Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

This guy named Randy is making a Friday the 13th game.

http://f13game.com/

Jason Voorhees is unleashed and stalking the grounds of Camp Crystal Lake! Now we need your help to make this game an amazing reality!
Estimated Shipping Date: Early 2017

They actually don't need your support any more, the game had a closed beta from Dec 20th-25th and the developers are currently marching toward full release. No other closed beta tests have been scheduled, as of yet. The developers... actually seem to have their poo poo together. They take feedback in stride and provide intelligent and direct answers over on :reddit:. They give me hope, is what I'm saying.

Counselor gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgzrYwKOeok

Jason kills (If you never play this game, at least watch this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ECFkseQKDc

Game Setup
In lobby, up to 8 players will join. Each will select a loadout for a counselor, and a loadout for Jason. Once the game starts, one lucky person will be selected to run as Jason, the rest with their counselor. Then the fun begins! :getin:

Playing as Counselor

Counselors have a grand total of FOUR methods to survive the match (you will not survive the match):
-Escaping in a vehicle
-Escaping by foot to the police
-Match time (I think it's ~25 minutes before J gets called home for dinner)
-Killing Jason

Counselors will spawn on the map, mostly spread out, but being 7 of you there will generally be someone nearby. You will roam around, looting useful and not useful things from cabins. As counselor you want to find components for the car, and/or the phone box to repair and phone the police. Your options to deal with Jason are to hide, run, or fight. You can also just wait by the closest fireplace to witness the best video game animation ever created.

To repair one of the vehicles, you will need to acquire a set of keys, a battery, and gas. You then need to start the car and drive out. Do you take your friends? Do you try to off road through the woods? Can Jason stop the car by smashing the hood like King Kong? These are the questions you need to ask yourself before you are brutally killed.

Calling the police is much more reliable, which involves repairing a phone line and phoning the popo. The phone line requires a fuse, which will spawn somewhere in the nearby camp of the phone box. The phone box is located at a random camp. After the phone is repaired and the popo are called, a five minute timer will start. The police will then arrive and one of the exits will open for counselors to escape.

Both of the above methods involve quick time events, screwing them up will slow down the action and make noise. This is especially problematic on the phone line, which is harder to repair and alerts everyone directly with an audible tone. Any Jason worth his salt is keeping a close eye on that phone line, so if you screw it up, you are in for a good murderin'. Counselor stats play a big role in how easy the QTE is for you.

Speaking of which: each counselor has different stats.

Strength: How hard you hit Jason, improving your chance to stun him, also affects your ability to take hits from Jason. (lol, ur dead)

Intelligence: How fast + easy the QTE's are for your character.

Stealth: How easily you hide, lowers Jasons chance to see your noise you when using sense.

Composure: How easily Jason raises your fear level. High fear makes everything harder, and you whimper like a little girl. Why is this bad? Jason sees you light up like a big red bag of meat when he uses sense.

Stamina: How much stamina you have. This is used for sprinting.

Speed: How fast your character is.

(Update forthcoming for individual counselors, each counselor has unique sets of stats and abilities)

Playing as Jason

Ahhh so you were lucky enough to get to play the man himself? Playing Jason is fun as hell, and you will be enjoying it. Your objective is simple: kill them all!

Jason has access to four abilities which unlock as the match progresses:

Sense: Allows you to see the silhouettes of nearby sense-able counselors. This also shows indications of noise. Cabins with counselors in them will be lit up, but not the exact location of them within. Sense is critical for tracking counselors and keeping tabs on what means of escape they are working on.

You will sense counselors based on their fear level and sound they make High stealth characters will make low / hard to detect noise. Counselors with low fear will not show up as gigantic red meatbag shadows on your screen.

Shift: Jason disappears and trans locates a short distance, controllable by the player. A short-range sprint useful for catching + grabbing counselors. There's lots of big tears over this abiliy and the balance thereof.

Morph: Jason teleports a long-distance to anywhere on the map, but not very accurately. Very useful and important to use wisely.

Rage: Halfway through the match Jason enters rage mode, making him harder to stun and he can break down doors instantly.

