Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Nah I think whacko zacho is going to have the red plate in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm looking forward to Daytona next weekend. The track looks pretty good, and my favorite horrible starter (Jeremy Martin) is going to be riding on Roczen's 450. I honestly don't expect him to do great since it's not really a motocross track, but he might surprise me. Tomac is practically garaunteed a win here.

Toronto looks like it might be good, long rhythm section and 2 sets of whoops.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well I put some actual thought into it, took it seriously, and still only got 30 pts. But I regained the lead (temporarily)!

My advice might not be worth much at this point, but Tomac almost has to be a lock for the daytona win. He's a bad dude outdoors and this track looks big, I expect him to win by 35 seconds.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Current standings

Even though the racing wasn't that great, it was a pretty exciting weekend. Between AC winning again, J mart leading for 10 laps, Dunge buried in the pack and Eli closing the gap to 17 pts, I thought the results were exciting. I'm not sure if Eli can keep up the pace and win the championship, but hopefully it'll be close at least.

I finally had a decent week with 51 points. I picked Eli to win, and got Seely's position right in 5th, and had Anderson and Dunge out of place in the top 5.

Daytona points:
Me - 51
Deeters - 35
brenda - 31
VTnewb - 20
buildscharacter - 20

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Standings after Indy:

I had a pretty poo poo week (15pts), but I'm pumped that the title is tightening up (the motorcycle one, not our fantasy league).

Tomac is on a serious tear, I hope he can end up winning the championship but I still have to think Dungey has to be the favorite at this point even though something is definitely up with him.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Tomac
Musquin
Dungey
Seeley
Milsaps
11 Canard

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

you were 2 points shy of winning some boots!

The 250 main event was amazing this week.

Ahhhh, I know. I crushed it this week. I forget the ordering of my picks (other than Eli and Canard) so I ran to the computer after I was done watching. I'll take some poo poo luck, thanks very much. I guess the people who beat me must have had 1,2,3,4,11 right where I had 1,2,3,5,11.

You're right, the 250 race was really exciting. Kinda bummed for Osbourne, but if he comes back to win it, it'll be really impressive. I would have liked to see AC win again (he looked great in his heat), but it was just not in the cards. Ferrandis may be a force to be reckoned with in the coming seasons.

Dungey's lead is down to 7 points. Wow.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My picks so far. Let's see if I can recreate last week's magic

Canard is out for the rest of supercross. I have a feeling he might be done done. I speculated on twitter that my conspiracy theory is that he's going to take Wil Hahn's old position at GEICO Honda.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hot drat, that's a good week in the books (you rear end in a top hat)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I wonder if Reed will suffer any longer term popularity issues from (apparently spitefully) preventing the fans from having the battle they wanted.

It really took the excitement out of the race.

Yea I dunno. I didn't really like him before so it's hard to say, but it chapped my rear end pretty bad. Way back in the day when I watched supercross casually he was the guy who would be in 3rd place until Ricky and Stew crashed going 4 seconds a lap faster than Reed.

It just seems to me that was a line you shouldn't cross as a veteran of the sport and racing. Fair game if he was legit in front of Dungey, but he was in 15th place getting lapped. Get your arrogant rear end out of the way, shithead.

The drama around Stew doing this last year at Atlanta for like 3 turns was bad enough, and Reed does it for over a lap for the points leader in 2nd place (having let first place by no problem). Petty move. I was hoping Dungey would punt him off the track somewhere.

But how do I really feel?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Deeters posted:

But boy, Dungey has seemed awfully whiny recently.

I think both Dungey and Reed are looking for excuses. Something is up with Dungey, he's definitely not on form this year. Burn out, hiding something physical, maybe mental? I dunno. Kinda sucks to see him struggle, though it is keeping things interesting. I think he's going to retire this year and I'm going to miss him, it's so easy to forget just how freaking good he is.

I wish nothing happened to Reed, 5pts and $5k is nothing to him. He's wealthy and not even remotely in the title hunt, so neither penalties is in any way meaningful. They should have black flagged him during the race if they were going to do anything.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was pulling for Jimmy D for yinz guys. So close :(

I think both mains were good again. Lot's of excitement and drama in the 450 class with Dungey going down early. Man Tomac is beastly, if it weren't for his crash he probably would have won the drat thing. Was happy to see Webb eat poo poo and get swallowed up by Anderson and Tomac.

I was happy to see Dungey and Reed patch things back up, but then I got pissed again. Dungey initiated things, and then Chad's lukewarm interview excuses. What a shithead.

