Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think this is usually fun, looking back on your year of gaming and highlighting some games of the past that you enjoyed for the first time this year. It could be a game from 30 years ago or from december 2015. For me theres a few games worth highlighting, because before this year I had never really played any castlevania or mega man games, and I took the time to play a lot of them! (castlevania I played nearly every entry, mega man Im working on)

From those series the two highlights were Order of Ecclesia and Mega Man X, for pretty similar reasons actually. They took the basic ideas of their NES roots and translated that difficulty/design onto later hardware with incredible finesse. Ecclesia is a game I still pop in and play every few months, even if I dont finish a run, because its so fun to move around and play, and it has a wealth of NG+ options to tweak your playstyle. Mega Man X will probably be the same for me in the future, since its short enough I can slot it into the Metroid Zero Mission tier of "spend a sunday afternoon on a full run"

What games did you discover this year, or what games from 2015 did you pick up on a sale and really enjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

la mulana remake. i started it n 2015, but i started a new run this year and finally beat it and its loving incredible. easily one of the best mtroidvanias i've ever played even though some of the puzzles are kind of esoteric. big ups to the soundtrck and the graphics too, basicly everything looks nd sounds good. if nyone hasn't played it and likes metroidvanias, get it ASAP. only piece of advice is to get a notebook and keep notes because a) you feel like sean connery in indiana jones nd b) it'll help a ton in the endgame

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aolso want to shout out to shantae and the pirates curse, sonic generations and dishonored, played nd enjoyed all of them this year because of imp zone and theyre all fuckin stellar

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, I bought the GOTY edition on sale on PSN and it's actually pretty drat fun

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I have a lot of these from this year, but the standouts are the Final Fantasy XIII series and Sonic CD.

Lightning Returns is one of my favorite RPGs now. It has an amazing soundtrack, insane story, really interesting world/characters and easily my favorite non turn based RPG battle system. I was completely obsessed with the XIII series this year and I am really glad that I tried it myself. Before I played it I heard almost nothing but negative things about the games but I ended up with 3 of the coolest RPGs I've ever played.

I should have played Sonic CD before this year. It's my favorite Sonic game and I've played through most of them. I beat Sonic CD at least 20 times this year learning to speed run it and I won't stop until I get a really great run.

Another series that is looking to fit this thread for me is Mega Man Zero. These games are perfect for me and I only started playing them this month. They're made by the same team as MM 9 and 10 so I really should have gotten into them sooner. Currently going for an A rank run of MMZ2 and I hope to beat all 4 before the end of the year.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus. SotC in particular I was worried would feel very dated but it really holds up.

I also played through MGS1-3 this year and they were great too, although I found the pacing towards the end very frustrating.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Divinity: Original Sin. I got it last year and liked it well enough but never got hooked on it--I'd play, have fun with it, then set it down for months, usually long enough that I'd just start a new game when I came back. But this last weekend I used a vacation day to make it a 3-day weekend, loaded up my most recent save (from exactly three months before to the day) and I finally got hooked and I barely played anything else the whole time. I have no idea why I found it so hard to get into last year, I'm having a blast.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I also played Ecclesia for the first time this year, but I got stuck at the crab boss.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caithness posted:

I also played Ecclesia for the first time this year, but I got stuck at the crab boss.

I played and beat this game based on IT's recommendation and it was major win. Also I've had a ton of fun with Rouge Galaxy and King of Dragon Pass

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I forgot, OP...

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
I've been meaning to go back and play some classics that I haven't played or haven't completed..

One I recently finished that I hadn't beat before is Fallout New Vegas; was pretty good, probably the best of the new age fallouts imo. Dunno if the DLCs are worth it or not

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

dustforce and metal gear revengeance op :thumsup:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Easily one of the best open world games out there.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Easily one of the best open world games out there.

This.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alien Isolation. I started it really early this year on the hardest difficulty and gave up because I could never survive around the alien, but eventually i figured out tricks to avoid it and it was a supremely tense and fun game the whole way through. Ended up very long though.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The original dead rising remaster on ps4 has been eating up a lot of my time. It's a really fun game

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
phoenix wright

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
Grim Fandango (picked up the remastered version on sale) was a lot of fun. It took me back to my Maniac Mansion roots.

I also reinstalled Diablo II after about 8 years of intentionally not playing it (so many high school and college evenings wasted). I had a blast rolling through everything as a hammerdin, beat Hell Baal a few times, and now have no desire to continue playing. Cold turkey.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suikoden 2, symphony of the night, and Yakuza 5

e: and dragon quest v

Baxate fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 20, 2016

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sleeping Dogs is extremely win

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Suikoden 2, symphony of the night, and Yakuza 5

e: and dragon quest v

all these too, except sotn because itw as the only game other thn dead rising and crackdown i owned for my 360. th yakuza series is some drat win aand sleeping dogs is cool as poo poo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Life is Strange, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, & Earthbound

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

v. close tie between Undertale and Talos Principle

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Witcher 3 technically came out last year, but that feels like cheating so I'm gonna say FFIX or We Love Katamari.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Peddle2thaMetal posted:

I've been meaning to go back and play some classics that I haven't played or haven't completed..

One I recently finished that I hadn't beat before is Fallout New Vegas; was pretty good, probably the best of the new age fallouts imo. Dunno if the DLCs are worth it or not

The last one, Lonesome Road, is really good, and I liked Honest Hearts and Old World Blues a fair bit. I wasn't as big a fan of Dead Money.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Resident Evil 4 was a lot of fun and not that scarry.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
The Talos Principle is fantastic, and I really liked Live a Live. It's definitely in my top 5 fan-translated console JRPGs of all time

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Got a bad rear end over here

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

It's a little bit scary. I bet you got scared at some parts

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I'm mature enough to admit that at various times in that game I was P.Spooped.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
I owned Ori and the Blind Forest for at least a year and a half before I actually played it and found out it's really very good

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I gained a new appreciation for the FF XIII series.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

rediscover posted:

It's a little bit scary. I bet you got scared at some parts

Nope. In fact I started laughing at the regenerators/iron maiden's and when the guy jumps out of the furnace I stretched and yawned and almost immediately settled into a nap (great dreams)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

net cafe scandal posted:

Nope. In fact I started laughing at the regenerators/iron maiden's and when the guy jumps out of the furnace I stretched and yawned and almost immediately settled into a nap (great dreams)

Don't lie. Those were all scary things.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Shovel Knight probably.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

Well drat. Color me impressed.. those were the most scariest parts for me when I played it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regen monsters scared me really bad the first time I played and I still actively dread them when I replay the game.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bill Barber posted:

Shovel Knight probably.

I need to get this game. Which version is the best? I've heard 3DS is good.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

buy it on your compy dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

NickRoweFillea posted:

I need to get this game. Which version is the best? I've heard 3DS is good.

no joke, every version is good

playstation version has an extra boss fight, xbox one verison has an extra level, wii u has amiibo coop and a customization mode, 3ds has 3d and the amiibo customization, and pc is.... good... its pc

• Locked thread