Jason also comes in multiple flavors: (New Jasons being added / updated periodically, these are the 3 from beta)

Jason III The classic.

This Jason carries a massive felling axe which he deftly wields to maim his helpless victims.
STRENGTHS: Fast, Stun resistant, Morphing
WEAKNESSES: Sensing, Swimming, Shifting

Jason VII Water Jason.

This Jason is a slow, menacing hulk of evil. Jason VII carries the classic machete which can be used to eviscerate those unsuspecting teenagers.
STRENGTHS: Swim speed, Sensing, Grip Strength
WEAKNESSES: Slower, Morphing, Stun resistance

Jason II Baghead.

Jason II is the re imagining of the first Jason Voorhees appearance in Friday the 13th Part II. He conceals his deformed face with an old burlap sack and wields a pickaxe to drive into the skulls of his foes.
STRENGTHS: Fast, Sensing, Morphing
WEAKNESSES: Swimming, Shifting, Stun resistance

First impressions:

Naturally comparisons will be drawn between this game and DbD. I primarily play killer on DbD and find survivor unenjoyable in that game - this is the perspective I draw my opinions from.

-Game is fun and good
-Bugs galore, some are silly / funny while others lock your character at a nightstand for the entire game until Jason finds you.
-The kills are amazingly gory and brutal and they are the best part of the game.
-Some balance issues, but it's refreshingly decent as far as a beta goes. Good counselors are a pain in the rear end to catch, good Jasons are neigh impossible to get away from.
-Creates good tension feels.
-Theme and environment is spot on
-14 year olds taunting you over voice comms is annoying and spoils my immersion.
-:reddit: has lots of dumb balance ideas.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I would love a key!

But looks like you don't have pm's :yayclod:

My steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/air-

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
A remake of the timeless classic.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love the idea of Dead by Daylight but something felt off about it, maybe not having that kind of iconic killer is the It-factor. http://steamcommunity.com/id/pierson/home/ would be super-cool if you still have a key left since you don't, as mentioned, have PMs!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I am an idiot, also Lowtax is a cheap bastard. Codes sent, two left!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/widespread/

I guess I can take a code off yer hands.

Also add PM's. Also also, Friday the 13th (the Game!): Add PM's.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Sounds fun, I'll give it a try.
edit:

Thanks

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 21, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
and dictator makes 4, codes / requests sent.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can we set up a Friday the Goonsteenth steam group or something? I barely use Steam or I would if I could.

Here's a discord why not https://discord.gg/Sbamn

Not that I've gotten into a game or anything yet

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 21, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I would love a key if anyone has spares.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983301351

E:

weekly font posted:

Can we set up a Friday the Goonsteenth steam group or something? I barely use Steam or I would if I could.

Here's a discord why not https://discord.gg/Sbamn

Not that I've gotten into a game or anything yet

That link is expired.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 21, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
E:Hit quote instead of edit

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I can't even get into a game :( Was hoping to play since it's not peak hours right now but this is kinda depressing.

e:

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/812001849695961090

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/812002075777396741

air- fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 22, 2016

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What I've been able to play so far has been enjoyable. My daughter was freaking out when she heard the Jason sounds so I think they have a winner if they get the server issues worked out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Skoll posted:

I would love a key if anyone has spares.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983301351

E:

That link is expired.

Ah crap. I'm finding the servers generally usable now and the game extremely fun to play which is exciting consider it's a beta and we have less than 33% of what will be available at launch.

Once we get the real game I'll try to figure out a steam group.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If there's any keys left, I'd like to give it a shot.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ROBOBALBOA

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I too would like to test 80s murder simulater.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999057870

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Can we talk about the game in public yet. I know streamers can but like, what about goons on a dead gay comedy forum.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

widespread posted:

Can we talk about the game in public yet. I know streamers can but like, what about goons on a dead gay comedy forum.

Yes we can, in fact, here is my favorite game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tU3m93UitM

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So the beta has been extended until the 25th, if you're looking for keys, check the STEAM forums for the game, or the official Twitter as they will occasionally have people giving them out. As buggy and as "beta" as the game is - it can be LOTS of fun.

