Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Harold Hering, a dude in the air force waaaay back in the ancient history of the republic asked the following question

quote:

"How can I know that an order I receive to launch my missiles came from a sane president?"

then the airforce was like lol thats not within the scope of yo poo poo

and hering replied

quote:

"I have to say, I feel I do have a need to know, because I am a human being. It is inherent in an officer's commission that he has to do what is right in terms of the needs of the nation despite any orders to the contrary. You really don't know at the time of key turning, whether you are complying with your oath of office."

and the airfoce was like noice meltdown and fired him.

so, ethics etc, is there any way for a air force ICBM officer to know that the launch order to kill millions of people came from a sane president? Should our ICBM officers question a launch order from president trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The only way to be sure is to launch the missiles BEFORE he asks, op

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

why would you question it. drown the world in fire :unsmigghh:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if the order arrives, the president isn't sane

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's pretty simple really

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
shut the gently caress up and launch those nukes at san francisco

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

so, ethics etc, is there any way for a air force ICBM officer to know that the launch order to kill millions of people came from a sane president? Should our ICBM officers question a launch order from president trump?

i thought there wasn't even any way for them to know if it's a real launch or a drill, and if they don't launch, they lose their jobs. So like the electoral college, there's no reason for there to even be people there, so we could cut costs by just setting up a twitter bot that donald can tell what continents to nuke

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Duscat posted:

i thought there wasn't even any way for them to know if it's a real launch or a drill, and if they don't launch, they lose their jobs. So like the electoral college, there's no reason for there to even be people there, so we could cut costs by just setting up a twitter bot that donald can tell what continents to nuke

I believe the portion where they do not know if it is a real launch or a drill is restricted to the time of receiving an order and deciphering it

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
this whole scenario is absurd, we have a system that prevents insane people from becoming president and which allows for presidents to be removed from power if they go insane

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dairy Days posted:

I believe the portion where they do not know if it is a real launch or a drill is restricted to the time of receiving an order and deciphering it

^^

and if you dont think that that is the case, just for the sake of SUPER ETHICAL discussion assume they do know when its a drill vs real launch

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you could probably deduce whether or not it's real by just being up-to-date on current events

world at peace, nothing interesting happening: this order to nuke berlin is probably not legit
putin just took over alaska: maybe this might be the real deal

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

this whole scenario is absurd, we have a system that prevents insane people from becoming president and which allows for presidents to be removed from power if they go insane

what about drunk? people were worried that nixon would get blackout drunk and order something absurd. so there are rumors that at times nixon was cut out of the chain of command for nukes by having another guy in the loop

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
How can he know? Simple, the only sane move is to launch the missiles and face to bloodshed

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the answer is to launch your missiles but send one towards the white house

if it was real, DC was going to be nuked anyway so who cares
if it was from an insane prez, congrats you saved the world

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's never ethical to launch nukes to kill billions of people and probably set back human civilization a hundred years or more.

The threat to launch can serve as a deterrent, but it must ultimately be a bluff.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

logikv9 posted:

the answer is to launch your missiles but send one towards the white house

if it was real, DC was going to be nuked anyway so who cares
if it was from an insane prez, congrats you saved the world

No no you gotta send them towards the ocean

Duscat posted:

It's never ethical to launch nukes to kill billions of people and probably set back human civilization a hundred years or more.

The threat to launch can serve as a deterrent, but it must ultimately be a bluff.

Counterpoint: Gotta burn the forest down to make way for new growth

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

what about drunk? people were worried that nixon would get blackout drunk and order something absurd. so there are rumors that at times nixon was cut out of the chain of command for nukes by having another guy in the loop

would you be able to order a nuclear launch without getting drunk first?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I think equally frightening is the incredible technology gap between current computer systems (even govt systems) and the actual technology our nuclear missile programs utilize. there was a report that came out 2 or 3 years back that found that a significant portion of our nuclear missile programs are still being run off of hardware that was cutting edge in the early 1980's - poo poo like floppy disks and computers with less memory than is now in a kids' Speak & Spell toy. this also included woefully inadequate auxiliary systems like a perimeter defense alarm that could be set off by something as simple as tossing a snowball across the sensor line (way too easy to get a false positive), and that was assuming that the alarm even activated in the first place.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Counterpoint: Gotta burn the forest down to make way for new growth

what if the fire also salts the earth

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
nuclear as the first option would answer your question

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Yinlock posted:

Even better!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think equally frightening is the incredible technology gap between current computer systems (even govt systems) and the actual technology our nuclear missile programs utilize. there was a report that came out 2 or 3 years back that found that a significant portion of our nuclear missile programs are still being run off of hardware that was cutting edge in the early 1980's - poo poo like floppy disks and computers with less memory than is now in a kids' Speak & Spell toy. this also included woefully inadequate auxiliary systems like a perimeter defense alarm that could be set off by something as simple as tossing a snowball across the sensor line (way too easy to get a false positive), and that was assuming that the alarm even activated in the first place.

i kinda want to see a situation where trump and whoever goes insane and launches all their nukes at each-other only to discover that every last one is a dud because they're all old and lovely

"awkward"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I was expecting the apocalypse and all I got was this really embarrassed silence

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

there's no way to know, megadeath is certain OP

quote:

Right now thousands of missiles are hidden away, literally out of sight, topped with warheads and ready to go, awaiting the right electrical signal. They are a collective death wish, barely suppressed. Every one of them is an accident waiting to happen, a potential act of mass murder. They are out there, waiting, soulless and mechanical, sustained by our denial— and they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w&t=474s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OP that's why it only takes like 1/3rd of the silo crew to actually launch the thing.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think equally frightening is the incredible technology gap between current computer systems (even govt systems) and the actual technology our nuclear missile programs utilize. there was a report that came out 2 or 3 years back that found that a significant portion of our nuclear missile programs are still being run off of hardware that was cutting edge in the early 1980's - poo poo like floppy disks and computers with less memory than is now in a kids' Speak & Spell toy.

What's frightening about that? They can't be wirelessly hacked into if that's what you're insinuating and their simplicity ensures they are less susceptible to interference whether electrical or kinetic.

I think running important military hardware off tech a few generations old is standard procedure actually iirc because it is way easier to harden and more reliable. The things gotta get up into space so they've gotta be really radiation resistant otherwise the electronics would all just get fried.

e: It's like you know the xbox was all fancy relative to a N64 but I went through 4 of those suckers while my N64 still works just fine.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Dec 21, 2016

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Duscat posted:

what if those billions of people are infected by the rage virus? what then smart guy, huh?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Yinlock posted:

if poo poo is growing in chernobyl, i dont think nukes would salt the earth for that long

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its the massive amount of dust thats kicked up by the cities and forests that are engulfed by firestorm that clouds the world

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

even then, life will still return
no way humans are more destructive than that giant meteor that destroyed the dinosaurs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
meh we could runway greenhouse, evaporate all the oceans and also inject enough sulfur dioxide into atmosphere to make us a moist venus. sure bacteria will live for a bit, but we could venusize the planet with a concentrated international effort and a thousand years or so

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Baloogan posted:

meh we could runway greenhouse, evaporate all the oceans and also inject enough sulfur dioxide into atmosphere to make us a moist venus. sure bacteria will live for a bit, but we could venusize the planet with a concentrated international effort and a thousand years or so

evaporate all the oceans? thats the craziest idea in the world. the amount of energy that would take is maaaaaaassssssiiiiiiivvve

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

evaporate all the oceans? thats the craziest idea in the world. the amount of energy that would take is maaaaaaassssssiiiiiiivvve

thats not even the craziest idea ive had this HOUR

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

this is probably not possible, there's not enough carbon in all the fossil fuels that exist to do it by CO2 alone, and the more potent greenhouse gases will be harder to manufacture once the biosphere can no longer support humans

i mean, i guess if we automated that job... yeah, in a deliberate plan to literally sterilize the world, heating up the planet would be the way to go

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Duscat posted:

this is probably not possible, there's not enough carbon in all the fossil fuels that exist to do it by CO2 alone, and the more potent greenhouse gases will be harder to manufacture once the biosphere can no longer support humans

i mean, i guess if we automated that job... yeah, in a deliberate plan to literally sterilize the world, heating up the planet would be the way to go

thats the runaway part, we just need to get it to the point where the seas are evaporating at a rate above replacement, H2O, a powerful greenhouse gas, will get us there! we can help things along by doing things like intentionally evaporating the meditteranian, refilling it, doing that over and over. covering the sea in a substance that increases evaporation

this prob would flood the low lying parts of the world, plus constant hurricains everywhere etc

we also could intentionally set fire to all the coal fields, gas fields etc and use nuclear weapons to trigger seismic and volcanic events too!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm going to say its unethical to do so tho

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the answer is clearly to hook up the silos to a sophisticated AI that can make these decisions for us, and also play chess with us

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
watch the hunt for red october baloogan it will answer all of your questions

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

thats the runaway part, we just need to get it to the point where the seas are evaporating at a rate above replacement, H2O, a powerful greenhouse gas, will get us there! we can help things along by doing things like intentionally evaporating the meditteranian, refilling it, doing that over and over. covering the sea in a substance that increases evaporation

this prob would flood the low lying parts of the world, plus constant hurricains everywhere etc

we also could intentionally set fire to all the coal fields, gas fields etc and use nuclear weapons to trigger seismic and volcanic events too!

the seas aren't going to keep evaporating though, because there's going to be an equilibrium point, i mean, what's the pressure under a kilometer of water, because that's gonna be the pressure at sea level once it's all in the atmosphere, and the boiling point will be that much higher

also i don't think nuke volcanoes are going to do much globablly unless you can somehow trigger the yellowstone supervolcano (which is still more likely to cool things down than heat them up)

Baloogan posted:

I'm going to say its unethical to do so tho

negative utilitarians might disagree, but :agreed:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just don't ever give the order to fire em ever under any circumstances but keep that hush hush because being a humanitarian is gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mnoba posted:

watch the hunt for red october baloogan it will answer all of your questions

you say this like he doesn't have every line memorized

• Locked thread