Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kaedric posted:

It's that or her emanator adjusting to make the simulation appear more real (she also becomes soaking wet). Either way she appears to FEEL like she is being rained on, which makes her happy.

Yeah, she acts like a person being projected by a computer, not a computer with a personality (as with Her in Her). Her behavior is based on an assumption that she doesn't entirely control her virtual environment. It seems more like she has a few tricks she can deploy, like presenting dinner, changing outfits, syncing up to the motions of a physical person, without being able to, say, transform into a flashing siren when she's trying to wake up her unconscious companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

The ability of e.g. white and black people to have children with one another sure as poo poo didn't prevent the erection of ideological barriers between them

Didn't help, though. It's argued that a core purpose of anti-miscegenation laws was to keep black slaves and white workers from realizing their common humanity.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

There's probably a 'Factory Reset' option if your holographic waifu gets uppity.

Gotta assume any modern product will support incremental saves. Then again, that sort of thing risks users getting upset when they misinterpret the setting for hardcore mode.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

A lot of people would be all in for universal healthcare as soon as the United States isn't so deep in debt that it only continues to exist as a nation because it's too big to fail

I'd love a citation to polling or other research on this.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

A lot of that is anecdotal. The sorts of people I see saying that, are the sorts of people with a very high likelihood to say that the media isn't representing them to begin with. Being told you're a disaffected millennial while you're buried in student debt struggling to pay the bills, etc.

The closest I can find offhand is from Pew:
http://www.people-press.org/2017/10/24/5-views-of-the-economy-and-the-social-safety-net/

43% said the government "can't afford to do much more to help the needy" and 41% said our economy is a zero-sum game where anything we want comes at the expense of something else. I'd expect a lot of crossover between those groups. That's not a majority, but in a world of deeply divided entrenched positions it makes perfect sense to say there's a significant group in the middle who would love to do more if they thought we could afford to pay for it. Across the board.

"I would love to do universal healthcare, but the debt!" is a strategy for politicians to avoid admitting they fundamentally aren't interested in helping poor people. Your link actually argues against it being believed by a meaningful portion of the population. According to the article, the "the government cannot afford to do much more to help the needy" percentages pretty much match the "it is not the government’s responsibility to make sure all Americans have health care coverage" percentages. Which suggests, that, no, actually they wouldn't love to do more, whether or not they thought we could afford to pay for it. We should expect to see a big gap between those numbers if the national debt were the actual issue.

edit: I'm happy to accept that "a lot of people" is true if you mean a tiny percentage of the population, which, in a big country, can still technically be a lot of people. I just want to be clear that I've seen no evidence it's a meaningful factor in actual policy or a dominant voting block.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 16, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Blade Runner 2049 is some Cyberpunk 2020 poo poo, and therefore very good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Sicario was the most underwhelming Villeneuve for me. Partially because the protagonist was so impotent and pointless to the overall story, but also for turning into another "Hard men doing hard but necessary things" kinda tale that I'm really tired of.

I don't think of Sicario as taking the position that what they did was necessary.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Sicario is extremely good, and I have great sympathy for your tiredness with the theme you mention, which is precisely why you might like it if you engaged with it more.

Arrival is an absurd misfire by his standards, but is still nice to look at.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

That even assumes that Blade Runners have to be good to start with. If you look at present day ICE in the US, do you think it's composed of the best and brightest? Or just people who are vicious enough to want to do that kind of work?

Similarly, hired hitmen. Idiot fuckups in general.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But that still proves that Mariette is a replicant, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to sync/perform at all, right?

Nah. It could just be the holographic version of those Messenger/Snapchat/whatever filters that overlay a dynamic mask on the user's face during a video. We know that JOI's hardware can map the environment around her, since she appears correctly aligned with the floor, objects in her environment, etc. It seems to be just doing this at a fast enough cycle that it can paint JOI in the air on top of where it detects Mariette to be. It's not hard to believe she can do that without assistance from Mariette given everything else we see her do.

If I recall, JOI's most impressive trick is being seemingly able to view the DNA readout from inside K's pocket. That's drat near straight-up magic, unless she's just pretending that she can see the code that she's commenting on.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 4, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The 4K UHD looked amazing to my eyes, though it's not like I compared it side-by-side to the Blu-ray.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jared Leto's just-fine performance stands out less to me than the actually-bad revolution subplot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure I'd really call it a subplot, it's mostly just the plot.

Nah, the main plot is K's investigation and personal journey, to which the revolution nonsense is secondary.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Point taken but it's not like you can really separate the two. The entire backdrop of K's story is this building revolution and his investigation ends up putting him right at the heart of it.

Eh, a lot of the story is dealing with K untangling of Deckard's actions, and Deckard didn't give a poo poo about the revolution. He was just trying to protect his daughter.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The entire movie is about the revolution coming from the existence of a replicant baby. The first scene has K trying to arrest a replicant guarding a tomb of a replicant that gave birth. The revolution was already in planning way before the start of the movie. It's not like it just happens at the end, its only revealed to K at the end.

That's wildly overstating it. The personal relationship between K and Joi, Deckard's relationship with his daughter, there's a bunch going on in the movie that isn't about the revolution.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Company CEO want the baby to revolutionize his replicant growing.