Had another crap week in fantasy, 15 pts. Brenda's leading the way still.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

Sheesh, picked musquin to win the past two weeks, went back to tomac this week and ahhhhhhh

If Dungey had gotten a better start he might have given Tomac a run for his money (assuming he started in front of Tomac). Webb going down was great, but man he looks like he's going to be pretty fast. That block on Tomac was pretty great too even if he just couldn't keep up.

Pretty clever of team yamaha to hold up dungey twice in a row now. They know KTM is their biggest competitor for bike sales, so they've sent Reed and Webb out with orders to slow down Dungey at any cost. :tinfoil:

Hah, I don't think Webb really held Dungey up did he? Dungey got by after Webb's crash, I think. Maybe in a heat? I dunno.

He held Tomac up for a bit with the block you were talking about, I wasn't pleased about it but he has every right to do that. I agree with you, I don't particularly like him, but I think he's going to be fast too.

Dream MXoN team right now: Dungey, Tomac, Justin Hill (Though I'm not sure how good he is at motocross)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

1. There aren't very many motorcycle riders.
2. Nobody grows up riding supercross. Few enough people grow up riding motorcycles as is.
3. It's in the dirt so that's an even smaller segment of folks who would naturally be interested.
4. People don't generally like racing. Look at the popularity of any motorsport vs. other sports.
5. It's not exciting unless you really care about it. It's a bunch of dudes riding in circles. The jumps are cool and all but they're not like x games jumps.
6. It's on Saturday night and isn't enough of a cultural touchstone that folks can be like "nah, I'm watching supercross" instead of doing out with friends.
7. Folks who don't ride don't understand how ridiculous what they're doing is.
8. It's really broed out. Whether or not there would be more women watching if it weren't, I don't know. But it's definitely not helping in terms of broad market appeal. I would guess it's 13-25 yo male demographic appeal is pretty decent but that's also a relatively small demographic.
9. Video games. I don't know how, but somehow.

ow.

This is a cool and good summary. Mostly I think dirtbikes are somewhat of a dying breed. I've never owned one, but I guess tracks are less and less common now due to liability/noise.

It's a bummer because I genuinely think it's one of the best forms of racing. I also follow F1, but that is a race to find what team can throw the most money into a winning combination.

You could put Dungey or Tomac on a non-factory bike (assuming it's setup how they like it) and they would still be right up there. I like a racing series that you can tell who the best rider is, this year it's been Tomac (or Roczen). Furthermore, there is more racing (heats/semis/etc) and everyone still lines up at the same gate, regardless of qualifying position. Lot's of potential for drama and excitement. I think I even like the outdoors even more just because it's "more" racing with two motos per class.

I'm not sure how the future looks for SX in terms of numbers, it's a shame more people don't follow it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

fwiw, I think electric bikes are going to be great for SX/MX because they'll dramatically increase the availability of tracks by removing what seems to be the biggest complaint. That said, a 50% increase in a small number is still a small number

Electric bikes seem really promising if and when the prices come way down. But I think you're right that the small increase is still small. Not to mention concussions and things we're just now getting more scared about.

I'm kinda bummed about the off weekend, but the riders definitely earn no airplanes for a week. I'm still shocked that Tomac is riding coach. Pretty cool dude. It's an F1 weekend, at least so it's not a total racing drought for me.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Deeters posted:

Electric bikes will help with the noise, but there will still be complaints. People were mad about the "noise" from the BMX track I raced at as a teen.

Also, if we weren't spread out so far around the country, a dirt biking goonmeet would be a good time.

Or if I had a dirtbike :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't think Kenny is coming back at all for outdoors. Christian Craig is going to be riding "his" 450.

This is amazing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

builds character posted:

So, any reason to think Dungey has a chance to win this weekend after he's had a week off to stew?

There could be some merit to that. If his "problems" are physical a week off could have helped a lot.

On the other hand, SLC is at ~4500ft above sea level, and tomac should have the fitness upper hand there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sorry guys, I've been slacking. poo poo week at work I haven't had much time to slack off (like usual).

builds character posted:

If you don't regularly listen to pulpmx, I think it's worth a listen to this week's segment where The 722(TM) talks about what it's like to be passed by Tomac.

Yea this was pretty drat good.

Man I'm all ready to stamp Tomac for the title, but with two rounds yet I could just see something happening like when we were about ready to crown Roczen after round 2 and Dungey goes away with another championship, haha... That would really suck.