The following is why you play this game: (Jason killmove compilation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAVICG-5sg0

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just wanna make double sure, so as confirm I'm not insane :

These keys are literally just for the beta, correct, and will not give access to the full game upon it's release?

I know it's a stupid thing to hope for, but you never know sometimes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Skoll posted:

I just wanna make double sure, so as confirm I'm not insane :

These keys are literally just for the beta, correct, and will not give access to the full game upon it's release?

I know it's a stupid thing to hope for, but you never know sometimes.

Literally just for the beta and do not grant access to the full game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Literally just for the beta and do not grant access to the full game.

Thanks. I'll probably end up buying this in January since the beta is so fun.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One thing I really like is that they added in multiple objectives compared to Dead by Daylight. The killer always knows you're going for generators then one of two doors to escape. In this one Jason has to constantly bounce around because while one group might be getting parts for a car a few others might be getting the cops. It adds a lot more of a dynamic play for the counselors where in DbD all the dynamic choices are really with the killer in a match. As a survivor in DbD you never really feel proactive but more passive and reactive and it's nice to have a feeling of more agency compared to fix generator/run away

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One thing I really like is that they added in multiple objectives compared to Dead by Daylight. The killer always knows you're going for generators then one of two doors to escape. In this one Jason has to constantly bounce around because while one group might be getting parts for a car a few others might be getting the cops. It adds a lot more of a dynamic play for the counselors where in DbD all the dynamic choices are really with the killer in a match. As a survivor in DbD you never really feel proactive but more passive and reactive and it's nice to have a feeling of more agency compared to fix generator/run away

When I first started this beta, I was thinking this game was more one-dimensional than DbD, which disappointed me. As I play more and get better with both Jason / counselors - I am believing the opposite now. It's very hard to get away from a good Jason, it's very hard to catch a good counselor. It's very fun to kill and be killed.

The only thing I find repetitive is the music, at times.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Team work also means a lot more. Calling out to someone Jason is chasing to follow you, rounding a cabin, going into a combat stance then smashing Jason with a bat when he blindly chases the person around the corner is Pretty Cool

EDIT: by the way how does Jason's sense work? Does it highlight people only making noise or highlights them no matter what? If it's just noise it'll make radios and firecrackers much more important to me

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 24, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Team work also means a lot more. Calling out to someone Jason is chasing to follow you, rounding a cabin, going into a combat stance then smashing Jason with a bat when he blindly chases the person around the corner is Pretty Cool

EDIT: by the way how does Jason's sense work? Does it highlight people only making noise or highlights them no matter what? If it's just noise it'll make radios and firecrackers much more important to me

Think of Jason's sense as having three tiers:

Tier 1) Obviously sensed: "The red silhouette" Jason will see an outline of your character in bright red. He will easily be able to find you in cover, and/or morph to your proximity. If you are in a cabin and he is outside, he will see the entire cabin as red. He will not be able to detect your exact location inside the cabin, only that you are inside. Vanessa trying to crouch and hide will likely still be Tier 1 unless on the other side of the map and crouched.

Tier 2) Sort-of sensed: "The noise pulses" Jason will see a small pulsing circle where you are. Fireworks appear this way to Jason. When inside a cabin, sensed counselors who are hiding and radios will appear as Tier 2. From a distance, these are hard to pinpoint the exact location of.

Tier 3) Not sensed: "Jack poo poo" Jason sees no indication of you. You are too far away, too good at stealth, or hiding well.

This is all situational and depends on a bunch of factors. Distance is a major factor. Jason VII is better at sensing than Jason III. Late-game Jason is better at sensing then early game. If you are on the other side of the map, even Vanessa (runner chick) can be Tier 3. However, Vanessa is almost always a Tier 1 sense if anywhere nearby, and a Tier 1 across the map by end game. Rocker chick is very good at stealth and can exist as Tier 3 much of the time. She can actually hide and stuff.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 24, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Last 2 games I went 7/7 with Jason VII. :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ah ok that makes sense. I was wondering why Jason kept running right past me to chase after others. Like 90% of the people I see playing are the chick really good at running. Might explain why Jason can kill people so fast all the time since they light up like a Christmas tree the entire time

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Last 2 games I went 7/7 with Jason VII. :getin:

Yeah, Jason 7 is for the experts, I feel. That lack of a run DOES matter when chasing, so you gotta get creative/turtle-ish.

Also, a proposed new title because my last two counselor games went that way: Friday the 13th (the Game): Calling the Police Is Too OP

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ah ok that makes sense. I was wondering why Jason kept running right past me to chase after others. Like 90% of the people I see playing are the chick really good at running. Might explain why Jason can kill people so fast all the time since they light up like a Christmas tree the entire time

How to kill Vanessa:

Step 1) Get to late game without the cops being called.
Step 2) Kill Vanessa

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

widespread posted:

Yeah, Jason 7 is for the experts, I feel. That lack of a run DOES matter when chasing, so you gotta get creative/turtle-ish.

Also, a proposed new title because my last two counselor games went that way: Friday the 13th (the Game): Calling the Police Is Too OP

Jason VII is all about objective denial. Once late game hits and he can shift as much as he wants, he will catch you. The trick is to land a couple of melee hits on the shifts, rather than going for the grab straight off. So satisfying to hunt down an injured and out of stamina counselor with him.

I like the one where he runs the machete from their throat down the torso. Not the kill itself, but the little shove at the end.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Jason VII is all about objective denial. Once late game hits and he can shift as much as he wants, he will catch you. The trick is to land a couple of melee hits on the shifts, rather than going for the grab straight off. So satisfying to hunt down an injured and out of stamina counselor with him.

I like the one where he runs the machete from their throat down the torso. Not the kill itself, but the little shove at the end.

Now, while the police are still OP (Seriously, why is it that all 7 can go to the police exit, shouldn't it be just 1 and after the cars are fixed), I did figure out that Jason has a map legend on his map so he can do the objectives relatively quickly. But the thing is, I dunno if there's any benefit to nabbing the power boxes. I know you could disable the phone and all but like... does removing all three power boxes do anything?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

widespread posted:

Now, while the police are still OP (Seriously, why is it that all 7 can go to the police exit, shouldn't it be just 1 and after the cars are fixed), I did figure out that Jason has a map legend on his map so he can do the objectives relatively quickly. But the thing is, I dunno if there's any benefit to nabbing the power boxes. I know you could disable the phone and all but like... does removing all three power boxes do anything?

It increases their fear levels more quickly I think. Visually they will need flashlights to see much inside the houses to loot things, so you have an easier time seeing where they are inside.

Plus it's all :spooky:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played this yet, obviously, but I can't be the only one who is glad to see the horror game genre become more...mechanical in recent years? Back in the day "survival-horror" was just Resident Evil clones, for the most part, all clunky and kind of similar, adventure games with clumsy combat. Fatal Frame was the best of this batch, and had a unique mechanic, but in recent years we've had Outlast, which is kind of a prototype game if anything else, then Alien: Isolation where the "game" portion is a consistently challenging and interesting game of cat and mouse with an alien; now this game, which is multiplayer horror with an emphasis on gameplay over anything else.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say: I'm glad horror games are attempting to communicate horror through mechanics, rather than the mechanics themselves BEING the source of the horror.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It increases their fear levels more quickly I think. Visually they will need flashlights to see much inside the houses to loot things, so you have an easier time seeing where they are inside.

Plus it's all :spooky:

Ahh. Still a decent idea, would consider between phone line checks.

Also, about Rage mode. There's more to it than just "bust down doors in one touch", yeah? I assume it allows for car snatches?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They do need to pull a page from Dead by Daylight and do something about infinite window jumping. Maybe make it take stamina and if you try you'll trip and stun yourself for a certain length of time if you are low?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They do need to pull a page from Dead by Daylight and do something about infinite window jumping. Maybe make it take stamina and if you try you'll trip and stun yourself for a certain length of time if you are low?

But they did. It's called "Jason breaks the windows so the counselors hurt and kill themselves with each jump through".

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You take damage if you jump through a broken window.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

No if they open the windows before hand he cant break them right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

RBX posted:

No if they open the windows before hand he cant break them right?

He can break them regardless if they're open or not. S'fun to see it go from open to broken in one swing.

• Locked thread