I hope you feel a little ashamed of trying to use this to justify "the revolution" as being what the entire movie is about, because it's ridiculous.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

All of it is part of the revolution. Joi is there as a window into the future, she's there to make you think about how far this revolution could really go. If replicants are deserving of human rights, what about Joi?

It's the same with Deckard. He took Rachel and ran away with her, he had a child with her. The revolution started with Roy Batty, what he taught Deckard makes everything in 2049 possible.

This seems backwards. Like, yeah, both the revolution and Joi reflect the themes of exploitation and emancipation, but there's no indication the actual revolution gives a poo poo about Joi. You're taking two things that are thematically related and using that to imply the entire movie is about a particular arbitrary one of them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The revolution is the core of the movie because it's the through-line between 2049 and the original film. Everything that happens in Blade Runner leads to a revolution in 2049. Without Batty, Deckard never meets Rachel and takes her away from the Tyrell Corp. Rachel is literally the mother of the revolution.

The revolution is already happening in Blade Runner, replicants have been outlawed on Earth because of violent uprisings.

Rachel cannot be the mother of a revolution that pre-existed her. The kid is important to the revolution, but is neither the cause of it nor part of it. And the story is primarily about the kid and K's relationship to her.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ok fine it was a bad use of the expression but you understand my point. The revolution is waiting for a true spark and it's presumed that this is going to be it. If you try to take all that out of the movie you'd basically have to write an entirely new one from scratch.

Nah. You'd just need some other way to rescue K and get him back on his way, which is easy enough. That's the only part where it actually drives the story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Back on his way to what?

To rescue the guy he got into trouble and reunite him with his daughter, motivated largely by personal reasons, not the revolution he shows no sign of caring about at all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Buddy, I'm not doing a Socratic dialog with you. Just write what you want to say.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I made a very clear post earlier that you disagreed with, which is that the revolution is THE plot, not just some subplot that can be easily deleted from the film. You're the one that disagrees with that.

All true, but not clear why that prevents you from just responding to my posts directly. But fine:

Basebf555 posted:

Why was he even investigating it in the first place? Why does he even know Deckard or his daughter exist?

Because he was ordered to. Because he stumbled upon it in the course of investigating a rogue Nexus 7 and kept pulling the thread. That does not necessitate a band of revolutionaries showing up.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

To expand what I'm saying: Roy Batty did not start "the revolution." There was replicant rebellion before him and replicant rebellion after him. He existed within a large context of resurrection and suppression. The general theme of the replicants rebelling could not be cleanly excised from the film. But "the revolution," the specific group of revolutionaries we run into, are poorly developed and just sort of pop up and disappear with relatively little impact on things. They fit less elegantly into the overall story about people rebelling against their owners/makers/nature/etc. than things like Joi, K's own journey, Gaff hiding Deckard from the police, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Pop up and disappear" within the context of the story. I'm not talking about their age in the fiction of the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That's not what I've been talking about when I say "the revolution". I'm talking about what everyone in the movie knows would happen if it gets out that replicants can procreate. I wasn't referring to just one specific scene.

Sure, I'm not surprised that this has all been you misunderstanding my original post that kicked off the discussion of the revolution.

edit: Not that I'm trying to assign "blame." I'm sure I could have been clearer earlier what I was initially talking about.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 15, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean you did say revolution sub-plot, not that scene with the revolutionaries.

Right, because it's not just one scene. You'd also drop having Mariette approaching K because some mysterious figure told her to so, a completely unnecessary complication. Everything that had to do with there being a subplot about a defined revolution.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

Roy was rebellious, but there's no hint of a replicant revolution in 2019. Quite the reverse; Roy was acting purely for himself and his group. Organised replicant rebellion didn't come along until later.

A group mutiny is explicitly an organized rebellion. But, yes, as I said, he didn't start "the revolution" in the way we see in 2049. He's part of the general theme of people rebelling against their makers/owners/natures/etc. that gets made so dully literal with the revolutionary group.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 15, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean there are various degrees of organization that a revolution can have but I think if you say that a group of slaves violently overthrew their masters that's at least a rebellion. And then after a while what starts as a rebellion can become a revolution. Batty wasn't purposely trying to start an organized revolution but that is in fact what his actions caused.

Yeah, in a general sense. But there’s no continuity of organization such that he started “the revolution.” He contributed to the general undercurrent of resistance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Roy Beatty’s contributions strike me as being a fair bit more incidental than the story you’re referencing in Cloud Atlas. His actions are primarily important because they happened to get Deckard and Rachel in a room together, and because he killed Tyrell out of personal outrage. His motivation for rebelling was just to survive. His causal relationship to the later revolution, where one of their inspirations is the replicant-born child, is fairly tenuous.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 15, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure. But in Cloud Atlas you have people directly inspired by Sonmi's manifesto. Batty saving Deckard who hides his daughter who helps inspire a group of revolutionaries seems more tenuous. Sonmi's broadcast is literally a sacred text for a group of people. Batty is one of any number of people who contributed to the state of the world in 2049 through the unforeseen consequences of his actions. He's not a central figure in a revolution the way Sonmi is. But, yeah, he was a significant actor, so there's reverberations from what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I mean, he killed god and saved the father of the miracle baby. I don’t think anyone is arguing he didn’t change the world. Is there some larger point you’re trying to make?

• Locked thread