitely prefer less whining to more.

I think it's fair that Reed got fined. He was just ignoring the blue flags and can you imagine what he'd have said if someone had done that to him a year or two* ago?

*okay, ten.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pretty good summary of the rule there. Bolding is mine.

SX rules posted:

4.17 Flags and Lights

It is the rider’s responsibility to be aware of their surroundings at all times while on track. Safety is a main priority and the riders must obey all official signals and directions given to them. Any rider failing to do so may be penalized.

Solid Blue Flag:
Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster riders.
When conditions allow, move out of the fast line.
Hold your line (do not ride erratically) and do not impede the faster riders progress.
Riders disregarding the blue flag may be black-flagged at the discretion of Race Director.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

1. Tomac
2. Dungey
3. Musquin
4. Seely
5. Anderson
7. Baggett

I really wanted to put Reed in there somewhere because he's going to be riding with some kind of incandescent australian rage but I just can't do it because he's been so bad this year.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

I was pulling for Jimmy D for yinz guys. So close :(

I think both mains were good again. Lot's of excitement and drama in the 450 class with Dungey going down early. Man Tomac is beastly, if it weren't for his crash he probably would have won the drat thing. Was happy to see Webb eat poo poo and get swallowed up by Anderson and Tomac.

I was happy to see Dungey and Reed patch things back up, but then I got pissed again. Dungey initiated things, and then Chad's lukewarm interview excuses. What a shithead.

Had another crap week in fantasy, 15 pts. Brenda's leading the way still.

Sheesh, picked musquin to win the past two weeks, went back to tomac this week and ahhhhhhh

If Dungey had gotten a better start he might have given Tomac a run for his money (assuming he started in front of Tomac). Webb going down was great, but man he looks like he's going to be pretty fast. That block on Tomac was pretty great too even if he just couldn't keep up.

Pretty clever of team yamaha to hold up dungey twice in a row now. They know KTM is their biggest competitor for bike sales, so they've sent Reed and Webb out with orders to slow down Dungey at any cost. :tinfoil:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Hah, I don't think Webb really held Dungey up did he? Dungey got by after Webb's crash, I think. Maybe in a heat? I dunno.

He held Tomac up for a bit with the block you were talking about, I wasn't pleased about it but he has every right to do that. I agree with you, I don't particularly like him, but I think he's going to be fast too.

Dream MXoN team right now: Dungey, Tomac, Justin Hill (Though I'm not sure how good he is at motocross)

I meant this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjTcw2F2NM&t=120s for Webb-Dungey. Reed even knows it's coming and goes right over it! CONSPIRACY!

That'd be a great team. Not sure anyone could compete with it if they were all actually trying and Roczen's still not 100% (or out).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Race format chat:

I really dig the 2 heat/LCQ format, but the 450 semis are just not interesting to me. It makes the middle of the night stale. I'd like to see 450's mirror the 250 setup, and have an overall shorter event.

I also wonder what's barring the popularity of SX. Even in this forum we can't squeak out more than 5 people in this thread. The flamethrowers and Monster Energy Girls are a bit eyeroll inducing, but I'm not sure why its not more popular.

1. There aren't very many motorcycle riders.
2. Nobody grows up riding supercross. Few enough people grow up riding motorcycles as is.
3. It's in the dirt so that's an even smaller segment of folks who would naturally be interested.
4. People don't generally like racing. Look at the popularity of any motorsport vs. other sports.
5. It's not exciting unless you really care about it. It's a bunch of dudes riding in circles. The jumps are cool and all but they're not like x games jumps.
6. It's on Saturday night and isn't enough of a cultural touchstone that folks can be like "nah, I'm watching supercross" instead of doing out with friends.
7. Folks who don't ride don't understand how ridiculous what they're doing is.
8. It's really broed out. Whether or not there would be more women watching if it weren't, I don't know. But it's definitely not helping in terms of broad market appeal. I would guess it's 13-25 yo male demographic appeal is pretty decent but that's also a relatively small demographic.
9. Video games. I don't know how, but somehow.

ow.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

This is a cool and good summary. Mostly I think dirtbikes are somewhat of a dying breed. I've never owned one, but I guess tracks are less and less common now due to liability/noise.

It's a bummer because I genuinely think it's one of the best forms of racing. I also follow F1, but that is a race to find what team can throw the most money into a winning combination.

You could put Dungey or Tomac on a non-factory bike (assuming it's setup how they like it) and they would still be right up there. I like a racing series that you can tell who the best rider is, this year it's been Tomac (or Roczen). Furthermore, there is more racing (heats/semis/etc) and everyone still lines up at the same gate, regardless of qualifying position. Lot's of potential for drama and excitement. I think I even like the outdoors even more just because it's "more" racing with two motos per class.

I'm not sure how the future looks for SX in terms of numbers, it's a shame more people don't follow it.

fwiw, I think electric bikes are going to be great for SX/MX because they'll dramatically increase the availability of tracks by removing what seems to be the biggest complaint. That said, a 50% increase in a small number is still a small number

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

buildscharacter you could always come up to the farm and work on indoctrinating your next generation in the arts of off road dirt biking but the 50cc rental bike price is your have to soil your lawyer fingers breaking a trail :V

also 420pts lol nailed it

If you think I'm not headed there this summer, you have another thing coming. It's my 390. That's the other thing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
So, any reason to think Dungey has a chance to win this weekend after he's had a week off to stew?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dreesemonkey posted:

There could be some merit to that. If his "problems" are physical a week off could have helped a lot.

On the other hand, SLC is at ~4500ft above sea level, and tomac should have the fitness upper hand there.

Yeah, I couldn't do it. I've been falling behind because every week I think "this is the week that Tomac doesn't win." I don't think we've seen anything that indicates he won't win so f it, I'm choosing Tomac.

1. Tomac
2. Dungey
3. Seely
4. Musquin
5. Webb
10. Mookie

E: I hope dungey wins tonight so it goes down to the line. I think if Tomac wins it's all over. But dungey will need a seriously good start to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

I hope Dungey wins because I have him as picked for first like I do every week. Because

I still think it's fine with jeans. :colbert:

• Locked thread