Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Last year Ubi games didn't go on sale the first day. Just a heads up, they might go on sale later this year too.

Edit: Watch Dogs is on sale but they had Far Cry go on sale first and then AC later so that doesn't prove anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

It just deleted the contents of my cart. It's taken me 34 minutes to add 6 games and now they're gone. Goddamn. They're GONE!

Buying stuff during the first two hours is asking for trouble.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Some off-steam deals.

Doom for $20CAD / $10GBP / $15USD on Gamersgate (the worst named site but otherwise pretty reputable)

Gamersgate is okay as long as you don't want to play the game right away. They do manual reviews of purchases that have taken up to eight hours for me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hopper posted:

General advice for people considering buying Fallout 4 or any other single player game with DLC:
Don't. Wait for the complete edition. Inevitably it will come, probably sooner than you think. And for 30€/$

This advice is especially important as publishers do not to reduce season passes any more before the goty is out. So either you play the game now, then wait for the season pass to be reduced only to forget about the plot e.g. and then to never really pick it up again. Or you buy it as Goty a bit later and then play it all at once for the full experience.

I know this is something everybody should be aware of but it is worth reminding people of.

Bethesda/Zenimax is especially bad at discounting DLC and season passes, which is why a game has to be good enough to buy at launch and be replayable multiple times for me to not wait for the GOTY. Fallout 4 did not cross the treshold, but gamersgate has Dishonored 2 for 30 euros so I pulled the trigger.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Does Dying Light have much in the way of jump scares, and/or does it have elements of survival horror in it? If it's just a fun time parkouring around dropkicking zombies, I'll give it a shot.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it the 120 minute test.

For the record I'm the one person in the universe who isn't interested in playing Alien Isolation at all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

I don't play "horror" games for the same reason, and made it through Dying Light while having a blast. The first few night falls are pretty intense (though you can just stay inside your safe house and not worry about it), but when you level up enough, and get decent weapons, it's fun to turn the "Hunters (as they're called I believe) into the hunted.
If you don't mind spoiling whet the Hunters look like, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Mo4GWZJP4

The game is much better in co-op, but can be played solo.

I hear ya bud.

Yeah this was a really helpful post, I'm gonna take the plunge :)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Figured I would ask here as well:

I was able to pick up Metal Gear Solid V for $16 from DLGamer, but just noticed there is some DLC. Is any of it worth it, or is it all online/multiplayer garbage? I am all for paying $0.50 for a funny/cool outfit for the main campaign.

All the DLC (not the online currency) is cosmetic and entirely ignorable. The outfits can be worn in the campaign after a certain point in the story so knock yourself out if you like any, I suppose.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Palpek posted:

I'd like to talk about another gem that flew under people's radar - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HwkgY0D5A&t=4s

Basically imagine an adventure game where you solve a string of murder mysteries but there's quite a lot of freedom in how you solve the cases:

-There are always 2-3 culprits with believable motivations that you can accuse.
-It's only up to you to find all the clues and get the full picture of the crime. If you only find enough to accuse one person (this requires making logical connections in a special deduction system) you can finish the case right then and there.
-Even when you decide whom to accuse you can choose what to do with the fact: choose the legal way or find a bit more 'unofficial' approach.
-Your final choices can be sometimes pretty tough to decide on as the game doesn't really give you the answer on a silver platter - there is one correct culprit but it's up to you to deduce it from the available evidence.
-After each case your 'morality rating' is adjusted according to your choices and you get letters from people connected with the crimes that give you little epilogues.
-There's some cool gameplay involved like deducing things from the suspects' appearance, doing chemistry analysis, looking up relevant info on found names and symbols etc. It's nice that these things are somewhat more involved than in other games, it feel like doing detective work.

The game also looks absolutely gorgeous and the puzzles are pretty varied. It's pretty much a perfect Sherlock Holmes game and hell, I'll say it - it's the best detective games ever made.

How easy is it to go back and re-do a case if I realize I got the wrong person? While I like the challenge brought by the game not holding your hand through the proceedings, if I miss the right answer I will have to go back and fix it. I'm Sherlock Holmes!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Palpek posted:

You making a choice ends the case so it's the absolute last thing you do during a "level". Which means that there's nothing stopping you from making a savegame at that very moment and choosing again if you're not happy with the outcome. The game also only reveals the correct answer if you insist that it's shown to you so if you wanted you could stay unspoilered and never learn if your choices were right.

Oh that is cool! So I could play through the whole game and then if I set my par at "get it right at least once" I can read up later if I want and then find out if I hit my par. I was afraid I'd get a big "WAH WAH" noise after a case if I made the wrong pick.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I bought Republic Commando tonight because I really should have already owned it.

But yeah if you haven't played Republic Commando it's 2.50 and is some seriously good poo poo.

I replayed Republic Commando last year and it's held up surprisingly well for a 2005 FPS as far as gameplay went. Graphics are what you'd expect. Doesn't take you awful long either, I think the storyline was something like 8-10 hours, which was just right. Also, good voice acting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I did a round of refund/keep - play less than 120 minutes and decide whether the game is worthwhile - with new purchases today.

Memoria

This was actually graciously gifted to me by Xander77, but I played it today along with the other three games. It's a point and click game, which I haven't played since the days of Broken Sword and Grim Fandango. I've always been wary of Adventure Game Logic, and the first chapter already had a fair few AGL situations, requiring me to google a walkthrough before I'd even played for a full hour. Also the game is basically a sequel to another Daedalic game I haven't played (but have seen some videos of, so I already know of some... issues... with characterization in Daedalic games), but the past storyline with the female lead seemed interesting enough. The voice acting for the two leads is okay, but the other roles range from okay to awful. E.g. the VA of the character you meet first off in the game, a minor role to be sure, is pretty drat terrible. Sadly I don't see this keeping my interest for the ten or so hours HLBT gives it.

