Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was thinking of getting a parking heater for my sister's car but they're next to impossible to find. I was looking at a Webasto model but any place that's listed as a retailer only sells and installs model for diesel transport trucks.

They fairly common in Europe and I'm surprised they're not more common here. They seem like a good alternative to starting your car (remotely or otherwise) and letting it idle to warm up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was thinking of getting a parking heater for my sister's car but they're next to impossible to find. I was looking at a Webasto model but any place that's listed as a retailer only sells and installs model for diesel transport trucks.

They fairly common in Europe and I'm surprised they're not more common here. They seem like a good alternative to starting your car (remotely or otherwise) and letting it idle to warm up.

Are you talking about a block heater or an interior car heater?

A block heater keeps the coolant warm so the engine has an easier time starting, an interior car heater heats up the interior of a car.

Block heaters are available at every dealer and most shops (Napa, partsource, etc) here in Canada.

Interior car heaters are available at most big box stores, such as: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/little-buddy-120v-car-warmer-0303405p.html#srp

I'm all about block heaters but I don't see the point of interior car heaters. Something my wife would want if she knew they existed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

sirr0bin posted:

Are you talking about a block heater or an interior car heater?

A block heater keeps the coolant warm so the engine has an easier time starting, an interior car heater heats up the interior of a car.

Block heaters are available at every dealer and most shops (Napa, partsource, etc) here in Canada.

Interior car heaters are available at most big box stores, such as: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/little-buddy-120v-car-warmer-0303405p.html#srp

I'm all about block heaters but I don't see the point of interior car heaters. Something my wife would want if she knew they existed.
Neither. I'm up in Canada too and am well versed in block heaters. ;)

Parking heaters are installed under the hood and work by drawing a small amount of fuel from the tank and using it to run a burner. A small pump circulates the coolant through the heater so when the car is started up the engine very quickly gets up to operating temperature. As well, the system also runs the HVAC fan to circulate the warm air through the car. They're either run off a timer that you program to turn on and off for a certain duration or the newer ones can be operated via a smartphone. In Europe they're really common as factory or third party installed options.

What I'm looking for is something like this: https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heaters/our-parking-heaters/luxury-class/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFfdUm4HzU

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 18, 2016

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Neither. I'm up in Canada too and am well versed in block heaters. ;)

Parking heaters are installed under the hood and work by drawing a small amount of fuel from the tank and using it to run a burner. A small pump circulates the coolant through the heater so when the car is started up the engine very quickly gets up to operating temperature. As well, the system also runs the HVAC fan to circulate the warm air through the car. They're either run off a timer that you program to turn on and off for a certain duration or the newer ones can be operated via a smartphone. In Europe they're really common as factory or third party installed options.

What I'm looking for is something like this: https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heaters/our-parking-heaters/luxury-class/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFfdUm4HzU

Whoa, looks like the fanciest drat combo block heater/interior warmer ever. Bet that costs more than some cars I've owned.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Not really an answer, but wanted to share;

My '74 VW 412 (aircooled) came with an Eberspacher unit that sat in the center of the car, above the transmission. It ran off gasoline and could be run to pre-warm the interior (the switch was like an egg timer) or could be run while driving to boost the heat coming off the engine. I've been told these units would kick out enough heat to de-ice an entire car, I suppose it was VW's solution to aircooled engines' trouble defrosting windshields.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

sirr0bin posted:

Whoa, looks like the fanciest drat combo block heater/interior warmer ever. Bet that costs more than some cars I've owned.
They run about $700 - $800 and seem like a better solution than remote car starters.

NoWake posted:

Not really an answer, but wanted to share;

My '74 VW 412 (aircooled) came with an Eberspacher unit that sat in the center of the car, above the transmission. It ran off gasoline and could be run to pre-warm the interior (the switch was like an egg timer) or could be run while driving to boost the heat coming off the engine. I've been told these units would kick out enough heat to de-ice an entire car, I suppose it was VW's solution to aircooled engines' trouble defrosting windshields.

