Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hmmm, this looks like a fun thread!

Bought: Gibson 335 VOS 1963

I needed a main guitar for playing that covered a lot of ground and this is it, got it new and the thing even smells good. It has loads of bluesdad details like animal hide glue, nylon saddles and poo poo but I just play the hell out of it.
it has the MHS pickups which are really nice too. it does everything I ask of it and it has actually enhanced my life by owning it, I get tons of people want to talk about it at gigs etc, it's a really cool side effect.

Bought: Epiphone Sheraton
I bought this before the guitar above with the sole purpose of making the guitar above without spending the $5000 on the guitar above. Mission Status: Complete success / failure.
It succeeded because I put in: Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups, CTS pots, Switchcraft switches, Gibson knobs, Gibson wiring, Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge, Tusq nut and the thing was glorious. It sounded as good as anything I have ever played. The mission was also a failure because it didn't scratch the 335 itch, it made it worse. So I sold it (for a profit!) and moved on.

Bought: Martin DRS 1
I needed an acoustic, I didn't think I wanted one however. I was wrong.
I got this to do acoustic gigs with, having only ever owned a lovely one in the past and never really liking playing it I sort of sucked it up and bought a good solid wood Martin for not too much money. This guitar has changed my playing, I really really enjoy it now. Just the fact that there is nothing but your hands and a lump of wood is so direct and wonderful to me now. I was out last night playing it until 3AM with another buddy on his. Acoustic guitars make magic memories happen imo like nothing else.

Bought: Fender Twin
hosed if I know. I pick it up next week. I just wanted a pure sounding amp and well, lets go with this. What could go wrong?

Sold: Blackstar HT 60 Stage
A truly wonderful and versatile amp. 2 x 2 combo, 3 channels and loads of modern features like an actual good emulated out etc. I sold it because I don't need it now, I bought it to get up and running really and it did its job well. No regrets, would recommend to anyone as it could do everything from nice cleans to OMG HELP ME gain. I practice with a full band and never had it louder than 3, good poo poo.

Bought: Vox 50 head
It's the biggest Night Train they do I think so I went with that. Wanted a simple valve amp to get TONEZ out of at reasonable volumes. It does do that so job done I think. More importantly it looks good.

For this I also bought a set of new Marshall Celestion somethingorothers which I don't like so much, I dunno they sound a bit boxy and I've ended up using an old cab a pal gave me.

Bought: Fulltone Fulldrive 3 and other pedal type things
Needed an overdrive, went with the obvious. It really is a flexible thing and has a seperate boost pedal built into it, good sounds and easy to use. Would recommend if you are in the Soul Food / Klon area of things all the way to Tubescreamer territory.

I've bought various bits of crap like Bigsby's and what have you, loads of stuff I forgot about.

Bought for friends!
Buying stuff for friends is well better than buying for myself, so I got pals a guitar (cheapo Les Paul I put Dimarzios in), cab (2 x 12 with Jensen speakers), Laney 15 watt valve head, Cry Baby, a couple of Polytune clip ons (amazing, get one!) and a variety of cables and picks and poo poo.

Overall it;s been a good year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I like the IDEA of a 335 alot more than I think I would enjoy the 335 itself. That price is loving eye-watering though - north of 3k!?

They are great, it was expensive but gently caress it, you only live once and all that. You can absolutely approximate it by getting a Sheraton and some nice pickups if you want to test the waters, you don't have to go full idiot like me. You hit a chord and you hear sounds off records, it's that kind of guitar.
It gets used and abused though, first thing I did was get a Gator case for it cos the case it came with is a custom thing and I was in the ridiculous position of being paranoid about a case getting dinged at gigs for a short while :negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Can I introduce you to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk where wrinklies discuss which of their CS Strats sounds warmer and/or whether their R8 or R9 has more sustain? I'm only kidding, just envious :(

I don't really fit in with those kind of guys, I like nice stuff but it gets played like a fucker. I believe music should make you happy and if that means sitting in your room polishing stuff then that's cool, but it's so not me :v: I'll never forget the multi page thread about whether Jimmy Page's tone was affected by his tuning pegs I once saw, ha ha, I love stuff like that because it is so ridiculous and the guys thrashing it out all had boutique amps and mint R8s in their forum sigs.

Shiroc posted:

I used to have a Custom Shop '59 335 that I sold. I've bought and sold a lot of guitars and of all of them, that's the only one that feels like it was a mistake. I'm not sure if it is because I really liked it or if it is because I don't think I will ever find one nicer than it was.

There is something nice about having a custom shop, I dunno, it does float my boat I must admit. I fell in love with the specs on this though and it being a VOS or CS or whatever was secondary for sure. I know I'd feel like you if I sold mine too, the plan is it is a life long guitar for sure. Others may come and go but this will stay :)

• Locked thread