Dishonored 2

Did you love Dishonored? Play this game. Just make sure you have a beefy rig because I am struggling to get to 60 FPS even with medium-high settings on a 1060.

Have you played Dishonored yet? If not, play that and wait for this one to get cheaper.

Don't have Dishonored yet? Buy it from the sale instead because it's an excellent game. Get the GOTY because the story DLCs are excellent and tie in to the plot in 2.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

I have a long relationship with the HW franchise because the original game was the first game I ever played that had incredible 3D visuals and epic space opera world-building. The final cinematic of Karan S'jet stepping on Hiigara, taking her turn last, still makes me emotional after 17 years.

I had been extremely skeptical of this game despite some of the crew being original HW crew from Relic because of the changed-up setting and the heavy-handed retconning of lore that I love. However, after playing it for a few missions, there's still some of that magic in here, right down to small touches like the gentle "whom" sound you get when entering the Sensors Manager or the idle chatter between your vehicles. The shift to a desert setting has worked fine, you lose out on the incredible backgrounds of the earlier entries -

- but you gain in the strategic element of height differences and duststorms and so on. Actually reminds me a little bit of Ground Control, another Good Old Game.

The campaign is apparently fairly short (eight or so hours) and I have no interest in MP RTSs, so I felt like the original price tag was taking the piss, but getting it for 11 euros and change with the bundle discount (having already owned HW:Remastered) seems right. Threw in the Paul Ruskay score for good measure. Finally, the Gaalsien were right :colbert:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

Last but not least! I'm one of those grognards who prefer Jeremy Brett's Holmes to the Benedict Cumberbatch-Mark Gatiss Holmes - thankyouverymuch - and this Holmes seems to be a bit of a fusion of the original setting with a few ideas borrowed from the Gatiss series (feel free to correct me and tell me the "investigation mode" with the floating text in Frogware games actually predates the BBC show). This Holmes is certainly eccentric, but not quite as manic as Brett's and not as antisocial as Cumberbatch's. It is also the best approximation of the "process" I've experienced in game form so far. The first case is fairly straight-forward and probably intended to be a tutorial, and I clocked it in right under 120 minutes. The game has been gone through in the thread already, and it does in fact do a good job of presenting you with multiple plausible conclusions to draw. I was struggling with an appealingly complicated and "clever" solution that the game had been subtly hinting at, but I took a step back, looked at all the evidence and facts, turned them over in my mind, formulated an alternative, simpler theory, and then realized that within that theory, the little niggling issues left by the other theories fell neatly into place. So not only did this game make me feel smart (my conclusion turned out to be the right one), it made the process organic while throwing in just enough stage tricks and misdirection to keep me off the right path until it was decision time.

What I'm saying is that this game is phenomenal based on the first case and I already feel like I got my money's worth. If you're a Holmes fan or if you like classic detective stories at all (I'm also a Christie junkie), get this loving game. You even get to put on disguises. Impersonating vagrants and sailors and poo poo is a Sherlockism that has been sorely missing in the new series.

The only fly in the ointment was an inscrutable and obtuse arm-wrestling QTE/puzzle that I had to look up some help with to finish. Talking to the guy was absolutely critical to figuring out the correct solution too, although puzzles can be skipped. The other puzzle-puzzles weren't anywhere near as bad. There's also very little of the jank I'd expect from an East European dev.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 28, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Givin posted:

Yeah, awards were exactly what I expected. I don't think I've laughed at how bad something like this was since FTL beat Kentucky Route Zero out on a community vote flash sale.

Wow, I'm not the only one who remembers that! When was it? 2013 Christmas sale?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Steam released their top sellers for all of 2016 and No Mans Sky was in the top ten. Da gently caress? Seriously? People still bought that game even with all the bad press to push it into the top 10 and without a major discount to it?

We have no idea whether it includes refunds or not, for one. But I wouldn't be surprised in the least because game consumers have stopped making sense to me long ago.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Happy new year everyone! I have keys for some games I already have so have at them! Claim em or whatever and I'll PM you or something. (note: i'm not sure WHY i have these dupe keys? I dunno if Humble Bundle gave me dupe keys by accident or if I really did just buy a lot of bundles with overlapping games this past year, so hopefully the gift links work when you get them!)

The Beginner's Guide
Betrayer
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Chroma Squad
Closure
Dropsy
Mars: War Logs
Odallus: The Dark Call
Outland Special Edition
Pix the Cat
Psychonauts
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Ep. 1
Shadowrun Returns
Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
Snakebird
Strider 2014
Styx: Master of Shadows
Technobabylon
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
Trine 2 Complete Story
Westerado: Double Barrelled

I'd love Styx. I can give you one of Her Story/Contraption Maker/System Shock 2 if you somehow don't have one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I wrote a glowing review of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments in here; I'd like to report back in after the second case that the game's holding up, although mystifyingly the second case was if anything a little simpler than the first case. Still assuming/hoping that the remaining four cases are a little more in-depth. I'm having a nagging worry that I'm too genre-smart for the game.

What I liked about the second case was that it wasn't a whodunit as much as it was a howdunit. You figure out fairly quickly what's happened but you need to also figure out how exactly it got done. There was also one moment of interesting misdirection where you see a Morse code key at the desk of a station manager and you start to decipher a poorly formulated telegram with it only to realize that the point wasn't that there was a hidden message, but that the station manager needed a Morse key in the first place. I am not sure if that was on purpose or if I'm just prone to overthinking clues.

Quest For Glory II posted:

got all 3 of those, but check your PMs anyway friend!

Thanks a lot!

• Locked thread