Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though it might be fun to get a little mini-review/retrospective for us as a group of significant for you gear bought and sold over the last year. It would be really nice to have a little blurb, like so:

Sold - Various Orange Amps/Cabs
I started the year with a Micro Dark and a 2x12, then upgraded the Micro Dark to a Crush 120 - finally putting an MXR 5150 and JHS Andy Timmons v2 infront of them - it ended up alot of big, heavy, expensive gear with far too many dials and toggles. I traded the lot in and used a tax refund to get myself...

Bought - Friedman Runt-20 Head and 1x12 Creamback Cab
... my dream amplifier - I heard clips of this online and initially thought it was entirely hype. Having played Blackstars (where I preferred a british voicing) Fenders (which I didn't get on with at all) and Orange - I found the mid-gain on the orange to be the most pleasing. I went to a local shop wishing that they wouldn't sound as good as the demos advised - but after checking the Runt, the Pink Taco, the Dirty Shirley, a Suhr Badger 18 and even a Mesa Mk. 5:25 it was a clear winner for that plexi-through-JCM800 sound and it sounds/sounded AWESOME. Definitely not looking to change anything in this space for the foreseeable future.

Bought - Gibson Explorer 2016
I picked it up cheaply because 'the pickups rock back and forth if you push them' which AFAIK is just what uncovered, gibson pickups do - around £350 under retail and still fantastic. It sounds divine but I was a little dissapointed how much the upper bout of the body interferes with my arm position while sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I wanted a "real" guitar rig.

And so you're doing your guitar work with simulators now? I'm really throwing my toys out of the pram with the computer these days, trying to figure out how I can extricate myself but drums. DRUMS. what a oval office.

peter gabriel posted:

Bought: Gibson 335 VOS 1963
I needed a main guitar for playing that covered a lot of ground and this is it, got it new and the thing even smells good. It has loads of bluesdad details like animal hide glue, nylon saddles and poo poo but I just play the hell out of it.

I like the IDEA of a 335 alot more than I think I would enjoy the 335 itself. That price is loving eye-watering though - north of 3k!?

Professor Science posted:

Oops, I haven't sold anything.

Bought: some software

Bought the Fender 2 pack for Amplitube a few days ago (it sounds very good and has satisfied my desire for classic American amps), the Waves gold plugin pack, and Superior Drummer.

See above, please let me know how you get on with SD. I'm very close to chucking the whole PC recording thing in the bin and Drums are literally the only thing stopping me at this point. I'm even trying to figure out how I can use something like an Arturia Drumbrute in concert with an early thrash/black metal sound. (I figure they'll work as-is for that synth laden Vai sound)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

They are great, it was expensive but gently caress it, you only live once and all that.

Can I introduce you to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk where wrinklies discuss which of their CS Strats sounds warmer and/or whether their R8 or R9 has more sustain? I'm only kidding, just envious :(

• Locked thread