Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Throughout the last year I've acquired and gotten rid of several stuff, so here's the highlights!

Bought: Yamaha HS7

Previously worked with Tannoy and KRK Rokits, so I wanted something different as I found my lower end struggling. Although the HS7 doesn't have the ample low-end HS8's give you, it does force you into not overloading your basses too much. Does give plenty of detail over all frequencies, so unless you're a DJ looking for bass-heavy monitors, you might find these as that perfect middle ground before dropping bigger bucks in bigger monitors.

Bought: Focusrite Clarett 4Pre

After acquiring a newer Macbook Pro and learning the firewire-thunderbolt support for my previous Saffire interface really sucks, I found I needed the Thunderbolt upgrade. It's the bees knees. Not only is the latency THAT much notable (drummer can't distinguish if he hears the snare earlier on his headphones or acoustically), but the AIR thing does give choices for recording. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, as you do get some high-end crisp and "air", but lose out on low-end detail notable from Focusrite's cleaner preamps. Routing options are stellar for the price range and I do feel the higher input headroom benefits for higher dynamic range recordings, but I also feel I could have waited longer for something by Antelope Audio. Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier with this interface paired with a Octopre, I honestly don't feel I need anything else to record a full band.

Sold: Ukulele, Crybaby Wah

Never got the hang of these things. loving glad I got rid of it, sometimes you just got to accept you're not going to dwell much into some instruments and effects.

Bought: Electrovoice RE20

Seems like the right choice always is an SM7b. But almost all sound engineers I've befriended have one of these, so I end up borrowing when doing vocals. I didn't want to go with what everyone els has, as living in Costa Rica limits choices, so I decided to get one of these. I've heard these are best on vocals and bass drums, but I'm really digging the full bodied sound these capture from snares. Sure, large diaphragm microphones are beasts on the lower register, but I quite love what's going on with this guy and somehow things have more punch than before (however, I still can't decide if I prefer the Shure on vocals over this, I've only had it for a month and haven't mixed any vocals with it)

Bought: Tobias Growler 4-string bass

I've played mostly guitar throughout my music life, so I settled with a Squier P-Bass since it's all I needed. Wrong. A friend left this Tobias with Bartolini pickups and who knows what else, and I slowly started playing more and more with it and just having a nice set up and good pickups makes it all that much more fun, so I had to buy it. Now playing in a new band, I think this thing really makes my playing shine through, as it has the widest options of sounds I've found on any bass (although I pretty much just use a couple of sounds), and although pricier than those Sire basses everybody is talking about, a bass guitar upgrade does open you up to that whole world. It's a little over a decade old, so it also feels like the wood has settled in, can't really explain as I'm not well versed in what's good in the bass world. I'm just convinced this is the best bass I've had the chance to play with.

Thought I'd share on these, GAS has hit me hard this last year. I'm going for those Telefunken M60 overheads soon and some newer stuff after I sell my car, so hopefully I'll post something in a few months :).

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread