Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone got any tips for being a good Cryptkeeper?

Im thinking about going into the role and im thinking:

-Gotta be Ominous
-A cloak?
-Definitely going to need a crypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhalpfzzFEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Top Hat maybe?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
write down good puns when you think of them. you never know when they'll come in handy.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im thinking of a modern and approachable style. Something like this

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A high quality hood that drapes over the head and creates menacing shadows is a must-have.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Fright down good puns when you think of them. you never know when they'll come in **removes hand** HANDy

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's how you do it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im gonna add Menacing Shadow to my definite to-dos

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jawdins posted:

That's how you do it

Incredible work my man

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Get some lumber, a lot of canned food, and a band of Kobolds. Those guys are insane at making traps, and boy are they some cheap labor.

e: pretty weak on the beejay front tho

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

do you have a shovel or at least a small garden spade this is step one

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
I don't think too much goes on in a crypt so you'll probably be bored until you're laid off. Take all of the tips provided thus far and apply them to working at Arby's.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ranma Fan Art posted:

do you have a shovel or at least a small garden spade this is step one

I spent all my inital capital on sarcophaguses

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
honestly dude it's not about ominosity anymore it's all about the frightful-delightful gallows humor of the long-dead

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It's customary that cryptkeepers be dead.

Maybe you could rub yourself all over with rancid meat instead.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's true that an older generation's cryptkeeper needed a healthy heaping of spooky to stay in business, but kids these days aren't serious about anything, least of all death and dying

they want jokes and maybe even a lecherous gaze at their fleshier parts

reminds them of what you miss so much about being alive, and what they'll soon be missing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you can offer directions to a really good buried treasure, such as an extendable magical grappling hook, that is a shortcut to success in the cryptkeeping world

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

KomodoWagon posted:

Get some lumber, a lot of canned food, and a band of Kobolds. Those guys are insane at making traps, and boy are they some cheap labor.

e: pretty weak on the beejay front tho

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I don't think too much goes on in a crypt so you'll probably be bored until you're laid off. Take all of the tips provided thus far and apply them to working at Arby's.

I think Kobolds definitely go in a crypt wether I like it or not

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you can offer directions to a really good buried treasure, such as an extendable magical grappling hook, that is a shortcut to success in the cryptkeeping world

Im gonna offer Cryptic advice

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
If you can make yourself look like Tony Todd that would be a big plus.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Making your way to the inner mausoleum has many pitfalls. Hooohhhahhaaaa

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
most cryptkeepers really fall down on keeping their crypts clean and tidy so you can really set yourself apart by mopping/dusting/etc on a regular basis

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

most cryptkeepers really fall down on keeping their crypts clean and tidy so you can really set yourself apart by mopping/dusting/etc on a regular basis

I imagine keeping the place tidy to begin with is probably gonna be alot more cost efficient than hiring adventurers down the line.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
biggest foreseeable issues:

1. vampyros
2. necromancers
3. global trend towards cremation

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
Keep some nice furniture around for the kids who break in in the middle of the night to hold a seance/have sex.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

I imagine keeping the place tidy to begin with is probably gonna be alot more cost efficient than hiring adventurers down the line.

true, unless you were planning on hiring adventurers that will get trapped in giant spider webs whom you can then rob and add their corpses to your ever-growing crypt

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Isaac posted:

Making your way to the inner mausoleum has many pitfalls. Hooohhhahhaaaa

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Candles?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i suggest keeping items of middling value inside crates or jars, something that makes a big mess when it gets broken, and that you can put together with lots of others in a corner somewhere

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

booby traps are a plus, but they should have a consistent theme. decide in advance what kind of cryptkeeper you are: do you like water? maybe bats. if you got into a fight, would your tendency be to stand and fight, or run away? or maybe to attack from a distance?

just some stuff to consider.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Moltke posted:

biggest foreseeable issues:

1. vampyros
2. necromancers
3. global trend towards cremation

If 1 and 2 know fire spells I got an answer to number 3: Urns

nomadologique posted:

i suggest keeping items of middling value inside crates or jars, something that makes a big mess when it gets broken, and that you can put together with lots of others in a corner somewhere

Urns

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

booby traps are a plus, but they should have a consistent theme. decide in advance what kind of cryptkeeper you are: do you like water? maybe bats. if you got into a fight, would your tendency be to stand and fight, or run away? or maybe to attack from a distance?

just some stuff to consider.

Im thinking of putting some bone traps outside of the Tomb of the Skeleton King. Its only a name for now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The Tomb of the Skeleton King's Boner

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Consider placing an orb on the bottom level and then advertising it in adventure magazines.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

well nobody is gonna praise you for creativity as an "undead" themed cryptkeeper, but why fix what ain't broken.

it's all in the execution anyway. is there anything special about your bone minions, for instance? do they have sharp bones? red bones that scorch, or blue bones that freeze? do you have access to any floating-skull farms? a couple of these bad boys firing laser beams from their mouths can really help brighten up an otherwise dreary crypt!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mozi posted:

The Tomb of the Skeleton King's Boner

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

well nobody is gonna praise you for creativity as an "undead" themed cryptkeeper, but why fix what ain't broken.

it's all in the execution anyway. is there anything special about your bone minions, for instance? do they have sharp bones? red bones that scorch, or blue bones that freeze? do you have access to any floating-skull farms? a couple of these bad guys firing laser beams from their mouths can really help brighten up an otherwise dreary crypt!

I got a new theme idea: Green Grocer

12 ghosts follow you yelling over the top of eachother how vinny is taking too long to cut watermelons.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Keep some malicious ghosts in several urns to keep visitors on their toes after opening a few with middling goods

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

now that's what i'm tolkien about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006