Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sorry, everything is boring now, movies are boring, we can't scare our dumb idiot viewers with something they aren't expecting.

edit: it'll probably be fine in the movie but what was the last film we got with really wacky fashion? I miss that.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ironically you're misremembering William Blake's "Memory, hither come":

Bill B posted:

MEMORY, hither come
And tune your merry notes;
And while upon the wind
Your music floats,
I ’ll pore upon the stream
Where sighing lovers dream,
And fish for fancies as they pass
Within the watery glass.

I ’ll drink of the clear stream,
And hear the linnet’s song,
And there I ’ll lie and dream
The day along;
And when night comes I ’ll go
To places fit for woe,
Walking along the darkened valley,
With silent Melancholy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's like all PKD stories, the questionable reality is more about us making meaning of our own lives than wondering what our lives mean (see also: the questionable ending to Minority Report that directly references Solaris).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"I've kept myself alive just so I could meet you, Ryan Gosling. Now that my dream is achieved, I can die. Also, I thought Lost River was a great film."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That's just what your schizophrenia wants you to think, Philip.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I watched it the other day and I was like "heh"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

exquisite tea posted:

The asian influence in Blade Runner came out of a period where Japan's consumer goods economy was dominant and China was just emerging as a manufacturing powerhouse, why is why Atari and Toshiba seemingly rule the world in 2019 Los Angeles. It was their attempt to predict how cultures would blend in the future.

See also: every movie from the 70s and 80s where gaggles of Japanese tourists show up taking pictures of everything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Young Freud posted:

It reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles when Bart is riding into town except this time it's "skinjob", since we all know what the person who'd use that word would call black people back then.

RICK DECKARD'S A BONNGGGG

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HAT FETISH posted:

oh and also, if you see it in IMAX (not a spoiler for the film itself, just a neat surprise) the giant number countdown sequence before the movie is all neon and BR2049 themed and giant hologram Joi makes an appearance :pcgaming:

excellent emoticon usage because same

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Joi had a lot of the best moments, the overlapping sex scene absolutely knocked the wind out of me and her glitching out after the crash was discomfortingly eerie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

pospysyl posted:

It's impossible for the bees to survive in the radioactive desert with no plants to feed on.

Almost as if it were a miracle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's plenty of other overtly mystical imagery in the film, it's just all attached to characters who aren't literally from the past.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Almost everyone in the movie? Sapper has the tree, the flower, and the garlic, Joi has the scene in the rain, Wallace literally lives in a pyramid, the whole movie is boiling with biblical imagery. The climax even features a baptism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

pospysyl posted:

But none of those are miraculous! I know it's meant to be Biblical imagery, but not everything in the Bible is a miracle. Also, pyramids aren't even in the Bible.

Of course they're not miraculous, half the point of Blade Runner is that it's a confused, lost echo of the past - the bees are miraculous because Decker produced a miracle

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Does the novel make a stronger hint that the offworld colonies are actually a huge scam? Maybe it's another PKD book where it turns out the "colonies" are basically labor camps? I know that's sort of the premise of Martian Time-Slip.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Thundercracker posted:

One thing I actually wish they addressed was: Why pay a replicant a salary? Enough to rent a reasonably nice studio when actual humans are homeless in the same bulding.

That sorta defeats the point of slavery.

Congrats on your weird take.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I really liked Wallace. Tyrell felt like an aging Liberace, while Wallace was like Akhnaten. It was a weird performance but I thought he was kind of fascinating and I wish we'd had more resolution to his arc, it felt like he just kind of disappeared.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Escobarbarian posted:

Also I don’t wanna be the omg-so-smart guy but isn’t it obvious memory creator is the child as soon as she cries about the horse figure memory and says the thing about the best memories coming from real places? That was too predictable for me.

I was red herring'd into thinking that she was confirming for him that the memory was real and therefore he was The One etc and they were just both shocked by this.

Bardeh posted:

So, Deckard and Rachel's daughter placed that horse toy memory in every replicant she designed the memories for, right? The hooker replicant recognizes the horse on the bedside table, and the resistance leader implies that it's a shared thing when K finds out he's not The One.

The impression I got was that the replicants got a kind of mix-and-match grab bag of memories. I don't think they say this outright but it felt implied.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Shageletic posted:

Tyrell's interests, from chess to robooots, where shown in the original, his desires easily seen, making him very human.

Wallace bloviated and gave insufferable speeches while inhumanly dispatching his creations.

I think the movie was implicitly judging him, damning him by a lack of interest due to his inhumanity.

It absolutely judges him, he delivers all this controlling messianic bullshit and displays a notable lack of humanity, which is why I enjoyed his performance so much.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

feedmyleg posted:

Now I'm torn. I was going to do my second viewing in a theater with recliners and food, but now you folks are making me consider IMAX...

Go for IMAX! Most movies are best experienced sitting bolt upright anyways. No slouching in the cathedral.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
To be honest even with the speakers functional the huge bass is just kind of annoying - Dunkirk had the same thing and it just made me feel like I was vibrating, which isn't really accomplishing anything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Serf posted:

Thirty years and people still don't get what Blade Runner is trying to teach them.

I take it you include yourself in this example set or do you have something you'd like to share?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Really, it could be either.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sinding Johansson posted:

I liked Wallace, he comes across as the sort of guy who likes to talk but as the only people he talks to he doesn't consider people, he's gone a little bit insane.

I like that he was more robotic than his products.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
duhh fart i'm smg i poop from my mouth and eat with my anus and i'm my own grandpa

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

AdmiralViscen posted:

There are people in this topic who couldn't figure out who the child was until the very last scene

That was me, lmao

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I would've been happy if this movie were nothing but a Koyaanisqatsi-esque trip through Futureworld.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My pet title for Blade Runner 2049 is Dances with Wolves, any confusion with another film of the same name is purely unintentional.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, the violence in Blade 3 is pretty robotic, which is probably the point or whatever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, he did direct Polytechnique.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You could read his ouvre as educational films about women for men, if you were so inclined.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Arrival is a masterpiece.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

wyoming posted:

In the same way The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece, sure.

I disagree.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I loved the whole movie and if you didn't like any of it you're wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I liked Leto in this.

• Locked thread