Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I recently rewatched the movie and got into an argument about this: are the Wallace replicants build to be more obidient than the ones from the Nexus series? The movie just says that "they obey" and my impression is that they are just kept in line better through constant psychological monitoring and conditioning, but other than that, they are just as dangerous. That would fit in perfectly with the whole movie theme of walls and prisons that exist only in our minds.

They are made to obey, there was a short thing showing this before the movie was released. How he did it is anyone's guess. I highly doubt alot of people saw this before seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kassad posted:

That doesn't explain the couple times (one in the film, one in a promotional short) where we see Wallace kill replicants who don't struggle or fight back in any way. Conditioning or monitoring only goes so far.

one was a newborn.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

one was a newborn.

With likely no implanted memories whatsoever.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

He probably made them more obedient by using only certain kinds of artificial memories. Since they're making what are essentially humans from the ground up, whose memories are entirely implants, they can use only memories that form a specific kind of docile personality that's averse to rebellion or unnecessary violence

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

basic hitler posted:

He probably made them more obedient by using only certain kinds of artificial memories. Since they're making what are essentially humans from the ground up, whose memories are entirely implants, they can use only memories that form a specific kind of docile personality that's averse to rebellion or unnecessary violence

Also easy to manipulate since you understand their drives and fears better than they do, being the architect of their minds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tenzarin posted:

They are made to obey, there was a short thing showing this before the movie was released. How he did it is anyone's guess. I highly doubt alot of people saw this before seeing the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

I feel like Covenant suffered a lot from this. I know those shorts were promo things that were never meant to be in the movie, but the passenger one and the last supper ones like, they just straight up should have been in the movie.

This too though, I know 2049 was long, but the Nexus Dawn short should have been in there too.

The animated one kind of just made me wish they'd do a whole movie about the build up to the blackout or/and one about its immediate aftermath.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've never watched those and never will cuz i hate poo poo outside of the movie itself but it seemed fine without them. movie was great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've never watched those and never will cuz i hate poo poo outside of the movie itself but it seemed fine without them. movie was great.

I don't think Blade Runner was hurt by them not being in it, but I think Covenant would have been a 10X better movie if James Franco's only line before the opening we got was "I'm burning up"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you are correct. that was dumb for covenant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The animated one kind of just made me wish they'd do a whole movie about the build up to the blackout or/and one about its immediate aftermath.

I was actually disappointed in the anime, largely because it made some goddamn unsubtle throwbacks to the original.

But I love the hookerbot kicking in the truck window and throwing that trucker out of the cab with her legs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The dumbest thing about the animated short in retrospect is that they had a perfect opportunity to have Trixie actually be the Replicant leader from the film itself, but instead she gets fridged in favor of the soldier Replicant we never see again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The animated short had zero imagination beyond regurgitating the original film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is neat, a producer's on-set journal has been published by Collider. Apparently Blade Runner: Time to Live was a frontrunner for title.

• Locked thread