I'm still moderately cheesed that we didn't get to see a Tomac v Dungey v Roczen this year. Tomac is a completely different guy after his "bike changes".

Here's the fantasy standings right now. I did ok with 52 points this week. I may be able to pull the win out if I have two good remaining rounds.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I think those are pretty good pics, I needed to change mine up a little

Tomac
Dungey
Musquin
Milsaps
Webb
9: Tickle

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What a crazy night of racing. I felt sick to my stomach for Tomac, something about that track was just not good for him. I can't believe Dungey is going to win another championship but Tomac had the opportunity and blew it, whether it be bike setup or mental or all the of the above. Got to be pretty crushing.

The 250 race was really exciting too. I think Osbourne is going to pull if off. He and Hill are far and away the fastest dudes on either coast, I could see Zach winning in Vegas and Savatgy finishing in 5th or something and losing the title.

I'm still bummed for Tomac. I wonder what Musquin's pit board said "2x win bonus for 2nd" maybe? I do like Dungey and he deserves to be a 4 time champ, but I was not happy to see that pass at the end of the race, just feels fake.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Deeters posted:

The 250 series has been really fantastic. This is gonna really screw things for Savatgy

I was wondering if he was going to get penalized, on the broadcast they said he didn't go back to do the corner but didn't mention any possibility of a penalty, I guess they probably didn't want to speculate.

My money's still on Osbourne to win the title in vegas, he's been the fastest guy on that coast and all he needs to do it just finish in front of Smith and Savatgy.

I'm still crushed for Tomac, but the weekend wasn't a complete letdown: In F1, for ultimate Hamilton petulance,
Bottas won his first race and Vettel increased his point lead. Pretty much the best case scenario.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's my pics for the last round of the year.

0% chance Dungey loses the title. At least my prediction was partially correct from the beginning of the season.

quote:

Ryan Dungey - Back to back supercross champion the past two years and just the most apple-pie golly gosh darn good guy, gee wilikers. Last year Dungey was dominant and earned his way onto a cereal box and into ESPN the body issue. I'm not sure if he or his wife is better looking. Hot take: I'm betting he's going to win his third championship in a row and retire.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Osborne holy fuuuuuuuuck that was unreal!!!!!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Ugh I forgot to make pix

I last-turn Osbourne'd you out of the lead BITCH

builds character posted:

Crazy races to finish the year out. I like Osborne's last pass as long as it stays as a last turn of the last race of the year for the championship type of pass and he's not regularly block passing people into oblivion. Tomac's attempts to do to the same to Dungey were funny but if they'd worked? I'm not a huge fan of guys purposely slowing to let someone pass them so that they can block pass the guy into the cheap seats. I don't know, I guess I have mixed feelings about it - exciting racing, good results, just not stuff I'd want to see in any other race.

My stream of the race was terrible so I must have missed a lot of Tomac's shenanigans. I saw an initial pass where Dungey retreated way up the berm and got stuck, but there wasn't even any contact. I consider it all fair game unless Tomac is doing a Grant on Mookie in NYNJ or something on Dungey. Sucks for Tomac, but he pretty much did lose it himself by being so god awful in NYNJ.

I agree he's probably going to destroy all humans in the outdoors this year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

More like I Marvin Musquin got out of your way (due to attending and setting-up my sisters wedding).

As the winner of the SX pool, I propose you make the Outdoors thread!

I'm planning on getting the NBC gold pass for $50 bux so I can watch em all.

Is Dungey retiring?

1. Yea I completely lucked out by picking Malcom in the wildcard spot.
2. Has there previously been an outdoors thread? Is there fantasy for it, or just chatting about it? I'd be up for either. I can make a thread if no one else wants to.
3. I am also going to buy the NBC pass so then I don't have to bitch about lovely streams and waiting for :filez: all the time. I hope MX Sports is getting a decent cut of that, I'd rather be paying them directly as opposed to NBC.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I don't think there ever has been an outdoors thread, but why not? I like the outdoors better myself.

I kinda do too because more racing!

Rumors circulating that Dungey is retiring before outdoors.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Yo where my Dungey rumors at

Apparently it's happening today. I think it was supposed to start already (11AM PST according to Vital/RacerX on twitter)

https://twitter.com/racerxonline/status/864528363599384576

e: I suck at coast-math. 11AM PST is 2PM EST.

I will try to work on that outdoors thread this week too

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
lovely outdoors thread placeholder before I get more time to write something up:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820659

So long, Dungey. You're a cool guy with lot's of money and a hot wife.

• Locked thread