Apparently modern diesels have something similar as they're extremely efficient and don't put out enough heat. A lot of the auxiliary heaters are just parking heaters without the timer module so people just attach the timer module to get full functionality.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 18, 2016

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, I have one (Webasto thermo Evo), installed it on my winter beater Audi. It's currently plumbed into the heater core circuit, and running it for 30 minutes gets the radiator hoses fully warm to the touch. I have it set up with a wireless remote so I can start it while I'm having coffee in the morning. When I start it up, I have at least somewhat warm air coming from the vents. I haven't set it up to start the heater blower yet, but that's stage two. All in all, it was a very expensive way to avoid having to plug in my car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Frank Dillinger posted:

Yeah, I have one (Webasto thermo Evo), installed it on my winter beater Audi. It's currently plumbed into the heater core circuit, and running it for 30 minutes gets the radiator hoses fully warm to the touch. I have it set up with a wireless remote so I can start it while I'm having coffee in the morning. When I start it up, I have at least somewhat warm air coming from the vents. I haven't set it up to start the heater blower yet, but that's stage two. All in all, it was a very expensive way to avoid having to plug in my car.
How did you order it? As I mentioned I called their HQ here in Canada and the only resellers they could direct me to only installed diesel units for commercial trucks.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I bought mine on eBay, it was shipped from Germany. Parking heaters on gasoline vehicles are very uncommon around here, as you are finding out. Budget around 800$ for the heater, then you'll need a few more hundred for the install kit (water pump, controller, fuel pump, lines, wiring harness, exhaust pipe, etc.

What do you want to install this in?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been thinking about getting one of these for the land cruiser instead of my only other real option of a 12v 120W oilpan heater and a second battery. The cost is a big thing but I've been wondering if I can source one off a junked semi since I have a diesel engine (that is notorious for running cool even in the summer). The one thing I can't figure out though is if the units are larger than ones for consumer vehicles, anyone know?

E: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipm...gationFlag=true

Seriously, $400 is totally within the realm of reality.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 18, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What province are you in, OP? I can probably source one, Espar is easier than Webasto to get my hands on (boss golfs with the local Espar dealer).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 19, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

I've been thinking about getting one of these for the land cruiser instead of my only other real option of a 12v 120W oilpan heater and a second battery. The cost is a big thing but I've been wondering if I can source one off a junked semi since I have a diesel engine (that is notorious for running cool even in the summer). The one thing I can't figure out though is if the units are larger than ones for consumer vehicles, anyone know?

E: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipm...gationFlag=true

Seriously, $400 is totally within the realm of reality.

there's a bit of a difference but they've got thermostats so the only loss in going too big is you'll use a bit more fuel. And it would take a long time to burn enough fuel in one of those to account for the price difference between a used one off a truck and a new one in the correct size.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
They come in a few different sizes, as long as you've got room for it somewhere I wouldn't sweat it. Also; good call on espar, they seem to be much more common around here (Alberta)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

there's a bit of a difference but they've got thermostats so the only loss in going too big is you'll use a bit more fuel. And it would take a long time to burn enough fuel in one of those to account for the price difference between a used one off a truck and a new one in the correct size.

Well, in theory, once the cruiser is my dd it'll spend 12 hours a day parked in a lot with no 120v plugs while I'm working. Ideally I'd want to use a timer to turn it on say an hour or two before the end of a shift. At home 120v obviously isn't a problem, but being able to say leave the heater going while I'm at the farm or something would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

What province are you in, OP? I can probably source one, Espar is easier than Webasto to get my hands on (boss golfs with the local Espar dealer).
Thanks. :) I'm just interested in more of a price quote right now but yeah that'd awesome if you could point me in the right direction. I'm in Toronto and it seems their Canadian HQ is about a 20 minute drive from my place.

• Locked thread